Mini: Scientists successfully test Mosquito killing gene

rcmaehl

Source:
NPR

TL;DR:

Scientists have figured out a gene modification that can kill off mosquitoes as they try to reproduce, however debates will keep it from being used for a long time.

Quotes/Excerpts:

For the first time, scientists have demonstrated... genetic engineering can rapidly spread a self-destructive genetic modification through a complex species. The scientists used CRISPR to engineer mosquitoes with a "gene drive," which rapidly transmitted a sterilizing mutation. Mosquitoes carrying the mutation were released into cages filled with unmodified mosquitoes. Virtually all of the insects were wiped out. The mosquitoes were created... as a potent new weapon in the... fight against malaria... one of the world's deadliest diseases. The scientists acknowledge the technology raises serious concerns. One major concern is that eradicating... an entire species could have unpredictable effects on the environment. "It could lead to ecosystem crashes... It could lead to other species coming in to fill a niche that are even more a problem,...  It's beyond our ability to predict what the consequences are, except that it could be really devastating." Some worry the approach could be used to create new biological weapons. Crisanti and others argue the potential benefits far outweigh the risks.

My Thoughts:
Mosquitoes are the devil and I honestly believe they should be wiped out, however genetic modification of ANY species is always a hot topic for debate.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

it's dangerous to be playing natures architect. I have no idea if Mosquitos play any important role in nature but someone can seriously create a bigger problem than the one they are trying to solve.

Besides this can be used to sterilize a minority in a country for example.

"The arrogance of man is thinking they have control of nature, and not the other way around"

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

We are really good at killing things without worrying about the consequences...

As much as I despise mosquitoes, they are may be a crucial part of many ecosystems. Wiping them out might carry plenty of other species with them. The only harmless solution is to find better ways to avoid being bitten, not to exterminate the entire genome.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

How is this new? There were working applications of this back in like... December of 2015.

I mean Brazil has already released some back in late 2016 to help control Zika: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/10/brazil-will-release-billions-lab-grown-mosquitoes-combat-infectious-disease-will-it

Is this some significant new change to the gene drive? What's newsworthy about this particular mosquito gene drive strain?

7 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

How is this new? There were working applications of this back in like... December of 2015.

I mean Brazil has already released some back in late 2016 to help control Zika: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/10/brazil-will-release-billions-lab-grown-mosquitoes-combat-infectious-disease-will-it

Is this some significant new change to the gene drive? What's newsworthy about this particular mosquito gene drive strain?

I believe this one is specifically for Malaria which was a different challenge. I'll re-read it shortly. 

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

59 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Why not just plant colonies of dragonflies and damselflies in populated areas? They are prolific mosquito hunters both adult and larvae.

They would probably hijack the ecosystem.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

well you know animal testing is always the first step...

so when you guys say "kill them all" im willing to agree but by them id almost suggest we talk about the scientists behind this and destroy their research too.

today its mosquitos tommorrow its people. and before anyone notices were in the third reich again. the worst thing is you wont even notice. people will just be less furtile and then well probably blame it on plastics or some form of evironmental influences. 

im not sure where i saw this but there a series ...or movie?....it might have been a stargate episode im not sure where theres an alien invasion but the aliens are not hostile at all they cure diseases and expand human life expectancy to about 200 years. heres the catch they live like thousands of years and have been steriliring everyone from the first treatment on. effectivly playing the long game.

anway back to my point im highly concerned about this since animal trials (which that is what this feels like to me) are almost just one step in order to finalizing some new drug for human use. so if this works i bet theres enough governments and people lining up already to finaly kill of all of the humas they dont like and pretty soon ..... man i just dont like this ...at all

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

We are Daleks. We just know "exterminate, exterminate, exterminate"

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Pretty sure this is how we get zombies

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

8 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

well you know animal testing is always the first step...

so when you guys say "kill them all" im willing to agree but by them id almost suggest we talk about the scientists behind this and destroy their research too.

today its mosquitos tommorrow its people. and before anyone notices were in the third reich again. the worst thing is you wont even notice. people will just be less furtile and then well probably blame it on plastics or some form of evironmental influences. 

