corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

President Donald Trump on Monday recommended that Americans avoid gatherings of more than 10 people as the coronavirus continues its rapid spread across the country.

The federal government's guidelines aren't mandatory, but they come as many cities and states close nonessential businesses such as theaters, bars, and gyms, require restaurants to provide only delivery and takeout, and prohibit large gatherings. Various states have also closed public schools.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-encourages-people-avoid-gatherings-10-people-coronavirus-2020-3

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

3 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Food and pharmacy are non-essential?? 

No... Those are essential.

Just now, Cora_Lie said:

No... Those are essential.

OK your message left that weird. "All non-essential shops are closed (food, pharmacy)."

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

41 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

France enters the phase of total lockdown (like Italy).

Going out of home is only authorized for emergencies reasons or for those who MUST go to work and can't work remotely.

All non-essential shops are closed (food, pharmacy).

We have a similar thing here in Austria (in effect since today):
Only essential shops are open (supermarkets, pharmacies as well as stuff like post offices, tobacco shops, phone company-owned shops).
Restaurants were allowed to open today until 3pm, but they will be closed from tomorrow on. Gatherings of 5 people or more are forbidden, a distance of at least 1m between people has to be kept. Going out is only allowed for important reasons (work, grocery shopping, assisting people in need, taking a walk only if necessary).
Police will enforce those bans, officers are told to inform people in violation first and only in case of continued non-compliance they are allowed to fine them (quite severely).
These measures are something practically no one here has ever experienced before, a lot of information (both legitimate and fake) is going around. All measures are set to be in force for at least one week after which the government will decide whether to prolong them or not (I believe they will be in force for quite some time from the way things are looking right now).

17 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

These measures are something practically no one here has ever experienced before,

These measures have not been seen for almost a century. I know a few elderly people who lived through WWII and it reminded them of that time.

Curfew, rationing, not allowed to go wherever they wanted when they wanted.

Weird times...

And when I see what is happening in the US, it chills me... There is clearly now a schism between what is done by the government and what the different governors and the citizen are awaiting for.

When I hear that Trump told the Governors to look for ventilators by themselves and that the Federal government won't step in to help them in that regard... When I hear and read that they are asking him to send the FEMA and that he is not doing it... More and more of them are wondering what is the use of the Government right now.

Last week de Blazio and Cuomo demanded publicly and very vocally several times to Trump to give them tests kits, and if not they would take matter in their own hands and to hell with the Government. Strangely enough, within a few hours, the FDA approved of the Roche test, the one that is used and was going to be used by the State of New York from the beginning.
This is going to create real problems in the near future...

And it chills me because this will impact us all...

We have an impending shelter-in-place order for the greater Bay Area in CA; it's supposed to go into effect at midnight and last for at least the next three weeks.

Fun times ahead. Luckily I can work remotely for the most part, but I know many who can't who are already hurting.

1 hour ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Food and pharmacy are non-essential?? 

I don't know about you, but I can subsist through photosynthesis. 

I just glad Trudeau finally woke the F up and closed borders to non-residents. A bit late, but better late than never at this point.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 hours ago, steelo said:

I keep hearing rumors about a national quarantine or martial law (not sure if this is the same thing)

How likely is this scenario in the U.S.?

Martial law is when the government hands over law enforcement to the military instead of local authorities. Super, super unlikely unless things go absolutely batshit crazy.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

On 3/15/2020 at 11:49 PM, CalintzJerevinan said:

https://www.newser.com/story/288186/dont-use-ibuprofen-against-coronavirus-france-warns.html

Do not take Ibuprofen or Aspirin including Paracetamol.

It's recommended to take Tylenol aka Acetaminophen.  If you're ill or feeling sick.  The Corona Virus will not be affected with Ibuprofen or Aspirin including Paracetamol.  The current CDC recommendations is for children/teens/and adults to take Tylenol aka Acetaminophen.

Just to avoid half-facts being regurgitated into misinformation:

A French government official called for the use of paracetamol as opposed to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (such as iburpofen, ketoprohen, and many others) as a means to reduce fever, one of the symptoms of COVID-19. This is because, allegedly, that family of drugs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) tend to increase the production of a given protein that may facilitate the reproduction of the virus. Some scientists have since then said that there is no conclusive evidence that that is in fact the case, so there may be no difference in using one or the other (i.e., the French official "jumped the gun" on the advice).

