corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I can see (risky comment) unions may demand wage compensation for lost work...the US has unemployment available for this type of thing but how to handle such large claims if that happens? oh boy.

The problem with unemployment, and I know a lot of people in trade jobs will be in the same position as me. I'd go from north of $100,000 to making under $20,000 a year on unemployment. I do have money set aside, but I know for a fact that most of the people I work with don't think ahead and have the same cushion. I do already have money set aside because the specific industry I am in and working rotations. If I had to go onto unemployment, I'd lose roughly $1400 a week. Doesn't matter who you are or what you have put aside, that's rough. 

Pulled from the Alaska state website. 

Spoiler

If you are eligible to receive unemployment, your weekly benefit rate is based on your earnings during the base period. The current minimum benefit is $56 per week and the maximum is $370 per week. In addition, you can collect a dependent’s allowance of $24 per week per dependent, for up to three dependents.

You may receive benefits for a maximum of 26 weeks. (In times of very high unemployment, additional weeks of benefits may be available.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

*** Mark for cleaning ***

So. At this point I'm going to monitor this thread more closely. This will have one major effect.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case.

On 3/17/2020 at 12:56 PM, Xvaster said:

Stupid question:

If a vaccine is ready, could it be used on infected people? 

As this wasn't answered by anyone, I'll do it. The answer is no. Vaccine should and would only be used those who don't have or have already been cured from the disease. The reason is that we don't want virus adapting so that vaccine is ineffective in future.

Also responding to couple other things that have been up in this thread.

First is lockdowns being forced in many countries and localities. The reason for these is not to prevent spread of disease. Because that isn't possible without working cure/vaccine. The reason is to make sure that each countries healthcare system is always ready and capable to deal with serious cases of COVID-19 and also any other case that needs attention. None of our countries wants to be where Italy currently is, with their healthcare system failing.

Second thing is about testing and why in some countries it has been halted for anything but notable symptoms. I don't know if the reasons are same across the world. But here the main reason is that testing capabilities are very limited. Doing testing requires secure lab conditions to prevent spreading and it takes full day for results (tests done in morning will get results at same evening). Ofc to outside this seems like disease isn't spreading or that governments are hiding things to avoid panic. If more testing kits and faster methods would be available, then testing for whole population and every person feeling some symptoms would start in full force again.

Now if you excuse me, I have some warnings to hand out.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

The problem with unemployment, and I know a lot of people in trade jobs will be in the same position as me. I'd go from north of $100,000 to making under $20,000 a year on unemployment. I do have money set aside, but I know for a fact that most of the people I work with don't think ahead and have the same cushion. I do already have money set aside because the specific industry I am in and working rotations. If I had to go onto unemployment, I'd lose roughly $1400 a week. Doesn't matter who you are or what you have put aside, that's rough. 

Pulled from the Alaska state website. 

Yeah (I am sure you know this) unemployment is not designed to be a full compensation thing just enough for living expenses. I've had to pull from it before... many years ago from being temp laid off due to an injury at work and it does not scale properly. What I am getting right now is hardly much to shake a stick at but it "helps" I suppose.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

My brother has been dry coughing the passed couple days or so it’s making me nervous tbh.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Yeah (I am sure you know this) unemployment is not designed to be a full compensation thing just enough for living expenses. I've had to pull from it before... many years ago from being temp laid off due to an injury at work and it does not scale properly. What I am getting right now is hardly much to shake a stick at but it "helps" I suppose.

I know it's not. I was using myself as an example for rough numbers. However, I do know that a lot of people would have to rethink house, vehicles, "normal" expenses, etc. I work with a few people that are retirement age, but can't retire since they never put money aside, or as the mines they worked at closed they just cashed out their retirement and took a few months off work. Unfortunately, and I can only speak for what I've personally seen in mining, I think that's FAR more common that people realize. At the end of the day, the economic fall off from this is going to be rough. I'm not trying to downplay the virus by any means, but do think that people are not thinking towards the future and what comes next(surprise surprise.