im not sure where i saw this but there a series ...or movie?....it might have been a stargate episode im not sure where theres an alien invasion but the aliens are not hostile at all they cure diseases and expand human life expectancy to about 200 years. heres the catch they live like thousands of years and have been steriliring everyone from the first treatment on. effectivly playing the long game.

anway back to my point im highly concerned about this since animal trials (which that is what this feels like to me) are almost just one step in order to finalizing some new drug for human use. so if this works i bet theres enough governments and people lining up already to finaly kill of all of the humas they dont like and pretty soon ..... man i just dont like this ...at all

Except a "killer" gene drive would hit anyone who could share the gene. You can't target it. Unless you made people aware of it, it would hit the entire human population.

3 hours ago, SolarNova said:

"The arrogance of man is thinking they have control of nature, and not the other way around"

There's nothing natural about a computer, and yet, here you are

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

In all honesty they should leave this be. It’s just not a good idea, forget morality, it’s not logical.

Humanity culls, relocates, and destroys species because its the 'best' thing to do, or because it 'beneficial', It euthanizes animals in acts of 'compassion', yet never turns that same judgement on itself.

The one species on this planet in dire need of a culling is humanity, yet humanity is so arrogant in its belief that it above all else should be cherished, with each life being fought to keep alive, it will never do what is most necessary to bring balance back to Earths ecosystems.

Disease is one of nature’s immune systems, by bypassing it, protecting oneself from it, Humanity acts as an unstoppable virus slowly killing its host. Nothing good comes of these actions, todays situation, humanities future prospects in regards to population and resources, is proof of this.

I truly hope I live long enough to see the entirety humanity humbled, but alas I doubt I will.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

In all honesty they should leave this be. It’s just not a good idea, forget morality, it’s not logical.

Humanity culls, relocates, and destroys species because its the 'best' thing to do, or because it 'beneficial', It euthanizes animals in acts of 'compassion', yet never turns that same judgement on itself.

The one species on this planet in dire need of a culling is humanity, yet humanity is so arrogant in its belief that it above all else should be cherished, with each life being fought to keep alive, it will never do what is most necessary to bring balance back to Earths ecosystems.

Disease is one of nature’s immune systems, by bypassing it, protecting oneself from it, Humanity acts as an unstoppable virus slowly killing its host. Nothing good comes of these actions, todays situation, humanities future prospects in regards to population and resources, is proof of this.

I truly hope I live long enough to see the entirety humanity humbled, but alas I doubt I will.

Well people like you should live on africa or on another era, then you would will cry tears of joy hearing this news, I love how people critisizes humankind because they mess with the enviroment , well yes we fuck things but its needed, or we wouldnt progress... or its fine to live till 31 and die to a mosquito?

Its easy to critisize being a average 1st world person, try to be a 3rd one or just 400 years back....

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

7 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

planet will leave on, nature will recover, man will self destruct. 

1 minute ago, Peskanova said:

Well people like you should live on africa or on another era, then you would will cry tears of joy hearing this news, I love how people critisizes humankind because they mess with the enviroment , well yes we fuck things but its needed, or we wouldnt progress... or its fine to live till 31 and die to a mosquito?

do you really needed to? really. Destroy the planet and all in it is progress?

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

As much as I despise mosquitoes, they are a crucial part of many ecosystems

I'd love to read more on this.  Got a link?

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

2 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

Its easy to critisize being a average 1st world person, try to be a 3rd one or just 400 years back....

If been places wherei have t had to worry about dengue or malaria.... Not fun. But iI don't know what the global impacts of this would be. What other species rely on them for food? What will come up in their place?

I've been more concerned of big flies and huge wasps.

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

If been places wherei have t had to worry about dengue or malaria.... Not fun. But iI don't know what the global impacts of this would be. What other species rely on them for food? What will come up in their place?

I've been more concerned of big flies and huge wasps.

Agreed. If anything should be irradiated, it's the giant Asian hornet. The fact that it only takes a few of them to decimate a hive of honey bees is detrimental to the planet.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I would say this is a step in the right direction but not what we actually need. The issue is not the mosquitos themselves but rather what they carry. 

If a way is developed to control this self destruct so that it only fires for infected mosquitos the impact on the rest of the ecosystem could be minimised.