M.2 Won’t Recognize In MSI Bios 5 & Freezing w/ Horizontal Lines

Alright.  I made the mistake of doing a clone of my son’s SSD to his new M.2.  I got a conflict error in Disk Manager and decided I would be smart and change drive letters once I had the M.2 recognized in windows which was where all the problems started.

After that we started getting a ton of crashes (screenshots attached) and the machine hasn’t been the same since.  Those crashes were on 2 new installs of windows using the old SSD.  The M.2 would also sometimes show up in windows under disk management and device driver and sometimes wouldn’t.

Now I just want to install windows on this new M.2 (WD Black SN770) and not use the SSD but can’t get past the bios.

I’ve read to get the motherboard to recognize the M.2 so you can do a windows install to remove the other drives so I’ve unplugged them and no matter if I do CSM or UEFI the MSI bios fails to see this M.2 drive as you can see in the attached pictures.  I need it to be seen here to install windows on it right?

I’ve cleared cmos and previously updated bios to a build date of 3/11/24.  What am I doing wrong?  At this point I just want to install windows on this M.2 but can’t progress past this now.

sincerely, a dad who screwed up his sons PC upgrade and the issue is now over my head.

Ryzen 5 5600X

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

AMD 6700XT

M.2 is WD BLACK SN770

IMG_8701.jpeg

IMG_8702.jpeg

IMG_8691.jpeg

IMG_8696.jpeg

IMG_8705.jpeg

Make sure the drive is seated properly and has no dirt or anything blocking the connection, also try a different M.2 slot if possible. turn off CSM cause it shouldn't be needed.
You can also try putting it in another pc if you have one, make sure it's formatted properly. And also if the ssd has firmware available try updating it.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.8GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.35v High LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs w/ 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

8 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

Make sure the drive is seated properly and has no dirt or anything blocking the connection, also try a different M.2 slot if possible. turn off CSM cause it shouldn't be needed.
You can also try putting it in another pc if you have one, make sure it's formatted properly. And also if the ssd has firmware available try updating it.

I put it in the bottom M.2 slot and booted using the old SSD and was able to format the M.2 (NFTS is the right format?).  I unplug the SSD and try and boot with just the M.2 in that top slot and get the white CPU debug LED and no post or bios.  Cleared CMOS too.

Just now, WarmEngine said:

I put it in the bottom M.2 slot and booted using the old SSD and was able to format the M.2 (NFTS is the right format?).  I unplug the SSD and try and boot with just the M.2 in that top slot and get the white CPU debug LED and no post or bios.  Cleared CMOS too.

Windows requires NTFS so yes. If it can at least detect the drive you should be able to install, make sure it's formatted for GPT as well. Do shift+f10 in the windows install to open cmd, then type "diskpart" and "list disk", should show if it's GPT, you don't have to do anything else if it already is.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.8GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.35v High LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs w/ 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

15 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

Windows requires NTFS so yes. If it can at least detect the drive you should be able to install, make sure it's formatted for GPT as well. Do shift+f10 in the windows install to open cmd, then type "diskpart" and "list disk", should show if it's GPT, you don't have to do anything else if it already is.

So after multiple restarts and what appeared to be a weird cycle it finally booted into windows without restarting.  This is with the old SSD hooked up that has the OS on it and the new M.2 in the top slot.  No M.2 is listed in Device Manager or Disk Management.  Same with the Diskpart check.  So it seems like anytime the M.2 gets plugged into that top slot on the motherboard is when I have the issue.  There was a ‘m.2 standoff that sits at the end of the m.2 I removed since the plate that covers the slot is longer than than the M.2 and has a captive screw which goes into a standoff farther away.  There’s a rubber pad underneath the m.2 and it appears to be flat/even.

Could it be the PCIe lanes and SATA are having conflicts?  Like I have the SSD plugged into something that’s causing issues with the M.2 anytime it’s plugged into the top slot?

