Experiences with non-techies

No one in my family is a techie which makes things incredibly difficult since my grandparents house is run ENTIRELY by personal servers they had installed. I have many family stories but I have an interesting one regarding the shitty tech support service our exec director hired to do all of our network management. Let me just preface this by saying, I am by no means a networking guru but I understand the basics. So in my office I have 2 computers, my main desktop that someone fucked up by adding skins/useless software that dragged the systems poor i5 4000 series CPU immensely and a touch screen AIO that I used for minor graphical design(I work in politics so I make political advertisements, not going to say who I work for but I'm important to the operation somewhat). Anyways, the AIO disconnected from our network and would not connect. TL;DR someone setup a static IP on it and my phone, randomly addressed itself the IP somehow. I knew this a little while into trouble shooting but because I was forced to be on the phone with Tech support I had to follow their trouble shooting steps, running useless IP commands, checking the patch box etc. etc.(they thought our router was dying sigh). Any who, I checked the settings, IP was static changed to dynamic and bippity boppity boop we're back up and running. 

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

i used to. but that's because there just wasn't fiber there. now i got my father to get 500/500

Didn't I ban you for bragging about your internet in the banning game?

The only person I can even relate to is my uncle, who has a 1080 Ti, 8700k, and 32 GB of RAM

3 minutes ago, hiitswilliam said:

The only person I can even relate to is my uncle, who has a 1080 Ti, 8700k, and 32 GB of RAM

What's wrong with that?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

25 minutes ago, Gino Motyka said:

To teach New employees to lock their computers when we see one that's not locked with no one around we "PONY" them. We make the background image My Little Ponies and the rule is is you have to leave it there for a week no matter if you have an important meeting. It teaches them really fast...

so at my work we do it a bit different. It depends on who catches you. I will change the background to something just Anime suggestive enough to embarrass them but not enough to get them in trouble. or Dio saying "you thought it was your background, but it's me DIO!"

Some people will change background & flip the screen.

Cory and Taylor will email the boss on your behalf saying "Can I have my two weeks notice plz?" and put #lockyourscreen in the subject. And the Boss will play along, and for a whole day you can't look straight at any of them XD

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

so at my work we do it a bit different. It depends on who catches you. I will change the background to something just Anime suggestive enough to embarrass them but not enough to get them in trouble. or Dio saying "you thought it was your background, but it's me DIO!"

Cory and Taylor will email the boss on your behalf saying "Can I have my two weeks notice plz?" and put #lockyourscreen in the subject. And the Boss will play along, and for a whole day you can't look straight at any of them XD

I've got some really good images that I can use for office pranks such as that...

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

My history teacher has a Apple TV, well the entire school has one, anyways, we were put in  another classroom due to testing and he was trying to hook up his Mac to the appletv to the “smart board” now the board has 0 speakers, and he was convinced he was doing it wrong because there is no sound, I tried explaining that there will never be sound if he doesn’t have any speakers, spent an hour and 20 mins ( we have 1 hour and 30 min classes ) trying to fix it until I got my speaker out hooked it up to the board and it worked. Then he tried to convince me that he fixed it and as soon as I put the speaker in it switched to the speaker, and I unplugged and we start again on him trying to fix it. I leave the room and saying these exact words “ I’m not gonna have a fucking retard try to teach me, HES soo fucking ignorant fuck this.” 3 day suspension well worth my time

Ughh.. I hate the word "hacking". Today in school I used my free in between lesson for starting out on my Project, I'm gone be creating a Puzzle App in the LiveCode environment and first of all I did some tutorials and also listend to music on Spotify, and then a kid walked by and glared at my screen and instantly saw me typing in some basic commands for a little "To Do List" Application and he was like: DUDE, ya hacking ?  

Me: *taking out in-Ear*, Sorry ?

Him:  Are you hacking the sh*t ?

Me:  *Cringes hard inside* Nah, I'm programming

Him:  *Flips out hard* 

Me:   *Facepalms and puts In-Ear back in*

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've got some really good images that I can use for office pranks such as that...

yeah i've got a nice little folder of them. The best part is i'm sneaky

I once got Bryan while he was in the cube

he was leaning over the cube wall to talk to someone and I changed it and got back to my cube before I heard him say "goddamn it Jacob!"

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

2 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Before I started to work here people used to do like you said with the email, It got really bad to where they were emailing the CEO.... so that was a hard stop. when you do it to people in your building its okay everyone knows, but when you have 53 different locations where there not all in the joke things get dark quick. 

he was leaning over the cube wall to talk to someone and I changed it and got back to my cube before I heard him say "goddamn it Jacob!"

I'll have to keep an eye on you, who knows when you'll start changing mine...

This is what I've been doing lately since a ex-coworker got in some trouble in russia for spying and everyone's like freaking out that he was using our systems to. :) 

975035360_yayyyy(2).JPG.d54788b1cc7723c707a4d497b3ad4cdb.JPG

1 minute ago, Gino Motyka said:

This is what I've been doing lately since a ex-coworker got in some trouble in russia for spying and everyone's like freaking out that he was using our systems to. :)

That is brilliant.

975035360_yayyyy(2).JPG.d54788b1cc7723c707a4d497b3ad4cdb.JPG

Do you work for kaspersky??

15 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What's wrong with that?

Because I don't see him often.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'll have to keep an eye on you, who knows when you'll start changing mine...

what are you talking about?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Boku no Pico

I like to make light of a bad situation, no one else was so i'll take the lead!

2 minutes ago, Juniiii said:

Do you work for kaspersky??

Nope. Automotive supplier

I like to make light of a bad situation, no one else was so i'll take the lead!

I definitely understand that, I take bad situations as seriously as I need to.

Basically, if I ever stop making jokes in a bad spot, you know it's really bad.

I definitely understand that, I take bad situations as seriously as I need to.

Basically, if I ever stop making jokes in a bad spot, you know it's really bad.

what's funny is there is video's he made for people in our company wile traveling telling them how not to get in trouble in foreign countries... I guess he should have watched them himself  

Just now, Gino Motyka said:

what's funny is there is video's he made for people in our company wile traveling telling them how not to get in trouble in foreign countries... I guess he should have watched them himself  

I'm picturing like Josh Pray-style videos..

"5 things you wanna know when traveling in a foreign country" or something like that.

I'm picturing like Josh Pray-style videos..

"5 things you wanna know when traveling in a foreign country" or something like that.

More like "Hey don't tell them your going there for a wedding when you have no way of backing up your story" 

35 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

That would make sense I guess. Doubt that would happen tho.

i know... but i would do it over taking a warning point

35 minutes ago, hiitswilliam said:

Didn't I ban you for bragging about your internet in the banning game?

you did

all you guys going on about PONYING and anime background, in class if someone leaves their laptop we just bomb it full of hentai everywhere instead :P 

no mercy

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just as I came to my job I'm being told to check the laptop we use to play music from. Two of my colleagues check it before me. One had no idea why it isn't working and second told me that it is connected, but won't start. It was connected to the speakers but unplugged from charger and had flat battery. None of them noticed that. :D