Notice that this has nothing to do with the virus "being affected" by the drug, since none of these drugs are anti-viral or do anything against it, they are pure symptom-relief drugs. It's just that some of them may have as a side effect an increase (most likely, a slowing down in the reduction) in the virus concentration among the infected.

37 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Martial law is when the government hands over law enforcement to the military instead of local authorities. Super, super unlikely unless things go absolutely batshit crazy.

A lot of people are thinking that apparently.

The world's largest gun store, in metro Atlanta, has had lines that are six and eight people deep. A gun store in Los Angeles had lines that stretched down the block. And at least one store in Idaho put limits on sales after its shelves were nearly cleared out.

Just as grocery stores have been stripped bare by Americans panicked by coronavirus, guns and ammunition have started flying off the shelves.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/virus-fears-fuel-spike-sales-guns-ammunition-69625881

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

8 hours ago, Age of 9394 said:

Did anyone use alcohol clean your cellphone screen on every day and had stop using sell phone at the bathroom?

Also did anyone clean your stuff that use everyday like keyboard since this virus outbreak situation. 

I do.

However, starting today I only have to go to the office once a week. The rest of the week I work at home. My house has become a prison.

31 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

A French government official called for the use of paracetamol as opposed to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (such as iburpofen, ketoprohen, and many others) as a means to reduce fever, one of the symptoms of COVID-19. This is because, allegedly, that family of drugs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) tend to increase the production of a given protein that may facilitate the reproduction of the virus. Some scientists have since then said that there is no conclusive evidence that that is in fact the case, so there may be no difference in using one or the other (i.e., the French official "jumped the gun" on the advice).

Notice that this has nothing to do with the virus "being affected" by the drug, since none of these drugs are anti-viral or do anything against it, they are pure symptom-relief drugs. It's just that some of them may have as a side effect an increase (most likely, a slowing down in the reduction) in the virus concentration among the infected.

Not exactly the case...

In fact anti-inflammatory  medicine are immuno-depressant, as the inflammation is a immune response to what is considered as an agression by the body.

So anti-inflammatory medicine is acting as an anti-immune production, or, in this case that is exactly what you do not want. You need your immune system to fight like hell on earth.

That's also the reason why it is strongly recommended to not take ibuprofen when you have the flu.

On 3/17/2020 at 1:12 AM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yeah I agree but I'm taking it safe and I'm only using Tylenol aka Acetaminophen at the moment.

On 3/17/2020 at 2:04 AM, Cora_Lie said:

Not exactly the case...

In fact anti-inflammatory  medicine are immuno-depressant, as the inflammation is a immune response to what is considered as an agression by the body.

So anti-inflammatory medicine is acting as an anti-immune production, or, in this case that is exactly what you do not want. You need your immune system to fight like hell on earth.

That's also the reason why it is strongly recommended to not take ibuprofen when you have the flu.

That's why most over the counter meds for the flu, colds, and etc are using Tylenol aka Acetaminophen such as NyQuil in their products.  The director of the Ohio Department of Health recommends if you're going to stay home for the next 2 weeks or longer.  Make sure to to have a 14 day supply of NyQuil.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/02/how-to-treat-coronavirus-at-home-ibuprofen-acetaminophen-may-be-best-over-the-counter-medication.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- To prepare for the spread of coronavirus in the United States, doctors originally said you could stock up on your favorite over-the-counter medications, said the director of the Ohio Department of Health.

Pain relievers could alleviate the fever and aches that come with the COVID-19 coronavirus, doctors say. But a report March 14 from the French health minister warned that anti-inflammatory medications, such as ibuprofen, could aggravate the disease and recommended acetaminophen instead.

Ohio Department of Health director Amy Acton also mentioned having a 14-day supply of Nyquil, or whatever cold medicine you prefer, so you don’t have to run to the pharmacy when you’re sick.

“Whatever it is, you want to have those medicines with you,” Acton said at a news conference with Gov. Mike DeWine at MetroHealth Medical Center. She also advised making sure you have enough supplies for your children, parents and/or pets. “I would prepare for the worst.”

Everything you need to know about coronavirus | What survivalists say you’ll need in case of a coronavirus outbreak

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

damn well i believe as of this thursday all schools in california will be shut down till after spring break. and san fransisco just enabled curfew and lock down..only allowed to go out if needed....this really is nuts

Spain is in total lockdown and the Army has been called to enforce it...

