Experiences with non-techies

31 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

interesting... even industrial craft and other mods?

If there is a way to make the required blocks, yes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

A friend of mine thought that thermal paste was a kind of acne medication.  
Needless to say, it could yield some interesting results on one's face. 

"Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?"
-Discord

9 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Alright, so that rich guy I told you about earlier who fried his PC. So I recommended another new build for him (reluctantly) after he nagged me on social media and at school for two days straight. It was an RTX 2080 Ti and a 9900K, the classic enthusiast setup. So he actually did some research, and found that the 9900K runs extremely hot, and I told him to get a beefy NH-D15. He thought the two fans included were trash due to their looks, and I told him to shaddap, since it was one hell of a cooler. On another IG live stream (which I forgot to record again because I don't know where the record button is :( )The motherboard and graphics card go in "properly" (he missed a few mobo screws and forgot to connect the GPU power cables), but that was the end of luck. The RAM went in the wrong way. He saw the notch in the 32 GB sticks and saw the notch in the motherboard, and had a FRICKIN GENIUS idea: Use an excessive amount of force and they'll stick even in the wrong orientation! :D So some motherboard abuse later, the sticks were in. Also, the CPU was rotated 90 degrees the wrong way and we could hear the pins bending when he locked it. So he uses the entire goddamn tube of Kryonaut on the CPU and slaps the cooler on. Then, he's like "Watch the comeback of the YEAR boiz!!" and turns the desktop onto its feet. 

However, he didn't screw the CPU cooler in and it fell on the GPU and bounced onto the motherboard. Knocked half the components off each. Facepalm.

I feel like this is too dumb to be a true story but I also live for the narrative either way ?

15 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Alright, so that rich guy I told you about earlier who fried his PC. So I recommended another new build for him (reluctantly) after he nagged me on social media and at school for two days straight. It was an RTX 2080 Ti and a 9900K, the classic enthusiast setup. So he actually did some research, and found that the 9900K runs extremely hot, and I told him to get a beefy NH-D15. He thought the two fans included were trash due to their looks, and I told him to shaddap, since it was one hell of a cooler. On another IG live stream (which I forgot to record again because I don't know where the record button is :( )The motherboard and graphics card go in "properly" (he missed a few mobo screws and forgot to connect the GPU power cables), but that was the end of luck. The RAM went in the wrong way. He saw the notch in the 32 GB sticks and saw the notch in the motherboard, and had a FRICKIN GENIUS idea: Use an excessive amount of force and they'll stick even in the wrong orientation! :D So some motherboard abuse later, the sticks were in. Also, the CPU was rotated 90 degrees the wrong way and we could hear the pins bending when he locked it. So he uses the entire goddamn tube of Kryonaut on the CPU and slaps the cooler on. Then, he's like "Watch the comeback of the YEAR boiz!!" and turns the desktop onto its feet. 

However, he didn't screw the CPU cooler in and it fell on the GPU and bounced onto the motherboard. Knocked half the components off each. Facepalm.

Is one of the builders from Verge?

19 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Can we please just straight out ban these dumb-asses from tech ? I mean, the components also have feelings and they are much more important to me than from a stupid idiot. 
Sorry for the curse but that had to be said.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

13 minutes ago, Ergroilnin said:

Is one of the builders from Verge?

He's a fucking idiot but you don't need to insult him that much.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

These 2 guys were talking during lunch and one of starting saying “ BRo remember when he hacked the WiFi and shut it down?” Other guy “ yea bro” and I proceeded to ask them what they did.... “we got on the terminal and we wrote a command and it showed us everything we can do, it had disconnect WiFi and t shut down the WiFi for everybody” other guy replies “we hacked the ip bro we shut everything down” I replied “ you do realize that only for your computer and not the whole school?” They reply “nahhhh bro we hacked the ip and shut it down I did something like /c c/ (?????¿¿) I don’t remember but it shut it down” this is the last time I ever bother listening to people about “hacking”

11 minutes ago, Juniiii said:

These 2 guys were talking during lunch and one of starting saying “ BRo remember when he hacked the WiFi and shut it down?” Other guy “ yea bro” and I proceeded to ask them what they did.... “we got on the terminal and we wrote a command and it showed us everything we can do, it had disconnect WiFi and t shut down the WiFi for everybody” other guy replies “we hacked the ip bro we shut everything down” I replied “ you do realize that only for your computer and not the whole school?” They reply “nahhhh bro we hacked the ip and shut it down I did something like /c c/ (?????¿¿) I don’t remember but it shut it down” this is the last time I ever bother listening to people about “hacking”

Kids thinking cmd is "hacking" is dumb but hilarious to watch.

