Problems with planar driver IEMs

ShotTequil

Hi everyone, I would like to ask you about a problem that I encountered with the planar magnetic IEMs, specifically the BASN MTPro in Ear Monitors, 14.5mm Planar, when I connected them to the devices in the IEMs I could hear a hum, a background noise, a sort of interference. This happened when I connected the IEMs directly to the game console, to a digital piano or when I connected them to the Mac while it was charging. However, the noise could not be heard if I connected the IEM to the iPhone or Mac while it was not charging and the sound was clean and the audio quality was spectacular. I would also like to point out that the moment I touched the IEM jack the noise disappeared. Could this be due to the sensitivity of the IEM's planar magnetic drivers which need a ground on the devices they are attached to?
What could all this be due to? What could be the problem?

Well first we need to troubleshoot if it's the IEMs and not the devices.

Have you plugged in cheap IEMs into these same devices in the same exact scenarios? IEMs are sensitive, and thus far more susceptible to an audible noisefloor.

9 hours ago, ShotTequil said:

This happened when I connected the IEMs directly to the game console

come on man. If you come here for help why are you going to use generic terminology

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Sounds a lot like a grounding problem. Are you using grounded outlets and that your houses wiring is properly grounded?

19 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Bene, prima dobbiamo risolvere il problema se si tratta degli IEM e non dei dispositivi.

Hai collegato IEM economici a questi stessi dispositivi negli stessi esatti scenari? Gli IEM sono sensibili e quindi molto più suscettibili a un rumore di fondo udibile.

coraggio amico. Se vieni qui per chiedere aiuto, perché utilizzerai una terminologia generica

First of all they are not cheap iems, if you had looked up the model you would know it. Second thing, as I wrote, I did a series of tests and this noise only appeared when I connected the IEMs to devices that needed electricity. By game console I mean a simple PS4, since the problem also occurred on other devices I can say with certainty that it is not a problem with the console or even with the IEMs, this was confirmed to me by product assistance.

17 hours ago, Thaldor said:

Sembra molto un problema di messa a terra. Stai utilizzando prese con messa a terra e il cablaggio della tua casa è adeguatamente messo a terra?

I thought so too yesterday while searching online. my house should have earthing, however the positive plugs to which I connect the IEMs are two-pole and therefore are not equipped with earthing.

5 hours ago, ShotTequil said:

I thought so too yesterday while searching online. my house should have earthing, however the positive plugs to which I connect the IEMs are two-pole and therefore are not equipped with earthing.

Second thing it could be is just something in the same circuit (behind the same fuse) is "leaking" current. Most likely some fan, old fridge or other thing with AC motor in it. You can check this by just starting to unplug things from the same circuit (I don't know where you live and what's your country's electric wiring standards, here it's usually one fuse per room so usually the problem device is in the same room as your Mac/console/whatever).

Fixing it is then a different thing, either get rid of the device that is probably old, but I guess you have bigger problem with the wiring since anything (by my country's standards) that can leak that much must have some real wiring issues, so get those checked and fixed.

You can isolate your devices with something like surge protectors. If you go this way, do not cheap out, get the APC or some other well known big brand, you definedly do not want any "China Specials" when it comes to these.

If you want to cheap out get one of those China Special "Power Saver" plugs to one of your outlets and make sure if it catches fire, it doesn't burn anything else. Fun thing about these is that while they are complete scams when it comes to saving power and will usually pull more power, but they usually have big capacitor in them which can work as high-pass filter. (Just make sure it cannot burn your house down, thank you.)

13 hours ago, Thaldor said:

Second thing it could be is just something in the same circuit (behind the same fuse) is "leaking" current. Most likely some fan, old fridge or other thing with AC motor in it. You can check this by just starting to unplug things from the same circuit (I don't know where you live and what's your country's electric wiring standards, here it's usually one fuse per room so usually the problem device is in the same room as your Mac/console/whatever).

Fixing it is then a different thing, either get rid of the device that is probably old, but I guess you have bigger problem with the wiring since anything (by my country's standards) that can leak that much must have some real wiring issues, so get those checked and fixed.

You can isolate your devices with something like surge protectors. If you go this way, do not cheap out, get the APC or some other well known big brand, you definedly do not want any "China Specials" when it comes to these.

If you want to cheap out get one of those China Special "Power Saver" plugs to one of your outlets and make sure if it catches fire, it doesn't burn anything else. Fun thing about these is that while they are complete scams when it comes to saving power and will usually pull more power, but they usually have big capacitor in them which can work as high-pass filter. (Just make sure it cannot burn your house down, thank you.)

Hey man, thanks so much for your help, you were very clear, I did some investigations at home and I found many of the things you said. In this case I will try to resolve it with a well-made UPS. Thanks so much again, so many beautiful things!