Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 - The Return of Sound Cards!?

9 hours ago, pas008 said:

Lol

99% can't even tell 16/48 from 24/48 output. 

It depends more on the quality of the speaker than anything else, believe me if you were in a nightclub with a lot of high quality speakers around you you'd easily tell the difference but at home with smaller and not as good quality speakers its much harder to tell.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

29 minutes ago, agent_x007 said:

Personally I don't care for 32-bit/384kHz.
Give me values for 16/44.1(48) and what Caps/Amps are used exactly.
I use Xonar Essence ST Deluxe (since 2012) and recently I bought a used Auzen Forte 7.1 R1.20 as backup in case I need PCI-e good soundcard (X-Fi 64MB X-Ram 109dB for stereo).

I borrowed my sister Titanium HD (since I don't need it right know).
So, how does this "AE-5" compare to Forte 7.1 and Titanium HD in terms of actual sound quality (do I need a "1k" sound system to hear the diffrence) ?

The last part you said is up to the actual owners to test but most can differentiate the sound with less than a "1k" audio equipment. You'll have to check some reviews in Head-Fi. But there isn't a review yet for AE-5 I think since rarely do people replace their sound cards or usb DAC/Amp combos just to try this.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

1 hour ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

Total junk. All internal sound hardware is useless. It has to be external and shielded in some fashion. 

You can shield sound cards with the backplates that will be grounded through the PCIe ground connection. It's not perfect, but it's quite effective. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

17 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The real problem with internal Sound Cards comes down to the fact it puts the outputs on the back of the case, furtherest from the user. So you either need a really long cables or attach it to the front panel.  First causes a lot of wonky problems for either headphones or most speaker systems, while the latter kills a huge amount of the improved quality.

And, for that cost? Just get a Schitt Stack. (Magni 2 + Modi 2) You'll actually get far more utility for your computer and more direct control.  That's really the problem Soundblaster finds itself in.

Yeah, I notice the new sound cards don't have the adapters like my old Titanium X-Fi has.

I think I still got the adapter somewhere for mine.  Still rocking it too.

41rDdNMSAQL._SX300_.jpg

Though, I think I will be upgrading to an external DAC/AMP for my stationary main rig.  I been spoiled by my Oppo HA-2 I bought at a nice used price about a year ago for my headphones when traveling. 

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

Yeah, I notice the new sound cards don't have the adapters like my old Titanium X-Fi has.

I think I still got the adapter somewhere for mine.  Still rocking it too.

41rDdNMSAQL._SX300_.jpg

Part of the problem was they used to charge way too much for the front panel part.  It also didn't help that getting solid headphones wasn't the easiest thing in the world. Plus, at this point, so many cases pretty much don't even have front panel slots. (And let's not ignore that on-board audio has gotten to the point of not being completely trash around 2008-2010. "Enough" can just be enough.)

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Part of the problem was they used to charge way too much for the front panel part.  It also didn't help that getting solid headphones wasn't the easiest thing in the world. Plus, at this point, so many cases pretty much don't even have front panel slots. (And let's not ignore that on-board audio has gotten to the point of not being completely trash around 2008-2010. "Enough" can just be enough.)

Yeah, the front panel was not cheap at full price.  Myself, I wait for sells (only reason I got the full packaged X-Fi in the first place).  This back during Sandybridge chips.  A lot has changed since then. 

I see quiet a good amount of cases with front panels still.  No lose in selection, just greater selection in case layouts, appearances, and options.

On on-board sound for desktop motherbaords, yeah, they are decent.  ...Laptops though...buzz, buzz, buzz.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

18 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

And, for that cost? Just get a Schitt Stack. (Magni 2 + Modi 2) You'll actually get far more utility for your computer and more direct control.  That's really the problem Soundblaster finds itself in.

But does it have RGB? Thought so. /s

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Um... Maybe I don't quite understand how audio works, but where does the average gamer encounter 32 bit, 348 kHz sources? Or actually anything higher than 16 bit, 44/48 khz?

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Old skus are still the best.

all-big.jpg

creative-labs-sound-blaster-x-fi-platinu

SB0350P-unit.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Except the remote is junk and useless (didn't work with Media Center or any other software beside Creative seriously awful pack-in "media software" if you want to call it even a software), and No Vista and above drivers debacle story, where, now, if you want compatibility, full featured, you need to get modded/hacked up drivers.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Except the remote is junk and useless (didn't work with Media Center or any other software beside Creative seriously awful pack-in "media software" if you want to call it even a software), and No Vista and above drivers debacle story, where, now, if you want compatibility, full featured, you need to get modded/hacked up drivers.

Who would ever make a PC remote that wasn't MCE compatible?! D:  I mean geez, even my Xbox 360 supports MCE remotes!

