Experiences with non-techies

2 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Eh in hindsight my first ever PC was a bit of a mistake, i ended up replacing so much of it within the first year. I think we all have a "wee booped up" story somwhere.

Yep. Glad I’m past that phase now.

it's time

To be fair the bulk of the issue was that i hadn't realised ti was a custom form factor PSU/MB with no AGP slot so when i wanted to upgrade the GPU capabilities i had to do a full replace of the case, MB, and PSU to do it. I'd known all along i was going to have to add dedicated graphics and some more ram. But doing so basically meant i threw away everything but the CPU and HDD.

One time in a tech shop I tell the people if this pc is gonna work (I didn't know that site called pcpartpicker) anyways the guy tells me that a z370 motherboard won't work with i5-8400...I laughed so hard then! :DDDD

7 hours ago, RollTime said:

I helped out my grandmother with a pc problem recently. Just to be clear, I love my grand mother dearly; she’s wonderful. However, tech is not her strong point. Case in point, I ask her to go to teamviewer.com and download the software so I can help her remotely. She can’t hear me over the phone, so I text her the url. She’s having some trouble visiting the page, so I FaceTime her to see what the issue is. I find out she’s typed the title of the page into her AOL search bar, because that’s what iOS shows in bigger text when you send someone a link. I get her straightened out about what to type in, but she’s still not on the page. I FaceTime her again and find she’s AOL searched for teamviewer.com instead of putting it in the URL bar. Upon further discussion I discover she doesn’t know what the URL bar is, she just searches from her homepage. Long story short, I ended up walking her through the problem over FaceTime. But at least it’s fixed. 

The real issue here is that she's using AOL

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

9 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Eh in hindsight my first ever PC was a bit of a mistake, i ended up replacing so much of it within the first year. I think we all have a "wee booped up" story somwhere.

I had an A6-5400K for my first CPU. It worked well for a bit, but man was that a mistake...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

15 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I had an A6-5400K for my first CPU. It worked well for a bit, but man was that a mistake...

WOuld still have destroyed my first ever system, but it was waaaay older, (and using an equally budget Pentium 4 era 1.7ghz Celeron, was in 2001).

3 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

WOuld still have destroyed my first ever system, but it was waaaay older, (and using an equally budget Pentium 4 era 1.7ghz Celeron, was in 2001).

I've got a P4 floating around my house somewhere...

Just took delivery of a mobile Celeron-based Windows XP brick as well.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Just took delivery of a mobile Celeron-based Windows XP brick as well.

*Smiles fondly*. Still using the keyboard actually.

Also love the choice of avatar. *headpats*

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Lord, you make me feel old...

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

51 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

Would telling you my first computer was a Commodore 64 when I was in my early forties make you feel younger?

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Just now, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Would telling you my first computer was a Commodore 64 when I was in my early forties make you feel younger?

My first computer was an XT clone with an 8088-2 in 1988, so not THAT far behind ya in technology, although I was only 8. My first build was a Cyrix 6x86-166 for my brother while I was rocking some HP with a Pentium 166. 

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

On 11/13/2018 at 9:20 PM, CarlBar said:

Heard PEBKAC, but never PICNIC, translation please?

PICNIC = Problem In Chair Not In Computer

On 11/14/2018 at 9:45 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

i have like 20 something of them...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just a quick one to add to the others who have mentioned tales from at work.

Had a user report that Skype for Business wouldn't log in on their new laptop.  So I ask them to show me the issue.  They open SfB and immediately start clicking Sign In.  Had to point out that as the laptop was new they had to enter their username the first time otherwise it wouldn't know who to log in as :)

It's frustrating to see people who are studying graduate level CS and don't know how to clean install windows. I mean even if they didn't get a chance to do it, you should try it by yourself.

40 minutes ago, cbhhargava said:

It's frustrating to see people who are studying graduate level CS and don't know how to clean install windows. I mean even if they didn't get a chance to do it, you should try it by yourself.

never seen graduates who haven't installed windows...

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

2 hours ago, cbhhargava said:

Why should I try something because someone else didn't get a chance?

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 11/14/2018 at 2:36 PM, GilmourD said:

My first computer was an XT clone with an 8088-2 in 1988, so not THAT far behind ya in technology, although I was only 8. My first build was a Cyrix 6x86-166 for my brother while I was rocking some HP with a Pentium 166. 

I remember getting a computer with a 200MHz processor and damn that was amazing.

Came back from a YouTube comments thread (yes, that place) where someone said the Kirin 980 can “retain over 90% of its performance over 18 months than the SD845”

No, just no. That’s not how modern processors work.....

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

14 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Came back from a YouTube comments thread (yes, that place) where someone said the Kirin 980 can “retain over 90% of its performance over 18 months than the SD845”

No, just no. That’s not how modern processors work.....

What is that even supposed to mean?

• 1 month later...

So here is one for you, about audio tech - a situation literally from yesterday. No bashing, just humorous accidental disrespect :D

Quick background: my girlfriend is very casual about tech. It's just not her thing. She has no idea what hardware sits in a computer, what is considered high quality and more importantly, how much stuff costs. Now, I don't lie to her about the cost of my hobby but I never volunteer the information. She just never asks and doesn't seem to care. It's fine since I have no idea how much the stuff she buys costs as well.

Main event: the evening. I'm playing with some music while she goes to the bathroom and suddenly she opens the door and says this to me:

"You know, your headphones leak sound so much that not only did I hear your music from the bathroom, I was also able to tell that you were listening to Lindsey Stirling"

I look at her sheepishly and turn the volume knob down - admittedly, she was out of town for a couple of days for holidays so being the only one in the apartment, I was listening to my music liberally and perhaps on the louder side. It's entirely possible that it was too loud. Also, I started the track before I put my headphones on so it's possibly she picked it up louder than it really was supposed to be.

But she is not done.

"Maybe you should consider changing those crappy headphones for something better that will not leak sound?"

And there I was, mouth ajar, looking at my $4000 MSRP Focals, looking at my GF, torn between telling her the truth about what kind of gear this is and just suffering in silence. Ultimately, she didn't give me any chance to respond because she went back to the bathroom and later we didn't bring that up at all :D

Apparently I will have to explain the difference between closed and open headphones because she is genuinely convinced that because she can hear my music it must mean that my headphones are poor quality.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

On 1/17/2013 at 7:17 AM, gliliumho said:
cxz said:
I don't really have an example except that when I go to the apple store with my gf, because her phone broke again, I would look around for the noobie and mess with him/her. I would also like to add that I do not think some of the employees should be called geniuses lol. Anyone else enjoy doing this?

Me too. When I see someone says they're good at computers and so on, then I would spit out some stuff that I don't expect them to know. They would just go "Err.....never heard of it."

Usually when someone does that to me I just smile and think they are idiots since people that really know their stuff are not show offs.

1 hour ago, Lathlaer said:

And there I was, mouth ajar, looking at my $4000 MSRP Focals, looking at my GF, torn between telling her the truth about what kind of gear this is and just suffering in silence. 

Lmfao that's brutal

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 11/14/2018 at 4:37 PM, GilmourD said:

I've had Phenom II CPUs and one Core i5 750 CPU.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 11/14/2018 at 8:26 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I had an A6-6400K for my first CPU. All in all not a bad chip but it got replaced by an Athlon X4 860K as soon as I could afford a GPU. I know the 860K isn't that great a chip either but I was only using a GTX 960 so it worked well enough. 

So glad my current setup isn't as much trash. Ryzen 5 1600 and a GTX 1070 are a pretty good match.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||