corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

We have now experienced the second day of the lockdown here. I went grocery shopping this morning and was relieved to see that the situation is very calm and that almost everything is back in stock again (except toilet paper, but including pasta and canned stuff). The authorities will evaluate the effectiveness of this lockdown at the end of the week and then decide on whether more severe restrictions are necessary or not. I believe the lockdown will be extended for quite a while, but I think I will be able to deal with it if remains in its current form and doesn't get more strict.

It is fortunate that we nowadays have the possibility of having social interactions online, especially when personal social interactions have to be limited like it is the case now.

4 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

It is fortunate that we nowadays have the possibility of having social interactions online, especially when personal social interactions have to be limited like it is the case now.

This !! ^o^

Just now, greenhorn said:

I'm just hiding out at my place. This forum and couple other places are what I'm partying with.

Québec not discarding the possibility of closing schools for up to two months. 

https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2020/03/17/les-ecoles-quebecoises-pourraient-etre-fermees-pour-longtemps

I work in one and I'm bored to death, and it's only been a few days. :/

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

And Discord! Discord is a life saver for me 🙂

Let's me chill out with my "adult" gamer friends 🙂

Having only my teenage kid to interact with irl is really 🤦‍♂️ at times. (And the same for her! 🤣 )

4 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

And Discord! Discord is a life saver for me 🙂

Let's me chill out with my "adult" gamer friends 🙂

Hmm..never used it, I guess I should look into Discord.

5 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Having only my teenage kid to interact with irl is really 🤦‍♂️ at times. (And the same for her! 🤣 )

I can imagine that, but still it is important to have family close to you, especially in times like these.

3 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

Hmm..never used it, I guess I should look into Discord.

I can imagine that, but still it is important to have family close to you, especially in times like these.

Don't look too far into Discord. It's where the darkest parts on the internet converge. Check the Murica (But International) Parrot Gang thread for some of the stuff I've posted there as well as @Lord Xeb.

2 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

Absolutely! That's not what I'm saying at all!

There is also the reality of human interactions and the need to exchange with people of like maturity.

It's a perfectly normal need, like my daughter having some video chat through Teams with her school friends for their daily work and for chatting.

A disparity of maturity builds up tension, which needs to be expressed, one way or another.

We are not used anymore to live one upon another in a closed space.

6 minutes ago, FakeCIA said:

Don't look too far into Discord. It's where the darkest parts on the internet converge. Check the Murica (But International) Parrot Gang thread for some of the stuff I've posted there as well as @Lord Xeb.

Pfff.... Please...

It's a tool! I've been using it for the past 4 years and I'm a perfectly respectable person (well... at least that's what I say here! 😛 )

More seriously, you have also the same thing on Signal.

I will NE-VER use WhatsApp, and Skype is not an option afaic.

It's crypted, so sure you will find some shaddy places. But you will only find them if you look for them...

I mean... even LTT has a Discord Server! 😂

Went to pick up ordered food online at the Irish pub I frequent at. The kind hostess told me that they can do this DoorDash/pick-up business strategy for like 5 days before they really go under. Felt so bad. Damn this whole situation.

/endrant 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

22 minutes ago, FakeCIA said:

I noticed the Parrot stuff, but I have to look more into it to get what it's all about. Thanks for the suggestion :)

3 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

I noticed the Parrot stuff, but I have to look more into it to get what it's all about.

🦜 =yes 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

40 minutes ago, FakeCIA said:

:D

I rock with discord. Currently i have a gaming community in it. That reminds me, I gotta help them out in Destiny 2. 

Right now my group is rather quite (various reasons) but they are adults and good people. I kicked out all the trouble makers. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Well... There is one thing positive with all this mess! We can notice a global improvement of the air quality and even the water quality.

Venice has the cleanest waters for the past 20 years (no ships and tourist for 2 weeks)

In China, an d north of Italy, there is a dramatic fall of NO2 emission and they have the cleanest air for the past 20 years.

2 weeks to 2 months industrial inactivity and there is such an improvement.

If THAT doesn't show to all the doubters that it's our industrial activity that is responsible for pollution and climate change, then I don't know and only despair and doom is left! 😉

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/climate/coronavirus-pollution.html

There... It is starting...

1 minute ago, Cora_Lie said:

There... It is starting...

