EVGA GTX 960 with 4GB VRAM.

Senzelian

I've just seen a tweet from EVGA, that they'll release a GTX 960 with 4GB of VRAM.

I don't think it's necessary, cause 2GB are usually enough for 1080p gaming, but most ppl still want more than that for some reason. That was one of the great features the R9 280X had, with its 3GB of VRAM.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00914/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-960-4GB/

Mod note: This thread is for discussion of the 4GB GTX 960. Any off topic posts, especially those regarding the 970, will be removed.

Edited by colonel_mortis
Added mod note

I hope its priced cheaper than the the 290.

Otherwise who gives a damn?

Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 290 4GB IceQ X² Video Card  ($252.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $252.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-03 11:20 EST-0500

lemme guess it will cost the same as a 970....

People who have small ITX builds that have small power supplies and don't have a lot of room to exhaust heat or get fresh air, so they want a card that draws less power and produces less heat overall so they don't need to look at a different PSU on top of a GPU or even a bigger case/additional fans and increase the noise just to give proper cooling? 

Think outside the box. Plenty of people are allowed to give a damn about such a product if they want, aren't they? 

uum. am i the only one that have started to game on 4K monitors ?.. why would you say that 2gb is enough?. it might be enough for 1080 but for 4k ur gonna have a terrible experience.. hence they are moving/trying to expand into higher VRAM? or am i just lost now  

Umm.. You seem to of linked a HIS card rendering your point invalid..

uum. am i the only one that have started to game on 4K monitors ?.. why would you say that 2gb is enough?. it might be enough for 1080 but for 4k ur gonna have a terrible experience.. hence they are moving/trying to expand into higher VRAM? or am i just lost now  

Why the fuck would you game on 4K with a 960?

4k should never be mentioned when talking about this card or any similar to it, and yes you are one of the few who have started to game on 4k.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

There's nothing wrong with HIS cards.... have you ever even used one?

"Rawr XD"

Why the fuck would you game on 4K with a 960?

960 with 4gb of vram would be nice for working on a 4k pc. But not gaming.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6454/his-radeon-r9-290-4gb-iceq-x2-turbo-video-card-review/index14.html

71 Degrees load average.

You should do proper due diligence before posting.

People who have small ITX builds that have small power supplies and don't have a lot of room to exhaust heat or get fresh air, so they want a card that draws less power and produces less heat overall so they don't need to look at a different PSU on top of a GPU or even a bigger case/additional fans and increase the noise just to give proper cooling? 

Think outside the box. Plenty of people are allowed to give a damn about such a product if they want, aren't they?

Right, a small 960 would be great for those people. It doesn't really matter if it only has 2gb instead of 4gb since for 99% of cases it just cannot drive anything that would require 4gb of ram like ultra details at 1440p and beyond.

I mean kudos for trying to give an example but this is not the case: This is made for people that want to SLI the 960 that way you would have enough power to drive higher res textures and content and could use the 4gb of vram

-------

Current Rig

-------

If that turns out to be an ACTUAL 4gb of Vram, I may actually explode from rage.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I've just seen a tweet from EVGA, that they'll release a GTX 960 with 4GB of VRAM.

I don't think it's necessary, cause 2GB are usually enough for 1080p gaming, but most ppl still want more than that for some reason. That was one of the great features the R9 280X had, with its 3GB of VRAM.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00914/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-960-4GB/

(Oh and please hope that those are actually 4GB and not 3.5...)

"The latest versions come outfitted with 4GB of high speed GDDR5 memory giving you higher texture qualities and better 4K performance!"

Why would you be gaming in 4k on a 960

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

They should have released a 4GB GTX 970 with 4GB at full speed.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Now on the topic of the original post - i think a 4 GB 960 is just non sense, my friend has the card, seen it running , just terrible playing watch dogs, if they are gonna release a higher Vram card , they might as well as do a upgrade to 970 and release a 6 or 8 GB 970 card basically removing all the issues 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Not really a 500w power supply would be enough, the R9 290 with a Trix- or Vapor-x from sapphire run cool and quiet, there are other versions too but these are my favorite.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Now on the topic of the original post - i think a 4 GB 960 is just non sense, my friend has the card, seen it running , just terrible playing watch dogs, if they are gonna release a higher Vram card , they might as well as do a upgrade to 970 and release a 6 or 8 GB 970 card basically removing all the issues 

They could push out a 8GB 970 and/or 8GB 980 but the costs on those might still be a little nutty even in 2015. 

If the 960 is cheap enough in 4GB flavour to get two of them for the price of a single 970, you could have a decent SLI'd monster. 

I mean, my 2GB 660s still plow through everything, 4GB would be nice for higher resolutions if I had a interest in 1440/4K gaming right now. 

I wanted 8gigs on a 960 :'(

Yea that would be cool, I remember seeing an amazingly priced GT 630 with 4GB of VRAM ;)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

They could push out a 8GB 970 and/or 8GB 980 but the costs on those might still be a little nutty even in 2015. 

If the 960 is cheap enough in 4GB flavour to get two of them for the price of a single 970, you could have a decent SLI'd monster. 

I mean, my 2GB 660s still plow through everything, 4GB would be nice for higher resolutions if I had a interest in 1440/4K gaming right now. 

oh , i forgot about SLI's. hmm, does it scale good in SLI? , it drove crazy bad playing Watch dogs in medium on my friends house in a single 960, so i have my doubts

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

oh , i forgot about SLI's. hmm, does it scale good in SLI? , it drove crazy bad playing Watch dogs in medium on my friends house in a single 960, so i have my doubts

Watch dogs inst the best example xD

That game runs poorly on everything.

Watch dogs inst the best example xD

That game runs poorly on everything.

Runs fine on my system.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.