Up to 9 cases in Alaska now. I would like to point out that the plane with the overseas evacuees that happened really early in all this didn't effect us in anyway. No cases outside the plane.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020/03/19/state-announces-3-new-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-bringing-alaska-total-to-9-so-far/

Also, politics at it's finest. 

https://www.adn.com/politics/2020/03/19/rep-don-young-tells-alaska-seniors-beer-virus-fears-are-overblown-skips-vote-on-covid-19-relief/

That should be my daily Alaska update on all of this.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

First drive thrus now “phone booths”

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Attentions please, Californians! Attentions please, Los Angeles County!

(Lazy copy-pasta'd summary because I'm working on three things at once and can't multi-task.)

All Californians, nearly 40 million people, have been ordered to stay at home except for when it is absolutely necessary for them to leave "until further notice" to help slow the spread of the novel coronavirus.

The state's order takes effect immediately and will be in place indefinitely with Gov. Gavin Newsom telling reporters that officials "could not give a deadline that we really could believe in." It will take effect midnight Thursday, though businesses will have an additional day to prepare to close.

The state's order, which does not have a set end date, includes exemptions for public safety and health care operations as well as other essential services, including laundromats, grocery stores, and restaurants that offer takeout or delivery. But even those essential businesses will need to incorporate social distancing practices — keeping 6 feet of space between individual employees and customers, officials said.

Like the orders announced by health officers in Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara counties and the city of Berkeley on Monday, violations of the state and Los Angeles orders would be punishable as a misdemeanor.

(Off-Topic: Laundromats are apparently allowed to be open! Hurrah!)

Full ArticleAll Californians, Nearly 40 Million People, Have Been Ordered To Stay Home To Stop The Spread Of The Coronavirus by Buzzfeed.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Little article on various drugs that have been trialed against the virus. The TLDR is hat all the trial where small, and somewhat messilly run. That dosen;t mean the drugs might not be a good answer, but atm all we have is data showing some level of effect under some circumstances. This kind of muddy data can and has cleared up in other drug trials for other diseases as being down to other effects or just bad data handling and that there was no actual benefit. These trial are however sufficient to justify larger scale trials to clear the data up.Still encouraging that where getting some data that might be helpful.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/03/19/coronavirus-some-clinical-trial-data

Ok after my governor declared that shelter in place for the whole state everyone here went into full on panic mode. My store basically filled to capacity. People trying to steal our purrel wipes for the shopping carts. Ramming their carts into our closed doors. I’m fearing for my damn life at this point. 

6 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

Ok after my governor declared that shelter in place for the whole state everyone here went into full on panic mode. My store basically filled to capacity. People trying to steal our purrel wipes for the shopping carts. Ramming their carts into our closed doors. I’m fearing for my damn life at this point. 

Hoo-Mans??  No!

7 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Hoo-Mans??  No!

I thought San Diegans would be better at this since we’ve been through wildfires where we couldn’t go to school for weeks and had to wear masks when we went outside because of the bad air quality from the smoke. Hoo-Mans are Hoo-Mans no matter where they’re from.

So, what exactly ARE you supposed to do if you don't have toilet paper or food and can't buy any?  SERIOUS QUESTION.  I do NOT have a car.  So what is a person supposed to do?  Hold up a sign at the corner and ask for Toilet paper or Rice ?

HOW are you supposed to buy essentials if there are none in stock?  And don't say Amazon Prime, either.

6 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

So, what exactly ARE you supposed to do if you don't have toilet paper or food and can't buy any?  SERIOUS QUESTION.  I do NOT have a car.  So what is a person supposed to do?  Hold up a sign at the corner and ask for Toilet paper or Rice ?

HOW are you supposed to buy essentials if there are none in stock?  And don't say Amazon Prime, either.

Call the City Hall and ask them?

