Experiences with non-techies

24 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Lmfao that's brutal

Not gonna lie, stung a bit but I know she didn't do it on purpose so I got over it xD

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I run a helpdesk team for a financial institution. We deal with our staff and I've come to realize bank staff, especially tellers are the most technologically illiterate people i have ever worked with. Probably explains why they are full time tellers...

Either way, there are loads of dealing with these people that just are wierd. some oddboll stories. some that defy logic... 

So today's story. Names are not real but used for the sake of the story.

We get a call from a teller at a branch, Mary. Mary is complaining that her fax machine is broken. This confuses us to say the least, so we ask what she's trying to fax and to who. 

Mary informs us that she was trying to fax us in IT to open a new ticket. She was forced to call us because the fax would not go through. 

So I asked what she was trying to fax us. Mary informed us that she received an error on her computer screen, so she needed a ticket to fix the error. So she took a photo of the screenshot. Got that photo printed from her phone. Wrote up a fax and tried to fax it to us.

I had to kindly explain to her that there i nothing wrong with helpdesk, and that we don't have a fax line at all. That's why she couldn't fax helpdesk (what number she was trying is beyond me).

she than proceeded to berate my helpdesk member quite loudly over the phone that we are failing to help her without a fax line and that its our responsibility to have one. 

I had to take over the call to explain to thise user that we would not be getting a fax line for IT, and that it's her responsibility as an employee to learn to use the tools we have provided (such as email) to send us the screenshots and report. She refused and said she'd take it to management. slammed the call on me.

suffice to say... she tried calling management line, which got me anyways, to which I told her if she continues to act in such a manner, HR will be notified.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

A sibling buys a new hard drive after I try to get him to buy a SSD, telling him that the ~100MBs of a HD is going to be terribly slow for his boot drive in comparison to the ~500MBs of a SSD.

He gets back with his new HD and tries to tell me how he saved a ton of money not taking my advice because his new HD says it will perform at 6Gigabytes per second. I try to explain that it's saying it uses the sata 3 6gigabit standard and all he's going to get is about 100MBs.

Failing to listen to me again he tells our mutual friend that is hard drive is going to outperform our friends NVME-SSD.

Needless to say after he left me and that friend had a good laugh. Some people never learn. And worst of all, he claims to be techy.

34 minutes ago, NIneEyeRon said:

I recall helping a guy (with two PHDs) with an issue where his PC was only typing weird characters.

I went up to his desk, moved his textbook off the shift and CTRL keys and fixed his issue.

LOL! Love it!!

2 hours ago, Inversion said:

I had an A6-6400K for my first CPU. All in all not a bad chip but it got replaced by an Athlon X4 860K as soon as I could afford a GPU. I know the 860K isn't that great a chip either but I was only using a GTX 960 so it worked well enough. 

So glad my current setup isn't as much trash. Ryzen 5 1600 and a GTX 1070 are a pretty good match.

I got a 1600 as well, paired with a GTX 780.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

when i was like 8 or 9 i had some kind of hp laptop which had 8gb ram and a 3rd gen i3 with integrated graphics or something like that and i really wanted to play some game, i can't remember what it was. so i googled can my computer run this game and it basically told me everything except my ram sucked. And because i didn't know how those things worked back then i went up on the internet and searched 'install better processor and graphics chip' as they were the things that website told be needed to be upgraded. I ended up with about 50 viruses and driver updater  programs after than and still couldn't understand why the game didn't work and that my computer had like 5 popups every minute.

4 years later i gave the laptop to my dad after wiping everything and he got angry because windows took to long to load. Then he ended up with his fist through the display...

20 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I've had Phenom II CPUs and one Core i5 750 CPU

"had" there is an i5 750 currently in the same room as me :D

22 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

"You know, your headphones leak sound so much that not only did I hear your music from the bathroom, I was also able to tell that you were listening to Lindsey Stirling"

good music choice! did you see the grinch one with sabrina carter?

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

4 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

good music choice! did you see the grinch one with sabrina carter?

I haven't seen it, it's very nice. I really like the "Take Flight" track beause it has some parts where you feel like the music is drilling into your skull, esp. on good headphones,

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

19 hours ago, Schnoz said:

my 1060 can boost to 2400 MHz no joke

2400 MHz is your memory not GPU core lol. You can see from the userbenchmark thing it says CLim (which I'm assuming is the core clock speed) is more around 2100

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 hours ago, Koeshi said:

"had" there is an i5 750 currently in the same room as me :D

I have one currently somewhere in storage. Bad choice of words on my part. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

21 hours ago, Schnoz said:

For the Intel fanboys out there who don't know about this, second-gen CPUs will work on first-gen mobos with a BIOS update

Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge, Haswell/Devil's Canyon, Skylake/Kaby Lake, and Coffee Lake/9th Gen will all work in this fashion as well. It's not exclusive to AMD.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

My mom keeps calling her Ipad Pro (first gen i think) a computer and it hurts everytime she does that

College student getting his Information Systems Degree, Furry, Gamer, Amateur Poet

Luna

Intel Core i9 7940x, Custom Water Loop, EVGA x299 Micro, 4x8 GB kit of Gskill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000, Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti, 3 Tb's of SSD storage, 5TB HDD, 850 Watt EVGA Supernova g3, all inside a black and purple r1 from Parvum Systems

Laptops:

Anubis: Powerspec 1510 (sager NP8157)

Lucario: Razer Blade Stealth v4 (base model) this is my daily driver

I was helping my neighbor pair a bluetooth speaker and I asked her about an old Macbook Air she had laying on a wicker basket on her patio (yep, just laying there).