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Meanwhile here in the UK were being "advised" to avoid pubs, schools are still open, public gatherings are still allowed, even our airports and borders are technically still open. Our governments official advice is stay away from other people as much as possible and wash your hands. Nothing has been banned and theres no lockdown in place.

I was reading up on why this is on another news site. TDLR. People in lockdown will tend to suffer from isolation fatigue after a while and start ignoring the limitations after a while. So if you start the lockdown too early you risk people starting to push back against it just as things are hitting their peak.

Went to grab groceries tonight at Walmart because Safeway, Fry's, and local family-run places were either closed or completely empty of stock. Nearly every aisle was 80-90% empty of product. There is no fresh food like vegetables, fruits, or bread. What little food I could get was junk frozen food that isn't good for you in the long run, but it works for now. All canned items were literally gone, so no soup or pasta of any kind. All dairy is gone, but I was able to grab some soy milk, which works. Food containers and storage were gone, so I gotta figure out a way to store leftovers. Dry food like Ramen and rice were completely out. Cereal was still available, but many of the boxes were torn open. There is no frozen meat or fish. There were some frozen vegetables, but the bags were torn open, so I didn't bother. It was Walmart, so people were fighting per usual. Feminine care products like tampons and pads were out. Cleaning supplies like bleach and laundry detergent are completely out. Medicine like Advil and Excedrin were out, so was toothpaste and mouthwash. I asked one of the employees when the next few trucks were gonna be available, but they said that Walmart and their suppliers are behind by 3 weeks. There is a shit ton of ice cream though, so that's good, I guess? Also paper towel, toilet paper, and similar products are all out.

I sent my daughter to buy a few things. When she came back she was all "Mom! People are crazy! I don't want to go alone anymore!"

I was O_o

She told me that some woman saw that she got some croissant for tomorrows breakfast and told her that she "saw them first" and that my daughter had to give them to her. When my daughter told her that she already paid them and that she couldn't see them "first" as there was no one before her, the woman became agressive. Luckily, some people working there know my daughter (we always go shopping there and they know her since she's a baby) and called security... Knowing that my daughter is almost 14yo, is already 1m75 tall and has training in Aikido since she's 6yo... Let's say that she knows how to defend herself, but she was scared by the gal and the crazyness of that woman.

I mean... It was some croissants...

I was 🤔! Yep! I have to do the shopping myself from now on... People are really starting to become crazy...

And now people (Frontier Workers) need an administrative authorization to cross the borders to go to work...

2 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

I sent my daughter to buy a few things. When she came back she was all "Mom! People are crazy! I don't want to go alone anymore!"

I was O_o

She told me that some woman saw that she got some croissant for tomorrows breakfast and told her that she "saw them first" and that my daughter had to give them to her. When my daughter told her that she already paid them and that she couldn't see them "first" as there was no one before her, the woman became agressive. Luckily, some people working there know my daughter (we always go shopping there and they know her since she's a baby) and called security... Knowing that my daughter is almost 14yo, is already 1m75 tall and has training in Aikido since she's 6yo... Let's say that she knows how to defend herself, but she was scared by the gal and the crazyness of that woman.

I was 🤔! Yep! I have to do the shopping myself from now on... People are really starting to become crazy...

And now people (Frontier Workers) need an administrative authorization to cross the borders to go to work...

I was in the frozen dinner aisle looking for something that was at least edible, some guy came up to me and accused me of stealing his wallet. He tried to grab mine, but cops stopped him. Also, there were like 50 cops in this Walmart stopping fights. Panic is driving people nuts.

2 hours ago, CarlBar said:

I was reading up on why this is on another news site. TDLR. People in lockdown will tend to suffer from isolation fatigue after a while and start ignoring the limitations after a while. So if you start the lockdown too early you risk people starting to push back against it just as things are hitting their peak.

Which is total nonsense, there's plenty of other countries around the world that have locked down with far less cases than we have. Ireland for example went into partial lockdown after only 6 cases.

The UK government has decided that as a population we need to be exposed and are doing everything they can to ensure that happens.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

Spain is in total lockdown and the Army has been called to enforce it...

I would have difficulty to imagine this one month ago. Now the reality is upon us.

2 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

I was O_o

Which further proves the only difference between humans being decent caring creatures and abhorrent selfish survivalists is equality of resources.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.