New redesign of Skype for Web blocks Firefox/Opera/Safari users

kuhnertdm

News Link: https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/8/18255848/skype-for-web-hd-video-calling-recording-search-gallery-chrome-edge

/r/firefox Community Link: https://old.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/apu2u6/the_bad_old_days_are_back_according_to_skype_web/?st=jt0730bu&sh=8e5bf5aa

Microsoft has now released their new redesign of Skype for Web, their webapp version of the Skype videocalling service. The redesign brings new features to the webapp that were previously only available on the standalone apps, such as call recording, and HD video. Along with the redesign, Microsoft has chosen to block users on any web browser other than Edge, Chrome, or Chromium-based browsers, stating that the new webapp is not compatible. Firefox/Opera/Safari/etc users are not happy, and have also reported that the webapp behaves perfectly fine on Firefox if one were to spoof the user agent, which essentially has Firefox telling Microsoft "I'm a Chrome browser, so you should let me in."

In the olden days of Internet Explorer (circa IE6), Microsoft and other sites had gotten a lot of criticism for checking the user agent of the browser, and blocking anything that was not IE6, effectively blocking anyone who wanted to use an alternative. This caused the market share to become more consolidated in Microsoft's favor, and actually created a feedback loop, where more and more users switched to IE because they couldn't use any sites that employed this tactic, causing more developers to only support IE, causing more people to use IE, etc. We may now see this feedback loop happening once again in favor of Chrome, as Edge is now going to be using the Chromium rendering engine, narrowing down the number of viable alternatives.

That just makes me not want to use it even more.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Just incompetence??
I mean M$ fired the whole software Test Staff...

So its possible that they just messed it up...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

this is why discord is superior. slap OBS on it and bam, screen recording of call recording, and you got your HD video too. 

Rig 1: i7-9700k OC'd to 5.0ghz all core | EVGA XC RTX 2080Ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | ASUS PRIME Z370-P | Asetek 550LC 120mm | ADATA 480GB SSD & Toshiba P300 3TB | Cooler Master Masterbox MB500 | Win 10 Home | Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, G502 Proteus Spectrum, G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Wireless Limited Edition, Corsair MM300 Mouse Pad | 2 MSI Optix Curved 27" FHD Monitors 

(before i sold the WD drive and MSI gpu - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11946219 171 gaming. felt good.)

Rig 2: i7-7700k Stock clocks | MSI Armor GTX 1070 | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8GB | MSI Z270 A-Pro | WD Green 240GB SSD & 2TB Seagate HDD | Thermaltake Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition | Win 10 Home | 2 HP Omen FHD 144hz 24.5" Monitors 

Rig 3: i7-6700 | GT 730 & GT 645 OEM | Some random DDR4 2133mhz 2x8gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | WD Black 2TB HDD & Toshiba 1TB HDD | Win 10 Home | 3 27" Dell FHD Monitors 

Rig 4: i7-4770 | EVGA SSC 1050ti | Some random DDR3 ram 2x2gb and 2x4gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | Stock Cooler | 1TB WD Black HDD | Win 7 Home 

RIP 

Rig 5 (dead and dismantled and sold) : i7-7820X OC'd to 4.8ghz all core | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO | Asetek 240mm AIO | WD Green 240gb SSD | Other various components that I can't remember

Rig 6 (same fate as rig 5) i7-8700k stock clocks | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8gb | MSI Z370 A-Pro | Asetek 550LC 120mm | WD Green 240GB SSD & Toshiba 2TB HDD | Other various components that I can't Remember 

This to me looks like MS+ Google did a browser market fixing, first they switch Edge to chromium, cry about Firefox should use chromium as well, and now they start blocking non chrome/edge stuff just like google did with youtube new UI and video player where they implemented experimental stuff leaving firefox and non chromium browsers with performance/rendering issues.

I have no doubt now MS is playing dirty with Google on the browser market.

26 minutes ago, thexzenon said:

Isn't Opera Chromium-based?

Yeah, it is. And what's even more ironic, all Chromium based browsers are actually based off Safari which gave away its WebKit engine... This is some hardcore level PR idiocy from Microsoft. I guess they really want to absolutely kill Skype just like they killed MSN Messenger... Messenger didn't go dodo because people lost interest in it, it went dodo because MS made dumb decisions with it until they just killed it off in the end.

30 minutes ago, thexzenon said:

It is based on the Chromium engine, it doesn't really make sense why Opera would be blocked though as mentioned it does seem like market fixing.

13 minutes ago, TH3R34P3R said:

this is why discord is superior. slap OBS on it and bam, screen recording of call recording, and you got your HD video too. 

Yeah discord is much better, but skype is still used in alot of businesses.

36 minutes ago, kuhnerdm said:

In the olden days of Internet Explorer (circa IE6), Microsoft and other sites had gotten a lot of criticism for checking the user agent of the browser, and blocking anything that was not IE6, effectively blocking anyone who wanted to use an alternative. This caused the market share to become more consolidated in Microsoft's favor, and actually created a feedback loop, where more and more users switched to IE because they couldn't use any sites that employed this tactic, causing more developers to only support IE, causing more people to use IE, etc. We may now see this feedback loop happening once again in favor of Chrome, as Edge is now going to be using the Chromium rendering engine, narrowing down the number of viable alternatives.

Actually, it is web developers pushing for IE support only (complete with fix screen resolutions), due to laziness, by going via market-share argument.

More and more websites are doing the same now with Chrome. The website does not exclude any web browser, but page element don't perform well (YouTube was guilty of this until found by Microsoft and Mozilla), or just doesn't work at all.

Soon your only choice will be:

- Chrome

- Chromium

- New Microsoft Edge (or whatever it will be called, as it would use Chrome engine)

As for the business world, well company choice was to cut cost, and only supporting 1 web browser that all the corporate company computer would have (IE6)... yup, ended up costing more money in the end if they would just use standard multi-web browser support.

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

It is based on the Chromium engine, it doesn't really make sense why Opera would be blocked though as mentioned it does seem like market fixing.

Yeah discord is much better, but skype is still used in alot of businesses.

Irony is, out of Chrome based engine browsers, Opera is really the only usable one. It has nice features and is really fast thanks to built in super fast adblocker. But for some dumb reason has the lowest user share and most webpages don't even recognize it as legit browser. Blocking it on purpose or making it perform badly just means someone is dicking around with it on purpose.

9 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

- Chrome

- Chromium

- New Microsoft Edge (or whatever it will be called, as it would use Chrome engine)

And then this happens again. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.

The EFF, FSF, and Mozilla need to push to sue for antitrust violations.

So yesterday I fitted my Mum's laptop with an SSD because it was running slower than a guy with no legs.

After I had installed Windows I was doing drivers and midway through a driver install and without warning the laptop turned off because the battery died which obviously caused the Windows install to bork. To remedy this is used System Restore from WinRE and I was quickly back into Windows.

After a few minutes I noticed the Firefox icon was gone from the desktop and had been replaced by an Edge icon. I know for a definite fact the restore point I had chosen was after I installed FF so there was no real reason for it to have gone anywhere. A quick check and sure enough, System Restore had removed FF (entirely) and replaced it's icons with Edge. It did not remove any other software I had installed however.

I was not a happy bunny.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Man, I stopped using skype a bit ago. It used to be the standard for all my brother's and I's friends but we all slowly moved onto discord since it had a better layout and the role/ranking stuff.

Just another reason that I'll never go back. Thanks microretards.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I use to really like skype too, but all my friends started to have problems with it, and now its kinda glitchy for me, and the updates aren't great, like this update. And I hate discord for not allowing custom usernames (they add random numbers to the end) and not allowing you to search for users like you can on skype or steam (or literally any other service, really).

I need an alternative.

Oh man as a Firefox user what ever will I do. Oh wait, this is Skype? The same skype I ditched years ago? Meh. Also, who even uses skype for web lmfao

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

yay MS doing dickbag things when they dont have too

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Oh man as a Firefox user what ever will I do. Oh wait, this is Skype? The same skype I ditched years ago? Meh. Also, who even uses skype for web lmfao

Actually, this would not affect you even if you were an avid user of Skype. This is Skype for web. This is for the rare case where you want to use Skype, and it happened to not be installed on the system. You'll be using the Skype app.

45 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

So yesterday I fitted my Mum's laptop with an SSD because it was running slower than a guy with no legs.

After I had installed Windows I was doing drivers and midway through a driver install and without warning the laptop turned off because the battery died which obviously caused the Windows install to bork. To remedy this is used System Restore from WinRE and I was quickly back into Windows.

After a few minutes I noticed the Firefox icon was gone from the desktop and had been replaced by an Edge icon. I know for a definite fact the restore point I had chosen was after I installed FF so there was no real reason for it to have gone anywhere. A quick check and sure enough, System Restore had removed FF (entirely) and replaced it's icons with Edge. It did not remove any other software I had installed however.

I was not a happy bunny.

Actually, Windows does not remove Firefox icon or any icons on the desktop. Edge is added from one of the Windows updates, but that is all.

What you need to keep in mind is that, even if you have an SSD, Windows doesn't write everything to the storage right away. If you want to disable that, and actually write the data, then you need to need to go in Device manager, go on your drive properties, then go under the policy tab.

And from there, you want to set "Quick Removal", or at the very least "Better performance", but uncheck the 2 check boxes bellow, "Enable write caching." and "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device"

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

- Chrome

- Chromium

You’re forgetting WebKit which is an open source rendering engine from Apple. I think even Goofle has forked some WebKit components and used it in their Blink engine. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Actually, this would not affect you even if you were an avid user of Skype. This is Skype for web. This is for the rare case where you want to use Skype, and it happened to not be installed on the system. You'll be using the Skype app.

Yes that's why I said, who even uses skype for web?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Actually, Windows does not remove Firefox icon or any icons on the desktop. Edge is added from one of the Windows updates, but that is all.

What you need to keep in mind is that, even if you have an SSD, Windows doesn't write everything to the storage right away. If you want to disable that, and actually write the data, then you need to need to go in Device manager, go on your drive properties, then go under the policy tab.

And from there, you want to set "Quick Removal", or at the very least "Better performance", but uncheck the 2 check boxes bellow, "Enable write caching." and "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device"

No, nice try but no. Firefox had been installed for over 3 hours and had survived multiple reboots plus I physically deleted the Edge icon from both the taskbar and the desktop myself. System Restore uninstalled it from the laptop entirely and replaced the icons with Edge, it even removed the appdata as when I reinstalled it none of the saved information was present.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Not cool Microsoft. Don't want to support those other browsers? Fine. But outright blocking them via an artificial means (checking the agent) is definitely anti-consumer and anti-competitive.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Even at my job place we no longer use Skype, it was replaced in favor for WhatsApp and Telegram.

Who still uses it? it become bloatware I need to constantly get rid off every Windows 10 update.

Also as a Firefox only user (I don't even have another browser aside Edge on my systems), I can guarantee it's doing just fine, some proprietary shitty service less and less people uses is not a signal Firefox will die at all.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 hours ago, thexzenon said:

depends which version of opera really.. trough the few years i've bothered opera changed mindset more than a stereotypical teenage girl.

vivaldi tastes just fine however..