Should I return my 4070 super?

Yesterday I bought a 4070 super and I'm unsure if it really was the best buy. It was the cheapest 4070 super model I've seen but compared to the 7800 XT that performs really good aswell and seems to have much better price I think I've regretted the purchase.

I've noticed that GPUs are right now going up in price slowly but steady so compared to other Nvidia cards it was a good purchase but compared to AMD cards perhaps not if you're mainly using it for gaming.

Here's what I bought (prices are converted to USD, this is the cheapest 4070 super model in my country btw)

Inno3D GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER Twin X2  $691

The cheapest 2 fan model of the 7800XT is around $600 and it's 2 models that usually go for  that price:

Sapphire Radeon RX 7800 XT Pulse

Asus Radeon RX 7800 XT Dual OC

What do you guys think? Should I return the card when it comes?  I'm not that much in a hurry for a GPU and perhaps should be happy with what I already got. At the moment I have a GTX 1660 ti that I bought back in 2019 and it works well in competative games and older single player games. For newer games on highest settings a new GPU would make a huge difference though. I use 2 displays, a 240hz 1080 display and a 1440p 160hz display for anyone wondering. I'm not sure what causes the issue but while having 2 displays connected and turning on the second display or turning it off, sometimes the main display turns off and on every second and I need to restart my computer. Could the issue be the GPU or that I use Windows 10? I have the latest Windows and Nvidia drivers installed.

Also my 1660ti goes to 99% in competative games at times but maybe that's not any issues.

Btw are 7000 AMD cards good in terms of driver support?

If $91 is worth losing DLSS, better RT performance, slightly better encoder performance/quality, CUDA acceleration, and your time/effort to return and re-order, then yep get the 7800XT. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I had the GTX 1060 and upgraded to RX 6800XT.

I didn't regret it but I think Nvidia software is better.

Plus when I watch a YouTube video or I turn on my second monitor my wattmeter shows 50W more power consumption. MSI afterburner says it's just 30W more GPU power consumption but I don't know if that's accurate.

In any case I didn't have that with the 1060. After I looked it up I saw that the 1060 is actually one of the best cards powerwise.

I've seen in some forums people saying that AMD has fixed the power consumption but I just don't see that.

1 minute ago, WannaMurderMicrosoft said:

I had the GTX 1060 and upgraded to RX 6800XT.

I didn't regret it but I think Nvidia software is better.

Plus when I watch a YouTube video or I turn on my second monitor my wattmeter shows 50W more power consumption. MSI afterburner says it's just 30W more GPU power consumption but I don't know if that's accurate.

In any case I didn't have that with the 1060. After I looked it up I saw that the 1060 is actually one of the best cards powerwise.

I've seen in some forums people saying that AMD has fixed the power consumption but I just don't see that.

I have personally no experience with AMD cards. What do you mean by "Nvidia software is better" and "AMD has fixed the power consumption"?

7 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

I have personally no experience with AMD cards. What do you mean by "Nvidia software is better" and "AMD has fixed the power consumption"?

It's just what I prefer. You may like AMD's software better. It hasn't fixed it.

18 minutes ago, WannaMurderMicrosoft said:

It's just what I prefer. You may like AMD's software better. It hasn't fixed it.

1 hour ago, Zando_ said:

If $91 is worth losing DLSS, better RT performance, slightly better encoder performance/quality, CUDA acceleration, and your time/effort to return and re-order, then yep get the 7800XT. 

I haven't gotten package yet but I believe it will come tommorow. I could send the package back from the place I will pick it up from but I've never before return something I've bought on the internet. Reordering wont take much time though. You mention things like DLSS RT peformance and better encoder but I'm unsure how much that matters since I've never tested these things out before other than encoding  (NVENC new). I will probably need to pay $20 to send back the package but I believe will get that money back aswell. What would you do in my case? I can only buy 2 fan editions of the 7800XT due to limited space in my case hence why there's not many options of 7800XT to buy. 7900 GRE costs at lowest pretty much the same like the 4070 super that I bought so it's more 4070 super vs 7800xt for me.

2 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

What would you do in my case?

Are you on an extremely tight budget? I hate shipping things, and I do use DLSS, and would like to use more ray-tracing (I currently don't as my 2060 Super doesn't have the chops for it in Cyberpunk at 4K, even with DLSS on). I've also had bad experiences in the past with an AMD card, so I avoid them personally. Said AMD card was sold to a friend who has only ever had issues with Nvidia cards, so it seems it's luck of the draw what platform works better for you 😂. For me, it'd be worth $91 to keep it. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

13 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Are you on an extremely tight budget?

LOL I have a little bit of remorce for buying an expensive GPU like the 4070 super while studying and not working. I mean, I luckily have the highest grades but it's probably not the best time to spend this much on PC parts haha. It's soon summer and perhaps I could work during that time if I could find a job. Right now I kinda feel like I maybe should send it back and wait until next year or something lol. But for being a 4070 super it's a really good price.  Other 4070 Supers goes for $730 😂

24 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

I've also had bad experiences in the past with an AMD card, so I avoid them personally

Bad experiences? Was it any recent cards? 

2 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

LOL I have a little bit of remorce for buying an expensive GPU like the 4070 super while studying and not working. I mean, I luckily have the highest grades but it's probably not the best time to spend this much on PC parts haha. It's soon summer and perhaps I could work during that time if I could find a job. Right now I kinda feel like I maybe should send it back and wait until next year or something lol. But for being a 4070 super it's a really good price.  Other 4070 Supers goes for $730 😂

Do you think you'll need the money before summer when you can work? If no then I wouldn't see that as a reason to return it. I get feeling a bit remorseful over buying expensive things, but if it helps to rationalize it, a GPU is a pretty good expensive thing to buy. It's not like you blew it on food or something that you'll consume and no longer have. You can keep a good GPU for 3-5 years at least, maybe longer now with how good upscaling tech is (and it does continue to get better). And it's something you'll actually use and enjoy regularly, assuming you're on your PC a decent bit. 

1 minute ago, PapaAquaWet said:

Radeon VII back in... 2018, 2019? I forget when exactly they launched. Very cool card (I bought it right at launch, had it overnighted so I got it the morning after they were released), great for a while, then the Adrenaline 2020 package dropped and busted the drivers so badly, for months, that I sold the card. It was to the point I'd get a blackscreen forcing a full hard reboot (hold the power button or unplug the PSU) to get display out back, even just idling on the desktop. A couple coworkers also had a bad time with AMD's more modern drivers on Polaris cards (400/500 series). And a friend had his 5700XT Liquid Devil (an overclocking card) forced to 500MHz for months until AMD finally fixed their drivers. Before Adrenaline 2020, AMD's drivers were rock solid in my experience, I never had issues with my RX480, Vega Frontier Edition, or the 290X I messed around with once. From what I've read, the 6000 and newer series cards are better off... I've seen a friend have BIOS issues with his ASRock 7900 XT, but no driver problems AFAIK. Again this is all my experience or anecdotes from friends, if you search around you'll find folks who have had the exact same experience, but with Nvidia cards. As I mentioned before, I sold that card (the Radeon VII) to a friend and he had 0 issues with it. He'd only had driver nightmares with Nvidia, never AMD. 

Main PC 

33 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

You can keep a good GPU for 3-5 years at least

Yeah my plan is to use this GPU for the next 4-5 years so that's why I were looking at the higher end models since they also from what I've seen at times have better price to performance ratio. I've had my GTX 1660 ti since 2019 and back then it was a a budget model so I believe I will be uper happy for the next years with a 4070 super.

36 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Do you think you'll need the money before summer when you can work? If no then I wouldn't see that as a reason to return it.

Nope I don't. I'm lucky to live at parents house. However it's good for me to be a little bit careful with my money unless I could find a job in the summer. I've studied all the time and always strive to do my best at school and just haven't had much time to think about working. I hope it's possible to find jobs during the summer.

18 hours ago, PapaAquaWet said:

I'd return it and spend the same amount to get performance on par with the 4070Ti Super

On 5/2/2024 at 2:16 PM, Salted Spinach said:

I'd return it and spend the same amount to get performance on par with the 4070Ti Super

4070 Ti Super is way too expensive for my budget and does not have any good price in my country.

Btw I bought the "Inno3D GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER Twin X2" for $703.

I haven't picked up the package yet.

I got a mail today that the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER WINDFORCE OC has been lowered in price to $699

Also good to mention are that the Asus Radeon RX 7800 XT TUF Gaming OC goes for $617 

It's 319.8 mm long and on my Phanteks P300 it says that the maximum lenght for a GPU is 330 mm

2 hours ago, PapaAquaWet said:

4070 Ti Super is way too expensive for my budget and does not have any good price in my country.

Yes you dont have to buy a 4070Ti Super to reach the same level of performance

18 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

Yes you dont have to buy a 4070Ti Super to reach the same level of performance

I'm sorry but I don't really understand your previous comment before this one. Would you send back the 4070 super and replace it with the 7800XT I mentioned? I also wonder if you think there's any noticeable noise or thermal difference between the Inno3d and Gigabyte Windforce card?

