iPhone X Face ID got fooled by brothers who ARE NOT TWINS

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I didn't think I saw this mentioned, but FaceID is supposed to "learn" your face....so I wonder if it would still fail after a week, month, etc... of "learning".

Really?  That's interesting.  Shouldn't the learning process be done before you start using it though? xD I mean, imagine if passwords worked like that... at first getting a few letters right would be enough but after using it many times it would become more secure :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You know why.

1234053_333566010116847_897797310_n.jpg.60180d9c35641aa8be0fe17fa07d228f.jpg?

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

I'd argue that nearly everyone cares.

I wouldn't. Only those smart enough to care, should they have a reason to care.

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

I don't have a password on my phone to protect from some elite hackers -- I have my password on there mostly to protect from my friends messing with my phone.

I have a password to keep phones with physical home buttons or variations of the 'knock knock' feature from thinking I'm using it in my pockets.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

False positive chance that is really damn high with people who you live with? most people will care.

The only issue is that not only do you have to have a sibling, you also have to have one that is the same gender as you, and then one that has to look like you. 

If that is the case for you then maybe don't use FaceID. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, strat guy said:

how long before people will have to lick a sensor to unlock their phones ?

Capture.PNG

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Shouldn't the learning process be done before you start using it though?

No. You set it up, then over time using machine learning, the phone adds more data to the map of your face over time.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Shouldn't the learning process be done before you start using it though

No, too logical.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Really?  That's interesting.  Shouldn't the learning process be done before you start using it though? xD I mean, imagine if passwords worked like that... at first getting a few letters right would be enough but after using it many times it would become more secure :P

IIRC it take a random percentage of successful attempts and learns from them, so if you grow a beard it can update the facial model as you go, instead of you needing to re-do your faceID every week of growth.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No. You set it up, then over time using machine learning, the phone adds more data to the map of your face over time.

I'm gonna have to stick with what I said... however much data it needs should be trained before you start relying on it to secure your phone.  If that means a 5 minute setup process rather than 10 seconds, so be it, at least you know it's good right from the onset.

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

IIRC it take a random percentage of successful attempts and learns from them, so if you grow a beard it can update the facial model as you go, instead of you needing to re-do your faceID every week of growth.

That's good that it can update since people do change over time (children growing, cutting hair, growing beard, getting injured, etc.) but still, it should make sure it has a "complete" dataset before letting you activate it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'm gonna have to stick with what I said... however much data it needs should be trained before you start relying on it to secure your phone.  If that means a 5 minute setup process rather than 10 seconds, so be it, at least you know it's good right from the onset.

But what if you grow a beard?

5 Minute setup process twice a month as your face changes?

Desktop:

Laptop:

3 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

"the chance of a random person being able to unlock your phone is 1 in 1,000,000"
What they said might be true, because a sibling is not a random person. but that's not good enough.

yes but there are random persons that look similar and wearing a glasses reduces the usable dots that the phone can use to determine that it's you or not so if the other person wears a glass, he/she won't need to be really similar as siblings 

9 minutes ago, strat guy said:

how long before people will have to lick a sensor to unlock their phones ?

That almost resulted in a mouthful of Coke on my screen.  Let me know that's coming next time.   K?  Thanks.

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

No, it can still learn :P  There's a middle ground between not learning at all and taking a quick glance and saying "good enough" and then raining that in over time as you (or someone similar) uses it.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

If that means a 5 minute setup process rather than 10 seconds, so be it

No, that implies that after 5min there is no more learning that can be done. 

Apple even said that it does this because your face changes week to week and even day to day. 

If you set it up all at once and you forgot to shave one day you might not be able to get into your phone. However if you use machine learning it would see that you are slowly growing out your mustache and would build up the map of your face. 

I see the logic in what you said but this is one of those times when logic is overridden by practicality. 

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, too logical.

