Apple finally enters 5G - iPhone 12 + homePod mini announcement

williamcll

Available October 23 
image.thumb.png.3b0cdea0dc2321aab613833c6cf375fa.png

image.png.d5c6ddf78c311a3ceab2976df8eb0ed6.png

iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini introduce a beautiful new design packed with innovative features, including A14 Bionic, an advanced dual-camera system, and a Super Retina XDR display with the Ceramic Shield front cover. iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini will be available in five beautiful aluminum finishes, including blue, green, black, white, and (PRODUCT)RED.1 Pre-orders for iPhone 12 begin Friday, October 16, with availability beginning Friday, October 23. iPhone 12 mini will be available for pre-order beginning Friday, November 6, and in stores beginning Friday, November 13.

iPhone 12 in black, white, red, green, and blue, demonstrating water resistance.

iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini deliver powerful computational photography features enabled by A14 Bionic and a new dual-camera system, bringing an unparalleled camera experience that makes it easier than ever to intuitively capture the perfect photograph or video. This advanced camera system features the Ultra Wide camera and a new Wide camera with an ƒ/1.6 aperture, the fastest yet on iPhone, providing 27 percent more light for even more amazing low-light photos and videos. Computational photography is taken to the next level on iPhone 12 models with Night mode and faster-performing Deep Fusion now on all cameras — TrueDepth, Wide, and Ultra Wide — for improved photos in any environment. Customers will experience brighter pictures and better contrast for photos shot in low-light settings with Night mode, and more texture and less noise in Deep Fusion photos. Smart HDR 3 uses ML to intelligently adjust the white balance, contrast, texture, and saturation of a photo for remarkably natural-looking images.

large.gif

MagSafe improves wireless charging for a better, more efficient experience, and introduces an ecosystem of easy-to-attach accessories that beautifully complement iPhone 12 models.7 MagSafe delivers a unique experience to iPhone, featuring an array of magnets around the wireless charging coil, optimized for alignment and efficiency, that perfectly connects to iPhone every time. MagSafe chargers efficiently provide up to 15W of power, while still accommodating existing Qi-enabled devices. Charging solutions include the MagSafe Charger and MagSafe Duo Charger for use with iPhone and Apple Watch, as well as new silicone, leather, and clear cases that easily snap onto the back of iPhone, and a leather wallet. Customers can also expect innovative MagSafe accessories from third-party manufacturers.

At the same time, they've also introduced a new homepod:

HomePod mini offers a great music listening experience, an intelligent assistant, and smart home capabilities, with built-in privacy and security, in a beautiful compact design. HomePod mini is designed to work with Apple Music, podcasts, radio stations from iHeartRadio, radio.com, and TuneIn, and in the coming months, popular music services including Pandora and Amazon Music. Multiple HomePod mini speakers work together to stream music or podcasts to multiple rooms, all in perfect sync. By placing two HomePod mini speakers in a single room, a stereo pair can be created for a wide soundstage, filling the space with rich, enveloping sound.
large.jpg

HomePod mini delivers an incredibly rich and detailed acoustic experience, using computational audio to deliver peak performance. To achieve big sound out of such a compact design, the Apple S5 chip in HomePod mini works with advanced software to analyze the unique characteristics of the music and apply complex tuning models to optimize loudness, adjust the dynamic range, and control the movement of the driver and passive radiators in real time. The Apple-engineered full-range driver, powered by a neodymium magnet and a pair of force-cancelling passive radiators, enables deep bass and crisp high frequencies.

Source: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/10/apple-announces-iphone-12-and-iphone-12-mini-a-new-era-for-iphone-with-5g/

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/10/apple-introduces-homepod-mini-a-powerful-smart-speaker-with-amazing-sound/
https://www.apple.com/iphone-12-pro/
https://www.apple.com/iphone-12/
https://www.apple.com/homepod-mini/

Thoughts: I do like the iPhone 4 style sharper edges compared to the usual rounded corners. The return of the magsafe is a nice touch, but the 1099$ tag is still rather expensive. 

large.gif

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

No high refresh screen, I think my 3 year old iPhone X will have to do another year...

My Gaming PC:
Inno3D iChill Black - RTX 4080 - +500 Memory, undervolted Core, 2xCorsair QX120 (push) + 2xInno3D 120mm (pull)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - NZXT x72
G.SKILL Trident Z @6000MHz CL30 - 2x16GB
Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming

1x500GB Samsung 960 Pro (Windows 11)

1x2TB Kingston KC3000 (Games)

1x1TB WD Blue SN550 (Programs)

1x1TB Samsung 870 EVO (Programs)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11 Vision
ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (240hz OLED), MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Wooting 60HE

Audeze LCD2-C + FiiO K3

Klipsch RP600-M + Klipsch R-120 SW

My Notebook:

MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16GB

Proxmox-Cluster:

• Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus Strix X570E F-Gaming, 2x32GB3200MHz ECC, 2x 512GB NVMe ZFS-Mirror (Boot + Testing-VMs), 2x14TB ZFS-Mirror + 1x3TB (TrueNAS-VM), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 10G NIC
  • i7 8700k delidded undervolted, Gigabyte Z390 UD, 4x16GB 3200MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC
  • i5 4670, 3x4GB + 1x8GB 1600MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC

Proxmox-Backup-Server:

• i5 4670, 4x4GB 1600MHz, 2x2TB ZFS-Mirror, 2,5G NIC

I usually like Apple events, but that event was a fucking mess. Apparently the entire event got leaked before it was over too (as in the entire video stream)...

