corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

With that said. Countries are are, or are getting close to using laws and policies created for responding to wars to deal with this. Those laws can include censoring things. With todays highly connected individuals, censorship doesn't work. All the grocery stores around here have been out of toilet paper for 3 days because everyone panics and then crams into Costco's parking lot. A lot of good social distancing does if everyone is trying to horde things.

There are testing kits, there are potential treatments, there's potential vaccines, but they all take time to manufacture, and you're not going to be able to treat 2 billion people (yes 1 in 3 people will get it at the velocity it is going) if there is only one lab producing it in each country.

Trump was warned how to deal with a pandemic when he came into office, unfortunately Trump also fired everyone who had that knowledge and then defunded the pandemic response teams, which is where hospitals and clinics did practice drills to respond to this.

Likewise China mishandled this initially by trying to censor information about it. SARS, MERS, H1N1 (Swine flu) have all shown what happens when you don't try to be proactive, or if you try to profit from it. The 1918 flu pandemic, was H1N1. H5N1/H5N2 (Avian flu) is even harder to control because it's transmitted by all kinds of birds, and mainly gets into humans via chicken/turkey farming after coming into contract with wild birds. 

The Covid-19 virus is (highly suspected) of being of bat origin, which is also what MERS and SARS was. Yet another animal that knows no borders.  Bats exist in North America, and if the corona virus gets into the domestic bat population we will also never be rid of it.

The current treatment (in India) is to use the anti-viral treatments used to treat HIV. That along with treatments used to treat Influenza and Allergies. That tells you all you really need to know about how bad it will be if you end up with the worst of it. 

I think after this pandemic, the world needs to step back and absolutely prioritize health care, because those countries that have little or no government control over healthcare are going to be the ones that let their seniors die without treatment. Italy has the second best healthcare system in Europe (behind France) and their system is overwhelmed. I'm not even sure there is a "flat enough" curve that the US could handle as the US has no meaningful health care system.

Seems that we are on the right path for a CURE in France.

I've already talked about it in an earlier post, but seems as Chloroquine (molecule) is doing it's magic...

(google translate is your friend 😉 )

https://www.lemonde.fr/sciences/article/2020/03/17/la-chloroquine-une-piste-pour-lutter-contre-le-sars-cov-2_6033364_1650684.html

At the moment it is tested on a small scale in Marseille, France. And it's already in large scale in China after a french professor strongly recommended it (my previous post on the subject).

It's not perfect, not to be given to pregnant women, and not 100% of recovery, BUT atm:

24 patients were under Plaqueril treatment (600mg/day), after 6 days only 25% of the patients are still tested positive to SARS-CoV-2 ( 90% of those not treated with Plaquenil still are sick).

Now the next step is to make a study at a larger scale of this treatment.

75% of recovered patients after 6 days... I like this number... Ever more so for a medicine we already have and is not expensive... Let's see what it will do at large scale...

edited to add
Chloroquine (molecule) is also used to treat systemic lupus, polyarthritis and Polymorphous light eruption.

It has been developed in 1930 as a treatment for malaria.

Edited by Guest

This is possibly the strangest thing I've ever seen. Phoenix has gone into lockdown. Every restaurant, including chains, have been ordered to close by midnight and stay closed until a undetermined amount of time. Services like Grubhub and Doordash have been ordered by the state to help deliver food. Grocery stores haven't closed yet, but a couple have switched to a 24 hour schedule with restrictions on how many people can be in the store. Stores like Lowe's and Target have closed with employees working from home. Skyscrapers that are not residential or essential have shut off power. Banks like Bank of America have closed physical locations and have switched to the website or app. Police are patrolling the streets, making sure that there are no parties going on. The ASU campus is in complete isolation from the rest of the city. Students aren't allowed to leave campus unless they are with a parent or guardian. I don't think I've seen the city this panicked since 9/11. Even then, we all knew what happened within a few hours and could respond appropriately for a terror attack, but the media hyped COVID-19 up, leading to this. My friend stuck on the ASU campus called me crying. My advice, just chill. I could lose all of my money and stuff tomorrow, but at least I would be alive. Shit is going down here, but that doesn't mean prep for doomsday. It's ok to be scared, just don't be stupid. It's ok to be nervous for could happen for the next few weeks, but think logically and determine the best course of action for tomorrow and the next day. Everything will be alright as long as you relax, stay informed, and think with a cool head.

My city ain’t messing around.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

16 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I'm not sure, but it could be for things like medications.

Insulin in Canada is dirt cheap compared to the US. So those who live close to the border may just come up here to buy it instead of ruining themselves in the south? Meaning it could be a humanitarian thing...

Not to mention that our border with the US is... kinda huge and there isn't much point in trying to close it. It's easier to prevent other countries from coming over, since we just need to put a stop to air travel.

Could also be to avoid making Trump "mad" at Canada for whatever reasons. They are, our closest allies after all...  And Trump is like a giant baby.

Took them to be called out.

All non-essential travel will be suspended. 

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-17-20-intl-hnk/

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Update from Phoenix: It pretty much looks like the city is abandoned this morning. There's rumors that the Black Knights or Blue Angels will fly by for a demonstration. That makes sense because they would want to show solidarity and strength at this time, a military demonstration would show most people reassurance. If they do, my place has a good view to watch. I don't know how other countries are attempting to reassure their public, but having something you can see in action is a good one, even if others may not support the military.

6 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

Not dying isn't a "little" temporary safety.

On 3/18/2020 at 4:33 PM, Andreas Lilja said:

Not dying isn't a "little" temporary safety.

The chances of dying are slim. Very slim. 1% slim. 1% IF u contract it slim.

So ..it IS little ..and its certainly 'temporary safety'.

< content removed >

Edited by LogicalDrm

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

5 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

The chances of dying are slim. Very slim. 1% slim. 1% IF u contract it slim.

So ..it IS little ..and its certainly 'temporary safety'.

Except, it's not all about YOU, fatality is much higher for people above 60 and people with respiratory issues and even smokers.

You catching it, not dying but spreading it is very much an issue. Hence all the lock downs, the governments are (as they should) trying to protect the most vulnerable in our society, if you don't care about them, I suggest that you take a good look at your moral compass, it could be misaligned ;)

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

9 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Except, it's not all about YOU, fatality is much higher for people above 60 and people with respiratory issues and even smokers.

You catching it, not dying but spreading it is very much an issue. Hence all the lock downs, the governments are, as they should' trying to protect the most vulnerable in our society, if you don't care about them, I suggest that you take a good look at your moral compass, it could be misaligned ;)

Those above the age of 80, with underlying illness run a 11% risk of death.

Same as above for 70-79 but a 5% risk of death

Same as above for 60-69 but a 1.5% risk of death

Those figures continue to drop as the age range goes down.

My parents are in the 60-69 age group, at this moment they are out and about, shopping. They know whats going on, they know the facts the figures, as do I.

I assure you .. not thinking just about myself in that respect.

No im thinking about MY freedom, and that of MY family and closest friends , i couldnt care less about the rest of the world .. theres 8 billion (8,000,000,000) people on this planet i cant care about them all, nor should any1 be expected to, its a ridiculous notion.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Those figures continue to drop as the age range goes down.

My parents are in the 60-69 age group, at this moment they are out and about, shopping. They know whats going on, they know the facts the figures, as do I.

I assure you .. not thinking just about myself. at least in that respect.

No im thinking about MY freedom, and that of MY family and closest friends , i couldnt care less about the rest of the world .. theres 8 billion (8,000,000,000) people on this planet i cant care about them all, nor should any1 be expected to, its a ridiculous notion.

You being so short sighted that you're missing the end of your nose. That and very selfish.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

No im thinking about MY freedom, and that of MY family and closest friends

And here is the issue, remember what I said ;

14 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Except, it's not all about YOU

6 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Hypertension, diabetes, etc are upping the death rates to second digits. Pretty common at these ages.

5 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Hypertension, diabetes, etc are upping the death rates to second digits. Pretty common at these ages.

Sorry my bad i didnt link the source.

https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es?mid=&bid=0030

11 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Sorry my bad i didnt link the source.

https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es?mid=&bid=0030

Not sure what that's supposed to prove, but here is a relevant link to the CDC ;

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html

BTW, I never said you should care about the rest of the planet, that's not what the lock downs are for, it's to protect your immediate surroundings, neighbors, people at your workplace, at school, in the public transport, etc... If you don't care about your immediate surroundings, then maybe you should have a good look at yourself and your moral beliefs, this type of selfish behaviour is what is helping the pandemic to spread (you can be a carrier for 4 days before you show any symptoms BTW).

Edited by wkdpaul

gonna touch money for 5 hours today and each time I have time to wash my hands or use hand sanitizer just going to visualize that virus bastard being torn apart.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Update from Central Phoenix: Everything is locked down, restaurants, theaters, and major group areas. This is a video of the ASU campus from a friend. That park should have close to 500 students eating breakfast with 7-10 food trucks parked on the sidewalk. The sidewalk usually has 20-50 people walking by every so often. The street usually has about 50 cars going by every 30 minutes. Only places open right now are some grocery stores and gas stations. It's so weird seeing the city this empty.

Personally, I'm not really scared or nervous. Some people are really freaking out. My neighbors across the way from me have straight up turned their place into a bunker. I'm short of fresh food, but there's a couple deliveries from family on the way. Travel restrictions are in place, so it's hard to just pack up and leave. For now, I'll stick around and see how all this plays out.

Bay Area-- we have a Shelter-in-Place order through April 7th, aka you must stay home and avoid contact with anyone but do still have freedom of travel if it's essential (e.g., groceries, pharmacy, 'essential jobs', etc).

It's eerie being on the roads. I am working from home, not too worried.

1 minute ago, bimmerman said:

Bay Area-- we have a Shelter-in-Place order through April 7th, aka you must stay home and avoid contact with anyone but do still have freedom of travel if it's essential (e.g., groceries, pharmacy, 'essential jobs', etc).

It's eerie being on the roads. I am working from home, not too worried.

Pretty much the same thing here. There's more travel restrictions here though.

Semi rural Alaska.... No big changes. We still had TP when I went to the store Monday. Ammo is a different story,but that's semi normal. Anchorage is starting to close down for 1 confirmed case. 6 confirmed up here in all.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

68 cases in Northern Ireland, 0 deaths, 1400+ tested.

Schools closed from Monday, social distancing for the general population and isolation for those infected.

No bog roll in Sainsbury's when I was there earlier this week.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Quebec: (montreal)

Schools are closed until the 27 of this month. That may be extended to two months or until Fall.

Tons of stores are closed. Bars are closed. Things related to lotteries are shut down(casino and what not, not paper lotteries)

My nearby shopping mall is nearly deserted... But the home hardware store is very popular. I guess people decided they may as well renovate their shit while staying at home doing nothing?

Few people on the streets and the ones who are out walking, are often seen sporting a mask and gloves.

Borders are finally closed to all except residents.

We got our first death in the province. An old woman who lived in an old people home... She had been in contact with people who returned from oversea.

94 infected in Quebec. 24 in Montreal. Officially.

I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff... But overall, that's basically it... 24 confirmed cased in Montreal.... And it's basically a ghost town.

Edit : Also, no toilet paper in stores and plenty of food products missing, mainly cans. But overall, food isn't really an issue 😂

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro