Windows 10 proven to spy on users, regardless of settings or system tweaks.

iwasaperson

I think the issue with the NSA is everywhere, not just windows but osx and Linux too, not to mention all the online services they may or may not have access to.

Well, Linux is open-source, which makes it much more difficult to put backdoors in it for the NSA.

http://falkvinge.net/2013/11/17/nsa-asked-linus-torvalds-to-install-backdoors-into-gnulinux/

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Put this source in the OP @iwasaperson, people will stop bitching about the unreliable source

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

@GoodBytes

Given the nature of these claims, I recommend that this thread be moved to a more suitable location.  Claims made in the OP have not been sufficiently substantiated in order for this to qualify as news.

I have participated enough in these threads. It would be bias of me to manage it. If you really think so, report the thread so that another mod can evaluate your request.

Sorry, but that is the problem of wearing 2 hats. People requested that I do this (user / full expression of my opinion on things, and mod)

Holy crap, batman. 

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

as i have always said

just block the links from the hosts file

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Okay so Ars Technica has validated that yes, Windows 10 will ignore some of the privacy settings and will forcefully send some information back to Microsoft (even going as far as to ignore proxy settings), and Microsoft won't tell us what info is being sent (although we do know they have machine specific IDs being sent along with the data).

You'd have to be a colossal and irrational fanboy to continue to dismiss all the privacy concerns regarding Windows 10 at this point.

Windows 10 is spyware. There is no denying it anymore.

Hopefully Microsoft gets sued or gets flamed by their users over this. This is completely unacceptable.

Well at least I dont have a mic or webcam attached to my desktop, but the Blade does :(

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Yep. And I have to stay for at least another 4 years, too, since I'll be going to Purdue soon. But, once myself and my two siblings are out (my sister's gonna be a junior, and my brother a senior), even my parents are leaving this state. xD

Woo, a Purdue peep. It's a small world after all. The state isn't ALL bad though.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

Okay so Ars Technica has validated that yes, Windows 10 will ignore some of the privacy settings and will forcefully send some information back to Microsoft (even going as far as to ignore proxy settings), and Microsoft won't tell us what info is being sent (although we do know they have machine specific IDs being sent along with the data).

You'd have to be a colossal and irrational fanboy to continue to dismiss all the privacy concerns regarding Windows 10 at this point.

Hopefully Microsoft gets sued or gets flamed by their users over this. This is completely unacceptable.

Yep, there's no denying it now. I wonder what Microsoft's response is gonna be?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Why is this shocking? Samsung smart TV's also spy on you, your phone spys on you... None of this should worry people when they are spamming lots of personal information to EVERYBODY via Facebook/Twitter. Just people being paranoid imo.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Yep, there's no denying it now. I wonder what Microsoft's response is gonna be?

The same response they give to every bad press they get. "It's a feature!"

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Yeah its pretty bullshit

A part of me doesn't care, because I like W10 and don't care too much, but the other half of me is extremely angry that they would do something like this

As you say, its basically spyware but an entire OS based around it

EDIT: to further this, I think its fair enough that an OS makes trade offs in privacy to provide convenient features, for example cloud storage, voice search, password syncing,  - i think if somebody wants to opt out of these things, it should be a simple process, -  if Microsoft are still collecting data you have turned off, that is wrong

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

So then you are a hypocrite, as mentioned, you must not use any Google services, including it's search engine, nor Chrome web browser, and have to drop your Android phone (well any free apps and Google apps in there).

It is either or, not both.

So then you are a hypocrite, as mentioned, you must not use any Google services, including it's search engine, nor Chrome web browser, and have to drop your Android phone (well any free apps and Google apps in there).

While yes, i think that it is true that its someone hypocritical to say that Microsoft and Google are totally different, but when Google was called out on issues with Google Now ignoring settings to not send telemetry data they fixed the issue. Same for when they were storing location data. Same with Apple and Siri, and Apple and their maps.

The issue for me isn't that it is sending data back, its that its sending data back when the user told it not to. And that the only real way to disable it would be to force blocking of the IPs on the router.

I have an expectation of privacy when i disable these actions, and i understand that by disabling cortana some stuff shouldn't work, but i also ASSUME that that should be stopping the data transmissions. They also don't fully define anywhere exactly what data is being sent back and why, which also chaffs me.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

ITT: Linux fanboys as far as the eye can see.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

RIP privacy

Why they gotta do this shit.. Oh I know why, because advertisers and the NSA and GBI pay good money for it

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

What are you on about? How am I a hypocrite exactly?

What are you on about? How am I a hypocrite exactly?

Because you are a hippo crit. 

hippo_crit_by_pixel_excel-d6j72x5.jpg

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

To me this sounds like a thread made to bash Windows 10.

The whole "Linux is superior" vibe just emanates from it. In all honestly I have noticed no background data traffic on my network, I would notice as I have all my devices in my house hooked up to a router capable of monitoring upload/download connections and when my PC is idle no data is being moved. I leave my PC on pretty much all the time, went out the house yesterday to walk the dog and was out of the house for a good hour. Came back to it doing nothing.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

The quoted article cites a very questionable source. These are just claims at this point, as far as I'm concerned. I'm certainly not reformatting with Windows 7 based on this.

I'm no expert on this, but I feel like the level of data collection claimed by the article would use up a very significant percentage of the system's resources: CPU time, memory, upload bandwidth… enough that I think it could have been noticed by even some casual observers ages ago. Yet, as it stands, Windows 10 seems as lean or leaner than 7 or 8.1.

I'm no expert on this, but I feel like the level of data collection claimed by the article would use up a very significant percentage of the system's resources: CPU time, memory, upload bandwidth… enough to be noticed by even some casual observers ages ago. Yet, as it stands, Windows 10 seems as lean or leaner than 7 or 8.1.

That's a interesting quote. Has there been any checks on what Windows 7 or 8/8.1 does? Really hard to believe that Windows 10 'added' a feature of gathering information, yet is still using less resources than their older OS. This could possibly just be a result of paranoia about the new software, yet we still have to realize what the older software has done.

Reminds me of the beginnings of the XBONE. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.