8 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

If you have a generous and kind neighbor,you can ask him/her to lend you some ,any kind people will do that.Well,actually,in my neighborhood,community officers use a special APP to investigate our food stocks and other needs,and they'll send someone to your house to give you what you need.

A little bit of humor in grave times:

in Italy you can witness and participate to this:

And in New York you have this:

Guess it's really another world! 😉

1 minute ago, Cora_Lie said:

A little bit of humor in grave times:

in Italy you can witness and participate to this:

And in New York you have this:

Guess it's really another world! 😉

Another world which we've never expected before

Another joke: “Freeeedom!!!”

Just look at the countries' preach “freedom".

How free the virus is!😄

46 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

I hate to be that guy, but Amazon is maybe your only choice if you're not able to drive somewhere. I don't see a location listed, so your options will depend highly on where you are.

People hoarding 200 rolls of toilet paper and panic buying a pallet of food are definitely stupid. The people that didn't freak out and panic buy stuff have been shafted significantly in all this.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

2 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I hate to be that guy, but Amazon is maybe your only choice if you're not able to drive somewhere. I don't see a location listed, so your options will depend highly on where you are.

People hoarding 200 rolls of toilet paper and panic buying a pallet of food are definitely stupid. The people that didn't freak out and panic buy stuff they'll not need have been shafted significantly in all this.

I personally think a method that  was widely used in China worth learning from.Many supermarkets set up online service platforms then you can order what you need from your mobile.When the supermarket stuff receives the order ,they will take the items you need from the warehouse,pack them into parcel ,and send specific people to deliver the parcels to the gate of each community.As a result,fewer people go to the supermarkets,thus reducing the risk of infection in crowds.

4 minutes ago, SteveZhang said:

I personally think a method that  was widely used in China worth learning from.Many supermarkets set up online service platforms then you can order what you need from your mobile.When the supermarket stuff receives the order ,they will take the items you need from the warehouse,pack them into parcel ,and send specific people to deliver the parcels to the gate of each community.As a result,fewer people go to the supermarkets,thus reducing the risk of infection in crowds.

Yep, it Italy many bars, cafes and restaurants also started doing home delivery of items you'd normally need to go and sit in to eat. It allows the businesses to stay open and make money whilst also providing a much needed service for the people stuck at home.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

That's why my governor (Andrew Cuomo) is reluctant to call for a shelter in place despite NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio calling for one. He's afraid that calling a shelter in place will cause all of that shit to happen. I do think a shelter in place is the right move though, and shutting all non-essential businesses as well (including the pesky fuckers at GameStop.) It's the only thing that will prevent the spread. It's sad that we've gotten to this point, but people have proven either too stupid or too self-centered to care.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

1 minute ago, SteveZhang said:

A few of my local grocery store chains have had these systems for a while, but I'm not sure how this will impact them. I am well stocked including almost 80kg of venison in my freezer from hunting last year, so even if this drags along a while I won't run out of food. Toilet paper I have some but if it's months that will be a problem, weeks will be no issue.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

The fear has finally reached my small town. First was the toilet paper then a week ago it was meat and now it's bread and long life milk. I work in a bakery and we have had to make twice as much bread as usual for these last few days. It just happened overnight which was super strange, must've been something on the news that scared people. I believe it could be because of supermarkets having that elderly hour thing because that's when the rush has typically been coming in.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

8 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

That's why my governor (Andrew Cuomo) is reluctant to call for a shelter in place despite NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio calling for one. He's afraid that calling a shelter in place will cause all of that shit to happen. I do think a shelter in place is the right move though, and shutting all non-essential businesses as well (including the pesky fuckers at GameStop.) It's the only thing that will prevent the spread. It's sad that we've gotten to this point, but people have proven either too stupid or too self-centered to care.

I realize they operate in a fairly niche market, and it would be a bummer if there wasn't a place to go buy decent used games if they ultimately shut down permanently, but what were they thinking trying to call themselves an essential service? Such a dumb move that they had to have known would not work out for them.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R