A report that Apple has apparently secured 80% of TSMCs 5nm production throughout 2021 emerges

Master Disaster

In what could be more bad news for both businesses and customers, a report has come out of Taiwan claims that Apple has snatched up 80% of TSMC's 5nm wafer output for 2021 leaving the likes of Qualcomm, Broadcom & AMD to fight over the remaining 20%.

It’s no secret that TSMC has been Apple’s chief supplier of chips for various products. TSMC continues to improve its chip developing technologies through long-term and increasing investments. Of course, when you have a lucrative client like Apple that continues to push the boundaries of silicon development, you’ll do whatever you can to retain that customer. The iPhone giant has also recognized TSMC as a valuable business partner, which is why for 2021, a fresh report states that it has occupied 80 percent of all 5nm production from the manufacturer.

A report from Taiwanese sources and published by CnBeta talks about Apple having secured an unrivaled production capacity from TSMC. Details mention that the third phase of TSMC’s plant will commence mass production from the first quarter of 2021. With production lines in place, the company should process around 9,000 wafers every month. Apart from Apple, companies like Qualcomm, MediaTek, Broadcom, and others have secured 5nm production from TSMC.

Its unclear exactly which of TSMC's various 5nm nodes the new Apple silicon will be using but they are expected to be launching at least 2 new products in 2021 running on M1 and they have told shareholders they intend to be full transitioned to ARM by 2022 so it makes sense they are going to want lots of M1 wafers.

Several Apple products expected to release in 2021 will likely feature chips made on TSMC’s 5nm node. Keep in mind that TSMC has several node variants for different clients, starting with 5nm, then 5nm+, and lastly, enhanced 5nm. It’s not confirmed which manufacturing process these chips will use, but we can run you through the custom silicon that we expect to get unveiled next year. Firstly, we have the new iPad Pro series, and according to rumors, the new family of tablets will use A14Z Bionic.

These should also be the first from Apple to sport a mini-LED screen, and according to previous reports, the new iPad Pro models are expected in H1, 2021. Next up, we have the newly designed iMac, which is said to feature Apple’s A14T chip, and it could be the technology giant’s first machine to feature a dedicated GPU. Last but certainly not least, we have the iPhone 13 lineup, which is expected in September. The new models will likely be fueled by the A15 Bionic made on TSMC’s improved N5P, a 5nm node with improved performance and power efficiency.

English Source - https://wccftech.com/apple-secured-80-tsmc-5nm-production-capacity-2021/

Taiwanese Source - https://www.cnbeta.com/articles/tech/1068385.htm

Apple is going hard on the M1s, my worry is this will mean shortages for AMD which will hurt the PC market even more.

80% seems disproportionately large though.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah. We might have to deal with another AMD shortage next year

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 minute ago, wall03 said:

Yeah. We might have to deal with another AMD shortage next year

The only people that benefits is the scalpers.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Guess someone at TSMC got some really fat envelope...... Its really sad, i wanted to upgrade next year but i guess ill have to wait one more year :/ .

Guess I'll upgrade to Ryzen 7000 when I upgrade my computer

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Just now, wall03 said:

Guess I'll upgrade to Ryzen 7000 when I upgrade my computer

And I have to also agree with that also (can't do two reactions at the same time).

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

If TSMC is going to be churning out basically nothing but M1s then what are the chances of Apple just buying the fab outright? Surely its cheaper in the long run to buy the fab than it is to keep paying huge sums each quarter to reserve so much fab space?

Im in process of repurposing Ryzen Rig 2, with intent to build myself a new rig.  I already plan on going back to an even older setup until I finish the new build...but man please dont have me on something old for a long time market! lol

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

This is why Intel needs to start being driven by engineers and not accountants. They have an open goal here if they can shrink their process node - they have thousands of square feet of foundries all over the world - they invented the CPU FFS. Its like England inventing modern day soccer and then letting the world beat them on the international stage!

Intel i9-13900K - Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite DDR4 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB DDR4 3200 C16 - Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 4090 24GB - Corsair 4000D Airflow - 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  - Corsair AX1600i 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W - Aorus FI27Q - Noctua NH-D15 running 3 fans (CPU) - 6 x NF-A12x25 (3 intake, 3 exhaust) - Aorus K1 - Aorus M5 - Aorus AMP500 - Aorus H5 - Corsair TC70 - Win 11 Pro

80%! C'mon that just insane their isn't any need to Apple to screw over the rest of the computer industry for this. Their are already enough shortages as is. I understand TSMC doesn't care because it's still cash in their pocket but I'm sick of this bull crap stock levels. Apple isn't the only company who needs to make chips. If TSMC is the only one who can do these fabs on a large scale (I know samsung exist just not at this level)then I think it's time to look into breaking up the monopoly.