The best healthcare system in the whole world?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

2 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

The best healthcare system in the whole world?

I won't comment on that. Anyone is awarded their own delusions.

4 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Huh? Could you clean up the link pls? O_o

Makes me think of the UK government promising 10K  ventilators in a matter of weeks, when a UK manufacturer says that on a good year they manage to build 500...

Obviously there will be some more things to think about once all this is over... And at the moment countries should pass a bill about emergency citizen help.
A company's profit in the a state of crisis shouldn't be put before the livves of people.

And it would have been smart of them (the company) to offer to share the schematics for good will. Now they are going to be looked down for their greed, when they can't even manufacture enough of these valves to answer the need.

Instant karma!

2 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Its interesting, and somewhat frustrating, to watch the continued over reaction to this situation.

Numbers keep getting brought up, like 1000's of deaths, and numbers like 250k 'potential' deaths in the UK etc, as if 250k is an unimaginable number.

I can only surmise that the rather over the top reaction to these figures means a large portion of people have problems grasping large numbers .. like 8,000,000,000 (8 billion) and what 1% death toll really means to an already exponential global population growth rate.

Long story short is that even if the entire Human population is infected within a relatively short time frame of say 2 years (highly unlikely), and 1% die (as per the most accurate measurements of mortality so far provided (south Korea)), which is roughly 80 million at the most, it would not even negate a single years worth of population growth.

If people truly believe that this is a massive serious situation, then they should perhaps take a second to look at themselves and realize that acting out on emotion is the worst thing one can do in a 'serious situation'.

You are 100% correct..

IF! Taking a perspective from the moon, sitting on a god-chair, looking down on earth, seeing "people" as a "population".

The thing is, a family member of a family of 5 sitting in the living room, looking at his or hers mom, dad, big brother, little sister, thinking of grandma and granddad. For that person, "people" is not a "population" but a group of 7 loved ones. 1% rate means a 1 in 14 chance one (or more) will die the next months/weeks. Those 7 people, looking at each other, do not like these odds, and consider that a big thing.

That said, although i do consider it a big thing (i worry about loved ones), i do absolutely agree that overpopulation and exponential growth themselfes are, in the bigger scheme of things, not even "a higher risk" than this virus, but even "a certain ticket to our demise" (this spread being just a early symptom). It one of the reasons my wife and I do not have kids by choice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/us/politics/trump-coronavirus.html

🤣

On Tuesday he took to the White House lectern and made a remarkable assertion: He knew it was a pandemic all along.

“This is a pandemic,” Mr. Trump told reporters. “I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.

And:

On Jan. 22, asked by a CNBC reporter whether there were “worries about a pandemic,” the president replied: “No, not at all. We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

And... And... And...

I need to know! WHERE did you find this clown? What is the recipe?

We need to find it and to lose it in the deepest and the darkest hole at the farthest and remotest place at the end of the world, or maybe even build a very special rocket and send it directly into the sun to melt it forever and ever...

Some "things" shouldn't be allowed to reproduce. Way too dangerous for the World! 🤨

< content removed >

Edited by Guest

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

A medical device manufacturer has threatened to sue a group of volunteers in Italy that 3D printed a valve used for life-saving coronavirus treatments. The valve typically costs about $11,000 from the medical device manufacturer, but the volunteers were able to print replicas for about $1

So far, the valves they made have worked on 10 patients as of March 14th, according to Massimo Temporelli, the founder of Italian manufacturing solutions company FabLab who helped recruit Fracassi and Ramaioli to print the replica valves.

“[The patients] were people in danger of life, and we acted. Period,” said Fracassi in a Facebook post. He also said that “we have no intention of profit on this situation, we are not going to use the designs or product beyond the strict need for us forced to act, we are not going to spread the drawing.”

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/17/21184308/coronavirus-italy-medical-company-threatens-sue-3d-print-valves-treatments

What a time to be alive.

59 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

Imagine being such a piece of crap that you're willing to sue people for saving lives during a pandemic, over patent infringement. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

No thanks to the elbo bump bull shit.

Brings people's faces closer together and is the biggest bunch of bullshit.

You don't need to touch another human to greet them. 

Say hello and carry about your business. 

Fucking elbo bump, the new hand shake. 

Like Archie Bunker said. 

Meat Heads.