Why crack a game or software?

WE WILL NOT DISCUSS HOW TO OR WHERE TO GET CRACKED SOFTWARE

Now that rude caps lock is out of the way.... why crack software? If you pay for a program, why spend months or years trying to disable copy protection, and put it out for free on the internet? As far as I know, there’s no donate button on piracy websites. 

If you know anyone that has cracked software to put it out for free on the internet, why do they do it? I understand that install limits suck but I don’t get why you’d want to limit sales of a company by giving out the software for free. 

Because Ubisoft is shite and DRM is the work of the devil.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

They do profit off it theres tons of advertisements and stuff on the top 2 sites that crack and they get 10000s of clicks a day and then they put it through a site like ad fly so there def making a good amount of money 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

It's fun to them probably? I mean, 50% of things I did in my life werent productive at all, I just do it because I like to

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

To prove you can to it?

"They said it was uncrackable, but I managed to do it! I'm incredible, worship me!"

Also because some people just want to help others.

Some people would like their softwares to work without a disc, without having to be always online, without requiring steam, not have the performance of said game to be trashed due to an invasive DRM, etc... If steam goes belly flop tomorrow, who would it affect? Not those who cracked their games that's for sure.

It's to remove the BS "protection" that publishers put on their games, which has shown to not really increase sales. If you make a good game, it will sell regardless of DRM (See Witcher 3).

But really, in the past it was mostly to get rid of the "insert disc to play" bullcrap, which I was totally on board for and quite often partook in it with my legitimate games.

These days, in this era of always online "Games as a Service", cracks for games will be a necessity, for when publishers decide to pull the plug on our games, making them unplayable due to the servers being offline or for people who live in areas where the connection to said server is iffy at best.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

They do profit off it theres tons of advertisements and stuff on the top 2 sites that crack and they get 10000s of clicks a day and then they put it through a site like ad fly so there def making a good amount of money 

I got 3 ads by going to a website and searching a product. Without downloading it seems there’s a lot to be made. 

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

It's fun to them probably? I mean, 50% of things I did in my life werent productive at all, I just do it because I like to

I thought maybe but I don’t know. 

6 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

Because they can. In a world full of money grabbing who wouldn't want free things eh? 

Well someone said there’s ads so I suppose there’s more motive than “people I don’t know would like this.” 

8 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

If you disable DRM for assassins creed, why put it out for free I was asking. 

2 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

A few will also provide links to donate crypto currency to the hosting website(s) or people who cracked the software. I have no idea how much, or if any, money they would make from this however. I don't think the people who are downloading cracked copies of games or software are the kind to pay for the services of those who cracked them.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On top of what has been mentioned before, it's kind of the communist way of thinking. "You give some, you get some"

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Denuvo and Ubisoft's cancer level of DRM deserves it, it's morally right in my eyes to pirate their shite. It's been proved** that DRM does effect the game performance.

**IN A VERY MINOR WAY BUT POINT STANDS**

1 hour ago, fpo said:

If you pay for a program, why spend months or years trying to disable copy protection, and put it out for free on the internet? As far as I know, there’s no donate button on piracy websites. 

Some of pirated copies of paid programs like cracked Windows 10 or cracked Adobe Creative Cloud may contain malware that disables security features to steal financial and personal information or insert cryptominers and jack up your CPU. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Fun 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

9 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

Fun 

That probably relates more to the people who actually download and use the stuff^^

1 hour ago, fpo said:

If you disable DRM for assassins creed, why put it out for free I was asking. 

With nearly all other games, that isn't an option. By removing the DRM (on some games) you're able to play at any time anywhere rather than being forced to have internet connection or a certain region.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Ubisoft has gotten better, and is leagues ahead of Activision or EA. Just look at what they are doing for Rainbow Six Siege!

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5

I believe some crackers are activists.

I never pay for a game before trying it, and I saw multiple times on pirate torrents the message "if you like the gane, buy it. Support the developers". 

I agree 100%, if I like it I will buy it, but often I wait for price drops because at launch a game costs 30% of what I make in a month.

And there is always something to gain, it may not be that obvious like charging for the service, but you can be sure there is money being made.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

3 hours ago, fpo said:

WE WILL NOT DISCUSS HOW TO OR WHERE TO GET CRACKED SOFTWARE

Now that rude caps lock is out of the way.... why crack software? If you pay for a program, why spend months or years trying to disable copy protection, and put it out for free on the internet? As far as I know, there’s no donate button on piracy websites. 

If you know anyone that has cracked software to put it out for free on the internet, why do they do it? I understand that install limits suck but I don’t get why you’d want to limit sales of a company by giving out the software for free. 

DRM is shit. uPlay sucks. Origin works only part of the time. Also, some of the DRM used in games punishes gamer's.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, ModuleLFS said:

Because they can. In a world full of money grabbing who wouldn't want free things eh? 

STDs are free. Nobody wants those.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

DRM needs to die. It is not effective and just violates a user’s sense of ownership. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

25 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

DRM is shit. uPlay sucks. Origin works only part of the time. Also, some of the DRM used in games punishes gamer's.  

Uplay has been pretty good for me. Sometimes there’s long que times and their social features are a bit limited. I mostly play siege with it. 

4 hours ago, fpo said:

Depending on the DRM, you could be screwed out of playing your game years down the road. Examples:

• A lot of old DOS games required the manual or some other physical thing that the game asks you to look at a very specific portion when it runs its DRM scheme. Sure, maybe these manuals or whatnot can be found online, but if the game is obscure this becomes more of a problem.
  • CD based games that require the CD can be finnicky when run off an image. And some DRM might base it off of some physical characteristic of the CD, such as the FADE DRM used in Bohemia Interactive Software's older titles.
  • DRM that is considered, for all intents and purposes, malware because of what it does to your system. StarForce is infamous for this.
  • Any game with an online DRM and the online servers are dead. Or the software used to activate it. I believe anything that used Games for Windows Live is now screwed because the service shut down. So that copy of Gears of War for PC I have is useless.

To screw the company out of sales, why else? Pirates are going to pirate.

However the crackers themselves do it for free because nobody would use their cracks otherwise. They can't ask for donations via PayPal or whatnot because said services would consider this against terms of use simply because they don't agree with the services being offered. To them as well, it's a hobby, not a job. And as a more believable approach: it's to install malware on your computer. The amount of cracks that have some sort of trojan in them vastly outnumber the ones that are clean in my time of downloading them.

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

uPlay is a decent bit better than Origin. I'm still confused why people are hating on Ubisoft, as they are still trying (taking time to make games, extending support for example).

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5

3 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Denuvo and Ubisoft's cancer level of DRM deserves it, it's morally right in my eyes to pirate their shite

I disagree.

Piracy, however "morally right" the context is, is still a crime and you can still get in a lot of trouble for doing it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!