Apple finally enters 5G - iPhone 12 + homePod mini announcement

williamcll
7 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

One day, Apple will finally use USB-C on iPhone. Today is not that day.

Im almost convinced they have warehouses full of lightning cables/connectors and are trying to use them all. Because the fact is they already use the TypeC connector on like 2 models of the iPad. 

7 hours ago, rawrdaysgoby said:

The mag Safe is Nice. The looks are going to carry this version's sales.... I will wait until next year to get the mini iphone 12....

They made such a useless big deal out of 5g... Everything else was MEH. 

Magsafe seems kinda nice. Looks like it would work better than the cheap POS wireless charger I have siting on my desk. I do agree with you on 5G. Granted it will be a better wireless standard, the fact is we just dont have a good amount of coverage yet for anyone to care. Plus even 4G LTE is fast enough for most tasks your going to be doing on your phone. 

7 hours ago, rawrdaysgoby said:

I was hoping on the lower end model they add touch id...

They did have Touch ID on the new SE model. But I think the 12 is more of the Premium model compared to the SE. Not surprised to see only FaceID. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

for just productivity I don't notice the refresh rate difference because it's not doing anything that would make it matter.

I guess unless you're one of those people who get wet seeing how buttery smooth the Start menu is as it pops up on a 144Hz display hahahaaaa

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

10 hours ago, Fooshi said:

Starting at $699

Oh, it's the Mini

Starting from $799

Oh, it's only with AT&T

$829 before trade-in, SIM-free

200.gif

What? Where are you seeing any of that?

I was wrong, they’re tacking on a $29 premium on the 12 and 12 mini. Really stupid and misleading, they’ve never done this before so I’m unsure why they’re doing it now.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

10 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

also has anyone else not noted how it sounds like all Apple is including in the box aside from the phone will be the cable?
nxw1rd.png

and not just a standard cable... fgva4s.png

a cable that ends in Type-C.

Not everyone has Type-C Plugs in and around their house.

Well at least for people like me (and my family) that allready have 10 lightning to usb-a cables and wall plugs that are usb-a we can just use those.

10 hours ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

It's gonna happen across all phones within the next year or so. The phone industry will follow the same 3 step cycle.

1) Laugh at Apple removing a necessary feature/item

2) See Apple's sales grow despite lacking the necessary feature/item.

3) Quickly adopt what Apple did and pretend Step 1 never happened

By Step 3 it's iPhone Event time again and the cycle repeats itself.

I hate this about Android phone makers like Oneplus and Sammsung. I give Apple credit for at least TRIYING to explain their decision (even if the reasons they gave were pure BS) at least they came out an admitted they f***ed you over. Android phone makers were laughing one minute and the next they were dead silent when it came to headphone jacks

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

One thing I appreciate Apple doing is not adding "5G" to their name. Manufacturers such as Samsung keep adding the "5G" to their names when all of their new phones has 5G in it. The new iPhones' names are also pretty short and I personally think there's no use of adding 5G to a phone's name.

gaming 👍

9 minutes ago, Inter_ok said:

One thing I appreciate Apple doing is not adding "5G" to their name. Manufacturers such as Samsung keep adding the "5G" to their names when all of their new phones has 5G in it. The new iPhones' names are also pretty short and I personally think there's no use of adding 5G to a phone's name.

I'm guessing it's because they realize that for most normal people 5G doesn't actually matter. 

This is a general trend in tech (and cars), they try to brand their products with some new technology with numbers and abbreviations that do not matter to anyone really. People that are more interested (like most people on a forum like this) will know the spec anyway because they look them up and normal people just want a product that does the task they bought the product for.

6 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

what are you talking about? my iPhone XR didn't come with a Type-C wall plug

my mom's iPhone XS didn't come with a type c wall plug

Not in the US at least.

Sidenote: Okay for the 11 Pro they included it

but not everyone has an 11 pro and got a Type-C charger or a Lightning Cable.

So now more packaging and more shipping has to be done because now someone has to order/purchase a new wall plug

Or you have a USBC plug anyway because a lot of things have USBC charging? Including old iphones, iPads, Macs, the Nintendo switch, a lot of laptops come with a USBC charger. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Just realized something. That MagSafe wallet/card pocket? There are still credit cards that use magnetic strip. Imagine people putting those magnetic strip credit card in a pocket, next to super strong magnets. What could possibly go wrong...

15 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well if people can afford an iphone they can afford another $20-30 for a usb-c charger, but everyone is still going to buy it anyway even though you're getting no charger.

And the eco friendly claim is ridiculous, if Apple actually cared about the environment they would let the user service their own device.

I can still buy a phone that has a 3.5mm jack, but about every other manufacturer has moved on from the notch, the hole punch isn't what I would prefer vs. just having slim top and bottom bezels but a lot less annoying than a notch.

Oh don't worry. Samsung just saw the Apple event like us. Their marketing team is at work making ads laughing about the lack of charger and non USB Type-A ending cable. Then, 3 month later, they'll do the same. Samsung... But while Android users are having a fun party now  laughing at this, they'll act like Apple users when Samsung will do it.

I mean, you don't see people complaining about all the ads appearing on a Samsung device all over the place.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Just realized something. That MagSafe wallet/card pocket? There are still credit cards that use magnetic strip. Imagine people putting those magnetic strip credit card in a pocket, next to super strong magnets. What could possibly go wrong...

