corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

32 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Normal Influenza cause more Death than Corona, by far. 

Its all about scaremongering. 

That's not the point. The mortality rate of Corona is around 3000% higher than the flu. If you catch it, you have a very tangible chance of dying.

Beyond that, the flu doesn't typically land people on respirators unable to breathe. It also doesn't cause permanent lung damage as Corona can.

As someone who literally had this stupid thing sitting in home isolation now, you don't want it. If you're one of the unlucky people that develops significant symptoms, it's absolute hell on Earth. The flu I had last year would have been a godsend in comparison.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I call that "natureal selection"! No, it's not a typo 😉

25 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Let them... THey have governments, they have brains, some of them have even been given some education (even if only up to end of primary school for the vast majority).
They are making their choices.

28 minutes ago, Way2Broke said:

FL will be in lock down soon because all these youngster dumbasses went to the beach during pandemic.

These "youngster" are the "bright future" of your country! 😄 At least that's how Dr Brix called them.

22 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

The mortality rate of Corona is around 3000%

Let's stay real here... Even only 20 times is harsh enough...

51 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Can I too have access to that time machine you must have hidden somewhere.

I'm assuming you heard about the UK scientist who created a predictive model for how badly the Virus will spread in the UK and when the government saw it they called him in for a meeting? (Tangentially the Scientist tested positive 3 days after he was at said meeting with the UK government). The model has been shared around the globe, I believe the US are also using an adapted version of it for their situation. So yesterday someone decided to apply that model to India and lets say, I REALLY hope its not accurate because it predicts 400 million people in India will be infected and at a 2% mortality rate 8 million will die.

The thing with the flu is your body encounters it at a very young age and while every year it mutates your bodies antibodies at least have some idea of what the virus is. This in itself helps people to not die from Flu.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

15 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

(Tangentially the Scientist tested positive 3 days after he was at said meeting with the UK government)

😂

15 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I REALLY hope its not accurate because it predicts 400 million people in India will be infected and at a 2% mortality rate 8 million will die.

Hum... 400 million for a 1.5 billion inhabitants? The numbers say to us that usually it's a 60% infection rate. So 400 million seems low in that regard...

Even more so with their terrible health care system and their slums...

India and Africa are the 2 places where I'm really scared for the sickness to flare up since the very beginning...

They are not testing because they don't want to and because they don't have the money and infrastructure to do so...

When I see how we fare here in Europe, I simply don't even want to think at the hecatomb it's going to be there... And it's only starting there... We are starting to see some cases and some numbers... 😥

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_India

8 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

😂

IKR

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/several-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-in-côte-saint-luc-1.4861117

IG Nobel for holding 400-people weddings.

Also some mosques are refusing to close despite our PM's pleads.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

21 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

😂

Hum... 400 million for a 1.5 billion inhabitants? The numbers say to us that usually it's a 60% infection rate. So 400 million seems low in that regard...

Even more so with their terrible health care system and their slums...

India and Africa are the 2 places where I'm really scared for the sickness to flare up since the very beginning...

They are not testing because they don't want to and because they don't have the money and infrastructure to do so...

When I see how we fare here in Europe, I simply don't even want to think at the hecatomb it's going to be there... And it's only starting there... We are starting to see some cases and some numbers... 😥

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_India

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the model however I can say the article did mention that the 2% figure was based on an estimate for Europe and that India has no where near the healt care system that Europe has so mortality rate could be significantly higher.

Its also important to remember that death rate is a useless statistic until this is all over and done with. People tend to die much faster with COVID19 than it takes to recover from it so its a skewed stat until everyone thats going to get it either dies or recovers.

1 hour ago, Praesi said:

Please avoid all contact with other humans for the next year.  You are genuinely a threat to other people with your scientific ignorance.

10 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Please avoid all contact with other humans for the next year.  You are genuinely a threat to other people with your scientific ignorance.

Agreed. @Praesi yes the flu kills more. For now. We are only 3 months into the year. 

With the infection rate similar/higher than the Flu, with a potentially much higher death rate, just wait until a widespread outbreak happens in the US. 

On top of that, we *have* a flu vaccine. It’s not perfect, but I get it every year. And even if you catch the flu with the vaccine, it’ll be significantly less severe and you recover faster. 

Don’t be ignorant. This is a serious healthcare crisis. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Agreed. @Praesi yes the flu kills more. For now. We are only 3 months into the year. 

With the infection rate similar/higher than the Flu, with a potentially much higher death rate, just wait until a widespread outbreak happens in the US. 

On top of that, we *have* a flu vaccine. It’s not perfect, but I get it every year. And even if you catch the flu with the vaccine, it’ll be significantly less severe and you recover faster. 

Don’t be ignorant. This is a serious healthcare crisis. 

Not to mention we also have an antiviral to directly fight the infection when you get it. I can only imagine how many people at risk Tamiflu saves every year.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Only 50 people allowed at a time in the stores. Feel a little safer for everyone now..

this eerie af:

Edited by PhantomJaguar77

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

100% not.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

58 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

* snip *

It's pretty disturbing seeing people playing the whole thing down when we still don't have a clear picture. There's still people getting infected in China even though they've been in lock down for much longer than we have here in the west.

Studies are coming out about younger people also being hospitalized even though, until now, everyone was saying the younger population wasn't really affected by covid.

Stats from China also shows smokers are more at risk (something I heard on a radio show, haven't looked into any studies regarding this).

We're right in the middle of it, saying it's worse, or less worse than other illness is pretty dangerous, we don't have the complete picture.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

It's pretty disturbing seeing people playing the whole thing down when we still don't have a clear picture. There's still people getting infected in China even though they've been in lock down for much longer than we have here in the west.

