PCs Offer 'Better Gaming Experience Than 100% of Mac Laptops,' Intel Claims in Ongoing Anti-Apple Campaign

TheReal1980

Summary

While announcing its latest chips yesterday, Intel launched another aggressive public attack on Mac devices, focusing on the experience of gaming.

Quotes

Intel yesterday announced two new 11th Generation H-series laptop processors, featuring clock speeds up to 5GHz, Intel Wi-Fi 6/6E, and 1080p gameplay on popular titles, in high-volume, thin designs. Following the announcement, the company took the opportunity to launch another broadside against Apple.

In a press call with Intel's chief performance strategist Ryan Shrout about the new chips, Intel outlined an argument claiming that it is the supposedly poor gaming experience on Mac devices that makes Intel-based Windows devices superior. Intel derided Apple's M1 chip and boasted that most popular video games do not run on macOS.

The company highlighted a poor gaming experience on the Mac when using an emulator or virtual machine, showing a video of the game "Valheim" running poorly in Parallels on a Mac.

My thoughts

Ever since Apple (mostly) got rid of Intel processors in their Macs Intel has been slagging them off left,vright and center. It is true that Macs are not for gaming but I have a feeling that the possible launch of the M1X Apple Silicon next week could ruffle some feathers.

Sources

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/intel-is-happy-to-burn-bridges-with-ex-mac-mate-apple/

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/31/intel-claims-pcs-offer-better-gaming-than-macs/

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

This will absolutely backfire on Intel and their marketing team. They might think they’ve outsmarted Apple with these slides but they are actually self-burns. Because what Intel is actually saying is that their previous gen CPUs were terrible and Apple was right to move away from them; it’s not Apple they are insulting here!

It’s mistake also because when Apple comes out with their new 16 inch MacBook Pros, they will compare it to the same one that has an Intel CPU which is also in Intel’s own marketing slides. Knowing Apple the new 16inch MacBook Pro will smoke the old one which means these slides Intel is sharing will come back to haunt them!

image.jpeg.798f411f93627719a409052b78ae57a4.jpeg

Is anyone surprised? I mean I know this is marketing, but I'm pretty sure everyone that owns a Mac and/or a PC already knows this. If Apple were to have better gaming performance than a PC without such focused effort, that would truly be spectacular.

I'm playing Assassin's Creed on my M1 Mini using Shadow with my Xbox Series controller. I'm in my home office with the door shut, and I don't have to turn on my air conditioner every time I want to play a game.

I did mention that if Apple really wanted to gun for the gaming market, there’s no better time than to do so with shortages rampant for the foreseeable future. While not super likely, this could be quite the coup to witness if the M1X was targeted at gamers. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

The best gaming experience is the one that actually satisfies you. Doesn't matter if it's Xbox, PlayStation, Apple, Windows, Nintendo, McDonald's toys. As long as you have fun, who cares really?

Who plays games to fun? Its all about constantly looking to see your fps is better than others to feel good about yourself. 

50 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

This will absolutely backfire on Intel and their marketing team. They might think they’ve outsmarted Apple with these slides but they are actually self-burns. Because what Intel is actually saying is that their previous gen CPUs were terrible and Apple was right to move away from them; it’s not Apple they are insulting here!

It’s mistake also because when Apple comes out with their new 16 inch MacBook Pros, they will compare it to the same one that has an Intel CPU which is also in Intel’s own marketing slides. Knowing Apple the new 16inch MacBook Pro will smoke the old one which means these slides Intel is sharing will come back to haunt them!

The best mac laptop for gaming can't keep up? When was a MacBook ever supposed to be for gaming? Its not even the same market. If Apple cared at all about gaming they would do a gaming line of laptops but they don't because they were never focused on that. 

oof, does Intel really think a potential mac buyer cares about getting the best game performance for their money?

1 hour ago, Jet_ski said:

they could at least have the decency of using the same gpu... also THE MAC IS ALSO RUNNING AN INTEL CHIP, WHAT ARE YOU DOING INTEL

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

24 minutes ago, Sauron said:

does Intel really think a potential mac buyer cares about getting the best game performance for their money?

The word Intel is looking for to describe Apple users is "pretentious".

"This just in, Intel claims that gaming on an Intel CPU is a better experience than playing on a TI-83"

Yes Intel, gaming on a device that isn't made to run games and only gets minimal support from developers because there isn't a large enough market that demands games to be released on said device is probably going to be worse than on another device that is made to play games and does have a large enough market that demands games to be released on it.