I guess maybe it's because we knew most of what was coming before it came, but like the only thing exciting that came from the event was the fact that the iPhone XR is $499 now.

One day, Apple will finally use USB-C on iPhone. Today is not that day.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

But they included a Lightning to USB-C cable! So you can plug it into the charging brick you already got!

...that has a USB-A port on it, meaning you can't actually use it. Oops.

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Apparently they're gonna go portless on the iPhone before they put USB-C. Apple makes too much money off of MFi certification to give it up I guess. They must be transitioning that MFi certification from cables to MagSafe accessories.

Rather disappointing launch IMO, But I can't say It wasn't expected. I Did it Ma! I got 5g!  

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

4 minutes ago, Noah0302 said:

No high refresh screen, I think my 3 year old iPhone X will have to do another year...

120Hz would have been far more interesting that Dolby HDR video or whatever TBH.

Just now, Lord Vile said:

So they essentially making android cameras a laughing stock...

Video wise? iPhone has always been better. Camera wise, we'll see, a lot of Android manufacturers are focusing much more on their cameras.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

The mag Safe is Nice. The looks are going to carry this version's sales.... I will wait until next year to get the mini iphone 12....

They made such a useless big deal out of 5g... Everything else was MEH. 

1 minute ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Rather disappointing launch IMO, But I can't say It wasn't expected. I Did it Ma! I got 5g!  

It was a Verizon event with a phone launch in it.

It's so sad because WWDC 2020 was such an amazing event and I had such high hopes for the iPhone event. Turns out the only person at Apple with charisma is literally just Craig...

What the ****? "The new iPhone with 5G will save lives because it only take mere seconds to donwload a CAT scan." - What is wrong with the US health care system? Are they seriously using an iPhone to view CAT scans? And why is Apple trying really hard to look like a cool and innovative start-up company (spoiler: they are not)?

1 minute ago, HenrySalayne said:

What the ****? "The new iPhone with 5G will save lives because it only take mere seconds to donwload a CAT scan." - What is wrong with the US health care system? Are they seriously using an iPhone to view CAT scans? And why is Apple trying really hard to look like a cool and innovative start-up company (spoiler: they are not)?

I think they were merely just talking about the possible uses of 5G in any product, not just an iPhone.

13 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Wireless >>> USB-C.

also has anyone else not noted how it sounds like all Apple is including in the box aside from the phone will be the cable?
nxw1rd.png

and not just a standard cable... fgva4s.png

a cable that ends in Type-C.

Not everyone has Type-C Plugs in and around their house.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Don't like all the proprietary image and video formats.

Their ecosystem is a mess.

Generally iPhone 12 is an impressive device and I'm not going to nitpick about things. But I don't like two things. Lack of charger and inclusion of pointless USB-C to Lightning cable. Come on, only device in my entire household that even has USB-C port is my PC with USB-C port on the case. Everything else has USB-A. Laptops, PC, all the chargers, USB ports in all the cars. Removing charger under pretense of ecology is really shitty. Second thing that I don't like is this obsession with sticking magnets everywhere. And they are always those super strong ones. God forbid you have steel/iron particles around you coz they'll be grabbing on to your phone. Not to mention all these magnets are a nightmare if you're wearing mechanical watches because it fucks up the heart of the watch. I know it's expected everyone's going to use Apple Watch with it, but come on.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Generally iPhone 12 is an impressive device and I'm not going to nitpick about things. But I don't like two things. Lack of charger and inclusion of pointless USB-C to Lightning cable. Come on, only device in my entire household that even has USB-C port is my PC with USB-C port on the case. Everything else has USB-A. Laptops, PC, all the chargers, USB ports in all the cars. Removing charger under pretense of ecology is really shitty. Second thing that I don't like is this obsession with sticking magnets everywhere. And they are always those super strong ones. God forbid you have steel/iron particles around you coz they'll be grabbing on to your phone. Not to mention all these magnets are a nightmare if you're wearing mechanical watches because it fucks up the heart of the watch. I know it's expected everyone's going to use Apple Watch with it, but come on.

That’s the funny thing to me is that like more packaging and shipping needs to be made now  because not everyone has a type a lightning cable and not everyone has a type-c wall plug. So it’s like why not just include it in the box? Less packaging and if the customer doesn’t need it then how about have a free service to return that unneeded accessory 

22 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

In an emergency setting the people looking at your scans usually aren’t in the hospital. They could be anywhere since they’re on call, leading their lives and such.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

13 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It's gonna happen across all phones within the next year or so. The phone industry will follow the same 3 step cycle.

1) Laugh at Apple removing a necessary feature/item

2) See Apple's sales grow despite lacking the necessary feature/item.

3) Quickly adopt what Apple did and pretend Step 1 never happened

By Step 3 it's iPhone Event time again and the cycle repeats itself.

4 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

It's gonna happened across all phones within the next year or so. The phone industry will follow the same 3 step cycle.

1) Laugh at Apple removing a necessary feature/item

2) See Apple's sales grow despite lacking the necessary feature/item.

3) Quickly adopt what Apple did and pretend Step 1 never happened

By Step 3 it's iPhone Event time again and the cycle repeats itself.

just like headphone jacks lmfao

It happened several times so far. Notch and removal of jack port to name two biggest ones. Yeah, it'll happen and it sucks.

Just now, RejZoR said:

It happened several times so far. Notch and removal of jack port to name two biggest ones. Yeah, it'll happen and it sucks.

Makes me feel better about doubling down on an iPhone 11 Pro Max deal a few days ago...

I get a fast charger in the box? Crazy right?!...