Console Scalpers Are Being Robbed

Apparently people who have been scalping consoles online through sites like Ebay are apparently being robbed in Toronto, Canada and are recommended to sell their consoles face to face with the buyer and keep in close communication with somebody the know in case anything goes wrong.

Quotes

In an unexpected turn of events, it now seems as if certain scalpers are actually being robbed of their next-gen consoles. - Gaming Bible

One or more of those gamers in Toronto, Canada apparently got angry enough to actually start robbing scalpers. According to the Toronto Police, "numerous reports of robberies" have been received by the department from people "selling game systems online." - The Gamer

My thoughts

I personally think this is hilariouse and I'm surprised its in Canada of all places. But hey maybe this might stop a few people from trying to scalp but atleast it shows you how passionate the community.

Sources

Gaming Bible Article 1

The Gamer Article 2

Toronto Police Tweet

fee

Just now, PizzaPeter1998 said:

Apparently people who have been scalping consoles online through sites like Ebay are apparently being robbed in Toronto, Canada and are recommended to sell their consoles face to face with the buyer and keep in close communication with somebody the know in case anything goes wrong.

Quotes

My thoughts

I personally think this is hilariouse and I'm surprised its in Canada of all places. But hey maybe this might stop a few people from trying to scalp but atleast it shows you how passionate the community.

Sources

Gaming Bible Article 1

The Gamer Article 2

Toronto Police Tweet

I should feel bad for the scalpers

But I don't

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Feeling conflicted on this one...

On one hand, fuck scalpers.

On the other hand... Wtf... This is the kind of shit I expect from the US, not Canada.

They say there was some violence and weapons involved... geez... Just hope no one got hurt too badly. Violence is never the answer, no matter how hateful scalpers are.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, PizzaPeter1998 said:

About that "face to face" thing during a pandemic...

8 minutes ago, Downkey said:

I should feel bad for the scalpers

But I don't

That's exactly my thoughts! Morally theft is wrong, but...I just can't bring myself to not feel a certain amount of schadenfreude here.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Those fuckers (scalpers) deserves it!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

Those fuckers (scalpers) deserves it!

Do they really? All they've done is buy something and try to flip it for profit. The worst that they deserve is nobody buying their stuff and they end up losing their money. Robbing someone is way worse than what the scalpers do. If people really want to mess with them they should just not buy from them.

41 minutes ago, PizzaPeter1998 said:

Quotes

My thoughts

Sources

Gaming Bible Article 1

The Gamer Article 2

Toronto Police Tweet

Robbery is many things, but hilarious isn't one of them. 

Karma's a bitch :P

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I don't know how anybody thinks that actually robbing people of stuff that they paid for is justified just because they are trying to make a profit. I'm not fond of scalpers or anything but what they do really just doesn't justify being robbed. There is a reason that robbery is illegal and scalping game consoles isn't. Is a game console really worth risking someone else's life or your own over? You never know how a robbery can escalate and this could easily lead to somebody being seriously injured or even worse.

6 minutes ago, GravityHurts said:

I don't know how anybody thinks that actually robbing people of stuff that they paid for is justified just because they are trying to make a profit. I'm not fond of scalpers or anything but what they do really just doesn't justify being robbed. There is a reason that robbery is illegal and scalping game consoles isn't. Is a game console really worth risking someone else's life or your own over? You never know how a robbery can escalate and this could easily lead to somebody being seriously injured or even worse.

I agree, robbing someone over a console isn't worth the risk of your life or someone elses, or risking jail time. The better solution is to not buy from scalpers at all, then the people buying up the consoles would be forced to sell them at MSRP once stores have them back in stock.

10 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

Robbery is many things, but hilarious isn't one of them. 

Agreed. I see nothing hilarious about people being threatened with weapons and robbed. The people doing this are worse than the scalpers.

Owning a game console isn't a human right. It's not important. There is absolutely zero justification for threatening someone's life just because they decided to try and make a bit of profit over a big launch.

If you want to fight them, then just don't support them. They only exist because there's enough of a market for their practices.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

21 minutes ago, GravityHurts said:

Hate to say it, but it seems like some people have a distinct lack of empathy. Scalpers may be exploiting people with more money than sense, but being robbed is terrifying even if you're not present. Many people feel a deep violation that might not go away for a long time. And of course, in the current era a robbery while you are present could leave the parting "gift" of a life-changing infection.

29 minutes ago, GravityHurts said:

Some only learn the tough way.

