Packet loss issue need help

OzZy15

while playing my usual games, TF2 and SMITE, I get massive lag spikes that last for like 20 seconds. The ping goes from a normal 34 or 46 to 700+. While playing I opened CMD and ran the command ping 8.8.8.8 -t -4, and when I have the issue the ping just says "request timed out". While playing League of Legends, the ping goes from 34 to 700, 780, 800, and goes on then goes back down. The ping on CMD though doesn't time out, but had "time=700". And I look on discord and check connection, says packet loss is 60.4% or 34.8%. What is a way to look at what is causing these issues. I have Xfinity wifi and have a Eero Mesh router connected to it. Eero (3x) Router to be exact.

Any help is appricated.

This is what it looks like, my friend in call is still talking and i can still hear him, but he cant hear me. And the game continues as normal with me blinking around like Tracer but in TF2

Is there any way to use ethernet?

Apprentice Software Developer

16 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Is there any way to use ethernet?

only using ethernet connected to xfinity modem

Get rid of any background processes that may be wasting bandwidth, install ethernet nic drivers, also turn off any power saving features on the wifi or ethernet nic.

Device manager -> ethernet nic -> right click and properties -> Advanced tab -> Turn off Energy Efficient Ethernet, Green ethernet, Power saving mode, advanced EEE, Gigabit lite and Priority and VLAN, auto negotiation to 1gbps full duplex. If some of them aren't there then don't worry it means it's already not supported.
Also go to the "Power management" tab and turn off "allow the computer to turn off this device"
Install driver first cause it'll reset all of this.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.8GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.35v High LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs w/ 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

20 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

Get rid of any background processes that may be wasting bandwidth, install ethernet nic drivers, also turn off any power saving features on the wifi or ethernet nic.

Device manager -> ethernet nic -> right click and properties -> Advanced tab -> Turn off Energy Efficient Ethernet, Green ethernet, Power saving mode, advanced EEE, Gigabit lite and Priority and VLAN, auto negotiation to 1gbps full duplex. If some of them aren't there then don't worry it means it's already not supported.
Also go to the "Power management" tab and turn off "allow the computer to turn off this device"
Install driver first cause it'll reset all of this.

Tried installing the NIC drivers, didn't work because its a realtek gaming 2.5GbE family controller ethernet driver. Try looking up the download page, and can only see realtek has moved this page. 

20 minutes ago, OzZy15 said:

Tried installing the NIC drivers, didn't work because its a realtek gaming 2.5GbE family controller ethernet driver. Try looking up the download page, and can only see realtek has moved this page. 

Edit: Windows update probably gives a newer version, use that instead. Or if you can find it on the realtek website.

Yeah don't use what I sent you, I found the new one from realteks website. Also use the uninstall function in the driver tool (with ethernet unplugged so windows update doesn't put a random driver in), and then install it.

Install_Win10_10071_03102024_04252024.exe

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.8GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.35v High LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs w/ 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

Could be something on ISP side as well

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 🤠

15 hours ago, OzZy15 said:

nly using ethernet connected to xfinity modem

Could be an issue at a peering point. Might be a signal issue (signal marginal going in to the Xfinity gateway). Could be congestion on the Xfinity network. Could be physical damage of a cable or connection inside or outside the house.

First thing Id do is check all the coax connections and sure they are firmly tight. Second thing Id do is reboot the Xfinity gateway. 3rd thing Id do check the signal stats and make sure they are with in spec.

Compare signals to this

Downstream (Rx) Receive Power Level:
This is the amount of signal received by the modem from the transmitter in the cable company head-end.

For all modems DOCSIS 3.0 / 3.1:

-7 dBmV to +7 dBmV "Recommended"
-8 dBmV to -10 dBmV / +8 dBmV to +10 dBmV - "Acceptable"
-11 dBmV to -15 dBmV / +11 dBmV to +15 dBmV - "Maximum"
Lower than -15 dBmV & Higher than +15 dBmV - "Out Of Spec."

SNR (signal to noise ratio) levels:
This is how clear the signal is at either the modem receiver (downstream SNR) or the receiver in the cable company head-end (upstream SNR).

