iPhone X Face ID got fooled by brothers who ARE NOT TWINS

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Being worried about your brother stealing your identity and stealing your phone is just as crazy. 

The problem is not your brother or sister , clearly that's not the problem for most of the people .

The problem is a random guy who looks similar to you . That's the problem. Do you like an stranger to be able to open your phone only because he/she looks similar to you?

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

I could absolutely see my brother grabbing my phone off the table, unlocking it while charging, etc. just to send a text to our parents saying "I'm gay" or rearranging all my icons, or something dumb along those lines.

*passcode intensifies*

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Red Hardware said:

The problem is a random guy who looks similar to you . That's the problem.

NO ITS NOT

You have no president to say that as of right now. Show me one case where two unrelated people can fool FaceID. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

*passcode intensifies*

so, forgoing the convenience of biometric security is the solution to bad biometric security?

rather than.... y'know.... keeping the biometric security that has worked for years

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

NO ITS NOT

How is it not? that's what I can get out of this video, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the post and/or faceID

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

so, forgoing the convenience of biometric security is the solution to bad biometric security?

rather than.... y'know.... keeping the biometric security that has worked for years

I'm not Tim Cook. All I know is that Apples quarterly results are higher than last quarters so clearly they are doing something right and the complaints of this very vocal minority are helping Apples sales if anything. 

It would be good if someone could pull up stats on Touch ID being fooled, since Apple would have us believe that Face ID is massively better but most people here seem to think touch ID was more secure.  Someone has to be wrong xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

but maybe I'm misunderstanding the post

The post was a dudes brother could not fool FaceID but he then put on some glasses and the phone let him in. 

This is well within what Apple warned everyone about in the Keynote but somehow it is being twisted into just anyone who casually looks like you on an off day in the right lighting might be able to fool it which is just BS. 

I'm not Tim Cook. All I know is that Apples quarterly results are higher than last quarters so clearly they are doing something right and the complaints of this very vocal minority are helping Apples sales if anything. 

the iPhone X came out yesterday. nothing related to it's quality of FaceID could've influenced quarterly results.

However, I don't know why you're changing the subject to apple's financial results. Yes, they make good phones, but I thought we were discussing how FaceID fares VS touchID, with you arguing that it's safer/better/overall an improvement, and myself arguing that it's worse.

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

the iPhone X came out yesterday. nothing related to it's quality of FaceID could've influenced quarterly results.

However, I don't know why you're changing the subject to apple's financial results. Yes, they make good phones, but I thought we were discussing how FaceID fares VS touchID, with you arguing that it's safer/better/overall an improvement, and myself arguing that it's worse.

Don't lie.  You know why.  xD

I don't know why you're changing the subject to apple's financial results.

I thought we were discussing how FaceID fares VS touchID

Because the argument has no influence on sales. TouchID could be more secure than FaceID or the other way around but nobody actually cares. They just want their new phone. 

And actually yes it can and it did. Apple reported lower sales for the iPhone 8 because people were saving to buy the iPhone X instead. 

The post was a dudes brother could not fool FaceID but he then put on some glasses and the phone let him in. 

This is well within what Apple warned everyone about in the Keynote but somehow it is being twisted into just anyone who casually looks like you on an off day in the right lighting might be able to fool it which is just BS. 

but it doesn't matter that they were brothers. so yes, if two people that look very similar try to log into eathother's phones, (both wearing glasses, for example) then it will let them in, even if they are strangers. this is exactly the problem that is being addressed. this scenario is going to be extremely rare, so it won't be everyone who casually looks similar, but it can happen.

the fact that apple knew that this might happen, and addressed it in their keynote does not  make the disadvantages go away.

Desktop:

Laptop:

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

NO ITS NOT

You have no president to say that as of right now. Show me one case where two unrelated people can fool FaceID. 

There are similar people out there. Add a glass to reduce the useful "dots" and then they can unlock your phone. 

The problem is that you are an APPLE FAN and you don't want to accept that apple can make mistakes or what they did wasn't the best thing that they could do.

That's the problem here .

but it doesn't matter that they were brothers.

It does matter. Siblings are the people who are going to share the most similar phenotypes which are your external traits. 

For a random person to be able to unlock your phone they are going to need a duplicate face or at least one that is so similar that they share the same facial structure as you. 

I dont have any stats on that, but if that is something that is a major concern for you you might have security needs that might be better served by a private contractor. 

TouchID could be more secure than FaceID or the other way around but nobody actually cares. 

What the fuck?

I'd argue that nearly everyone cares.
people like security -- if the new system is less secure than the old system, then people have a legitimate reason to hate the new system, which is exactly what is happening.

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

nd actually yes it can and it did. Apple reported lower sales for the iPhone 8 because people were saving to buy the iPhone X instead. 

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

nothing related to it's quality of FaceID could've influenced quarterly results.

iPhone X definitely changed quarterly results, but nobody knew how good faceID was until yesterday, so this specific argument (is faceID worse than touchID) doesn't change financials.

not that financials should even have any influence over this at all anyway.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, Red Hardware said:

The problem is that you are an APPLE FAN and you don't want to accept that apple can make mistakes

Apple already said siblings can fool it, and a sibling fooled it. I'm not denying that. 

I'm denying the assumption that casual resemblance will be an issue. 

It does matter. Siblings are the people who are going to share the most similar phenotypes which are your external traits. 

For a random person to be able to unlock your phone they are going to need a duplicate face or at least one that is so similar that they share the same facial structure as you. 

I dont have any stats on that, but if that is something that is a major concern for you you might have security needs that might be better served by a private contractor. 

the fact that they were brothers made it much more likely for them to have similar faces, but my point is that some people do meet strangers who look exactly like them, and the iPhone doesn't check biological relationship.

Plus, we're straying from the original topic. is faceID worse than touchID. doesn't matter the odds of dopplegangers in the wild -- I care about my brother opening my phone, which he can do with faceID, but not with touchID.

Desktop:

Laptop:

9 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

How is it not? that's what I can get out of this video, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the post and/or faceID

" but maybe I'm misunderstanding the post and/or faceID"

neither of those , you are just missing that you are talking with an apple fan and it's nearly impossible to convince most of them that apple products can have problems and what apple does is not always the bestxD

Apple already said siblings can fool it, and a sibling fooled it. I'm not denying that. 

I'm denying the assumption that casual resemblance will be an issue. 

And on that point, I agree.

Casual resemblance is not an issue.

Desktop:

Laptop:

I'd argue that nearly everyone cares.

I'd argue the opposite. If Apple says it works, and all the media says it works (which they are saying) then that is enough for most people. 

Just now, Red Hardware said:

apple products can have problems and what apple does is not always the best

You are part of the problem. 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I'd argue the opposite. If Apple says it works, and all the media says it works (which they are saying) then that is enough for most people. 

False positive chance with strangers? most people don't care.

False positive chance that is really damn high with people who you live with? most people will care.

I don't have a password on my phone to protect from some elite hackers -- I have my password on there mostly to protect from my friends messing with my phone.

Desktop:

Laptop:

17 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You have no president to say that as of right now.

precedent* 

Or did you mean this is fake news? :S 

I didn't think I saw this mentioned, but FaceID is supposed to "learn" your face....so I wonder if it would still fail after a week, month, etc... of "learning".

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.