Lucid dream startup says people can work in their sleep

Anders155

Summary

A US startup has said its headband device could allow people to work while sleeping.

Prophetic’s Halo device is designed to induce lucid dreaming, whereby the wearer becomes aware that they are asleep and are able to control the experience.

Prophetic describes the Halo as a “non-invasive neurostimulation device” that offers “the ultimate sandbox for divergent problem solving”. The only limiting factor, the company claims, is the wearer’s imagination.

It aims to use focussed ultrasound signals to activate the dreaming state, which company founder Eric Wollberg claims could then allow workers the chance to practise demos or perform creative problem solving for difficult tasks.

Quotes

“In lucid dreams, you are freed from conventional laws of physics: gravity, conservation of energy, conservation of mass,” the startup’s website states.
“There’s a reason why history’s luminaries in science, math, and art credit their lucid dreams for their most pivotal discoveries.”
The company has already raised more than $1 million to develop the headband and is reportedly working with one of the designers of Elon Musk’s Neuralink device.

My thoughts

I think this, like Neuralink, will probably not actually work and if it does work by some magical chance, it is going to make working quite awful in Big Tech areas and other areas. Nobody wants to be forced to work from home by dreaming about it. 

Sources

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/lucid-dream-work-prophetic-ai-b2457929.html

11 minutes ago, Anders155 said:

Summary

A US startup has said its headband device could allow people to work while sleeping.

Prophetic’s Halo device is designed to induce lucid dreaming, whereby the wearer becomes aware that they are asleep and are able to control the experience.

Prophetic describes the Halo as a “non-invasive neurostimulation device” that offers “the ultimate sandbox for divergent problem solving”. The only limiting factor, the company claims, is the wearer’s imagination.

It aims to use focussed ultrasound signals to activate the dreaming state, which company founder Eric Wollberg claims could then allow workers the chance to practise demos or perform creative problem solving for difficult tasks.

Quotes

My thoughts

I think this, like Neuralink, will probably not actually work and if it does work by some magical chance, it is going to make working quite awful in Big Tech areas and other areas. Nobody wants to be forced to work from home by dreaming about it. 

Sources

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/lucid-dream-work-prophetic-ai-b2457929.html

My hot take : "Just another scam startup that will run away taking all the money idiots invested in it"

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

47 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

My hot take : "Just another scam startup that will run away taking all the money idiots invested in it"

So much this. Fake it until some idiot buys your company for billions you make it. Though to be fair, at least they're not mentioning AI...

3 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

So much this. Fake it until some idiot buys your company for billions you make it. Though to be fair, at least they're not mentioning AI...

image.png.1e395231789d60a1a6b1e075d1e3e521.png

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 hour ago, Anders155 said:

My thoughts

While this company's specific claims may or may not pan out, the actual research in this space is continuing towards actual results, whether you want to believe it or not. Attributing it to magic is a bit naive.

Lucid Work

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

The idea that the first idea of what to do when you can induce lucid dreams is working is sorta crazy. I could see it being used for entertainment or working on personal stuff instead of the horrible idea that now we should be working even in our sleep. Also the only times I have been sleeping but aware it was an awful experience. I was trying to wake up from the dream but what would happen is I would dream of getting up and start my day only to realize I was still asleep. The cycle repeated a couple of times. 

Oh man, paper is due tomorrow and I still have not start yet!

Heh, I wear this lucid dream device on my head and then I shall be able to write it up in my sleep

*Next morning*

Ahh today is a wonderful day, did my papers last night, and all is good.

*Goes to look at actual paper on desk*

Completely blank

Surprise Pikachu

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

The moment I read the title I immediately thought of this:

They will claim its for a good cause like allowing you to work in your sleep, but eventually it will turn into them sending subliminal information into your unconscious brain to buy or shill for certain products.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

9 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

They will claim its for a good cause like allowing you to work in your sleep, but eventually it will turn into them sending subliminal information into your unconscious brain to buy or shill for certain products.

First thing I thought too, can't remember if it was Futurama or somewhere else.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

35 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

ey will claim its for a good cause like allowing you to work in your sleep, but eventually it will turn into them sending subliminal information into your unconscious brain to buy or shill for certain products.

You beat me to it.  You bastard. 

If something like this can work then I can see it being useful for a certain kind of worker.  People whose work is mostly with ideas.  That said, it can't be good for people to never just rest. 

This budget cyberpunk dystopia sucks! We've got all the awful stuff without any of the actually cool tech.

Fantastic for Video games though

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I imagine, if this actually "works" in the future, some engineer or architect is going to be like "ATOM LEVEL TOLERANCE FOR THIS (insert idea) AND MAKE IT MADE OUT OF UNOBTAINIUM"

Sooooo, how do they think people will "work" in their sleep? They know dreaming is completely disjointed from reality don't they? If i write a masters thesis in my dream, I don't then suddenly wake up with it on my desk.

If I could lucid dream on command I could think of infinite other things id rather do than "work"

1 hour ago, Lunar River said:

Sooooo, how do they think people will "work" in their sleep? They know dreaming is completely disjointed from reality don't they? If i write a masters thesis in my dream, I don't then suddenly wake up with it on my desk.

If I could lucid dream on command I could think of infinite other things id rather do than "work"

It strikes me more like a bad The Matrix ripoff concept.  Minus the fact this seems like VC funding bait that'll blow up, like nearly all of the rest of them.

I doubt its anything more then notes on paper and ideas trying to be sold to investors. We are still far away from utilizing someone while they are dreaming as we barely even fully utilize people when they are awake. There are entire departments in big contact centres designed to only manage utilization/occupancy/adherence yet some company found out how to make dreams and brain waves physical? We dont have a proper map of the human brain and a full understanding. We have some parts mapped like the brain stem but other then "Right side better for X and left side better for Y" analogies we are YEARS away from anything resembling putting pictures to brain activity let alone being able to work or do anything productive while asleep lol.

This is some black mirror level bullshit.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

I think they don't mean it the way most people interpret this. I don't think this is meant to be work on top of a 9-5, but a new approach to problem solving during work hours by entering a lucid dream.

But yes, this type of research is a slippery slope. It's very easy to see how this can lead to horrible scenarios of worker exploitation.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

This is the last thing the world needs. 

You thought dev crunch time was bad before... 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

ah yes, more man made horrors beyond my comprehension. Can't wait to get fired by my boss for showing up late to my lucid dream shift

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!