Also, take a shot whenever Intel mention and try to badmouth a competitor in their slides instead projecting strength. If you have to constantly include jabs at the competition, it reeks of insecurity and if consumers notice that, they're much less likely to trust in your products if you yourself don't trust in them enough to have them stand on their own.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

2 hours ago, TheReal1980 said:

It is true that Macs are not for gaming but I have a feeling that the possible launch of the M1X Apple Silicon next week could ruffle some feathers.

Of course Intel's next ads would be rigged benchmarks once the AS refresh comes out in a few days. This reminds me of Microsoft's awful Surface ads. What kind of person will try to play AAA titles on an i3 ultrabook and 4GB of RAM anyway? Also, the $890 doesn't come with a keyboard

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, TheReal1980 said:

focusing on the experience of gaming

this part you can enjoy any game that can run on a system or any for that matter.

I play R6 Vegas and vegas 2 which came out like 13 years ago.

OSU! is a gaming experience that anyone can enjoy(not really its hard)

why? Because OSU! legit runs on a potato I can run it on a old AMD X2 250 (which has integrated GPU)

I honestly enjoy both console and pc.

I can enjoy games on both.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 hours ago, Papercut Captain said:

Not sure they can beat AMD/Nvidia in graphics, but we will see.

I wasn't sure of that before as well, but after seeing that the M1 is already close to the 16 inch's base dGPU in performance I have no doubt that the GPUs Apple puts in their machines will be decent for laptops. I would estimate the 14/16" models to have something like an RTX 2070 in horsepower or something.

4 hours ago, sub68 said:

this part you can enjoy any game that can run on a system or any for that matter.

I play R6 Vegas and vegas 2 which came out like 13 years ago.

OSU! is a gaming experience that anyone can enjoy(not really its hard)

why? Because OSU! legit runs on a potato I can run it on a old AMD X2 250 (which has integrated GPU)

I honestly enjoy both console and pc.

I can enjoy games on both.

Tbh my favorite games aren't hard to run at all. Mount and blade warband can basically play on anything same with terraria. There is also overwatch which is probably the hardest game to run that is in my top five games based on play time. I mean league of legends to I super easy to run. 

2 hours ago, mecarry30 said:

I wasn't sure of that before as well, but after seeing that the M1 is already close to the 16 inch's base dGPU in performance I have no doubt that the GPUs Apple puts in their machines will be decent for laptops. I would estimate the 14/16" models to have something like an RTX 2070 in horsepower or something.

I think the biggest question is not about pure horsepower but how well that translates in games. I mean amd for the longest time had really good performance in certain tasks compared to nvidia but would still fall behind in gaming. Its why they were so much better for cryptocurrency mining for the longest time. 

Well gaming wasn’t stellar on Macs during the intel years either so I really don’t know what point Intel is trying to make. 🤷‍♂️

With that said you can game on macs, just fewer games and usually the ports take time to arrive. 

At this exact moment? True. We’ll see what happens when the m1x/m2 stuff comes out.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I think the biggest question is not about pure horsepower but how well that translates in games. I mean amd for the longest time had really good performance in certain tasks compared to nvidia but would still fall behind in gaming. Its why they were so much better for cryptocurrency mining for the longest time. 

Oh, they will suck for games. Metal is behind DirectX, and Macs don't support Vulkan either. They will be powerful for sure, but I think it will be more in productivity.

Metal does have raytracing support though, so maybe something will happen? We'll see? “¯\_(ツ)_/¯“

Intel's marketing department is incredibly petty lately.

Hey guys? Tiger Lake is actually good. Why not showcase the crap that it's actually good in like the Xe iGPU and its acceleration hardware? Maybe that'll actually do something rather than take cheap potshots at a company like Apple, who has already gotten that experience from all the Android phone manufacturers doing the same thing and frankly couldn't care less.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

My bed offers a better sleeping on experience than 100% of PCs.

Seems like a dumb claim to make.

10 hours ago, Vanderburg said:

I'm playing Assassin's Creed on my M1 Mini using Shadow with my Xbox Series controller.

What is "shadow"?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

2 hours ago, mecarry30 said:

Oh, they will suck for games. Metal is behind DirectX, and Macs don't support Vulkan either. They will be powerful for sure, but I think it will be more in productivity.

Metal does have raytracing support though, so maybe something will happen? We'll see? “¯\_(ツ)_/¯“

I honestly don't know if they will suck in games. Hopefully they don't as its always cool to have more options. I think it probably comes down to both how well the architecture is compatible with gaming and how good the drivers are. RDNA and RDNA2 from AMD showed that its possible to change the architecture to be more suitable toward gaming. The architecture is much more optimized for gaming making them actually able to compete with nvidia. I hope that the new chip from Apple has decent compatibility toward gaming as it would be pretty cool to see another player in the gpu market granted its integrated but basically all laptop gpus are static anyways and can't be replaced so it probably doesn't matter as much.