Apple finally enters 5G - iPhone 12 + homePod mini announcement

williamcll
2 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Seem's like a whole lot of complaining because, well, tat's wat the forum does.

No lightning ->usb A....you mean the cable you can get for a few bucks at any store you can think of? And the new phones still work with all the lightning based accessories that people have invested in already? I remember when apple went from the docking port to ligting and that pissed everyone off..why should they do that now, especially when the future is looking more and more like wireless charging. So they should switch twice in quick succession?

Of course, had they included a lighting usbA cable, you'd be bitching about ewaste on that.

USB-A is far more common than USB-C. Like 80:20 more common easily.

3 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Seem's like a whole lot of complaining because, well, tat's wat the forum does.

No lightning ->usb A....you mean the cable you can get for a few bucks at any store you can think of? And the new phones still work with all the lightning based accessories that people have invested in already? I remember when apple went from the docking port to ligting and that pissed everyone off..why should they do that now, especially when the future is looking more and more like wireless charging. So they should switch twice in quick succession?

Of course, had they included a lighting usbA cable, you'd be bitching about ewaste on that.

The biggest problem is that the price didn't reduce.

Also, for the new fast charging, you need the new wall charger in any case.

And no, you can't use "any" cheapo cable. Cheap USB cables use crappy internal connections and thin wiring which doesn't permit high current to flow through, making your device slow to charge, or have issues between car to phone integration.

No, we would not be complaining about ewaste. As I explained, charger and cable aren't as much of an ewaste problem then the fact that the phones aren't reused.

People were pissed when Apple switch from docking port to lighting because you are passing from 1 proprietary connector to another (which now includes a lock chip!). And at first, Apple was the sole maker of that cable, because again, lock chip, and the cable was sold at a premium price. On top of things, the new connector has its pin exposed, which brought many to report connection issues, from either dust/lint going inside the port of the device and preventing a good connection, or the pin of the connector getting damaged, preventing a good connection. And on top of that, Apple reduced the quality of its cables. So, yea, people where pissed for a good reason. Apple did re-improve on quality, and now open the gate for other manufactures to be able to order lock chips from them (until it was found how to replicate it to allow dollar store cables to be a thing).

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Also, for the new fast charging, you need the new wall charger in any case.

You don't need Apple's charger -- you just need a USB PD charger to get the improved speeds.

Just now, Commodus said:

You don't need Apple's charger -- you just need a USB PD charger to get the improved speeds.

Except if your device has anything, Apple will void the warranty for not using Apple genuine charger and cable.

3 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

No lightning ->usb A....you mean the cable you can get for a few bucks at any store you can think of?

sure, the cheep knockoffs that sometimes melt (had that happen once) the thing is, most people dont have the type c brick, so you just have this useless lightning to usb c cable that you end up throwing away.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Except if your device has anything, Apple will void the warranty for not using Apple genuine charger and cable.

Apple has no way of knowing. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Apple has no way of knowing. 

Yes, they can just ask for it.

You don't have... 'ah sorry! Not covered'

I don't know the situation in North America, but here in the EU Apple would have to proof the charger is responsible for the failure to reject warranty claims. Forcing consumers to only use genuine or certified Apple chargers, screams for a lawsuit. Because USB PD includes some form of communication between the charger, the cable and the device, you could (in theory) store the information about used chargers and read it out.

Yes, they can just ask for it.

You don't have... 'ah sorry! Not covered'

People lie. I see it every day at my job. Many people use multiple chargers to charge their phones. Apple has no way of knowing how you charge your device. Plus most manufacturers don’t ask for cords or wall warts back for warranty work. 

42 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

People lie. I see it every day at my job. Many people use multiple chargers to charge their phones. Apple has no way of knowing how you charge your device. Plus most manufacturers don’t ask for cords or wall warts back for warranty work. 

You really have to use those questionable 15W chargers for $1.99 from AliExpress to make something go bad.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

You really have to use those questionable 15W chargers for $1.99 from AliExpress to make something go bad.

Exactly. Me I’d buy a good charger like an Anker or something like that. 

10 hours ago, RejZoR said:

USB-A is far more common than USB-C. Like 80:20 more common easily.

so apple sels devices to last, most users that buy these phones will be using them for at least 4 years (apple will likly provide OS updates for over 6 years if the tends of the recent releases are anythign to go by).  Do you expect that in 3 to 5 years time you will have any USB-A powered devices? With the new EU law all new phones and other small eltronics are legaly required to be USB-C wall chargers so this is why apple are moving to USB-C cable since its simpler to just do this for the entier world than only do it in the EU.

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

the warrenty has not such terms within it so they cant void it for terms that are not included in the warenty. 

6 hours ago, hishnash said:

so apple sels devices to last, most users that buy these phones will be using them for at least 4 years (apple will likly provide OS updates for over 6 years if the tends of the recent releases are anythign to go by).  Do you expect that in 3 to 5 years time you will have any USB-A powered devices? With the new EU law all new phones and other small eltronics are legaly required to be USB-C wall chargers so this is why apple are moving to USB-C cable since its simpler to just do this for the entier world than only do it in the EU.

Do you buy new charger every 2-3 years or when it dies which might happen in like 20 years? USB-A is not going around. I mean, everyone is screaming how e-waste is bad and then we're suppose to throw away billions of USB-A chargers and buy USB-C charger because that is ecological. Yay!