4 hours ago, WarmEngine said:

So after multiple restarts and what appeared to be a weird cycle it finally booted into windows without restarting.  This is with the old SSD hooked up that has the OS on it and the new M.2 in the top slot.  No M.2 is listed in Device Manager or Disk Management.  Same with the Diskpart check.  So it seems like anytime the M.2 gets plugged into that top slot on the motherboard is when I have the issue.  There was a ‘m.2 standoff that sits at the end of the m.2 I removed since the plate that covers the slot is longer than than the M.2 and has a captive screw which goes into a standoff farther away.  There’s a rubber pad underneath the m.2 and it appears to be flat/even.

Could it be the PCIe lanes and SATA are having conflicts?  Like I have the SSD plugged into something that’s causing issues with the M.2 anytime it’s plugged into the top slot?

to me it sounds more like a mainboard or cpu issue.. have you checked the socket for bent pins? or changed mounting pleasure on cpu cooler?

the only thing that shouldn't work on your system is if an nvme is in m.2 slot 2_2 is pcie port E3.. your manual says nothing about nvme in m.2 2_1 slot. 

Here’s an update …

• Anytime the M.2 was installed in Slot #1 (above the GPU) without the SSD plugged in it wouldn’t load bios most of the time and white CPU debug LED was on.  This makes me think there’s a CPU pin issue or maybe a top slot issue.  This would explain the random crashes potentially too?
  • The same M.2 was recognized by BIOS & Windows (Device Manager) when inserted into the bottom M.2 slot.  I installed Windows on it (while in Slot 2) and it put the entire install on a single partition and wouldn't get past BIOS with no drives but the M.2 plugged in.  If i plugged the SSD in i would get a prompt asking which volume with windows i wanted to install and then i could load into the new Windows Install but the crashes returned.  I had zero freezing/crashinf when only working with the M.2

I'm going to do another Windows install tonight hoping to get the typical partitions so BIOS sees it and loads Windows.  I just followed then prompts during install and formatted the drive (which was a single partition) so not sure why it didn't create the partitions.

Thoughts or ideas for tonight?

39 minutes ago, WarmEngine said:

Here’s an update …

• Anytime the M.2 was installed in Slot #1 (above the GPU) without the SSD plugged in it wouldn’t load bios most of the time and white CPU debug LED was on.  This makes me think there’s a CPU pin issue or maybe a top slot issue.  This would explain the random crashes potentially too?
  • The same M.2 was recognized by BIOS & Windows (Device Manager) when inserted into the bottom M.2 slot.  I installed Windows on it (while in Slot 2) and it put the entire install on a single partition and wouldn't get past BIOS with no drives but the M.2 plugged in.  If i plugged the SSD in i would get a prompt asking which volume with windows i wanted to install and then i could load into the new Windows Install but the crashes returned.  I had zero freezing/crashinf when only working with the M.2

I'm going to do another Windows install tonight hoping to get the typical partitions so BIOS sees it and loads Windows.  I just followed then prompts during install and formatted the drive (which was a single partition) so not sure why it didn't create the partitions.

Thoughts or ideas for tonight?

did you some how reuse the bootloader on the sata ssd?..  and when removing it won't load..

basicaly remove anything except install disk. 

reset bios to default. 

try installing. 🙂

15 minutes ago, Robchil said:

did you some how reuse the bootloader on the sata ssd?..  and when removing it won't load..

Possibly.  How would I know that though?  Not familiar with bootloader unfortuately.

16 minutes ago, Robchil said:

basicaly remove anything except install disk. 

reset bios to default. 

try installing. 🙂

Mind explaining this like I'm an idiot? 🙂  I'm pretty sure I know what you mean by reset bios, just need to put that on a usb and flash it.  Not sure what you're saying regarding remove anything except install disk though before trying to install?  The M.2 was formatted before I installed Windows on it.

20 minutes ago, WarmEngine said:

Possibly.  How would I know that though?  Not familiar with bootloader unfortuately.

