EU carriers plan to block ads, demand money from Google

Arty

Good!  FUCK Google and their fucking adds.

It seems EU is the only one who GETS IT. Rest of you just hate without a single clue about the subject...

Maybe if Google bothered paying taxes in the EU, they'd give a shit?

EU needs Google more than Google needs them so in their best interest to have Goggle pay a fair %.

People are making this about who needs who the most, when that's completly missing the point.

Everyone wants to get a piece of the advertisment cake - specially when the race is going to favor those who have what they call the "big data", leading it is Google and Facebook.

Carriers see this source of revenue and they are not dipping it. The data is passing their gates and they don't get a taste of it.

Be carefull with this. I understand the hate on advertising, mainly due to it's abuses - but put yourself in a unbiased position and look at it as a way for a business to reach out for someone who might have the need/interest to some product or service. Do not fool yourself into thinking that "pfff... if I need I will search it!" because even such results are influenced by a number of key factors.

If carriers will be able to legally filter advertising, they will be able to filter anything under a paywall.

A law should be made to not allow carriers to mix their businesses with other business models such as advertising.

Advertising revenue online is to fund services/content supplied to a viewer/reader/user who is otherwise not paying for the content or service.  Cell providers are being paid by their customers for the data they use and as such, have no right to any advertising revenue that google receives to fund the free products they provide online. 

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

EU needs Google more than Google needs them so in their best interest to have Goggle pay a fair %.

Not entirely sure I get your point. But...

Google do not pay their fair share of Tax in the EU, they aggressively avoid it.

Which was the point of my previous post... Google shouldn't expect too much sympathy from the EU, when a private ISP tries to fuck over their "advertising revenue", because they pay almost no tax on that revenue.

Not that I agree with ad-blocking at ISP level. It's clearly a shake down. And to reiterate what others have said, this article is about the actions of an ISP, it's not the actions of the EU. So going on about who needs who more is completely irrelevant. The EU is a group of countries, Google is a private company.

Guys, like seriously, wth is wrong with you?

1. EU is not a country, and the European Court will not bother with a trivial greedy ISP untill this becomes a real thing.

2. This half assed article is just one huge pile of steaming dump, i love it how this guy says : "Multiple mobile operators in Europe". Not even saying the names of the companies. what their market share is and etc.

3. Do not think even for a second that google is irreplaceable, google is a very strong company, yes, but if they were disappear tomorrow, three new companies would just take it's place. Sure it would have been a rocky start, but we would all survive.

4. This is a case of an ISP being a jerk, you all forget that every company is here to make money, not give free stuff from the goodness of their heart, ISP-s will take every single cent they can get their hands on.

5. As for taxes go, every company loves offshore zones, or better tax havens, EU is not that kind of a place, google can go somewhere else easy, not to mention EU countries would love google more, if google would pay tax, and it is not in google's interest to leave.

6. Before we start a real flame war on this beautiful forum i suggest we wait for a really good article that explains it all...

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Google do not pay their fair share of Tax in the EU, they aggressively avoid it.

You realize they do this around the world right? In North America it is standard practice for huge companies like them to pay very little because of working the systems. Seems like Google is doing just that. 

I said it once, and i'll  say it again. EU needs google more than google needs them. Google should pull out of the EU so they can wallow in their stupidity.

if google pull out of EU bing would have a 5000% incress in users and the rest would use vpns

Guys, like seriously, wth is wrong with you?

1. EU is not a country, and the European Court will not bother with a trivial greedy ISP untill this becomes a real thing.

2. This half assed article is just one huge pile of steaming dump, i love it how this guy says : "Multiple mobile operators in Europe". Not even saying the names of the companies. what their market share is and etc.

3. Do not think even for a second that google is irreplaceable, google is a very strong company, yes, but if they were disappear tomorrow, three new companies would just take it's place. Sure it would have been a rocky start, but we would all survive.

4. This is a case of an ISP being a jerk, you all forget that every company is here to make money, not give free stuff from the goodness of their heart, ISP-s will take every single cent they can get their hands on.

5. As for taxes go, every company loves offshore zones, or better tax havens, EU is not that kind of a place, google can go somewhere else easy, not to mention EU countries would love google more, if google would pay tax, and it is not in google's interest to leave.

6. Before we start a real flame war on this beautiful forum i suggest we wait for a really good article that explains it all...

While I do agree with the core of your argument you aren't entirely correct.

The European Union is a supranational organization composed of various member states, yes. However when it comes to the common market it very much acts like a singular country. Especially when involving industries that operate in several member states you can jump to the European Courts fairly quickly if you believe your rights under the Treaties, directives and other legislation are affected. Likewise various member states(The Netherlands, Ireland and Cyprus come to mind) are very attractive for companies looking to avoid taxes.

In regards to the article itself, as said it is pretty badly written and I somehow doubt this is a widespread thing. Additionally while on a EU level there isn't much in the form of net neutrality law the existing directives may actually already outlaw what these providers want to do and if it doesn't there are other directives which are being violated. I can't really see this becoming a thing.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

You realize they do this around the world right? In North America it is standard practice for huge companies like them to pay very little because of working the systems. Seems like Google is doing just that. 

Did you read my post? I said Google can't expect sympathy from the EU for revenue they don't pay tax on. That is to say, the EU as a "regulator" are unlikely to give a fuck, unless the ISP is doing something illegal, which under EU law they don't seem to be.

I wasn't making a general point about their tax affairs. It was specific to this issue. Yes, I am aware that companies avoid tax the world over. Haha.