Apple finally enters 5G - iPhone 12 + homePod mini announcement

williamcll

Can't wait for Linus's take on this event and the removal of the charger. I assume they're doing a video on this since event overviews are practically just having free money being handed to you. Can't blame them for playing the game of the algorithm.

21 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Generally iPhone 12 is an impressive device and I'm not going to nitpick about things. But I don't like two things. Lack of charger and inclusion of pointless USB-C to Lightning cable. Come on, only device in my entire household that even has USB-C port is my PC with USB-C port on the case. Everything else has USB-A. Laptops, PC, all the chargers, USB ports in all the cars. Removing charger under pretense of ecology is really shitty. Second thing that I don't like is this obsession with sticking magnets everywhere. And they are always those super strong ones. God forbid you have steel/iron particles around you coz they'll be grabbing on to your phone. Not to mention all these magnets are a nightmare if you're wearing mechanical watches because it fucks up the heart of the watch. I know it's expected everyone's going to use Apple Watch with it, but come on.

Well if people can afford an iphone they can afford another $20-30 for a usb-c charger, but everyone is still going to buy it anyway even though you're getting no charger.

And the eco friendly claim is ridiculous, if Apple actually cared about the environment they would let the user service their own device.

8 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It happened several times so far. Notch and removal of jack port to name two biggest ones. Yeah, it'll happen and it sucks.

I can still buy a phone that has a 3.5mm jack, but about every other manufacturer has moved on from the notch, the hole punch isn't what I would prefer vs. just having slim top and bottom bezels but a lot less annoying than a notch.

42 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

120Hz would have been far more interesting that Dolby HDR video or whatever TBH.

Not really it's just a gimmick on phones. With just UI 120Hz isn't a game changer.

42 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Video wise? iPhone has always been better. Camera wise, we'll see, a lot of Android manufacturers are focusing much more on their cameras.

With the larger sensor, low light improvement and processing that's just going to kill the pixel though. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

10 minutes ago, Fooshi said:

Starting at $699

Oh, it's the Mini

Starting from $799

Oh, it's only with AT&T

$829 before trade-in, SIM-free

200.gif

What in the god damn fuck is this kind of arse marketing? If this was anywhere within the EU, Apple would be hung, drawn and quartered. And the base storage option is STILL 64GB.

Uk marketing is the same, same in France just more expensive in general.

I too like to overheat and kill my battery at twice the speed, all while using twice the amount of power required at half the charging speed.

Agree, magsafe add ons seem cool though.

9 minutes ago, Fooshi said:

I too like to overheat and kill my battery at twice the speed, all while using twice the amount of power required at half the charging speed.

Let’s face it, it’s not 2010 anymore - wireless charging has come a long way. Time to ditch the 🦖 

39 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

also has anyone else not noted how it sounds like all Apple is including in the box aside from the phone will be the cable?
nxw1rd.png

and not just a standard cable... fgva4s.png

a cable that ends in Type-C.

Not everyone has Type-C Plugs in and around their house.

Apple assumes that everyone and their mother owns a latest generation Mac with does come with USB-C

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well if people can afford an iphone they can afford another $20-30 for a usb-c charger, but everyone is still going to buy it anyway.

And the eco friendly claim is ridiculous, if Apple actually cared about the environment they would let the user service their own device.

I can still buy a phone that has a 3.5mm jack, but about every other manufacturer has moved on from the notch, the hole punch isn't what I would prefer vs. just having slim top and bottom bezels but a lot less annoying than a notch.

They do offer industry leading long term software support. There is no other smartphone I could think of holding onto for 5 years. I do feel that way with iPhone XR. And after almost 2 years, my battery is still at 100% and it's still as fast as it was on day 1 when I bought it (granted, I'm only charging it to 80% using Juice Watch). People whine and complain about repairing, but to this date I haven't ever had the need to "repair" anything. I never smashed a single phone and I haven't had one die on me. They always ended up in use by someone else within family until they were so old and worn out there was no point in repairing. That was never the issue. However software support is. And you only get like 2 years at best from other companies.

16 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

It's gonna happen across all phones within the next year or so. The phone industry will follow the same 3 step cycle.

1) Laugh at Apple removing a necessary feature/item

2) See Apple's sales grow despite lacking the necessary feature/item.

3) Quickly adopt what Apple did and pretend Step 1 never happened

By Step 3 it's iPhone Event time again and the cycle repeats itself.

It's not really a necessary item, but this has more to do with convenience. I don't think anyone is thinking "I really wanted to buy an iPhone 12, but no charger in the box is a huge deal breaker." At the end of the day this is a $700+ phone, I shouldn't have to spend another $50 on something that should be included in the box. I wouldn't have a problem if they could be given to you for free as an option. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Not really it's just a gimmick on phones. With just UI 120Hz isn't a game changer.

Have you used 120Hz on a phone? It makes everything feel snappier and more responsive. Even 90Hz would have been a huge improvement over 60.

5 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

With the larger sensor, low light improvement and processing that's just going to kill the pixel though. 

Probably but I think Pixel's amazing processing might still be able to make up for the hardware deficit. Have you seen what they can do with the 4a? The pictures it takes could easily be mistaken for pictures from a flagship phone.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I could care less about the charger. I am all wireless in my house, and most people have a seal bricks floating around anyway.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

They do offer industry leading long term software support. There is no other smartphone I could think of holding onto for 5 years. I do feel that way with iPhone XR. And after almost 2 years, my battery is still at 100% and it's still as fast as it was on day 1 when I bought it (granted, I'm only charging it to 80% using Juice Watch). People whine and complain about repairing, but to this date I haven't ever had the need to "repair" anything. I never smashed a single phone and I haven't had one die on me. They always ended up in use by someone else within family until they were so old and worn out there was no point in repairing. That was never the issue. However software support is. And you only get like 2 years at best from other companies.

There are plenty of phones that offer 3 years, and updates for another year,apps will keep getting updates, though realistically most people will replace their phone every year, or there wouldn't be so much hype over apple launch events with a slightly better phone. Having the ability to order parts and fix my own phone is a nice thing to have, because glass is glass and glass breaks.

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It's not really a necessary item, but this has more to do with convenience. I don't think anyone is thinking "I really wanted to buy an iPhone 12, but no charger in the box is a huge deal breaker." At the end of the day this is a $700+ phone, I shouldn't have to spend another $50 on something that should be included in the box. I wouldn't have a problem if they could be given to you for free as an option. 

There  idea is that people don't use the stuff anyway so they might as well go the eco route. Personally I use the included charger for my MacBook at home but I use a 3rd party fast charger for my phone, MacBook, headphones and pretty much everything else. I've had 5 iPhones in the last 12 years and used one charger and maybe 2 pairs of headphones so out of 10 included accessories I've used 3 things.

Have you used 120Hz on a phone? It makes everything feel snappier and more responsive. Even 90Hz would have been a huge improvement over 60.

I have, I also am on a 165Hz monitor right now. It's nice on UI for about 10 mins then your eyes adjust and you stop noticing. Maybe people on the android size of things are just wowed because it means the device actually has to poll the touch layer faster, which iPhone has done since at least the X polling it at 120Hz making it feel more responsive.

Probably but I think Pixel's amazing processing might still be able to make up for the hardware deficit. Have you seen what they can do with the 4a? The pictures it takes could easily be mistaken for pictures from a flagship phone.

A flagship android phone. The Pixel and iPhone stand atop the phone camera world with nothing being close enough to be in the same post code. The 4a is nowhere close to the 4 or the iPhone.

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-4a-vs-pixel-4-camera-shootout-1146801/

Counterfeit Huawei smartphone? :P

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

1 hour ago, Noah0302 said:

No high refresh screen, I think my 3 year old iPhone X will have to do another year...

or wait untill a jailbreak. It looks like the pannel might be 120 capable, but not activated, going by some older leaks.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

There are plenty of phones that offer 3 years, and updates for another year,apps will keep getting updates, though realistically most people will replace their phone every year, or there wouldn't be so much hype over apple launch events with a slightly better phone. Having the ability to order parts and fix my own phone is a nice thing to have, because glass is glass and glass breaks.

Maybe Android users. iPhone users keep them for ridiculously long. There are people with iPhone 6S around. And quite a lot of them. That's over 6 generations ago! People using Androids for that long are in tiny minority. And software support is not helping that. It just absolutely sucks using phone that's very much capable, but it's trash coz it's stuck on some prehistoric Android version. And fragmentation of OS isn't helping the ecosystem either. And that's a huge problem with Android in general.

I can safely say I can hold on to iPhone XR till Apple releases a phone without a notch. And it'll serve me great all the way to then. And we know Apple is taking a sweet time getting there, meaning it's unlikely to happen even next year. I actually never held on any phone for long literally because of shit OS longevity experience. That entirely changed when I switched to iPhone. Not only it's fast and super responsive as it was on day 1, it's getting major OS update every year without any stupid delays. And I'm not the only one who values this above all the fancy notchless designs and all the crap Android phone makers stuff into their devices just to stand out. Most of it is just gimmick to get you on board, but once you're on board, they stop giving a shit about you. Until they release a new device next year. Apple is nothing like that even though they obviously want you to upgrade every year. But you can freely choose not to and not be penalized for it. At least as far as I'm concerned, it may depend on user needs.

1 hour ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

It's gonna happen across all phones within the next year or so. The phone industry will follow the same 3 step cycle.

1) Laugh at Apple removing a necessary feature/item

2) See Apple's sales grow despite lacking the necessary feature/item.

3) Quickly adopt what Apple did and pretend Step 1 never happened

By Step 3 it's iPhone Event time again and the cycle repeats itself.

This also happens the other way around. 

Apples "Retina" displays apparently aren't retina anymore because they now need more ppi and before. Mmmhhh. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

56 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

just like headphone jacks lmfao

image.thumb.png.a377c0f854740cc7faf58dad2588daa7.png

Wonder what Google dropped on the Pixel 2.

3 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Apples "Retina" displays apparently aren't retina anymore because they now need more ppi and before. Mmmhhh. 