DOCSIS specifications list minimum CNR (carrier to noise ratio) levels not SNR levels. The SNR levels listed here are based on commonly recommended MER levels for digital cable signals. Not all QAM demodulator chipsets accurately calculate SNR levels that approximate actual MER levels, so these levels may vary depending on which chipset and/or firmware is used in the equipment.

*There is no upper SNR limit.

For all modems DOCSIS 3.0 / 3.1:

256 QAM: 30 dB minimum. 33 dB or higher recommended.
64 QAM: 24 dB minimum. 27 dB or higher recommended.
16 QAM: 18 dB minimum. 21 dB or higher recommended.
QPSK: 12 dB minimum. 15 dB or higher recommended.

Downstream SNR levels are read at the modem on the downstream data channel and can be viewed using the modem diagnostic screens.

Upstream SNR levels are read at the CMTS on the upstream data channel, not the modem or the modem diagnostic screens. The end-user cannot get the upstream SNR directly. Only the provider can read the upstream SNR level, directly from the CMTS. Also, the upstream SNR level provided by most CMTSs is not specific to any single modem, but is an averaged, aggregate level from all modems on that upstream channel on the upstream port.

Upstream (Tx) Transmit Power (a.k.a. Return Signal) level:
This is the amount of signal transmitted by the modem to reach the receiver in the cable company head-end.

*Recommended Upstream signal levels are +35 dBmV to +47 dBmV (DOCSIS 3.1)
*Recommended Upstream signal levels are +35 dBmV to +49 dBmV (DOCSIS 3.0)

50 dBmV maximum for OFDMA (DOCSIS 3.1)
52 dBmV maximum for A-TDMA, TDMA & SC-QAM (DOCSIS 3.0)
53 dBmV maximum for S-CDMA DOCSIS 2.0 (All Modulations)
54 dBmV maximum for 32 QAM and 64 QAM. (A-TDMA DOCSIS 2.0)
55 dBmV maximum for 8 QAM and 16 QAM. (DOCSIS 1.0, 1.1)
58 dBmV maximum for QPSK. (DOCSIS 1.0, 1.1)

A cable modem running a higher upstream modulation rate may downgrade itself to a lower modulation rate (i.e. 64 QAM to 16 QAM or 16 QAM to QPSK) if the upstream transmit level is higher than the maximum signal level allowed for the higher modulation rate and the CMTS is configured to allow such a change. This downgrade can cause slow speed, packet loss, and connection loss issues depending on the condition of the upstream channel.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

23 hours ago, rippy4500 said:

Edit: Windows update probably gives a newer version, use that instead. Or if you can find it on the realtek website.

Yeah don't use what I sent you, I found the new one from realteks website. Also use the uninstall function in the driver tool (with ethernet unplugged so windows update doesn't put a random driver in), and then install it.

Install_Win10_10071_03102024_04252024.exe 5.12 MB · 1 download

Yea I installed both, the one before the edit yesterday, then after the edit today. I just couldn't find the file on realteks website. That website is too confusing for me. But still the packetloss occures

19 hours ago, Catzzye said:

Could be something on ISP side as well

This is true, because I had issues even watching a video on my phone while like 10 feet away from the modem.

Maybe I'll just switch to AT&T Fiber when I get the chance

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Could be an issue at a peering point. Might be a signal issue (signal marginal going in to the Xfinity gateway). Could be congestion on the Xfinity network. Could be physical damage of a cable or connection inside or outside the house.

First thing Id do is check all the coax connections and sure they are firmly tight. Second thing Id do is reboot the Xfinity gateway. 3rd thing Id do check the signal stats and make sure they are with in spec.

Compare signals to this

Yea coax is firmly tight, not even to the side or sliding out, rebooted the Xfinity gateway 2 times already, and then im confused to how im supposed to do that, a little help would be great

2 hours ago, OzZy15 said:

onfused to how im supposed to do that, a little help would be great

Unfortunately  checking the stats you will have to figure out on your own. We do NOT rent xfinity equipment. So the process on our cable modem is probably going to be different then  their gateway. For me I go to 192.168.100.1 in a web browser. I dont think that will work for you.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Try pinging your modem/router to make sure it's not a defective patch cable.

If the problem's outside your network, try rebooting the modem/router. Make sure it has as few splitters as possible between it and the street on the coax side.

If that doesn't help, you'll need to call customer support. They might replace your gateway, or they might roll a truck.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.