[UPDATE 2] EA Listened To Your Half Million Downvotes, Price Of Heroes Dropped 75% In Star Wars Battlefront 2

iamdarkyoshi

Time for more anger over microtransactions!

14battlefront.jpg.e870163319a278d0c4d4cb919055e7ab.jpg

When reddit user MBMMaverick posted this:

Seriously? I paid 80$ to have Vader locked?

This is a joke. I'll be contacting EA support for a refund... I can't even playing fucking Darth Vader?!?!? Disgusting. This age of "micro-transactions" has gone WAY too far. Leave it to EA though to stretch the boundaries.

(Source)

It sparked quite a frenzy of comments, including one from EA. It said:

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.
As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.
We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.
Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.

(Source)

At the time of posting this, their post is at negative 487,000 points, setting a new record for most downvotes on a single post (Source)

EA took this "Subtle advice" and dropped the price of the top heroes by 75%

Making games great comes from regular tuning. As one example, today we’re making a substantial change based on what we’ve seen during the Play First trial. There’s been a lot of discussion around the amount of in-game credits (and time) it takes to unlock some of our heroes, especially Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader. Unlocking a hero is a great accomplishment in the game, something we want players to have fun earning. We used data from the beta to help set those levels, but it’s clear that more changes were needed. 

So, we’re reducing the amount of credits needed to unlock the top heroes by 75%. Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader will now be available for 15,000 credits; Emperor Palpatine, Chewbacca, and Leia Organa for 10,000 credits; and Iden at 5,000 credits. Based on what we’ve seen in the trial, this amount will make earning these heroes an achievement, but one that will be accessible for all players.

(Source)

Its nice to see that EA is listening, but I have a better idea... Bring games back to when items were ONLY earned, not purchased.

[UPDATE 2] EA Has REMOVED The Refund Button From Their Customer Portal? 

This reddit post was actually false.

The problem is, the bad publicity for EA doesn't seem like it's going to stop just yet. According to numerous Reddit and Twitter threads, EA has removed the refund button from their online portal, seemingly trying to dissuade customers from refunding Battlefront II before launch. The problem is, this story doing the rounds is a bit misleading. EA hasn't suddenly removed a button that would have previously allowed a refund on a pre-ordered game. The refund button never existed for pre-ordered games in the first place. Seriously, there are forum posts going back years from people not being able to get refunds on their pre-ordered games, and being told to go through customer service, instead.

(Source)

Looks like a bit of confusion there on the original reddit thread. The refund button is NOT there for pre-release games, just normal releases.

It still seems that you'll need to wait for about an hour in a support chat to get a refund though.

Edited by iamdarkyoshi
Added updated details²

They are 75% of the way to where they should be :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Taking advice from the SWBF Subreddit to say this - 

We still should NOT praise EA for this decision. If there was not such an explosive outrage, nothing would have changed. We should punish game companies for their anti-consumer practices, and if they change (like they did here), that's NO reason to give them praise.

I don't like conspiracy theories, but this change came so quick that I really think it was set up this way. Make the famous heroes mostly impossible to get (even with real money), then change them to be cheap enough to reasonably unlockable through gameplay, and watch the comments of praise and extra buys roll in. I hope it doesn't work. Face in the door marketing at its finest.

I used to be quite active here.

Battlefront fans when they saw the answer from EA

Adria-3.gif.2a664eadd8817345e592f946f0c5a345.gif

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

I feel the game wont be as popular among the core gamers. They feel burnt and wont purchase the game. Microtransactions has gotten such a bad rap recently it will put people off. I have not brought a game from EA in years and wont be buying any games from them anytime soon. 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

If a feature doesn't improve a game there is no reason to defend it. It's the same with phones. You don't owe companies anything. You are the customer and should be looking out for you, not their bottom line.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I would really like to see a breakdown of the amount of money development studios spent and earned over the last 20 years compared to the rate of inflation. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

12 minutes ago, Derangel said:

I'm just going to leave this here:

I'm not going to defend EA here because what they did and are doing deserves to be punished by their customers, but to be fair if you take this from the post:

The actual reason why they're going to reduce it is because right now the complaints are that progression takes "too" long - specifically about 40 hours to unlock heroes. They will change it, negligibly, so that the story becomes "We fixed the 40 hour hero requirement!" Of course, the change will make it so that still takes about 37 hours (I'm obviously just making up a number here, but the point is that it's still an absurd requirement)

I'm reading that they reduced this credit requirement by 75% - regardless of the fact if it should have been that way from the beginning or not, it feels like a significant change - so not from 40 to 37 (which he even admitted was made up) but from 40 to 10.