9 hours ago, PapaAquaWet said:

I'm sorry but I don't really understand your previous comment before this one. 

You just have to watch the video I Ilinked from 08:15 onwards

If you still dont understand, please pretend I was never here

9 hours ago, PapaAquaWet said:

Would you send back the 4070 super and replace it with the 7800XT I mentioned?

If the 7800XT has the performance you require and you could make better use of the money saved, then yes I would

10 hours ago, PapaAquaWet said:

I also wonder if you think there's any noticeable noise or thermal difference between the Inno3d and Gigabyte Windforce card?

I have never used either so I cannot say for sure. The Gigabyte Windforce has a more substantial heatsink and one additional fan. From a physics standpoint, the Windforce should exhibit noticeably lower GPU temperatures at load. Having 3 fans to share the task of moving air should logically result in each one having to spin slower. If true, this will reduce the likelihood and severity of coil whine.

For what it's worth, Sapphire makes better GPUs than Inno3D does. I'd switch for that alone. A lot of cheap nvidia AIBs are just truly awful.

I pretty much swap from AMD to Nvidia to AMD, etc... each upgrade cycle. Currently I'm on the 6800 and I really enjoy it.

17 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

For what it's worth, Sapphire makes better GPUs than Inno3D does. I'd switch for that alone.

I agree. I would pay a million dollars if someone could bring me a 4070 Super that is officially released by Sapphire

Just now, Salted Spinach said:

I agree. I would pay a million dollars if someone could bring me a 4070 Super that is officially released by Sapphire

Almost like he was wanting to switch to a 7800xt by sapphire.

12 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Almost like he was wanting to switch to a 7800xt by sapphire.

Apples to oranges though. Lets say Sapphire's cooler was undisputedly better than the inno3d, but the AMD GPU in question has similar TDP to the R9 390X.

Would you still advocate a change of GPU on the merits of just the cooler?

1 hour ago, Salted Spinach said:

Apples to oranges though. Lets say Sapphire's cooler was undisputedly better than the inno3d, but the AMD GPU in question has similar TDP to the R9 390X.

Would you still advocate a change of GPU on the merits of just the cooler?

It's not just coolers, it's board design. Sapphire just builds better cards than low tier nvidia AIBs. And even with reference PCBs AMD cards have substantially better reference designs than Nvidia these days. And no, founders edition cards are -not- reference.

On 5/1/2024 at 10:11 PM, PapaAquaWet said:

People still go around saying that AMD's drivers are truly awful.

Myself I upgraded from a GTX780 to an RX 6800 two years ago, and so far I have had nothing but pure gaming joy from it. The Radeon Adrenaline software is easy to use, even let's you easily overclock your card, and personally I have had 0 problems with either the software, or the card.

People are quick to choose a side, but you have to keep an open mind and try other stuff sometimes. I had 0 problems with my old GTX780, had many years of enjoyment from it and I can only speak gead things about that nVidia card. Then I decided to switch to AMD to try a red flavour, and the RX 6800 has been an utter tonic so far, I absolutely love it.

For what it's worth, if you're hovering around $600, definitely check out the RX 7900 GRE.

Case: Lian Li O11-dynamic mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX6800 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550 E-Gaming | Memory: 32Gb 3600Mhz G. SKILL Trident Z | PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum | Cooling: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 | Case fans: Lian Li Unifans

On 5/1/2024 at 1:43 PM, Zando_ said:

"Slightly better encoder performance/quality?"

6 minutes ago, bramturismo said:

People still go around saying that AMD's drivers are truly awful.

Myself I upgraded from a GTX780 to an RX 6800 two years ago, and so far I have had nothing but pure gaming joy from it. The Radeon Adrenaline software is easy to use, even let's you easily overclock your card, and personally I have had 0 problems with either the software, or the card.

People are quick to choose a side, but you have to keep an open mind and try other stuff sometimes. I had 0 problems with my old GTX780, had many years of enjoyment from it and I can only speak gead things about that nVidia card. Then I decided to switch to AMD to try a red flavour, and the RX 6800 has been an utter tonic so far, I absolutely love it.

For what it's worth, if you're hovering around $600, definitely check out the RX 7900 GRE.

I'd say, definitely NOT.   

40 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

It's not just coolers, it's board design. Sapphire just builds better cards than low tier nvidia AIBs. And even with reference PCBs AMD cards have substantially better reference designs than Nvidia these days. And no, founders edition cards are -not- reference.

Ok then...

Lets say Sapphire's cooler, board design and components are undisputedly better than the inno3d, but the AMD GPU in question has similar TDP to the R9 390X.

Would you still advocate a change of GPU on the merits of the cooler and board design?