I had one kid a while ago try to convince me that he was hacking his own computer as he used cmd to go through the various file directories....

As if I had no experience with cmd at all(let alone my experience with running things from Terminal on Linux), and couldn't clearly tell what he was really doing.

Also, why would you have to "hack" your own computer...?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I had one kid a while ago try to convince me that he was hacking his own computer as he used cmd to go through the various file directories....

As if I had no experience with cmd at all(let alone my experience with running things from Terminal on Linux), and couldn't clearly tell what he was really doing.

those are the kids that also panic when you pull out powershell lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

those are the kids that also panic when you pull out powershell lol

I've never had to use powershell, usually cmd or terminal gets whatever I need to do done without a hitch(except that weird time I couldn't format a drive to MBR in cmd, but I got there via diskmgmt).

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Ohh yea I remember a time when I was using cmd to create my own access point so I could get WiFi on my phone, weird situation but anyways my teacher saw my screen and reported me to the school for “hacking” and said I was accessing p0rn and they asked my dad to pay a fine. We went to court against it and I literally showed them exactly what I was doing, we prove her wrong. All that because I was trynna get some WiFi and I had a very naïve teacher

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've never had to use powershell, usually cmd or terminal gets whatever I need to do done without a hitch(except that weird time I couldn't format a drive to MBR in cmd, but I got there via diskmgmt).

That’s probably the only other time I’d use cmd to format my drives to MBR when I get the drives out of laptops.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

i use it for bragging rights ? but honestly mostly just because i prefer the commands a litte. ls instead of dir and so on, soooo much nicer to me

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Juniiii said:

Ohh yea I remember a time when I was using cmd to create my own access point so I could get WiFi on my phone, weird situation but anyways my teacher saw my screen and reported me to the school for “hacking” and said I was accessing p0rn and they asked my dad to pay a fine. We went to court against it and I literally showed them exactly what I was doing, we prove her wrong. All that because I was trynna get some WiFi and I had a very naïve teacher

I think the most technical thing I did in school that made people flip out was go into the Intel Display Settings and enable Landscape(flipped)....

Most of those kids knew nothing about tech, so I never really had to try to make them flip out much.

1 minute ago, Juniiii said:

That’s probably the only other time I’d use cmd to format my drives to MBR when I get the drives out of laptops.

I use it to check my Java installations because why not.

I've used Terminal a lot more than cmd, though. I remember when I had a hackerman moment while navigating through the directories to launch Minecraft....good times. I still prefer Windows, though.

10 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

can confirm I've done that before. with 3 cmd commands, but still

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

can confirm I've done that before. with 3 cmd commands, but still

There was no reason to "hack" this computer, too.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I think the most technical thing I did in school that made people flip out was go into the Intel Display Settings and enable Landscape(flipped)....

Most of those kids knew nothing about tech, so I never really had to try to make them flip out much.

you could do that with keyboard shortcuts on the school laptops we had in middleschool and if you spammed it enough the screen would keep spinning for a good 10 minutes xD

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

There was no reason to "hack" this computer, too.

i know... i just wanted to say that it is possible to "hack" with it. but tree isn't a way of hacking...

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you could do that with keyboard shortcuts on the school laptops we had in middleschool and if you spammed it enough the screen would keep spinning for a good 10 minutes xD

I also screwed with the color settings a bit. The best part was, the computer I was using was hooked up to a TV and I was screwing with the TV, not the laptop's display.

So they just thought the TV was acting up.

1 minute ago, Gino Motyka said:

So I work IT and a fairly large company +10,000 employes and this was one of my first tickets I had to respond to..... He was still using it1332861904_MeltingCase.jpg.6ea569b51cfc6a038452f4f8bdfd848c.jpg

... what the hell

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Gino Motyka said:

So I work IT and a fairly large company +10,000 employes and this was one of my first tickets I had to respond to..... He was still using it1332861904_MeltingCase.jpg.6ea569b51cfc6a038452f4f8bdfd848c.jpg

Spoiler

image.png.9105ba30da27bbf2a7610ebdb4147373.png

4 minutes ago, Gino Motyka said:

Spoiler

cbe012650851cab598a6c0cd78ee65bb.gif.9706c57b68302ebcdb8b42a28644728d.gif

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

... what the hell

for some reason we have a history of computers catching fire, A end user came down with a computer that wouldn't turn on and when i opened the bottom a small puff of smoke came out and my coworker locked eyes with me and was like WTF?