Mind explaining this like I'm an idiot? 🙂  I'm pretty sure I know what you mean by reset bios, just need to put that on a usb and flash it.  Not sure what you're saying regarding remove anything except install disk though before trying to install?  The M.2 was formatted before I installed Windows on it.

if you had the ssd connected when try to install windows on the nvme and it was windows installed on the ssd previously and all partitions wasn't deleted on the ssd before trying to install windows on the nvme, windows often reuse the EFI/bootloader image that already exist. this is why it is recommended to remove all other disks except the target disk for the install. 

in bios load factory default settings. 

start the install with the USB. 

make sure there are only unused space on the disk before starting to install.. if there are any partitions at all remove them. 

and continue the install 🙂

3 minutes ago, Robchil said:

if you had the ssd connected when try to install windows on the nvme and it was windows installed on the ssd previously and all partitions wasn't deleted on the ssd before trying to install windows on the nvme, windows often reuse the EFI/bootloader image that already exist. this is why it is recommended to remove all other disks except the target disk for the install. 

SSD wasn't installed during the Windows install on the M.2.  It was only plugged back in AFTER installing and updating drivers.  When I went to restart at one point I loaded to BIOS and Windows wouldn't load so I plugged in the SSD to see what would happen.  That's when I was able to load into Windows and got that prompt asking which Volume to load Windows from.  Hope that makes sense?

3 minutes ago, WarmEngine said:

SSD wasn't installed during the Windows install on the M.2.  It was only plugged back in AFTER installing and updating drivers.  When I went to restart at one point I loaded to BIOS and Windows wouldn't load so I plugged in the SSD to see what would happen.  That's when I was able to load into Windows and got that prompt asking which Volume to load Windows from.  Hope that makes sense?

it doesn't.. sound like the nvme has an issue. then, if it can't keep the install properly. 

if csm or legacy means it wants MBR formated drive. windows 11 wants UEFI and GPT formated drive only. so disable csm. and as mentioned above go into diskpart and check what format the drive are. MBR or GPT, you can change it there too before you start the windows install 

56 minutes ago, Robchil said:

it doesn't.. sound like the nvme has an issue. then, if it can't keep the install properly. 

if csm or legacy means it wants MBR formated drive. windows 11 wants UEFI and GPT formated drive only. so disable csm. and as mentioned above go into diskpart and check what format the drive are. MBR or GPT, you can change it there too before you start the windows install 

Thanks.  I'll re-install tonight when I'm home from work and document with pictures along the way and report back.  Appreciate the help!

11 hours ago, WarmEngine said:

Thanks.  I'll re-install tonight when I'm home from work and document with pictures along the way and report back.  Appreciate the help!

Good news.  Windows installed correctly this time, HOWEVER, I'm still experiencing random crashes with variations of what is in the original post.

Here's one example.  The thickness, exact pattern, and colors vary each time.  This can happen while simply looking at a website of text or other non-gaming tasks.

M.2 is installed in the BOTTOM slot so not the top one that's controlled by the CPU.  Would this point you to believe it's a bad SSD or I have an issue with the CPU, mounting pressure on the stock cooler, or the motherboard?  I'm not seeing anything as a critical event in the event viewer log prior to me force shutting down and restarting the computer.  No BSOD errors or the alike.

IMG_8744.jpg

IMG_8746.jpeg

you might need to reset the whole m.2 storage itself.

i ran into some strange driver bug that win 10 installed.(it was pulled and never used again last year)

where even basic window deleting would  not work.

it corrupt the table itself on the storage drive.

i forgot the cmd line need for it. but you need for love of god get the typing right the first time.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Sorta lost on what you're suggesting here.  I formatted the M.2 prior to installing windows.  Is that what you mean by reset?

Diskpart "clean all" command does a low level format in a way.  you can  use a 3rd party tool

To access diskpart,

In the Windows search,

type cmd, right-click it, and choose run as administrator.

Type diskpart

Press Enter.

Select the disk and use clean all command.

you can do this in a bootable usb drive

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

This has been fixed.  For those curious it ended up being the CPU and I didn't see any bent or broken pieces so very strange.

I bought a new motherboard, tried new Windows Installs on multiple SSD's, even bought a new USB drive for the Windows Install at one point, then started swapping out the RAM and GPU with known working components and it would continue to happen.  It didn't matter if I installed updated drivers or not either.  I swapped the CPU and the lag my son was experiencing while dragging windows around causing it to stutter or not move smoothly instantly went away and the CPU hasn't crashed in almost 24 hours now so safe to say it was the CPU.  Purchased May 2022 and was working fine up until now.