Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 - The Return of Sound Cards!?

With all the news about AMD, Nvidia, and intel, it is easy to miss the release of Creative's Sound BlasterX AE-5.

29-102-101-V01.jpg

In this age of "good enough" sound quality that comes with most motherboards, you might think there's no longer a place for this.

That's why this Creative has opted to step up its game by adding.... RGB features in Sound BlasterX AE-5!

The Sound BlasterX AE-5 is a SABRE Ultra Class PCIe DAC which is perfect for hi-resolution audio for games, music, and movies. It delivers up to 32-bit 384kHz playback with a 122dB DNR, ultra-low distortion and jitter.

Oh, did I mention it does come with a backplate as well?

Spoiler

29-102-101-V04.jpg

Nah, just kidding, but it looks like a backplate though. Also would look nice in a system with a black and white color scheme.

Even better, if your system has a GPU with black and white stripes -

Spoiler

backplate.png

There is also a "Pure" edition that comes with four LED strips but isn't out yet -

Spoiler

white_edition_v2.jpg

The Sound BlasterX AE-5 also comes in a special white edition. Apart from its pristine white casing, the Pure Edition comes with four LED strips - three more than the standard version - and will be available soon exclusively on Creative.com.

For only $150 you get -

• Industry Leading Audio Processing
  • Updated, refined and perfected through years of being the clear leader in the sound processing field, the AE-5 is featured packed with the latest and greatest version of our award winning audio processing effects and algorithms that improves your music, movie and gaming experience along with crystal clear vocal reproduction and in-game voice communication enhancements that are always imitated but never duplicated
  • Hi-resolution gaming DAC
  • Plays up to 32-bit, 384 KHz high resolution pristine audio with SABRE-class DAC with 122dB dynamic range that satisfies the most demanding needs of pro-gamers and pro-audio users (More resolution means more room for audio processing for compromise signal quality)
  • Xamp, Our custom-designed discrete headphone amplifier
  • A custom-designed, dual-amp headphone amplifier built using discrete components capable of driving studio class headphones of up to 600 ohms

Source: Creative.com, Newegg.com

Heck the RGB alone is worth $150! I'm joking, but this is nice to have.

The rest of the features like sound quality and options are just a bonuses from the RGB card.

But come on, honestly, for $150 you get support for 32-bit/384KHz audio, amp that can power 16-600ohm headphones, 7.1 channels, optical out, and RGB. Add it now to your Holiday PC Build list!

The only thing I don't like about this card is that they printed "PRO-GAMING" on it in all-caps. I bet this would only cost $100 if it wasn't for "PRO-GAMING".

Here's a review from PC World and Tech of Tomorrow -

Spoiler

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

For me it's the software.  Realtek's control panel is complete and utter dog shit and has zero features.  Soundblaster > HT > Dog Shit > Realtek.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

My Sound Blaster Z is doing just fine, and I'm not even sure that I actually need it in the first place. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

How long until we have PCIe add-in cards that just have RGB lights on them and nothing else?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I still have my X-Fi laying around. Can't use it anymore, cause it's PCI not PCIe.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any reason to get a sound card anymore.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

How long until we have PCIe add-in cards that just have RGB lights on them and nothing else?

My 2012 PC had a PCIe card that was just there to house the power circuitry for my LED strip.

12 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I still have my X-Fi laying around. Can't use it anymore, cause it's PCI not PCIe.

Later PCI revisions are PCIe compatible with an adapter.

The early PCI revisions used weird voltages that make them incompatible.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

21 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

.... Thats not a terrible idea man

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

The real problem with internal Sound Cards comes down to the fact it puts the outputs on the back of the case, furtherest from the user. So you either need a really long cables or attach it to the front panel.  First causes a lot of wonky problems for either headphones or most speaker systems, while the latter kills a huge amount of the improved quality.

And, for that cost? Just get a Schitt Stack. (Magni 2 + Modi 2) You'll actually get far more utility for your computer and more direct control.  That's really the problem Soundblaster finds itself in.

Still using my Asus DSX, reason - I got suckered in and bought it without knowing I didn't need it - may as well use it since I got it :P

As for what - I use it for mainly the EQ of the DSX control panel. Won't be getting rid of it anytime soon as my fall back is Realtek which is... yeah...
(Although EqualizerAPO and Peace is a good addon for onboard audio if you don't want to get a dedicated card/dac)

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

19 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Later PCI revisions are PCIe compatible with an adapter.

The early PCI revisions used weird voltages that make them incompatible.

Was thinking of getting a adapter. Mine is probably the early revision cause i got it, during launch. It's the X-Fi Xtreme Music.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/x_fi_xtreme_music_sound_blaster_review,1.html

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

13 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Was thinking of getting a adapter. Mine is probably the early revision cause i got it, during launch. It's the X-Fi Xtreme Music.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/x_fi_xtreme_music_sound_blaster_review,1.html

Think you're good m'dude.  That card is PCI 2.1 according to Creative, this adapter is PCI 2.2:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Adapter-Card-PCI1PEX1/dp/B0024CV3SA?th=1

But google shows PCI 2.1 and PCI 2.2 as compatible with each other, so good shot it would work.