19 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

For me it's the software.  Realtek's control panel is complete and utter dog shit and has zero features.  Soundblaster > HT > Dog Shit > Realtek.

WARNING: Products with the words "Soundblaster" or "Creative"  may contain bad DACs and distorted AMPs, components known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm. Please wash hands after handling "Creative" products, and avoid listening to the sound-output if at all possible. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.

The only modern sound cards does better then older ones is NOT USING MOLEX for power.

My several years old ASUS D2X is still competing with ASUS's and Creatives latest models. Components simply hasnt improved much in computer audio, because there simply isnt financially reasonable to build a high end audio card and put it inside a PC due to the inherently noisy enviroment. And you aint going to have good enough cooling for the huge ass amps and processors if you encase the whole thing shut... Simply put, if you want a high end DAC/AMP combo soundcard INSIDE a PC, it is going to cost you close to 300$ or more for what would be a 120-200$ standalone USB powered product

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

It depends more on the quality of the speaker than anything else, believe me if you were in a nightclub with a lot of high quality speakers around you you'd easily tell the difference but at home with smaller and not as good quality speakers its much harder to tell.

Lol

Nightclubs?really? That's what you bring

Sounds like you know what you are talking about Lol

You have no idea of the Cost what i and many friends have spent on higher quality sound

But its ok

People like you still get triggered being in the 99%

No specifications, no PCB shots, and LED lighting on an audio card. Who the hell calls this the "return" of sound cards?

9 minutes ago, SSL said:

No specifications, no PCB shots, and LED lighting on an audio card. Who the hell calls this the "return" of sound cards?

Creative lovers, that's who.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, SSL said:

Well it's obvious, you didn't bother to click on the source link. 9_9

Yes, that white thingy on the edge is, a 4 pin molex power connector.

soundblaster_ae5_y-100725528-orig.thumb.jpg.d1b831f35cd92afff2c709452ab811d8.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

If you're serious about desktop audio don't but a sound card, but an external DAC

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

8 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

I could tell it a bit, only if the studio mixing done was really good that would be the absolute difference but then again, very rare. But anything beyond 48KHz is really hard.

No one really can, and this has been proven. 

EDIT: dithering is done on nearly all recordings to reduce noise audibility, but this is mostly because no one can agree if it actually works or not and it has not other consequences to the audio signal.  After 16bits it doesn't matter how good you're gear is or how the recording is mixed/mastered, you won't hear a difference.

https://www.sonicscoop.com/2013/08/29/why-almost-everything-you-thought-you-knew-about-bit-depth-is-probably-wrong/3/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, pas008 said:

Lol

Nightclubs?really? That's what you bring

Sounds like you know what you are talking about Lol

You have no idea of the Cost what i and many friends have spent on higher quality sound

But its ok

People like you still get triggered being in the 99%

Funny cause it really seems to me that the only person whose triggered here is you, lol.

I used an example that was relevant and easily understandable, I genuinely don't care about your setup in any way because I'm never going to experience it but it's a safe assumption that most people will go into a nightclub at least once in their lives so by banging on about your studio grade monitors , DACs and the 1% all you are doing is making yourself sound like an elitist.

"Look at me and all the money I spent on something you'll never be able to experience"

Also you shouldn't make assumptions about people you don't know because you'll usually make yourself look not very clever.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

44 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Funny cause it really seems to me that the only person whose triggered here is you, lol.

I used an example that was relevant and easily understandable, I genuinely don't care about your setup in any way because I'm never going to experience it but it's a safe assumption that most people will go into a nightclub at least once in their lives so by banging on about your studio grade monitors , DACs and the 1% all you are doing is making yourself sound like an elitist.

"Look at me and all the money I spent on something you'll never be able to experience"

Also you shouldn't make assumptions about people you don't know because you'll usually make yourself look not very clever.

Assumptions aside, trying to compare the sound quality in a night club to any half decent headphone and onboard audio solution is like trying to compare a jack hammer to a dremel for fine work.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, Ithanul said:

...Laptops though...buzz, buzz, buzz.

Oh god yeah. Reason I got a USB DAC. I couldn't stand the buzzing in my headphones, it was like a fly buzzing around somewhere in the room.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I used an example that was relevant and easily understandable, I genuinely don't care about your setup in any way because I'm never going to experience it but it's a safe assumption that most people will go into a nightclub at least once in their lives so by banging on about your studio grade monitors

I think his point was more that night clubs don't actually have high quality equipment. Most PA gear used in nightclubs is actually rather cheap and of not the best sound quality, focus #1 on these products is loudness and the ability to throw the sound far. And to be fair when you are in a nightclub the quality of the sound really isn't what anyone cares about, nobody is stopping to listen to the lyrics heh.

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I just lol'ed at nightclub and high quality speakers. You can't be serious right?