I see many sides to this, it's hard to have an opinion, but i am siding more with.. i don't care, do stupid things, win stupid prizes, goes for all sides.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

Just now, Wheresmehammer said:

Some only learn the tough way.

This just isn't it. It's not like they're scalping insulin or drinking water, this is just game consoles we're talking about. All they deserve is nobody buying from them and losing all their money. Nobody deserves to get risk being injured or dying for trying to make a profit. Maybe we should all go steal 3080s from our nearest best buys because they are trying to sell them for a profit.

9 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Hate to say it, but it seems like some people have a distinct lack of empathy. Scalpers may be exploiting people with more money than sense, but being robbed is terrifying even if you're not present. Many people feel a deep violation that might not go away for a long time. And of course, in the current era a robbery while you are present could leave the parting "gift" of a life-changing infection.

Empathy for scalpers? Nope. They are denying people with low income the chance to buy otherwise affordable products that help them cope with having to stay indoors during the entire year due to the pandemic. As far as I’m concerned this a case of thieves stealing from thieves.

2 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

Empathy for scalpers? Nope. They are denying people with low incomes the chance to buy otherwise affordable products that help them cope with having to stay indoors during the entire year due to the pandemic. As far as I’m concerned this a case of thieves stealing from thieves.

You don't have to feel completely sorry for them, but c'mon... part of being the bigger person is showing compassion even to those people who've done wrong. Robbery doesn't make this better.

Just now, Commodus said:

You don't have to feel completely sorry for them, but c'mon... part of being the bigger person is showing compassion even to those people who've done wrong. Robbery doesn't make this better.

The compassion is the lesson learned from it.

Not sinking into feelings, if this is how you view compassion then it's warped, it seems like if you were caught doing this you would want to pull the whool over peoples eyes and get away with it, when you are both in the wrong.

The lesson is the message that you should maybe change your silly self.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

Everything is legal until the referee catches you.

Also why I open carry with all trades/craigslists/marketplace sales I make and in a public place.  

Hell my favorite place to do exchanges is the police department parking lot.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just for those still learning compassion.

compassion-is-an-unstable-emotion-it-needs-to-be-translated-into-action.jpg.97e2e135adc514eb9fcf591745920221.jpg

Action of feeling leads to change.

Change your dumb behavior, compassion for yourself.. self love.

2 minutes ago, Wheresmehammer said:

The compassion is the lesson learned from it.

Not sinking into feelings, if this is how you view compassion then it's warped, it seems like if you were caught doing this you would want to pull the whool over peoples eyes and get away with it, when you are both in the wrong.

The lesson is the message that you should maybe change your silly self.

Compassion means serving as an example to others. That means you don't take delight in revenge, and you recognize that the ends don't necessarily justify the means. I certainly hope scalpers learn a lesson from this, but I wouldn't wish a robbery on them.

6 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Compassion means serving as an example to others. That means you don't take delight in revenge, and you recognize that the ends don't necessarily justify the means. I certainly hope scalpers learn a lesson from this, but I wouldn't wish a robbery on them.

No, wisdom is serving as an example.

Taking no delight in revenge means you faced your own demons and learned from it = wisdom.

quote-in-buddhism-compassion-always-goes-with-wisdom-compassion-without-wisdom-is-not-understood-masao-abe-111-20-29.jpg.b2990a6fac9339f133ef0647d51afb13.jpg

They go together but are not the same.

The compassionate heart after this with wisdom says you are both dumb, you get what was coming to you, i hope you learn from it.

If it was caught earlier on by someone who knows them personally, perhaps their wisdom and compassion could have saved them, apparently not.

Sometimes wisdom and compassion cannot save people from stupidity, the hard way has to be there for those.

Just now, Wheresmehammer said:

No, wisdom is serving as an example.

Taking no delight in revenge means you faced your own demons and learned from it = wisdom.

Being truly empathetic and compassionate is something you practice on a consistent basis, not just with squeaky clean people. I'm not religious, but I'm reminded of Jesus visiting Zacchaeus the tax collector -- kindness is something you extend to people whether or not they truly deserve it. I just can't bring myself to celebrate the misery of someone whose only crime was scalping.

19 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Besides, if you believe people deserve to die for scalping consoles, as you do...

I exaggerated a bit there thats true, but i still dont have any empathy towards ppl who want to make a quick buck by screwing other over... (Maybe its just my environment, trying to screw over others here is pretty common.)

Edited by jagdtigger
mixing up words as ususal