Funny you should mention that. When my sister and I were going to college, we went together do the the $150 a semester we had to pay to park. She had one of those magnetic phone holders in her car. So her phone has a magnet in its case, she actually demagnetized our parking pass and we couldn't get in to the parking structure. We had to go to the campus PD to get a new one. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

According to Apple, the wallet is shielded, which shouldn't come as a surprise.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Oh don't worry. Samsung just saw the Apple event like us. Their marketing team is at work making ads laughing about the lack of charger and non USB Type-A ending cable. Then, 3 month later, they'll do the same. Samsung... But while Android users are having a fun party now  laughing at this, they'll act like Apple users when Samsung will do it.

I mean, you don't see people complaining about all the ads appearing on a Samsung device all over the place.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised at all if Samsung took away the included charger, considering Samsung laughed at Apple taking away the headphone jack then removed it with the Note10.  But what annoys me is no one criticizes Apple for things like taking away the headphone jack, if you do you're just stuck to old tech, or including a charger, oh why would you need another one or just go buy one even though a $1,000 phone should include a charger not just a cable.

I think the ads are annoying, and with Samsung phones and all flagship phones getting more expensive,also no 3.5mm jack, I don't plan on switching to Apple but i'll probably look for a midrange phone instead.

Edited by Blademaster91
note 10 not galaxy 10

At least it's not partial support but with mmWave too. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

26 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised at all if Samsung took away the included charger, considering Samsung laughed at Apple taking away the headphone jack then removed it with the Galaxy S10. 

Note10, actually.

Which is even weirder because the Note tends to be the "power-user" kind of device although to be frank, that never meant to be the case starting with the Note5...

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

54 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Note10, actually.

Which is even weirder because the Note tends to be the "power-user" kind of device although to be frank, that never meant to be the case starting with the Note5...

Thanks for the correction, yeah I remember now people were upset over Note 10 ditching the headphone jack, the Note is supposed to be the do everything phone so I'd be disappointed. 

8 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

They have a wallet attachment, so that when you get mugged, not only do they steal your phone, they also steal your credit card and cash. 

Shame.... a wasted opportunity for them to sell an accessory for their accessory.

12 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

They have a wallet attachment, so that when you get mugged, not only do they steal your phone, they also steal your credit card and cash. 

image.png.b29847dbffcfe188343bc90285570274.png

Many phones have wallet cases, Doesn't make them great ideas, just noting that it's far from unique to the iPhone 12!

20 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Though in all honesty, who is stealing smartphones these days? It's literally a worthless brick without biometrics to unlock it. Share of people not using any must be like a tiny % and even they are using some 100€ smartphone and just plain don't care. Unless you're a poser faking like you're having a conversation on the latest iPhone and you think that somehow makes you cool, then you steal unusable smartphone...

38 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Though in all honesty, who is stealing smartphones these days?

A week ago somebody tried to pickpocket me as I was going up the stairs in the bus. Fortunately, somehow i caught my phone outside of my pocket without looking XD

22 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

What the ****? "The new iPhone with 5G will save lives because it only take mere seconds to donwload a CAT scan." - What is wrong with the US health care system? Are they seriously using an iPhone to view CAT scans? And why is Apple trying really hard to look like a cool and innovative start-up company (spoiler: they are not)?

Not from the US, but CAT scans downloads are a pain in the backside to download. In one country I've done it in (EU, Western Europe), they burn it to DVDs and give you the DVD. The pictures are usually 1-2 GB or 3-4 GB folders, each consists of hundreds, if not thousands of pictures that you have to scroll through fast enough that it looks like a video.

In another country, they host it online on a specified platform designed to do just that.

TL;DR: If you actually need to watch CAT scans on the go, which sometimes happens, 5G will definitely help. Should you use this as your main selling point? Eeh...

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

22 hours ago, Nowak said:

But they included a Lightning to USB-C cable! So you can plug it into the charging brick you already got!

...that has a USB-A port on it, meaning you can't actually use it. Oops.

If you have a USB-A charger for an iPhone already, chances are you have a fitting Lighting cable for it as well. How would you charge your iPhone otherwise? :) 

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

I get why people are a little disappointed with this latest lineup, but to be honest I feel it's the biggest real improvement they've made for years. The new lineup looks great... even if their professed push for environmental conservation is really an only slightly-veiled move to make their products even more profitable.

Finally, the main iPhone model has for the first time actually improved in pixel density over the iPhone 4... and it only took them a decade!  And it's gone back to that great iPhone 4 design with the flat edges. It seems kind of funny to me that after a full decade Apple's design team haven't been able to come up with a design that's better than that of the iPhone 4; but hey-ho we are talking about a company that happily sold laptops with defective keyboards for 4 generations. :D

To be fair though there are also some genuinely cool new things, imo. The iPhone 12 Mini is a great option for those who still want a premium, flagship iPhone but want a smaller version of it. MagSafe seems pretty nifty and is surprisingly affordable for an Apple peripheral. The camera improvements seem great, and the maximum screen brightness is pretty fantastic so should make the screens much more usable in brightly lit areas. The impact of 5G on battery life seems to not be that bad (especially considering they've made the phones thinner, and so likely decreased actual battery capacity ever so slightly).

Now... if only they'd ditch Lightning already and embrace USB C. You want to talk about environmental impact and not encouraging ewaste? Don't force people to buy proprietary cables and accessories.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff