EU carriers plan to block ads, demand money from Google

Arty

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/05/eu-carriers-plan-to-block-ads-demand-money-from-google/

Gotta Start with the title of this post...lmao

just from a logically stand point, what a dick move.

MINISTRY OF INNOVATION / BUSINESS OF TECHNOLOGY

EU carriers plan to block ads, demand money from Google
Blocking scheme arises with net neutrality rules not yet finalized in Europe.

by Jon Brodkin - May 15, 2015 4:42pm EDT
Share Tweet  
Multiple mobile operators in Europe plan to block advertising on their networks, with one of them planning to target Google's ad network to force the company to give up a cut of its ad revenue, according to a report yesterday in the Financial Times.

FURTHER READING

FRANCE’S SECOND-LARGEST ISP SUSPENDS AD BLOCKING FOR NOW
French government intervenes in revenue dispute between Free and Google.
"An executive at a European carrier confirmed that it and several of its peers are planning to start blocking adverts this year," the newspaper reported. "The executive said that the carrier will initially launch an advertising-free service for customers on an opt-in basis. But it is also considering a more radical idea that it calls 'the bomb', which would apply across its entire network of millions of subscribers at once. The idea is to specifically target Google, blocking advertising on its websites in an attempt to force the company into giving up a cut of its revenues."
Blocking ads "just for an hour or a day" might be enough to bring Google to the negotiating table, the executive told the newspaper.

While such a scheme might violate net neutrality rules in the United States, Europe doesn't have anything comprehensive on the books despite years of discussion.

"There are no clear rules on net neutrality today at EU level, leaving 96 percent of Europeans without legal protection for their right to access the full open Internet," the European Commission said.

Google sent a response to Ars, which said, “People pay for mobile internet packages so they can access the apps, video streaming, webmail and other services they love, many of which are funded by ads. Google and other Web companies invest heavily in developing these services—and in the behind-the-scenes infrastructure to deliver them.”

The blocking technology was developed by a company called Shine. "The software prevents most types of advertising from loading in web pages and apps, though it does not interfere with 'in-feed' ads of the kind used by Facebook and Twitter," the Financial Times wrote.

Shine confirmed it is working with a number of mobile operators but declined to identify them, according to the report.

In 2013, the French ISP Free turned on ad-blocking by default but suspended the practice after controversy.

#Google must live, to take us over....

I said it once, and i'll  say it again. EU needs google more than google needs them. Google should pull out of the EU so they can wallow in their stupidity.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

As a french and former free client, I say it's a good thing (well, It's acceptable like people accept to be in constant suveillance thanks to laws like "patriot act" or "loi de programation militaire"),

the ad-full economic system is here a mind blowing pollution where foreign and/or useless ads spread, and needs to be cleaned out. You know, not like what LMG is doing : well integrated, makes sense and targeted.

And damn the software was efficient, no android ads, no web ads, etc... and it limited tracking... I wish other ISPs would propose this: a single point of blocking.

Though, this was a weird approach because they should have known more than anyone alse that this default blocking would rise an uproar...

And I wish EU would rule out for a change in economic system instead of favoring the tracking by private companies of the lives and surfing habits of EU citizens. And here, there are MANY alternatives to google services, only a good change management is needed.

Gaming Laptop :  MSI (worst brand ever in EU) GT70 0NC 48FR - I7 3610QM - 670M 3GB GDDR5 - 12GB 1600MHZ - raid0 2 x 64GB sandisk SSD - 750 Gb Hitachi 7200/min

Galaxy s3 GTI9300 international - Archidroid v2.5.3 (git) - 1600Mhz PegasuQ on ArchiKernel .

I said it once, and i'll  say it again. EU needs google more than google needs them. Google should pull out of the EU so they can wallow in their stupidity.

Maybe if Google bothered paying taxes in the EU, they'd give a shit?

Maybe they prefer Bing instead.

lets see what will the people do if google decided to shut down one of its major parts like youtube or android because they did not have enough money to fund it. EU made a dumb move

lets see what will the people do if google decided to shut down one of its major parts like youtube or android because they did not have enough money to fund it. EU made a dumb move

They have more than enough money to just fund it

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

and i have told you before, thats one of the dumbest things i heard in a long while. they want a cut of there ad revenues not all of them so it will always cost google more to pull out than to pay what they want....seriously common sense  to you posses any?

never gonna happen google make too much, even if you tube isnt a big money earner.

whilst the thought of better ad integration is a good one, this is a dick move and needs to be quashed. its googles money and has jack shit to do with the carriers......double dipping much

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

But it is also considering a more radical idea that it calls 'the bomb', which would apply across its entire network of millions of subscribers at once. The idea is to specifically target Google, blocking advertising on its websites in an attempt to force the company into giving up a cut of its revenues."

