Nvidia working on a 1070 Ti

snortingfrogs
3 hours ago, WereCat said:

Why?

I see no point in doing that this late into Pascal architecture when they could be working on releasing Volta which they already have. Especially this time around it makes even less sense because of the inflated prices of GPUs.

Except that Volta is still extremely expensive for them to produce.  As I understand things (admittedly, I could be mistaken), it can take an entire wafer to produce just one functional Volta GPU.  Until they can get production under control, they're far better off selling those cards for compute purposes only, where they can charge a premium.  As such, a 1070 Ti makes plenty of sense.

RIP gtx 1080

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Likely to combat vega 56...

They can combat Vega 56 already with 2 attributes:

1) A lower price

2) Actual cards in stock

I just don't see the point of a middle card between the 1070 and the 1080 specially when the price of the 1070 is already so damn close to the 1080 as to be obsolete for as long as the mining craze lasts.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Blasphemy! Heressy! 

You, as a consumer, don't launch new products and decide over the existence of a 1070 ti or lack thereof. So what matters is what Nvidia cares about. 

GPU prices are currently inflated, but 1) that's subject to change (in fact, I already see the used cards coming back, and even whole mining racks on eBay, possibly due to the energy costs here) and fluctuate in the future, and 2) they are inflated for everyone, in line with their compute capabilities power watt. Being generally weaker for mining has kept the Nvidia models less inflated for longer, but at this point the 1060s and 1070a are also gone. So, Vega 56 is away from MSRP, but so are the other cards, green and red, maybe with the very top and as an exception - only because those were already too pricey even compared to inflated midrange cards :P

Whether Nvidia cares about sales or just doesn't like seeing the 1070 below in charts, releasing a 1070 ti seems very plausibly a reaction to Vega 56. It's their way of saying "wait, this is the <<real>> 1070, now test again", kind of like when they released the 1060... 6gb, after already having released the 1060.

But maybe you have a different hypothesis. 

Yes this has been "subject to change" since like May or June. Mining is not going away prices will not change anytime soon: Ethereum is holding up despite all of this predictions. I said it before and I'll say it again: waiting for Ethereum to crash is not a solution since not only it might not crash but any other coin can be created to replace it and within a few weeks we're back to scarce cards.

-------

Current Rig

-------

not sure if i care. the price difference between the 1070-1080 is so small jamming another card in between them is stupid and if I owned a 1070 I would probably be a little pissed off. But i guess this is nVidia MO for the foreseeable future.

Unless they drop the price of the 1070 and introduce the 1070Ti at the current 1070 price. I don't know usually im excited about any card that comes out (almost) but this one I'll press the snooze button. :)

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

This really only makes sense for OEM's. For public purchase it doesn't make cock sense honestly.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It's way too early to say "this is not needed" and such.

IF they release a 1070 Ti we might see price adjustments for the other cards in their lineup, dropping the price of the 1070 with say $50, 1060 6GB with $30, the 1060 3GB with $20 and so on.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

"NVIDIA is readying a new GeForce GTX 1070 refresh graphics card, according to well-placed sources."

We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel, are we. If this doesn't work for cable news, it won't fucking work with tech news.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 hours ago, Rattenmann said:

And why would i, as a consumer, care about MSRPs?

I care about the money i have to fork over when i buy a product, not what the company lists as a fake number.

For all it's worth AMD could put the MSRP at 99$ and even if NVidia lowered MSRP to 49$ afterwards, the picture would not change even by a fraction.Again, for the consumer.

Bottomline: You should not care about MSRP, you should care about how much your wallet is lighter after a purchase. And that is where NVidia currently outshines the Vega cards by a longshot.

Consumers shouldn't care about msrp. Thats not the issue. When amd and nvidia compete on price however, they fight based on MSRP. Not based on store price. Amd makes the same amount of money regardless of retail price. The in store cost is mainly affected by supply and demand. 