Studies are coming out about younger people also being hospitalized even though, until now, everyone was saying the younger population wasn't really affected by covid.

Stats from China also shows smokers are more at risk (something I heard on a radio show, haven't looked into any studies regarding this).

We're right in the middle of it, saying it's worse, or less worse than other illness is pretty dangerous, we don't have the complete picture.

Sadly, statistical literacy is low to nonexistent across the globe. That leads to people misreading numbers even for simple statistics. Situations like this, where we're looking at an ongoing phenomenon as it develops, just make it harder for people to understand what numbers mean.

Just today I read an article on "why Germany has such a lower COVID19 mortality compared to other European countries". I looked at the numbers: it doesn't look any different to its neighbors, it's just lagging them in infection progression. Maybe when this is all over we´ll find out that indeed mortality was lower, but right now Germany is just on track to follow the steps of other Western Europe countries.

But I guess "can't tell yet" is too boring an answer for Twitter or Facebook (or media for that matter)...

7 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Still a lot of people in my area who tell me it's just a cold or just the flu. 

A local city council member who has the virus needed to be hospitalized and they talked with the news via phone a couple days ago. 

Councilman Steve Padilla was admitted to UC San Diego Thornton Hospital and placed in its intensive care unit after experiencing worsening symptoms, his daughter Ashleigh Padilla said in a statement.

https://timesofsandiego.com/politics/2020/03/20/chula-vista-councilman-steve-padilla-hospitalized-in-intensive-care-with-covid-19/

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

7 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

Still a lot of people in my area who tell me it's just a cold or just the flu. 

A local city council member who has the virus needed to be hospitalized and they talked with the news via phone a couple days ago. 

https://timesofsandiego.com/politics/2020/03/20/chula-vista-councilman-steve-padilla-hospitalized-in-intensive-care-with-covid-19/

That's another detail LOTS of people are avoiding (willfully or not), unless you have a weakened immunity, seasonal flu isn't going to send you to the ICU, but there are many cases of healthy adults, young and old, that are being hospitalized when infected by covid19.

I don't know of any healthy adult that were hospitalized for a seasonal flu, over here they quickly send you back home with a Tylenol prescription, they don't hospitalize you.

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Unbelievable to read that some still think this isnt serious and/or flu is worse.

Our country hospitals have indicated to run out of IC beds in 2-4 days; one doctor interviewd today said those going into ICU is so far pretty much a 1 way ticket, not just the elderly but also teenagers, and many around 30 on respirators (see earlier posts for src). Some supplies have run out already forcing hospitals to try to sterilize and reuse masks and suits. Others have hired clothing makers and have them seweing makeshift masks, making their own assembly line.

Ambulances drive 24hr a day and cant keep up. Makeshift extentions are being build around hospitals.

And this is just the first few days.

Seems "a tidbit" different from what we see in flu season.

But hey given the world situation, each has their own coping mechanism, denial is one of them.

41 minutes ago, Praesi said:

100% not.

COVID-19 has a much higher case fatality rate than the flu.  This is a verifiable fact you cannot question.

COVID-19 is also extra-dangerous because of its long incubation period, the lack of a vaccine and the possibility of spreading the virus without showing symptoms.  This is a verifiable fact you cannot question.

Now, if you believe observable facts don't matter and don't mind the possibility of killing friends and family, you can continue on your current path... but if you actually give a damn about people besides yourself or even the basic concept of empirical evidence, you'll change your tune.

I don’t have mobile hotspot as part of my mobile plan. But my carrier just texted me that they added 20GB data for mobile hotspot to my plan to help support me. No cost or action required.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020/03/20/alaska-sees-3-new-confirmed-cases-of-coronavirus-as-state-clamps-down-on-elective-medical-and-dental-procedures/
Up to 12 in Alaska now. ConocoPhillips cancelled all flights into their North Slope camps. Since they run a shared service between them and BP, I'd imagine BP wont be "too far" behind them. 

On a side note, the Iditarod is wrapping up with the winner being from Norway. Here's an article with pictures of dogs from that to cheer everyone up!

https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/iditarod/2020/03/13/stressed-out-maybe-these-photos-of-iditarod-dogs-will-help/

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

One positive side affect of this is those indian call centres that do phone scams will all be closed down, I haven't had a call telling me I'd been involved in an accident all week.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

One positive side affect of this is those indian call centres that do phone scams will all be closed down, I haven't had a call telling me I'd been involved in an accident all week.

Not sure I will be laughing at that post or not.

Corona Virus is a bitch.. 😷

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

32 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I actually wonder how India is mostly unscathed. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

16 hours ago, SteveZhang said:

I personally think a method that  was widely used in China worth learning from.Many supermarkets set up online service platforms then you can order what you need from your mobile.When the supermarket stuff receives the order ,they will take the items you need from the warehouse,pack them into parcel ,and send specific people to deliver the parcels to the gate of each community.As a result,fewer people go to the supermarkets,thus reducing the risk of infection in crowds.

We are already doing that. The problem the online supermarket delivery service doesn't have the capacity to suddenly fulfil the surge of orders. I'm a system admin of a food delivery company. There is about 30% spare capacity if needed. It isn't simply as hire more people or work longer hours. The system and infrastructure just can't handle more than that. We needs more floor space, we need more forklift trucks, we need more docks for trucks for goods coming in and out. You can't just press a button and have the capacity to handle 10 times the normal workload.

Many supermarkets here stop accepting online delivery orders because they just can't handle the surge.

22 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

I actually wonder how India is mostly unscathed. 

If you don't test, you have no case. Neighboring Nepal has only one case. If you believe that.