10 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Do you buy new charger every 2-3 years or when it dies which might happen in like 20 years? USB-A is not going around. I mean, everyone is screaming how e-waste is bad and then we're suppose to throw away billions of USB-A chargers and buy USB-C charger because that is ecological. Yay!

The main reason is the EU law that rewquires all charging cables to terminate with USB-C.

12 minutes ago, hishnash said:

The main reason is the EU law that rewquires all charging cables to terminate with USB-C.

Wait that's a thing? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

26 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Wait that's a thing? 

A universal charger that works with any phone? Yeah that's a thing. But as far as i know only a law proposition was passed, it has yet to become one.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

19 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

sure, the cheep knockoffs that sometimes melt (had that happen once) the thing is, most people dont have the type c brick, so you just have this useless lightning to usb c cable that you end up throwing away.

Surely if you can afford an iPhone you can afford a USB-C brick? Anker PD USB-C charger on Amazon UK £18.99, hardly a huge expense on top of an iPhone and likely better quality than the Apple one anyway. Might as well get an Anker cable too before the Apple one fails.

5 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Wait that's a thing? 

Yeah, it happen a few months back. So I guess we can blame the EU for no charger and a different cable. 

3 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

Surely if you can afford an iPhone you can afford a USB-C brick? Anker PD USB-C charger on Amazon UK £18.99, hardly a huge expense on top of an iPhone and likely better quality than the Apple one anyway. Might as well get an Anker cable too before the Apple one fails.

It's not about who can afford what. It's about marketing it as a move for ecology and reduction of "e-waste" and then you force almost everyone to either buy a different cable or extra different charger coz you don't have one with USB-C output...

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

and then you force almost everyone to either buy a different cable or extra different charger coz you don't have one with USB-C output...

Easy solution: Don't buy an iPhone 12.
When Android phones switched from Micro USB-B to USB-C it was the exactly the same. And nobody complained. Apple users can easily use their old infrastructure with their new device. I would guess at least 90% of costumers own "old" Lightning cables and USB-A chargers. And the rest has to spend a little bit more on additional accessories.

And I actually think it will reduce e-waste. I haven't used the included chargers of my last few phones much and I certainly don't need them. Why would I replace the 3-port supplies on my desk or my night table with single port USB-C chargers? There is no reason Apple has to sell "My first smartphone" starter packages with printed manuals and all the things you need.

You could argue they should have included a USB-A Lightning cable. But for quite some time now there aren't many products with USB-A sockets in Apples line-up anyway. USB-C is on all recent devices.

Yeah, sorry, it's probably going to take a while for me to come anywhere near Android again...

41 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Easy solution: Don't buy an iPhone 12.
When Android phones switched from Micro USB-B to USB-C it was the exactly the same. And nobody complained. 

Because usb c is clearly better and the charging brick and cable were included.

45 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

And I actually think it will reduce e-waste.

It surely will. The thing is they shouldn't have marketed it as an environmental move.

5 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

And I actually think it will reduce e-waste. I haven't used the included chargers of my last few phones much and I certainly don't need them. Why would I replace the 3-port supplies on my desk or my night table with single port USB-C chargers? There is no reason Apple has to sell "My first smartphone" starter packages with printed manuals and all the things you need.

You could argue they should have included a USB-A Lightning cable. But for quite some time now there aren't many products with USB-A sockets in Apples line-up anyway. USB-C is on all recent devices.

What manufactures (this is not solely about Apple I don't think) can do is sell a phone packaged with the necessary cable and charger and one without a charger or perhaps even a cable. That way the consumer who hasn't used a usb-c device before doesn't have to worry about getting a third-party cable/charger and the other kind of consumer can use their current one that they have. This can be done easily and I think it benefits the people more unlike the way some manufactures are doing it right now. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

17 minutes ago, Master Delta Chief said:

What manufactures (this is not solely about Apple I don't think) can do is sell a phone packaged with the necessary cable and charger and one without a charger or perhaps even a cable. That way the consumer who hasn't used a usb-c device before doesn't have to worry about getting a third-party cable/charger and the other kind of consumer can use their current one that they have. This can be done easily and I think it benefits the people more unlike the way some manufactures are doing it right now. 

They can easily have the product always apart, and on the store front you can pick to buy: "Phone only", or "Phone + Charger Bundle & Save".

If you pick "Phone only" you enjoy a lower price device.

If you pick "Phone + Charger" you pay regular price, but save compared to buying the phone and later a charger.

This way, no additional SKU needed.

But anyway, it doesn't matter. People will run and buy the latest iPhone regardless.

Samsung is already following, I won't be surprised if the new Galaxy S11 or whatever, will have the box, same size as before, even the compartment for a charger, but no charger in the box. Then the others will follow suit.

Next year, you'll buy a laptop, and no charger will be included, despite using a proprietary power adapter which they change every now and then.

You'll buy a desktop computer and PSU, and the power cable to power it is not included in the box. In fact, modular PSUs won't have the needed cables, those will be sold apart... but of course, price remains the same, and everyone will run and buy it.

So, I'll I get to say, is enjoy while it last.

This will come back, if and only if, they are multiple disasters where people buy crap adapter that blows up, and the law will force manufacture to include a proper UL certified one in the box, and companies will "Ok no problem, another reason to raise the price... LOL!"