Like I said, still should've been like that from the beginning (or even lower, dunno, don't play that game because the eclectic hero selection bugs me as SW fan).

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

In my opinion it doesn't matter what they cost, just the fact that paying microtransactions can give you a real ingame advantage completely breaks it for me. Just look at the old battlefront 2 and compare it to this - they added almost nothing of value and put plenty behind bullshit paywalls and dice rolls. This is completely unacceptable when they already demand 60$ for access to the game. The only way to fix this is to completely remove the microtransaction system, but we all know it's never going to happen.

On 11/14/2017 at 1:06 AM, Bensemus said:

If a feature doesn't improve a game there is no reason to defend it. It's the same with phones. You don't owe companies anything. You are the customer and should be looking out for you, not their bottom line.

The one exception could be companies that go out of their way to pay their workers fairly even if it means increasing the cost of the final product. But of course it doesn't apply here.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I don't know why people are supporting pay-to-pay games at all.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

There is absolutely no reason to praise EA here, it is still unacceptable. Also @iamdarkyoshi here you have the direct link.

EDIT: Seems like an AMA is inbound.

In fact, this Wednesday we’d like you to join us for a Reddit AMA with some of the key leads on our team. Stay tuned to our social channels for more info on the AMA, and our blog for continual updates on what we’re seeing, hearing and adjusting in the game.

Edited by Bouzoo

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

The one exception could be companies that go out of their way to pay their workers fairly even if it means increasing the cost of the final product. But of course it doesn't apply here.

Ya the selling price should be set so the product is profitable enough to support the people that made it. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Just now, Bouzoo said:

There is absolutely no reason to praise EA here, it is still unacceptable. Also @iamdarkyoshi here you have the direct link.

I agree. I did link the direct link in the second quote though :)

4 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

That's pretty much how my negotiations on craigslist work. I lowball the crap out of them (in person of course) and then we end up agreeing on a really low price because I started so low. 

I like to do the good o' "Oh I only have "X amount of money" on me". GTX 970 $120? "Sorry man I only have $100, will that do?"

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I agree. I did link the direct link in the second quote though :)

It was broken for me, it's all working now.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

AAA-gaming in 2017

Where customers are walking bags of cash.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

17 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

People won't stop crying until their unreasonable demands are met... to get post launch support and content all unlocked upfront for free. 

Would you define reasonable demands? Also, post-launch support should always be a given, rather than a privilege. A game often cited is Overwatch, with a launch price of $40 and zero DLC. There's loot crates, but they're strictly cosmetic and never give a gameplay advantage. All new heroes and maps are free for everybody. This game is different from OW, so some content will be locked for you to grind for, but things like maps should be free. CS:GO does the same as OW and it's $15.

17 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I don't get why this game is such a special snowflake getting so much negativity when other franchises do worse thing and do fuckall for customer feedback.

The good 'ol "you shouldn't complain, there are worse things happening!" that I love so much. Are you saying we should be defending EA for extremely anti-consumer practices (see: you aren't even guaranteed credits from crates, meaning even buying heroes with USD would be hard) because other companies are worse? It's not Call of Duty or Halo 5, so we cannot complain of their wrongdoings! EA are saints for not fucking us over like 343 or Activision I guess.

I used to be quite active here.

45 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

Ya the selling price should be set so the product is profitable enough to support the people that made it. 

It already is. Publishers are pulling in record revenue while spending less per year on development then they have in the past decade.

15 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

People won't stop crying until their unreasonable demands are met... to get post launch support and content all unlocked upfront for free. 

I don't get why this game is such a special snowflake getting so much negativity when other franchises do worse thing and do fuckall for customer feedback. 

Jesus fucking Christ. You are intentionally misrepresenting the argument. Why? What do you get out of sucking EA's cock? What reason is there to defend anti-consumer practices like this? Do you like being fucked by big publishers? Do you enjoy paying more for less content? Do you enjoy games becoming worse? Do you enjoy these companies destroying good games and studios by forcing games as a service on everything? What is it? What possible reason can you have for defending this bullshit?