The only way it wouldn't work is if the card requires 5V.  PCI 2.2 was 3.3V, PCI 2.1 supported both 5V and 3.3V with 3.3V being recommended but not required.  Edit: I'm fucking shit up a bit, just read this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/214004-28-interface

I'm still using my Auzentech X-Fi Prelude. I have a preamp hooked up to its SPDIF in, so that's useful for me, though the Creative audio control panel has some awesome features, too.

The drivers have been updated over the years by someone called Daniel Kawakami, on the creative forums as Daniel K, who last released an updated driver package for all the X-Fi Creative cards in January of this year. They can be downloaded from their blog: http://danielkawakami.blogspot.ca/

The classic Creative Labs audio customization tools can be downloaded for use with any Windows audio device from this page: http://www.creative.com/oem/products/software/x-fimb.asp

I haven't tried them out, so I don't know if they are still compatible with modern OSes. The versions that come in the updated drivers I use for my Auzentech Prelude work just fine, though.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

It is surprising it doesn't have Atmos. But yes, sound card are still a nice step up over on board. And you don't need any fancy menchy headphones either to hear the difference. External DAC is a still a better buy, especially that you don't need to worry about bulky drivers, but it adds more clutter to a desk.

Personally, I think it would be cool to have a micro-ITX board with 2x PCIe. One for sound card, and the other for a GPU.

I have the ASUS Xonar STX, and enjoy it very much. I personally prefer ASUS over Creative, due to better driver quality and Windows compatibility. I was burned with Creative Labs in the past (new Windows -> new sound card they were doing). I think they stopped being morons as they saw that people just makes none official drivers hacks (which also runs better, which is funny), and just never buy anymore their products.

No Creative.  Never again.

My onboard sound actually works in Linux.

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

For me it's the software.  Realtek's control panel is complete and utter dog shit and has zero features.  Soundblaster > HT > Dog Shit > Realtek.

Yes it's all software. Their hardware is really nothing special. 

I have a small creative dac for the neat surround feature and equalizer. 

I'm always keen on Creative releasing a new Sound Blaster.  I love my ZxR but tech has moved on a bit since its release.  I won't buy this "Gaming" one, but they'll probably release a studio version in the near future with an even better quality DAC and more inputs/outputs.  Then I'll sign up.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

You wouldn't need this if you're just using your earphones, this is one of the cheapest DAC Amp combos out there that could do 32bit/384KHz.

I wouldn't claim this to be the best, I'm just saying at $150 you don't really have that much options...unless of course some people know what to look for.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you want to do some mental gymastics, you could argue that that's exactly what a GPU is. It's a PCIE card who's sole purposes is to drive a large array of RGB lights. :P

1 hour ago, YoloSwag said:

You wouldn't need this if you're just using your earphones, this is one of the cheapest DAC Amp combos out there that could do 32bit/384KHz.

I wouldn't claim this to be the best, I'm just saying at $150 you don't really have that much options...unless of course some people know what to look for.

to be honest who "need" to do 32bit audio?

Even 24bit music is a niche in a niche. Many audiophiles don't care about anything above 16 bit. Those who do probably will get something serious, not this RGB gaming-branded gadget.

I remember when sound cards used to sound better than onboard. My audigy 2 zs back in the day. These days on modern AM4 mobos etc the onboard audio is very good though.

these days i hear creative doesn't support Linux properly anyway, so would never buy one .

4 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Think you're good m'dude.  That card is PCI 2.1 according to Creative, this adapter is PCI 2.2:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Adapter-Card-PCI1PEX1/dp/B0024CV3SA?th=1

But google shows PCI 2.1 and PCI 2.2 as compatible with each other, so good shot it would work.

The only way it wouldn't work is if the card requires 5V.  PCI 2.2 was 3.3V, PCI 2.1 supported both 5V and 3.3V with 3.3V being recommended but not required.  Edit: I'm fucking shit up a bit, just read this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/214004-28-interface

Now I remember learning about this back in the old days. So I know what you meant. The adapter does support for both 3.3 as well as 5v, so I think that should be good. About them PCI, they're 32bit. Longer ones are 64bit and they're call PCI-X where some call it PCI express. Not to be confused with the modern PCI Express that's abbreviated into PCIe instead of PCI-X.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

In this age of "good enough" sound quality that comes with most motherboards, you might think there's no longer a place for this.

That's why this Creative has opted to step up its game by adding.... RGB features in Sound BlasterX AE-5!

You had me, right until RGB.  That stuff is a cancer on the gaming scene.  Every manufacturer thinks every single piece of equipment needs MORE RGB!  MORE RGB!  MORE COWBELL..err, RGB!

Frankly, I miss having a dedicated sound card in my system, though I can't say  miss it terribly, since my onboard isn't too bad (it even has Sound Blaster software, though I never installed it).

5 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Until I switched to Ryzen, I was still rocking a vanilla Audigy 2.  That card lasted me for over a decade, and the only reason it's no longer in my system is because of a lack of PCI slots.  I ended up leaving it in my old FX system that I sold.