But as far as nvidia is concerned, vega 56 is faster than the 1070, and only costs a bit more (350 vs 399$), which could entice some people. 

They want to maintain leadership by making sure vega isn't even considered. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

They can combat Vega 56 already with 2 attributes:

1) A lower price

2) Actual cards in stock

I just don't see the point of a middle card between the 1070 and the 1080 specially when the price of the 1070 is already so damn close to the 1080 as to be obsolete for as long as the mining craze lasts.

I addressed it in another comment, but my reasoning is that nvidia wants to make sure that vega isn't even CONSIDERED. They know that the 1070 will outsell vega 56, but some people are indeed considering it as an alternative. 

A "1070ti" doesn't cost anything more to make. They can just use the same gp104 dies and cut them as needed. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

5 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I addressed it in another comment, but my reasoning is that nvidia wants to make sure that vega isn't even CONSIDERED. They know that the 1070 will outsell vega 56, but some people are indeed considering it as an alternative. 

A "1070ti" doesn't cost anything more to make. They can just use the same gp104 dies and cut them as needed. 

Tru dat.

But actually my guess (100% speculation but still) would be that this 1070ti will do something to curve down miners. It might not be something very drastic and might just be a token limitation or even as simple as negotiating with retailers and distributors (i.e. you cannot sell more than 1 per customer of this specific SKU the others you can but not this one). But bottom line is that this card will do something to address the situation.

It might end up being nothing more than a repackage of the 1070 and calling it "ti" with a factory overclock to justify the more expensive MSRP.

-------

Current Rig

-------

17 minutes ago, anthonyjc2010 said:

Vega 56 is designed to destroy the 1070

Just gonna leave this here...

Spoiler

4iijYUw.png

Spoiler

r9T27B0.png

Spoiler

rz0hctW.png

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 hours ago, InertiaSelling said:

@Coaxialgamer I don't think vega 56 is a serious threat to the 1070.

Once the mining demand drops and Vega56 is available at MSRP it is.

Cause it is faster than the GTX 1070. And the power consumption is ok (unlike Vega64).

33 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Once the mining demand drops and Vega56 is available at MSRP

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and the mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then the mining demand will drop, and not before.

5 hours ago, snortingfrogs said:

@Senzelian We already got 1060 3GB and 1060 6GB so a 1060 Ti is not needed and would be quite confusing imho.

Both would be confusing, but the gap between the 1060 and 1070 seems larger than between then 1070 and 1080 and in the past we've seen more 60-series TI versions.

8 hours ago, InertiaSelling said:

@Coaxialgamer I don't think vega 56 is a serious threat to the 1070.

Why would Nvidia do that ? I mean, it's great news, but why ?

Vega 56 is it drops back to 400 dollars is a really good option at that price because of the HBM memory and being faster then normal 1070.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

8 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

There was a review on Guru3D, quite detailed, Strix 1080 11 Gbps version. Their words were that it does give increases, but it's a small step. 

Where did you see the huge increase? 

Witcher 3

+700MHz (+1400MHz effective) on VRAM got me 13FPS AVG

This a really unnecessary addition... 1070 is close enough to the 1080 as it is, why would they jam another increment between 100% perf and 115% perf? It would make more sense for them to lower the 1060 price and introduce a 4GB 1070 which would pretty much guarantee them ownership of the midrange until the cryptobubble bursts.

35 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Witcher 3

+700MHz (+1400MHz effective) on VRAM got me 13FPS AVG

That is something between the cards or something was wrong. FE OG 1080 vs Strix OC 1080 11 Gbps gives like 10 FPS. That's pretty much top and bottom that you can get. What was your previous card?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

36 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

That is something between the cards or something was wrong. FE OG 1080 vs Strix OC 1080 11 Gbps gives like 10 FPS. That's pretty much top and bottom that you can get. What was your previous card?

GTX 1060 6GB and 770 2GB