Apple displays have been retina since the 4. As the phones have increased in size the resolution increases. If they want to go beyond retina because the panel cost doesn't change what's the issue with that? 

Believing that apple has removed the included charger for environmental purposes is just dumb. A $700 smartphone is still within the "expensive" category, adding $50+ isn't going to make things any better. I hope android manufacturers don't follow the same trend.

27 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

I have, I also am on a 165Hz monitor right now. It's nice on UI for about 10 mins then your eyes adjust and you stop noticing. Maybe people on the android size of things are just wowed because it means the device actually has to poll the touch layer faster, which iPhone has done since at least the X polling it at 120Hz making it feel more responsive.

A flagship android phone. 

Adding 120hz or even 90hz would be a nice feature, it doesn't have to run it out of the box. They could inform the users that battery life will take a hit and let them choose. There's no excuse not implementing it for that price.

And yeah, they finally used a 2340x1080 oled display on their cheaper devices.

22 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

My Note10 has 120hz touch polling with a 60hz screen and I can safely say that it feels less responsive than my Tab S7 with a 120Hz screen. A lot of tech reviewers who have all  the latest iPhones and Androids feel the same way about 60 vs 120Hz too.

28 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

The Pixel and iPhone stand atop the phone camera world with nothing being close enough to be in the same post code.

In terms of just pictures, I'd say most of the top end phones right now are pretty close. Video is where the iPhones pull ahead.

31 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

I didn't say it was, just that if you showed someone a photo from the 4a and asked them to estimate the price of the phone that took it, most people wouldn't guess less than $400. The pictures it takes are amazing for what kind of hardware it is working with and that's mostly the result of good processing. It will be interesting to see how the Pixel 5 stacks up vs the iPhone.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

17 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

My Note10 has 120hz touch polling with a 60hz screen and I can safely say that it feels less responsive than my Tab S7 with a 120Hz screen. A lot of tech reviewers who have all  the latest iPhones and Androids feel the same way about 60 vs 120Hz too.

Yeah when they're constantly switching between the two, swap for a day and you wouldn't notice or care.

In terms of just pictures, I'd say most of the top end phones right now are pretty close. Video is where the iPhones pull ahead.

Nah, Samsung is probably the closest to Google and Apple and they just look cartoony and low light is nowhere near as good,

I didn't say it was, just that if you showed someone a photo from the 4a and asked them to estimate the price of the phone that took it, most people wouldn't guess less than $400. The pictures it takes are amazing for what kind of hardware it is working with and that's mostly the result of good processing. It will be interesting to see how the Pixel 5 stacks up vs the iPhone.

It's better than phones that are 600 but the £600 phones also do more in other areas.

Depends what they do, it's running a mid tier chipset so I'm not expecting drastic improvements on the pixel side.

23 minutes ago, EL02 said:

Believing that apple has removed the included charger for environmental purposes is just dumb. A $700 smartphone is still within the "expensive" category, adding $50+ isn't going to make things any better. I hope android manufacturers don't follow the same trend.

What other reason would it be for? You're talking maybe a saving of a few dollars on apples end it barley effects their BOM cost.

Adding 120hz or even 90hz would be a nice feature, it doesn't have to run it out of the box. They could inform the users that battery life will take a hit and let them choose. There's no excuse not implementing it for that price.

Apart from it really doesn't improve anything so what's the point in inclusing it? I'd rather have a better screen vs a high refresh one on a phone.

And yeah, they finally used a 2340x1080 oled display on their cheaper devices.

Personally would have liked to see IPS. Still not a fan of OLED.

35 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

The Retina marketing term just means that from a normal viewing distance, pixels are so small a human "retina" cant see them.

It's how they can keep the same/similar PPI across their products and still call them "retina". The last huge jump in PPI was from the iPhone 7 to the iPhone X if I remember.

3 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Yeah when they're constantly switching between the two, swap for a day and you wouldn't notice or care.

I don't really get your point, getting used to it wouldn't suddenly make it less responsive. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Nah, Samsung is probably the closest to Google and Apple and they just look cartoony and low light is nowhere near as good,

Well idk, these 3 are pretty close TBH. The biggest difference between them is how they handle color, which is personal preference to a degree.

7 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Depends what they do, it's running a mid tier chipset so I'm not expecting drastic improvements on the pixel side.

Yeah, was mostly talking about the cameras. (Don't think the 5 is meant to compete with the 12 pros in most areas given that they cost like 40% more)

29 minutes ago, EL02 said:

Consumers are dumb. Most won't care about ProMotion either way, and they would have much worse battery life out of the box. The only way to disable ProMotion on an iPad is a toggle hidden in accessibility settings, they're not gonna shine a light on the ability to turn off their flagship feature.

Apple had a decision to make, it was either 5G or 120hz, and they chose 5G. Remember, on Apple's website they rate the iPhone 12 Pro Max at the same battery life as the smaller iPhone 11 Pro Max, so they obviously couldn't do both. It's much easier to market "your Netflix will be faster" than 120hz will ever be to the main public. It will come, it just got cut this year.

For most people, the iPhone 11 series is still the one to get, especially now that it's gonna be cheaper. The iPhone 12 series seems like a giant waste of money.