Why crack a game or software?

7 minutes ago, SpencerC said:

uPlay is a decent bit better than Origin. I'm still confused why people are hating on Ubisoft, as they are still trying (taking time to make games, extending support for example).

The biggest issue I have with uPlay is unlike EA, Ubisoft will gladly sell all of its games on every software distribution platform, and still require uPlay. EA games on Steam don't require Origin and EA doesn't sell any Origin required games on Steam or elsewhere. If you're going to make your own DRM platform, then don't have the gall to sell games that require it on other platforms. Adding DRM on top of DRM is dumb.

And I'm still questioning that when I launch uPlay (which happens about once a week), why does it need admin rights? The only thing I could look up is it needs them to install updates. But I seriously can't believe uPlay has that many updates (then again every time I launch TeamSpeak which is at the same frequency, there's yet another update)

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I disagree.

Piracy, however "morally right" the context is, is still a crime and you can still get in a lot of trouble for doing it.

Almost impossible to get in trouble for it when your local police give literally zero fucks about the problem. There's bigger problems in the world than piracy. 

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

Almost impossible to get in trouble for it when your local police give literally zero fucks about the problem. There's bigger problems in the world than piracy. 

That may vary by area. That was also just my opinion.

Of course there are bigger problems in the world, but that doesn't make piracy any less legal or right. Almost like drugs, there are bigger problems than drugs on the streets but that doesn't make buying, possessing, or doing illegal substances any more right because there's a bigger problem going on.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

A lot of these people that crack the games don't actually buy them. They are just sent the .ISO for them.

Next look at the amount of games out there that cost 60+ bucks and the game turns out to be a major disappointment. When these games are cracked, it allows someone to pick it up for free with basically no multiplayer component and most of the time limited features... but that means they can try the game and then buy it if they feel it is good enough to support.

I think that while some people just play what they can for free and that hurts the developers, I also think that pirated copies cause people to buy the game that would not have made the risky investment other wise.

I would be curious as to the results of pirating on companies. The ratio of money lost vs the money gained by taking the risk out of the purchase. Truthfully, I feel like pirating hurts the companies that put one subpar games more than those with excellent games that also have a multi-player component.

19 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The biggest issue I have with uPlay is unlike EA, Ubisoft will gladly sell all of its games on every software distribution platform, and still require uPlay. EA games on Steam don't require Origin and EA doesn't sell any Origin required games on Steam or elsewhere. If you're going to make your own DRM platform, then don't have the gall to sell games that require it on other platforms. Adding DRM on top of DRM is dumb.

And I'm still questioning that when I launch uPlay (which happens about once a week), why does it need admin rights? The only thing I could look up is it needs them to install updates. But I seriously can't believe uPlay has that many updates (then again every time I launch TeamSpeak which is at the same frequency, there's yet another update)

It also needs admin rights, because it cannot access or read certain memory spaces without it. This means there are plenty of hacks out there that can take advantage of this to run in an almost invisible state.

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

It also needs admin rights, because it cannot access or read certain memory spaces without it. This means there are plenty of hacks out there that can take advantage of this to run in an almost invisible state.

Which just further proves uPlay is utter garbage. There is absolutely no reason for uPlay to run with admin rights unless it was updating (and only because it lives in a protected directory).

Still reeling in the fact it was classified as a rootkit one time.

5 hours ago, SpencerC said:

uPlay is a decent bit better than Origin. I'm still confused why people are hating on Ubisoft, as they are still trying (taking time to make games, extending support for example).

Because when I buy a game in steam I shouldn't have to use Uplay. Plus they do always online DRM.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I've done loads of reverse engineering stuff  over the years. Either because the DRM was total shite, the online features were too restrictive, or, I just got bored. So I played around with the guts of the new toy I bought from Steam.

A huge reason, and my main one, is education. Proper reverse-engineering is a dying skill, and cracking is a fantastic tool for education. One of the best tools out there for RE, is a "hacker simulator" called Micro-Corruption. Being able to say, "I cracked game X that I purchased to practice", looks really good.

Why yes gavner I am int-oo these 'ere comuter machines I am! Too British?

its a pissing contest - who can piss the furthest

braggin' rights

ego

plus most of the cracks are probably uber easy

I remember sim city had a crack, press shift F U N D S

11 hours ago, fpo said:

WE WILL NOT DISCUSS HOW TO OR WHERE TO GET CRACKED SOFTWARE

Now that rude caps lock is out of the way.... why crack software? If you pay for a program, why spend months or years trying to disable copy protection, and put it out for free on the internet? As far as I know, there’s no donate button on piracy websites. 

If you know anyone that has cracked software to put it out for free on the internet, why do they do it? I understand that install limits suck but I don’t get why you’d want to limit sales of a company by giving out the software for free. 

just saying people do this so people can try a game 

oof me daddy

One common applications would be Adobe products, mainly so I can experiment it a bit once a while. I do however, plan on buying Adobe products whenever I get the money and time to do so. Time as in, if a project or something that actually worth investing time in... I've tried many free video editing software and so on, but none seems to be working as well :/

My opinion is that if you think a company does to much shit that you dont want to pay for the product. Then just don't get it. Get another product from a competitor or live without it.

Like if it's a game then just get another game you want instead. If it's for example Photoshop, there are loads of other options you can choose from that is cheaper or free. Might different to use or not quite as many features, but it's your decision to not support a company so then you don't deserve the extra either.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 2/28/2018 at 3:26 AM, fpo said:

Now that rude caps lock is out of the way.... why crack software? If you pay for a program, why spend months or years trying to disable copy protection, and put it out for free on the internet? As far as I know, there’s no donate button on piracy websites. 

