Nvidia working on a 1070 Ti

snortingfrogs

Nvidia are apparently working on a new version of the 1070, called 1070 Ti.

Could be really interesting, either it will make the standard 1070 cheaper (hopefully) or it might replace the 1070.

NVIDIA is readying a new GeForce GTX 1070 refresh graphics card, according to well-placed sources. Positioned between the current GTX 1070 and the GTX 1080 11 Gbps in performance, the refreshed GTX 1070 could at least displace the current GTX 1070 from its price-point, if not replace it. NVIDIA could carve the new chip out of the latest stepping of the GP104 silicon, and give it more CUDA cores, likely 2,048 (on par with GTX 1070 Mobile), if not higher. It could also get faster memory, likely 9 Gbps GDDR5 or even 10 Gbps GDDR5X. Its core and GPU Boost clock speeds could even be dialed up a little.

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/237016/nvidia-readying-a-geforce-gtx-1070-refresh-gtx-1070-ti

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

well NVIDIA did say Pascal would be unbeatable for the holiday seson, but i wonder how this will place itself compared to the 1080 with the original VRAM speed :/ 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, InertiaSelling said:

@Coaxialgamer I don't think vega 56 is a serious threat to the 1070.

Why would Nvidia do that ? I mean, it's great news, but why ?

the Vega 56 is faster though, how is that not a threat? its up there with the GTX 1080 last time i saw a bench

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

the Vega 56 is faster though, how is that not a threat? its up there with the GTX 1080 last time i saw a bench

ya and its much pricier too, clap clap clap

And don say MSRP is lower, no one believes that marketing crap from AMD at this point.

That's what I meant, vega 56's price to performance is far from excellent at the moment. Most people don't buy graphics card for compute performance. And the power consumption is terrible as well. I don't feel like Nvidia is threatened. They would be if 56 was 30% cheaper, perhaps.

7 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

And don say MSRP is lower, no one believes that marketing crap from AMD at this point.

Because Nvidia and AMD have control over MSRP but also list price right... ;).

Anyway personally don't see the point, just price drop the 1070 and 1080 job done. Would have thought making a meaningful 1070Ti would be too much effort to not start stepping on 1080's and then pricing would just start getting weird.

5 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

i can find new Vega 56 cheaper then i can find new 1070s here in Sweden atlest

Builds:

Spoiler

Why?

I see no point in doing that this late into Pascal architecture when they could be working on releasing Volta which they already have. Especially this time around it makes even less sense because of the inflated prices of GPUs.

27 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well NVIDIA did say Pascal would be unbeatable for the holiday seson, but i wonder how this will place itself compared to the 1080 with the original VRAM speed :/ 

The difference between the two RAM speed variants was literally few %. 1070 Ti would compare are to OG 1080 pretty much the same as it does to the new one. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

30 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Except that MSRP is the level at which nvidia and amd compete. 

It's not "marketing crap". Amd makes the same amount of money regardless of how much money to card ends up selling for. Its in their best interest to keep the cards at msrp. The price gouging is on the retail side of things. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

32 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

The difference between the two RAM speed variants was literally few %. 1070 Ti would compare are to OG 1080 pretty much the same as it does to the new one. 

The difference is quite large and worth it. The issue why you rarely see any improvement is the power limit. By overclocking VRAM you lose on core clock quite a bit.

Not sure how much more W does GDDR5X vs GDDR5 consume on its stock.

This is when running Firestrike Ultimate (1080ti) with different VRAM clocks, power limit max, core OC the same.

download.axd?file=0;2709062&where=&f=clo

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Except that MSRP is the level at which nvidia and amd compete. 

It's not "marketing crap". Amd makes the same amount of money regardless of how much money to card ends up selling for. Its in their best interest to keep the cards at msrp. The price gouging is on the retail side of things. 

And why would i, as a consumer, care about MSRPs?

I care about the money i have to fork over when i buy a product, not what the company lists as a fake number.

For all it's worth AMD could put the MSRP at 99$ and even if NVidia lowered MSRP to 49$ afterwards, the picture would not change even by a fraction.Again, for the consumer.

Bottomline: You should not care about MSRP, you should care about how much your wallet is lighter after a purchase. And that is where NVidia currently outshines the Vega cards by a longshot.

@Senzelian We already got 1060 3GB and 1060 6GB so a 1060 Ti is not needed and would be quite confusing imho.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

The difference is quite large and worth it. The issue why you rarely see any improvement is the power limit. By overclocking VRAM you lose on core clock quite a bit.

Not sure how much more W does GDDR5X vs GDDR5 consume on its stock.

This is when running Firestrike Ultimate (1080ti) with different VRAM clocks, power limit max, core OC the same.

download.axd?file=0;2709062&where=&f=clo

There was a review on Guru3D, quite detailed, Strix 1080 11 Gbps version. Their words were that it does give increases, but it's a small step. 

Where did you see the huge increase? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Anyway personally don't see the point, just price drop the 1070 and 1080 job done.

Blasphemy! Heressy! 

1 hour ago, Rattenmann said:

And why would i, as a consumer, care about MSRPs?

You, as a consumer, don't launch new products and decide over the existence of a 1070 ti or lack thereof. So what matters is what Nvidia cares about. 

GPU prices are currently inflated, but 1) that's subject to change (in fact, I already see the used cards coming back, and even whole mining racks on eBay, possibly due to the energy costs here) and fluctuate in the future, and 2) they are inflated for everyone, in line with their compute capabilities power watt. Being generally weaker for mining has kept the Nvidia models less inflated for longer, but at this point the 1060s and 1070a are also gone. So, Vega 56 is away from MSRP, but so are the other cards, green and red, maybe with the very top and as an exception - only because those were already too pricey even compared to inflated midrange cards :P

Whether Nvidia cares about sales or just doesn't like seeing the 1070 below in charts, releasing a 1070 ti seems very plausibly a reaction to Vega 56. It's their way of saying "wait, this is the <<real>> 1070, now test again", kind of like when they released the 1060... 6gb, after already having released the 1060.

But maybe you have a different hypothesis. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

There was a review on Guru3D, quite detailed, Strix 1080 11 Gbps version. Their words were that it does give increases, but it's a small step. 

Where did you see the huge increase? 

In cats per second :P

Spoiler

I call it fake news.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

V56 is not faster than the GTX 1070, they trade blows depending completely on the workload to say what does better:

This gives the good picture, sometimes the Founders Edition GTX 1070 even outperforms the LIQUID COOLED VEGA 64 lol

My old back up GTX TITAN X Maxwell outperforms the V56 with a laugh.... AMD failed hard, 3 years and still can't fully beat Maxwell architecture.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

NO THEY DONT , its a fucking printout of some specs put in a plastic display thingy that someone snapped a picture off w/ a phone , its as loose of a leak as it gets jesus fucking christ 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

V56 is not faster than the GTX 1070, they trade blows depending completely on the workload to say what does better:

yes, but once overclocked(which, yes absolutely not guaranteed but seems like everyone card can do decently) the 56 runs away with it from what i have seen atleast. There will always be those cards like my 970 that wont move a MHz but the general overclocking/undervolting results seems to me to put it pretty close to a 1080 in both power draw and fps.

Builds:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

Well, it may not be true, but regarding the phone pic the source has this to say:

Spoiler

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator

For the record, the basis of this story is not this leaked screenshot:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-ti.237008/

We've spoken with well placed sources.

Posted on Sep 14th 2017, 8:50

(apparently, no quote box in mobile, only spoiler box...)