PBO settings and stability

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

PPT is how much power in W the CPU can use so changing PPT alone is enough.

Or you can leave everything as it is and change the max temp the CPU can reach before throttling.

In either case you'll get lower multi-core performance but should maintain roughly the same single-core performance.

I'm planning on downsizing my build to a mini-ITX form factor and in doing so will have to use a low-profile cpu cooler. My 5800x TDP is 105w and I'm not comfortable with that much power for something low profile. If I were to change my PBO settings to the standard numbers for a 65W TDP chip would it effectively lower the 5800xs wattage / heat / performance or would it become a stability nightmare? I've never over/underclocked anything or messed with pbo settings before.

my primary choices for the new cooler are thermalright axp90-x47 and the alpenhofn blackridge 

My current PPT / TDC / EDC maximums are:

142W / 95A / 140A

im under the assumption that changing them to

88W / 60A / 90A 

would be the same settings for a 65w tdp cpu

would it be simpler to run the cpu in eco mode or will that sacrifice more performance for the same heat reduction?

Or you can leave everything as it is and change the max temp the CPU can reach before throttling.

In either case you'll get lower multi-core performance but should maintain roughly the same single-core performance.

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

what then does changing tdc and edc do? prevent a certain amount of power delivery while the cpu is under heavy load or at a spike?

1 hour ago, Bipstick said:

what then does changing tdc and edc do? prevent a certain amount of power delivery while the cpu is under heavy load or at a spike?

TDC = sustained current and EDC = burst current if I remember correctly. Some workloads draw way more current than others which will make your CPU hit power limit much sooner despite CPU using low clocks because it's running at very low voltages due to current maxing out the power. Not really something you need to worry about too much for day to day tasks.