Experiences with non-techies

17 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

when i worked at staples we had the customer turn on and use the device and make sure it was fixed, then they signed that it was properly fixed with no issues before they took it back out of the store

That's a good system to have.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Been playing PC games for my entire life.  Been fiddling inside PC cases for 18 years.  Built my first PC 12 or so years ago, and have built around 50 since.  Have fixed co-workers and friends PCs to the tune of maybe...100 since Ive been a PC guy.

They are all amazed, as if its magic.  To me its the same as a car engine.  A mechanic takes one look at a motor and knows what hes looking at.  A person with no background looks at it and it scares them. 

I think the worst I have had was putting together a PC for a friend at his house when he was present.  His thoughts were all the pcs are made of glass (in terms of fragility) etc and he was so frazzled, thought things would just break etc.  It was extremely annoying and took twice as long as it should because of his presence so I no longer work on PC's when people are around.  Unless they know what they are talking about lol.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

4 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

His thoughts were all the pcs are made of glass (in terms of fragility) etc and he was so frazzled, thought things would just break etc.

Don't screw down too hard on the motherboard, or you could crack it...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Monkey tight, not gorilla tight! lol

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

but screw with confidence

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Just now, Jtalk4456 said:

screw with confidence

You call?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Fixed a guys AIO once, he put the copper plate directly on the cpu (no paste) and tightened it down so hard that when I took it off, the copper was SCORED at all 4 corners of the CPU.  I couldn't believe it.  Put paste on (enough to fill the imperfections he introduced) and it worked, I was surprised even the CPU corners looks slightly bowed.

I just had an issue today with a new customer... god so help me here:

Customer comes in says he has an iMac that does't boot and it has a B-Tree catalog file error and cannot repaired. I tell him we can take a look at it and see if the file system is damaged and if it is possible to repair. Otherwise, we can replace the drive and attempt to recover the data from the old drive. 

The guy kept going around in circles going back to the B-Tree catalog error and would not get off of it. Ever talk to someone burnt out from so many drugs? Yeah, that was basically how this guy was. It was basically 15 minutes going in circles before he finally got to BRING THE COMPUTER IN AND HAVE US LOOK AT IT!

So Infuriating. It took all the patience I had to not snap tell him he is wasting my time and go somewhere else. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

2 hours ago, Lord Xeb said:

I just had an issue today with a new customer... god so help me here:

Customer comes in says he has an iMac that does't boot and it has a B-Tree catalog file error and cannot repaired. I tell him we can take a look at it and see if the file system is damaged and if it is possible to repair. Otherwise, we can replace the drive and attempt to recover the data from the old drive. 

The guy kept going around in circles going back to the B-Tree catalog error and would not get off of it. Ever talk to someone burnt out from so many drugs? Yeah, that was basically how this guy was. It was basically 15 minutes going in circles before he finally got to BRING THE COMPUTER IN AND HAVE US LOOK AT IT!

So Infuriating. It took all the patience I had to not snap tell him he is wasting my time and go somewhere else. 

I worked 5 1/2 years in retail ( a convenience store chain, also known as the cesspool of retail) after I retired from the company I had worked at for 32 years (and get a pension and my Medical coverage from). My already low opinion of the public's average intelligence plummeted even lower during that time. The 2016 election dropped it lower still.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 6/9/2018 at 8:44 AM, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

a very large snip

that last guy needs to see apples own tests showing how the iphone 6's shell didnt meet their own standards, but they released it anyways

i like trains 🙂

39 minutes ago, teddy9264 said:

My mum double clicks on a email so it opens in a new window, I get so trigged when I see her doing that.

I do that on purpose sometimes. I do also have multiple monitors and sometimes I need to drag things from one window to another depending on how many simultaneous things I'm working on. Also, sometimes I want to keep one e-mail open while writing another one so I have to pop a window out somewhere.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

everybody i see double clicks on links ? it just annoys me idk why.. also they spend like, 10 minutes click and dragging to select everything in a text only file.. when i tell them you can press ctrl A they dont do it ? 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

On 10/4/2018 at 3:02 AM, Supportsneedlove said:

Capslock is only really useful when you have to write numbers and capitalized letters. 

yeah. mostly for that has like xbox gift cards or something like that 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

10 hours ago, GilmourD said:

I do that on purpose sometimes. I do also have multiple monitors and sometimes I need to drag things from one window to another depending on how many simultaneous things I'm working on. Also, sometimes I want to keep one e-mail open while writing another one so I have to pop a window out somewhere.

But my mum doesn’t have two monitors

I'd say something about this. 

But I can't. 

SmartSelect_20181006-103313_Chrome.jpg

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I'd say something about this. 

But I can't. 

SmartSelect_20181006-103313_Chrome.jpg

i dont want that to not be a troll

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 10/6/2018 at 2:29 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

i dont want that to not be a troll

Sadly no

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

My friends parents bought her a $1000 laptop with a dual core and an r7 240 (or something similar I dont know exactly) and her claiming that its the most kick butt laptop out there just because of the price... I got a used lapotop for $150 with a quad core, worse graphics,(nvs 5200m) but good enough to play csgo and 90 fps, gta at 50 all low on both, 1368x768 native resolution of laptop... It only set me back $150? there are so many better choices at the thousand dollar range, probably things cheaper too..

5 minutes ago, atomburst said:

My friends parents bought her a $1000 laptop with a dual core and an r7 240 (or something similar I dont know exactly) and her claiming that its the most kick butt laptop out there just because of the price... I got a used lapotop for $150 with a quad core, worse graphics,(nvs 5200m) but good enough to play csgo and 90 fps, gta at 50 all low on both, 1368x768 native resolution of laptop... It only set me back $150? there are so many better choices at the thousand dollar range, probably things cheaper too..

I know these ppl

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

I know these ppl

"if I blindly spend more, ill get more!"

6 minutes ago, atomburst said:

how the {BLEEEEP} did they spend 1000 on a dual core????!!!!

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

5 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Costco, for one thing. Two, ive noticed the more I learn about pcs how often compainies use ignorance for profit. They really have no idea, just saw it was thin with a big screen. Btw my friend claims it was 1000 but i have my suspiscions. Ive talked about it with their parents after and they did however imply that it was close to that price range which just... hurts. The kind of laptop I could get for $1000 would blow that thing out of the water. You can find used 1060 laptops on ebay for less than that, and get a quad core with and ssd even. Its ridiculous but its been almost two or three years now, way to late to return.

Edit: IT dosent even turbo that high either, only up to lke 2.8 or so, but I could be wrong about that too. I know that it wont go past 3 which is just, yikes.

9 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

It's called macbook 

OR

They just don't know computers. 

Sudo make me a sandwich