iPhone X Face ID got fooled by brothers who ARE NOT TWINS

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

there's a very good possibility we could devise a universal method for poisoning the biometrics on an iPhone X and render them moot.

I'll believe it when I see it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Entirety of what I got from this:

Facial recognition is always going to be a poor form of security. There are only two solutions: Nigh static or completely static samples, requiring constant database updating to remain functional, or "machine learning" that updates the the database automatically based on "close enough" matches that can be fooled without an extreme amount of effort by people that happen to look quite a bit like you. The latter being less uncommon than people realize.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Entirety of what I got from this:

Facial recognition is always going to be a poor form of security. 

Still better than the iris scanner that is fooled by photos. 

Also, your new icon sucks. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, Drak3 said:

"machine learning"

Why the air quotes? Machine learning is a thing that all your favorite tech companies use.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

I'll believe it when I see it. 

That's a problematic attitude with security issues though... With security you should *always* question it, since once you've seen it it's too late.

Worse yet, this is a *hardware* issue, meaning you can't just push a software update and say "-fixed".

Pushing out this kind of nubile security tech with such little 3rd party vetting, and then presenting it to be as secure as they did is *massively* irresponsible.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

possibly confusing it, or trying to mess with it - and so that 1M : 1 number must be for once it's fully developed,

which leads me to wonder what it starts out at.

I want to assume that unless it matches you (and thus unlocks) it doesn't add any new information to the profile. So, I don't think confusing it would be an issue -- unless of course you find someone who looks close enough to you and they get accepted. 

Good question. But, I also don't see a better way of handling it, other than maybe having an option to force a password for the first few weeks -- so it "unlocks" with your face but requires a password until it's learned enough to reach security maturityTM

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Facial recognition is always going to be a poor form of security.

HA

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

Worse yet, this is a *hardware* issue,

You have 0 way of knowing that. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

You have 0 way of knowing that. 

Umm... Except you said yourself earlier that this is a hardware issue, in that they managed to poison enough of the IR projected dots, meaning they are *substantially* lower spacial resolution than Intel Realsense.

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Making your user set up your new tech for 10min is not a good image. 

People can buy an iPhone and be in it in under 5 min. Making that process possibly 15min or even longer is a solid no from Apple leadership. 

We don't say it should take 15 min

if it takes 5 sec to set it up , make it 10 or 15 (if it even has an effect) and i think the machine learning doesn't have to do much with security but more with growing a beard ...

The problem is that someone who look somehow similar can wear glasses to reduce the accuracy and open the phone . But you don't want to accept that because you are an apple fan

Except you said yourself earlier that this is a hardware issue,

Where?

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Still better than the iris scanner that is fooled by photos. 

"Iris" scanners like that on the S8? Fuck all that bullshit. Strong PIN and Passwords for those that want security, and let's all just say fuck off with marketing ploys.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Where?

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

So two brothers who have a similar facial structure were not able to fool FaceID, only AFTER one of the brothers put on glasses were they able to fool it........

If its not obvious to the thread by now, the glasses eliminated enough projected dots to match that the phone allowed him to unlock it because his brother looks like him......

People can look identical without being twins....(And Apple said this already)

Also if it your sibling is that big of an issue use a damn passcode. 

Move along, move along. 

You do know that software is what is analyzing the dot projection right? 

1 minute ago, Red Hardware said:

We don't say it should take 15 min

if it takes 5 sec to set it up , make it 10 or 15 (if it even has an effect) and i think the machine learning doesn't have to do much with security but more with growing a beard ...

The problem is that someone who look somehow similar can wear glasses to reduce the accuracy and open the phone . But you don't want to accept that because you are an apple fan

Machine learning should also improve security since it doesn't really know what you should look like with glasses, so it has to approximate, but as time goes on, it will have more samples to work with and a wider variety of environments (different hair, glasses, makeup, lightning, etc...). So at least in theory, machine learning should also make it more secure. To what extent is still a complete guess. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I want to assume that unless it matches you (and thus unlocks) it doesn't add any new information to the profile. So, I don't think confusing it would be an issue

Yeah that would make sense

-- unless of course you find someone who looks close enough to you and they get accepted. 

Well considering it was fooled by a brother, I think that's a valid concern, especially in the early stage when it's doing more learning than verifying

Good question. But, I also don't see a better way of handling it, other than maybe having an option to force a password for the first few weeks -- so it "unlocks" with your face but requires a password until it's learned enough to reach security maturityTM

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Machine learning should also improve security since it doesn't really know what you should look like with glasses, so it has to approximate, but as time goes on, it will have more samples to work with and a wider variety of environments (different hair, glasses, makeup, lightning, etc...). So at least in theory, machine learning should also make it more secure. To what extent is still a complete guess. 

I still think you could reasonably train it with a little more time spent.  Walk around the house and outside with different lights, put on glasses, take them off, etc.  You could go through a lot of variations in 2 minutes.

21 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, that implies that after 5min there is no more learning that can be done. 

No, not at all.  I like the learning idea, and mentioned it at least a few times, and no where did I suggest it should "lock in" and stop learning at any point.  I just think it should request that you train it as much as reasonably possible before it becomes the primary method of entry.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You do know that software is what is analyzing the dot projection right? 

Yes, a neural network is doing facial recognition on the projection, rather than using structural mathematics on the depthmap like Realsense does.

That's because with the spacial resolution of the projector, structural mathematics isn't a viable option.

But the issue is that a neural network is, by it's very definition, not a mathematically secure method of identification.

3 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

That's because with the spacial resolution of the projector,

I don't know how much resolution you need for structural mathematics but 30,000 dots is more than enough for Apples needs. 

Also why does anyone care about Intel Realsense? They aren't a competitor, nor or they using their tech in any smartphone. 

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Yes you are right . It should make it more secure over time . But i don't know if they are doing that now or they are keeping it for the next iphone or the next software update .

There is one thing about machine learning on a phone , face id data stays on the phone as apple said and the storage and the processing power is limited on a phone. We shouldn't expect it to be really smart as it's not using cloud computing. But it should get a little bit better if apple has the right software for it

I don't know how much resolution you need for structural mathematics but 30,000 dots is more than enough.

"I don't know how much you need, but this is how many you need" :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

"I don't know how much you need, but this is how many you need" :P

edited

edited

Well it may be enough for what they wanted to achieve but by the sounds of it it's a mathematically different model is all, and with that comes some implications.

1 minute ago, Red Hardware said:

We shouldn't expect it to be really smart as it's not using cloud computing.

If they did that you would complain how its not secure. So when they make it local you still complain that its not secure......

I don't know how much resolution you need for structural mathematics but 30,000 dots is more than enough. 

Also why does anyone care about Intel Realsense? They aren't a competitor, nor or they using their tech in any smartphone. 

*Facepalm* how are they not a competitor? They're the facial recognition for Windows Hello, which for the record isn't even fooled by twins, much less siblings...

And no 30000 dots really isn't... That's about 170x170 resolution, which if you have more than a very modest field of view is going to have next to no spacial resolution (resolution at "x" distance).

The resolution it has of your face is a function of the resolution of the projector, the angle of the projection, and the distance your face is.

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

If they did that you would complain how its not secure. So when they make it local you still complain that its not secure......

I don't say that they should've made it cloud based . It's better to store that info in the device. I'm just saying that a phone doesn't have that much storage and power to work with