iPhone X Face ID got fooled by brothers who ARE NOT TWINS

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/04/face-id-brothers-video/

In the video, the sibling who set up Face ID on his iPhone X was able to unlock the device with his face as expected. Next, he handed the iPhone to his brother. Face ID didn't authenticate his brother's face upon first attempt, but once he put on a pair of black rim glasses, his face was able to unlock the iPhone X. 

So basically two brothers who are NOT TWINS were able to fool the iphone x face id system and unlock the device , Apple claimed that Face ID is safer than touch ID and the chance of a random person being able to unlock your phone is 1 in 1,000,000 but according to the source and the video posted on reddit (go to the source to watch the video) all was needed to fool the iphone was a pair of "black rim glasses"  And the other brother was able to unlock it more than once

We've already seen that Face ID can be fooled by identical twins, and now a video shared on Reddit appears to confirm that Face ID can sometimes fail to distinguish between siblings who aren't twins but have similar appearances. 

Face ID failing to distinguish identical twins was somehow expected but failing to distinguish normal siblings might make some people worried especially those who use their phones to pay with apple pay.

Apple has been very transparent that Face ID can be less reliable in these situations, so the video doesn't come across as a PR disaster in the making for the company. But, it does visualize that Face ID isn't 100 percent failproof. 

From apple website:       https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208108

The probability that a random person in the population could look at your iPhone X and unlock it using Face ID is approximately 1 in 1,000,000 (versus 1 in 50,000 for Touch ID). As an additional protection, Face ID allows only five unsuccessful match attempts before a passcode is required. The statistical probability is different for twins and siblings that look like you and among children under the age of 13, because their distinct facial features may not have fully developed. If you're concerned about this, we recommend using a passcode to authenticate.

So Apple itself says that Face ID might fail for twins and siblings that look like you and recommend using a passcode . I don't know but the rumors of "Apple reducing the required quality of face id sensor" might be true 

I feel that this technology wasn't ready "enough" but apple usually waits for new tech to get mature and then , put them in their product . They might've expected to be able to put the finger print sensor under the display but we don't know

I'm a Android guy myself but if i were using iphone x and apple pay , i would definitely used a passcode for payments

For those who might think that they have added 2 faces to make face id look bad , i should say that you can't do that. you can only set 1 face for it 

Why can't Apple just stick with something that fucking works?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, terrytek said:

Why can't Apple just stick with something that fucking works?

That requires having something that fucking works in the first place.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

why is everyone going reeeeeeeee

at this time, face recognition is not that good compared to what we want it to be at.. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

And this is why the iPhone X should have Touch ID (in addition to Face ID)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

rip xD

So much for that.  I already explained how it's theoretically way weaker than passwords assuming people pick good ones, but it was raised that it could potentially be better than passwords practically speaking since many choose passwords badly.  While this holds no water since passwords are required as a fallback regardless, this is just another blow to the security position.  Another counter-argument I recall was that passwords are easy to try lots of while getting a new face is highly impractical, so while the number of combos for a password is far higher, so is the ability to attack it.  Well, in light of this new story, looks like finding a face to fool it might not be so hard after all!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

So if you have a sibling, just use a normal password like everyone did a few years ago?

Is that that difficult?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So two brothers who have a similar facial structure were not able to fool FaceID, only AFTER one of the brothers put on glasses were they able to fool it........

If its not obvious to the thread by now, the glasses eliminated enough projected dots to match that the phone allowed him to unlock it because his brother looks like him......

People can look identical without being twins....(And Apple said this already)

Also if it your sibling is that big of an issue use a damn passcode. 

Move along, move along. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

still better than a fingerprint. With face ID you need a brother to fool it, an fps can be fooled with a fake thumb 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Why can't Apple just stick with something that works?

For the record it does work and is working as described. This includes the ability for siblings to be able to get into your phone if they look like you.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

So if you have a sibling, just use a normal password like everyone did a few years ago?

Is that that difficult?

Why shouldn't you have a fingerprint sensor at the back and use it instead if you think that face id is not safe for you as @PCGuy_5960 said above

On a note 8 or s8 , you can use iris or if you don't like it , you can stick to finger print sensor 

Just now, Enderman said:

Is that that difficult?

It would seem so.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I already explained how it's theoretically way weaker than passwords assuming people pick good ones

But there's another issue, people.

For more, Agent K:

JJREZ.jpg.jpg.0ffd39cc52849785241c54a0856c72dd.jpg

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Red Hardware said:

Why shouldn't you have a fingerprint sensor at the back and use it instead if you think that face id is not safe for you as @PCGuy_5960 said above

On a note 8 or s8 , you can use iris or if you don't like it , you can stick to finger print sensor 

Idk, ask apple engineers.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

Why shouldn't you have a fingerprint sensor at the back and use it instead if you think that face id is not safe for you

I mean if you want to build a phone that does go ahead. Apple is going with FaceID and the complaints of the minority are irrelevant. 

4 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

And this is the problem with Samsung. There is no direction for the phone to go towards that is obvious. Samsung is still very much so a company that throws enough sh*t at the wall so some of it sticks. 

Sure you have options but at the cost of all of those options just being mediocre. Jack of all trades; master of none. 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

So two brothers who have a similar facial structure were not able to fool FaceID, only AFTER one of the brothers put on glasses were they able to fool it........

If its not obvious to the thread by now, the glasses eliminated enough projected dots to match that the phone allowed him to unlock. 

People can look identical without being twins....(And Apple said this already)

Also if it your sibling is that big of an issue use a damn passcode. 

Move along, move along. 

Sibling being able to open the phone is not the issue , the issue is that another guy with a glass and similar face can use ur phone and pay with it if you have apple pay or see your credit card info if you have them saved there
and there are many similar faces out there that wearing a glass that many do might put you in a risk 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Sure you have options but at the cost of all of those options just being mediocre. Jack of all trades; master of none. 

To be fair it looks like Apple hasn't exactly mastered facial recognition

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 minutes ago, themctipers said:

why is everyone going

Apple pretended like their software was the best thing ever, and thus people have been mislead and became angry

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

"We've met with Hollywood professional mask makers to replicate the face details & make sure the Face id system can't be fooled "

- Phil Schiller 2017

Details separate people.

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Apple pretended like there software was the best thing ever, and thus people have been mislead and became angry

apple always pretends their software/hardware is the best thing ever. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Red Hardware said:

the issue is that another guy with a glass and similar face can use ur phone

Evidence? Show me one case where two completely unrelated people were able to fool FaceID into thinking it was the owner of the phone. 

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Apple pretended like there software was the best thing ever

Apple software is the best thing ever

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

"We've met with Hollywood professional mask makers to replicate the face details & make sure the Face id system can't be fooled "

- Phil Schiller

This is still the case. 

That statement was for people trying to fool FaceID with prosthetics. 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Jack of all trades; master of none. 

the full version of that quote is

"Jack of all trades; master of none. But oftentimes better than a master of one"

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

This is still the case. 

That statement was for people trying to fool FaceID with prosthetics. 

Turns out you don't need one in this case xD

Details separate people.

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

But oftentimes better than a master of one"

And I would have to say that Apple had only ever used one outside of the passcode fallback. 

iPhone-5: Passcode, iPhone 5s-8: TouchID and Passcode, iPhone X: FaceID and Passcode. 

Where was the outcry then?