I asked her if she had issues with it running hot, and if she wanted my Macbook Pro as a trade (she didnt care about the Air, I wanted something lighter than my old Pro).

Her response was, word for word, "Oh no, Macbooks don't overheat. They have cooling fans."

This was the day Linus reviewed the Core i9 macbook. I just chuckled and changed topics.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

5 hours ago, Shodapop98 said:

My mom keeps calling her Ipad Pro (first gen i think) a computer and it hurts everytime she does that

Technically, she's not wrong. Technically an abacus is considered a computer. It computes things.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

6 hours ago, Shodapop98 said:

Could you please tell me whats a computer? I wouldn't know

2 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Could you please tell me whats a computer? I wouldn't know

plug in "computer definition" (without the quotes) into your favorite search engine to get the complete answer. But, in a nutshell, anything that computes is a computer, including an iPad.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I've got an uncle that once asked me to have a look into his - VERY old - PC because he thought someone hacked into it and infected with nasty viruses.

To think someone would go into the trouble to hack his PC was ludicrous on its own but when he said it happened when the whole family was away and his PC was turned off I just face-palmed myself so hard it almost hurt lol

19 minutes ago, caincha said:

I've got an uncle that once asked me to have a look into his - VERY old - PC because he thought someone hacked into it and infected with nasty viruses.

To think someone would go into the trouble to hack his PC was ludicrous on its own but when he said it happened when the whole family was away and his PC was turned off I just face-palmed myself so hard it almost hurt lol

lol yeah....

Don't ya know.... Hackers are the no1 cause of BSODs, Browser Nasties & All Round Bad Human Behavior.
We can recognize some people think a BSOD from over-heating a dirty system means they got hacked by one of the Random Guys or Gals who friend requested them on Facebook. ?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

11 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Maybe my laptop doesn't overheat anymore cuz it's got a kewling phan.

As in it's an 8000 RPM jet engine, I added two more heatpipes, and I used graphite thermal pads everywhere.

Yep.

Chuck an RB211 in there. 420/69 cooling performance.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 1/16/2013 at 7:23 PM, Boosted_i6 said:

Them - "hey I need advice on buying a computer"

Me - "sure id be happy to help you pick something out or ill build a great computer for you"

*week later*

Them - "yeah, i just decided to buy a computer from Best Buy"

Me "......................."

This right here is what i experience every time my family complains they want a new computer, except worse they go to Walmart. 

This one time back in 2017 or so I came across a guy who was looking to make a new PC. He had given me a .txt file of his "dream parts list" and it wasn't even formatted right. He had the names of everything though and model numbers and all that. He had a H110M motherboard paired witha 1700x. That paired with a GTX 1050 TI and 32 GB RAM. I kinda just stopped talking to him at that point. 

2 minutes ago, Lil Ramen said:

This one time back in 2017 or so I came across a guy who was looking to make a new PC. He had given me a .txt file of his "dream parts list" and it wasn't even formatted right. He had the names of everything though and model numbers and all that. He had a H110M motherboard paired witha 1700x. That paired with a GTX 1050 TI and 32 GB RAM. I kinda just stopped talking to him at that point. 

I can relate, one of my friends asked me to come look at his new pc he built because his CPU wouldn’t fit right, so I looked at it and he was trying to put an AMD cpu in an INTEL motherboard

he also tried to use laptop ram on the desktop motherboard 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

this conversation happened between my mom and me just before christmas. she was doing some last minute shopping and asked me for a recommendation for my uncle. he like to take pictures and goes on a trip at least once every 3 months and already has a dslr so i told my mom to get him the ryze tello as it is relatively cheap that captures fairly decent pictures/videos. i then told her that he would only need a mobile phone to connect with it via wifi. then my mom thought it was a great idea because they will have a trip back to the philippines and would be perfect to capture aerial shots but she is worried that it might not work there because the place they are going to does not have wifi. i then told my mom that it does not matter because the phone will directly connect to the drone via wifi. she then reiterated that the place is a bit remote with no/poor internet. this went on for probably 5-10mins before my mom understood that wifi and internet are totally different things. i had to use a bluetooth pairing analogy which thank god i had just explained to her a few weeks before. ?