Russian Malware found on Laptops given by Government

VixAAT

Summary

Some of the laptops given to vulnerable children during home schooling by the UK Government has been found containing malware.  The malware has been found contacting Russian servers. Teachers found some files and shared them on an online forum and found out that they were malware. According to the forum, the Windows laptops contained Gamarue.I, a worm identified by Microsoft in 2012. 

Quotes

The Department for Education said it was aware and urgently investigating.

My thoughts

A bit stupid how your are supposed to give them a favour and help the children and then they had some Malware on it. The thing that it wasn't checked is bad as many vulnerable children may not know what it is and school's do not want to let some Russians have access to children's work and the school's location

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55749959

Imagine the kids doing their work and all of a sudden, through the speakers they hear:

Spoiler

Suka Blyat Rush B!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

10 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

Imagine the kids doing their work and all of a sudden, through the speakers they hear:

Hide contents

Suka Blyat Rush B!

Spoiler

BLYAAT THCEY AR CAMP B I DED

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

28 minutes ago, Kanna said:
  Hide contents

BLYAAT THCEY AR CAMP B I DED

Spoiler

THOSE CAPITALIST PIGS! I WILL AVENGE YOU VIKTOR!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

More importantly, why did these laptops not have a virus scanner on it?

The most basic of scanners should pick something up that is 8 years old. 

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

Are we talking about refurbished notebooks? Different models even? The article doesn't give any details.

If they were refurbished, it could have been someone using an already compromised installation medium.

1 hour ago, TargetDron3 said:

crypting, you can crypt and or obfuscate malware in a way that it passes through anti virus's.

which is why an anti-virus is kinda obsolete and common sense is better.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

7 hours ago, TheAverageGamer said:

My thoughts

A bit stupid how your are supposed to give them a favour and help the children and then they had some Malware on it. The thing that it wasn't checked is bad as many vulnerable children may not know what it is and school's do not want to let some Russians have access to children's work and the school's location

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55749959

I can only assume these machines were imaged to be on a network domain, rather than standalone laptops. Which is why when a virus infection is detected on one system, it must be taken off the network or else the infection can spread like this. If it's only on "some" laptops, I don't see it being a problem with the original image itself. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 hours ago, That Franc said:

The fact that the malware is contacting Russian servers doesn't necessarily mean it's Russian malware. Russia is used as a hacking haven due to its laws that do not prohibit cybercrimes targeting foreign citizens.

Its also the go to country to blame atm when it comes to hacking lol 

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 hour ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

crypting, you can crypt and or obfuscate malware in a way that it passes through anti virus's.

which is why an anti-virus is kinda obsolete and common sense is better.

Eh no.

A third party AV, like norton/mcafee etc is obsolete by virtue of Windows including an AV product that is less invasive, less naggy, and zero cost. Some of these rubbish third party products are no better than snake oil (often flagging cookies as spyware to scare you), nothing is improved with any version, and the latest UI's for these products include entire web browser UI nonsense for no reason other than to upsell you on their most expensive product.

AV products for mobile, mac and linux, are some of the worst snake oil, because viruses tend to not get onto these devices, because malware only targets the most common version, where as Windows 10 will still run malware that was written to work on Win95. It's the actual users being stupid that results in malware getting device, and no AV products protects against PEBKAC.

Basically if the user of the device is not particularly competent, and likes to steal software/games/films, then they need an AV product because piracy is rife with malware.

These laptops likely were not re-imaged, and the malware got onto them because they didn't have any IT staff to do so.

4 hours ago, Kisai said:

piracy is rife with malware.

Depends.

Sure some rando program cracked by some unknown person on a rando site might be compromised, but its rare to find legit malware or viruses in those done by the larger groups. The more well known teams/groups have a reputation to uphold, and its been that way over the decades.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

5 hours ago, Caroline said:

-well how do you know it's a russian malware?

-there are weird letters on the code, def russian

-but anyone can write those with a keyboard and blame it on a country

-*ahem* no more questions please

0d5.jpg

5 hours ago, SolarNova said:

from the article
"The malware, which they said appeared to be contacting Russian servers"
they aren't being blamed randomly.

5 hours ago, Kisai said:

These laptops likely were not re-imaged, and the malware got onto them because they didn't have any IT staff to do so.

I wasn't saying the students with malware on the laptop were incompetent, or that they even downloaded it, It was purely just a reply to the previous post. 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

Depends.

Sure some rando program cracked by some unknown person on a rando site might be compromised, but its rare to find legit malware or viruses in those done by the larger groups. The more well known teams/groups have a reputation to uphold, and its been that way over the decades.

It's higher than you think. Particularly when people google "download (thing) free" and various spammy piracy sites pop up. I'd be more willing to believe that someone downloaded one of the fake downloaders first.

No honor among thieves. 

Video piracy is almost impossible to catch malware unless, again, someone is downloading a "player" instead of the video.

Rush B is used by the russians as secret language. All of those who hear it, will do as commanded and rushing B.

This is due to the communism genes reacting to it, just like the stormtroopers getting ready for battle!

18 hours ago, That Franc said:

The fact that the malware is contacting Russian servers doesn't necessarily mean it's Russian malware. Russia is used as a hacking haven due to its laws that do not prohibit cybercrimes targeting foreign citizens.

Yea but that doesn't fit with the current narrative in the western world. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

15 hours ago, TargetDron3 said:

Personally I think the bigger question is presumably these devices were imaged and prepared to go out to students so how is it malware go on them in the first place, does the base image they are putting on to the devices contain the malware in it because that's a epic fail if it does.

My gut feeling is they got compromised when sent to the school and placed on to their network and the schools are the source of the infection, seems like the most likely scenario to me. Then the school issued the device to the intended student after they had done what was necessary to get it ready for that student for that school.

A lesson in how misleading headlines can be.  The words “Russian””government”and “malware” were used in the headline, and everyone is worried about Russian government malware. It has nothing to do with those though.  The government connection was vulnerable grade schoolers, the Russian connection was where the server was, and the malware connection was antique script kiddie stuff.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Depends.

All it takes is one though.   One in a hundred is rare, but it’s also more than enough.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 1/23/2021 at 9:20 PM, That Franc said:

And not only that. The Russian server only act as a gateway. You can never know who is watching the data. It can be anyone.

On 1/24/2021 at 3:02 AM, SolarNova said:

Eh. Last time it was Russia. Now, it was either Russia or China. Why don't we ever blame Uncle Sam for once?

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

58 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Eh. Last time it was Russia. Now, it was either Russia or China. Why don't we ever blame Uncle Sam for once?

Cause we(the UK) are their pet....

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Shouldn't viruses like these be patched by microsoft years ago?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Yeah, ok. That goes to show the level of care that is put into deploying laptops there. That is sad.