If you know anyone that has cracked software to put it out for free on the internet, why do they do it? I understand that install limits suck but I don’t get why you’d want to limit sales of a company by giving out the software for free. 

My more recent example is Fable: The Lost Chapters.

My tablet PC lacks a CD drive, which the game requires a disc to run due to the DRM, and the USB port doesn't supply enough power by itself to run an external drive (it was a mess even getting the game to install). The USB port was needed anyway for the mouse. So a no CD crack was not just a nice thing to have, but a necessity to run the game on this PC.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 28/02/2018 at 11:26 AM, fpo said:

Barring the obvious white hats trying to do it deliberately so the companies can improve their algorithm, there is a big market for cracked software. If you want to get into editing videos for example the basically go to program for most is Adobe Premiere Pro which is HELL EXPENSIVE, cracked programs give you the tools to do what you need to do without having to sell a limb

Then i'd like to think once people have enough revenue coming in they would then legit buy said software however human nature isn't always like that

On 2/28/2018 at 11:39 AM, Vernw3 said:

They do profit off it theres tons of advertisements and stuff on the top 2 sites that crack and they get 10000s of clicks a day and then they put it through a site like ad fly so there def making a good amount of money 

this is not true. Hackers don't have sites. There can be repackers that have them, but they don't crack anything. There can be idiots with scams or just people who want to profit out of it, but they aren't related to hackers. It would be easy for them to sell the hack but no one does it, they would get killed by the community, mostly there is a sense that hacking and sharing is not bad, but profiting out of it is.

Those that profit are the guys with the high profile private trackers that get rich out of "donations" and their work.

People do it for fun, to know they can do it, to learn about coding, to know how it works, to share with people that cannot afford them, because they hate DRM, and some because they want recognition on the internet. And sometimes because of stupid limitations, i can remember a game that did not started if you only had a dual core CPU.

The same principle apply to those that share trough torrents, why don't everybody just download and run. These is not a hacker thing is a sharing community thing. People not only don't make money out of it as they lose lots of money in seeboxes and stuff, as do hackers with their time.

23 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I disagree.

Piracy, however "morally right" the context is, is still a crime and you can still get in a lot of trouble for doing it.

Depends on the country, really. Me and my dad have been pirating for as long as we remember without using a VPN or anything.

On 2/28/2018 at 5:26 AM, fpo said:

There used to be a donate button on TPB if I remember correctly. But I wouldn't actually know that because I've never been there.

I think half of the reason some people do it is simply for fun or practice.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

5 hours ago, Mihle said:

My opinion is that if you think a company does to much shit that you dont want to pay for the product. Then just don't get it. Get another product from a competitor or live without it.

Yeah, I don't get why people just stop consuming the product if they dislike the company so much.

I recall Microsoft at one point or another stated they don't actually care if a person pirates Windows. It's the fact that they rely on them that matters.

Some people do it for fun,  some genuinely believe software should just be freely available, some don't want to pay again when they've installed their legally purchased software on 5 machines.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 2/28/2018 at 10:10 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I disagree.

Morality is not define by any legal code. Do you consider civil disobedience from civil rights activists like Martin Luther king Jr. immoral? They had been breaking Jim crow laws as a form of protest. 

9 hours ago, Sauron said:

Some people do it for fun,  some genuinely believe software should just be freely available, some don't want to pay again when they've installed their legally purchased software on 5 machines.

I had been ripping DRM off all amazon kindle books I own and store them as pdf on my computer because my Linux machine has no native kindle client. Sure, I could just WINE the windows client but it is ugly as hell and I have a much better pdf reader. Why should they DRM my purchases and restrict how I consume my content?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

11 minutes ago, wasab said:

I had been ripping DRM off all amazon kindle books I own and store them as pdf on my computer because my Linux machine has no native kindle client. Sure, I could just WINE the windows client but it is ugly as hell and I have a much better pdf reader. Why should they DRM my purchases and restrict how I consume my content?

I agree, besides it's not like that DRM is preventing you from doing anything so why have it in the first place? Unfortunately copyright lobbyists don't seem to care.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

They still make money via ads and stuff or some company’s pay people to crack games then the company distributes them online and gets money via ads (not TPB another site I know does this)

Because DRM treats legit buyers like scum and so they deserve the same level of "respect". Nice companies and devs always get my support easy.

From my understanding a lot of time the cracking groups do it "for sport". It's about who can disable what DRM fastest and reverse engineering the games to the point where you don't need authentication. If you fiddle around the correct sub reddits you will be quick to learn that this is why the crackers do it.
I do also believe that a lot of it has to do with the Pirate Party "pay what you want" type of ideology. I was talking to one of the representatives from my countries PP and he explained it to me something along the lines of; games these days don't have demos so I can't really be sure if I'll buy the game or not. If I pirate the game and end up not liking it I won't buy the game, if I like the game I'll buy it especially if it has multiplayer capabilities.

In a way I'll completely agree cause putting a price tag onto something that's a bad product is in a way duchey.

Laptop - Omen 15

i5-7300HQ, GTX 1060 maxQ 6gb, 120hz Panel, 16GB DDR4 Ram @2400hz

Blue Box
i5 - 3350p, R9 Nano Fury 4GB HBM, 8gb DDR3 Ram @1600hz