Feel free to sit in front of your phone for a week as you permute through every combination of clothes, lightning, angles, facial hair, weather, etc... to get something that will still always be weaker than a decent fallback password. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, the idea is that it samples your face in different conditions -- when wearing glasses, hats, makeup, hair, different lighting, when your face is flushed/very red, etc... It would be completely unreasonable to do all of that during the setup process. So it gets a good initial estimate and then adapts and in theory should become more secure and accurate over time. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Password backup...

Oh wait, that completely invalidates FaceID as soon as one builds up a good stubble.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

POh wait, that completely invalidates FaceID as soon as one builds up a good stubble.

Hence why it learns and adapts.....and why any pre-configured setup that couldn't would be horrendous. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

24 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

However, I can't see him realistically making a mold of my finger, or creeping up on me while sleeping to unlock my phone.

He wouldn't need to touch you at all. It's surprisingly easy to lift prints off a mug, plastic cup, even paper, where all you would need is to place the print and then apply pressure for the scanner to read it. 

As far as FaceID, doesn't 1M:1 still mean that there's 7000 people out there that would fool the system? Also, why can't Apple just cancel out the recognition if the user is wearing glasses out of the norm?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Well, the idea is that it samples your face in different conditions -- when wearing glasses, hats, makeup, different lighting, when your face is flushed/very red, etc... It would be completely unreasonable to do all of that during the setup process. So it gets a good initial estimate and then adapts and in theory should become more secure and accurate over time. 

The issue I see with that is it's just not going to be able to be as secure during that early phase - the same period when everyone is going to be wanting a look at your new phone and possibly confusing it, or trying to mess with it - and so that 1M : 1 number must be for once it's fully developed, which leads me to wonder what it starts out at.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Password backup...

Oh wait, that completely invalidates FaceID as soon as one builds up a good stubble.

So you would rather have a static face and have to set up FaceID again every 3 days? 

Sounds like wasted time to me. Apple has a dedicated machine learning chip for a reason. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, that implies that after 5min there is no more learning that can be done. 

Apple even said that it does this because your face changes week to week and even day to day. 

If you set it up all at once and you forgot to shave one day you might not be able to get into your phone. However if you use machine learning it would see that you are slowly growing out your mustache and would build up the map of your face. 

I see the logic in what you said but this is one of those times when logic is overridden by practicality. 

we don't say it shouldn't use machine learning , we say that it should be as safe as it can be at the start and then use machine learning to understand that its you after you grow a beard and i think that's what apple doing here

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

why can't Apple just cancel out the recognition if the user is wearing glasses out of the norm?

They could but I guess Sunglasses can be thrown on at any time. Its just hard to tell when its legit or being tricked. 

2 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

we say that it should be as safe as it can be at the start

Making your user set up your new tech for 10min is not a good image. 

People can buy an iPhone and be in it in under 5 min. Making that process possibly 15min or even longer is a solid no from Apple leadership. 

I love how some of the people defending faceid in this thread are the same people who said that faceid would be better than Intel Realsense in the announcement thread, or that it's use on a phone wouldn't put power and size constraints on it that limit the quality of security.

@DrMacintosh since a ton of theft happens to close family members how is "well it's only a worry with your siblings" an excuse?

And besides that, if wearing glasses were enough to poison the data and fool it for these pair of brothers, who knows what kind of technique can be used to poison the data to increase the chances of a false positive moving forward. Especially if you set up the phone against an adversarial neural net, there's a very good possibility we could devise a universal method for poisoning the biometrics on an iPhone X and render them moot.

There's a very good possibility that once people start trying to fool faceid it'll be far easier to spoof than a fingerprint. That Hollywood mask makers couldn't fool it says absolutely nothing because they're not security specialists...

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

They could but I guess Sunglasses can be thrown on at any time. Its just hard to tell when its legit or being tricked. 

I would make it so that it won't function, or ask for a password, whenever it detects too many missing projections or asking to remove any glasses. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I would make it so that it won't function, or ask for a password,

"Hey, we noticed you are wearing some glasses. Enter your passcode so we know its you" 

It could then add those glasses to your facial map. 

I would be ok with that.