Blocking ads "just for an hour or a day" might be enough to bring Google to the negotiating table, the executive told the newspaper.

This is blackmail.  Pure and simple. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yeah I knew this :P look at my status.

Worries me a bit.

EU is going really aggressively in this "tech war" for quite some time. There's really gonna be blood.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

If Google doesn't go pushover mode on this, which they have never done yet, it will be fine.

Its Google does go pushover mode for people though. People can use Youtube with adblock even though that just hurts the platform. They could easily make it so No Ad Delivered => No Video but they don't.

Being the headstrong ass I am obviously Id threaten to Pull Services from there IPs if the ISP dares pull junk like that, Basically force a large page that says your ISP is Forcibly blocking advertisements , Please use a Google VPN or switch your provider to have acsess again.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

EU is going really aggressively in this "tech war" for quite some time. There's really gonna be blood.

This is not the EU doing it though, unlike the other recent news (mandatory USB on phones and such). This is a private company based in a EU country doing it.

Hopefully this will speed up the process of getting net neutrality laws here in EU as well because clearly this shouldn't be legal.

-_- this is not the EU this is carriers in the EU

Why does the EU need google?

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

What a dick move, most websites only means of revenue is from advertisements, there's gonna be a lot of websites that shut down if this does go ahead and goes on for long enough.

This has nothing to do with making google pay tax or protected the carriers users or anything like that, this is pure corporate greed at its worst.

Yes Google should be paying the tax it is supposed to do, but that is something for the respective governments in the EU to figure out, not the parasite carriers, and yes Google has a monopoly, but this is not the way to deal with that either, it's purely greed.

Here's hoping that someone in the EU stops smoking crack long enough to see that this is stupid and puts to rest the idea once and for all.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Well dam, unless google cares enough to stay. The EU going to get screwed if Google leaves and I'm going to watch them beg on their knees for Google to come back (or something of that nature).

Well dam, unless google cares enough to stay. The EU going to get screwed if Google leaves and I'm going to watch them beg on their knees for Google to come back (or something of that nature).

google would loose around a third of its revenue.....and you think the EU would beg google? also if google pulled out of the EU it would leave a massive gap in the market that would allow others to fill by the time google came back they would have lost there dominance, costing them more money. it could even affect them in other regions, companies that filled the gap in the EU would have more money to invest in pushing into America Canada etc..its simply not going to happen

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

OK as much as I don't like ads and have a hate/hate/loveGoogleFibre relationship with Google, that's bullshit.

Is it the EU's turn to be stupid now? Before Christmas last year it was all "US this, US that" now it seems to be the EU's turn... 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

seriously are you stupid? google would loose around a third of its revenue.....and you think the EU would beg google? also if google pulled out of the EU it would leave a massive gap in the market that would allow others to fill by the time google came back they would have lost there dominance, costing them more money. it could even affect them in other regions, companies that filled the gap in the EU would have more money to invest in pushing into America Canada etc..its simply not going to happen

Indeed, perhaps Google leaving the EU would even be a good thing as it would allow another company to become large enough to break the Google monopoly.

Antitrust much? This is carriers using their position in the market to directly block another company's revenue. If Eu went to court over a pre-installed browser this shit should not be happening, and I swear to god if the Eu doesn't do anything...

- snip-

google would loose around a third of its revenue.....and you think the EU would beg google? also if google pulled out of the EU it would leave a massive gap in the market that would allow others to fill by the time google came back they would have lost there dominance, costing them more money. it could even affect them in other regions, companies that filled the gap in the EU would have more money to invest in pushing into America Canada etc..its simply not going to happen

Jezz way to be rude about, last time I check I don't live in Europe let alone know to much of what going on. I was an educated guess base on the info provided. If they lose their ad for Europe it almost like the same thing as them moving out. I fully expect Google to fight before this happens. They still have people info to sell and dig through, but ads make up a good chunk of their revenue.

750 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people, and you think they need an advertising company more than it needs them?  When the people are both the product and the consumer, are you joking?

Not that I agree with the story that was presented.  But I don't understand where your coming from either.