1 minute ago, Tedny said:

Zen4 in 2022, I guess, and Nvidia 4000 and AMD 7000, too 

Didn't we hear last week that Nvidia are sticking with Samsung? I guess Jen-Shun is laughing his ass off right now knowing he took most of Samsungs capacity while it was still cheap.

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

If TSMC is going to be churning out basically nothing but M1s then what are the chances of Apple just buying the fab outright? Surely its cheaper in the long run to buy the fab than it is to keep paying huge sums each quarter to reserve so much fab space?

They could but wont

This will be a big shock to industry. We're talking about saturation of latest gen capacity. Their next plant are reported to be 12 and 20 BILLION in costs. For each plant!!

I doubt there will be that much of a market for Apple products to warrant that many M1 chips. 

Didn't we hear last week that Nvidia are sticking with Samsung? I guess Jen-Shun is laughing his ass off right now knowing he took most of Samsungs capacity while it was still cheap.

Yep AMD might have just knocked themselves right out of existence with their lack of stock. Looks like they missed the fab allocation bus and this could put them way behind. Who cares how good the product is if you can't sell any of it.

Could that just be because AMD and the others don't have anything on 5nm yet, thus Apple has "80% of the production... of 5nm" and not "80% of the total possible production across all process nodes" ?

The way I read this, it shouldn't affect AMD and Co. at all.

Am I wrong to think that?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

Could that just be because AMD and the others don't have anything on 5nm yet, thus Apple has "80% of the production... of 5nm" and not "80% of the total possible production across all process nodes" ?

The way I read this, it shouldn't affect AMD and Co. at all.

I thought AMD has 5nm roadmapped for 2021 which would mean they are at least taping out by now. Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression fab space is allocated months (if not years) in advance of when its actually needed to allow for expansion and retooling.

I thought AMD has 5nm roadmapped for 2021 which would mean they are at least taping out by now. Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression fab space is allocated months (if not years) in advance of when its actually needed to allow for expansion and retooling.

Ah right, Zen 4... It certainly is slatted for end of 2021 I think, but could be 2022 for all we know at this point.

But from what I'm reading 5nm has a greater usable yield than 7nm, so it might just be enough.

Honestly, Apple securing 80% of the production is simply strange considering their sales compared to Windows PC and Android phones makers(Apple market share is much lower in other parts of the world than the US)... Unless they did that to stifle their competition at the source.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

AMD doesn't have to use TSMC, they could use a different fab.

1 minute ago, Coolmaster said:

Again I might be wrong but only TSMC & Samsung have a 5nm node ATM, correct?

Nvidia took all of Samsung's space for Ampere and now Apple took all of TSMC's space.

14 minutes ago, Shorty88jr said:

80%! C'mon that just insane their isn't any need to Apple to screw over the rest of the computer industry for this. Their are already enough shortages as is. I understand TSMC doesn't care because it's still cash in their pocket but I'm sick of this bull crap stock levels. Apple isn't the only company who needs to make chips. If TSMC is the only one who can do these fabs on a large scale (I know samsung exist just not at this level)then I think it's time to look into breaking up the monopoly.

Why does Apple care about the rest of the industry's stock availability? If they need to make that many M1s then they need that capacity just as much as anyone else. And most products that are having supply issues aren't using 5nm. There are more than just TSMC and Samsung as foundries. There's UMC, Global Foundries, Texas Instruments, and tons more.

1 minute ago, Coolmaster said:

It's not completely trivial to switch fabs though. AMD's spent the past couple years optimizing and designing architectures with TSMC's roadmap and nodes in mind I think, so switching to Samsung or god forbid somehow back to Global Foundries as their main fab would be pretty disastrous imo. As much credit as AMD engineers get for architecture design, at least some of the improvement from AMD processors has been due to the great engineering they are able to utilize through TSMC's nodes. If they had to resort to another fab's process node, they might have had to scale back some of the improvements gen on gen or make adjustments to their current designs to fit a different node.

30 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The only people that benefits is the scalpers.

And Apple customers - they won't have to deal with shortages. I guess Apple doesn't want customers to notice current supply problems. Would not be exactly magical if someone wants to buy a device and it's out of stock.

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I hope not because I plan on upgrading to a 5900x and Sapphire or PowerColor 6900 XT for rendering.  😧

Good luck with that. Ryzen 5000 is entirely unobtainable. So is Radeon RX 6000. I was lucky enough to snatch 5800X locally in some computer shop in my own country where usual shops from Germany where I generally buy are all out of stock. Did pay some more for it at 560€ which is relatively normal considering the times we're in and bolting 22% VAT on top of MSRP price. No such luck with graphic cards which all go for up to 500€ more than their MSRP which is just moronic. 100€ I'd still go with, but not this.

Isn't this business as usual? Mobile partners have always taken up the majority of this business. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Isn't this business as usual? Mobile partners have always taken up the majority of this business. 

APPLE BAD.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Apple is hogging chips.

Pigs are hogging apples.

Wonderful nature.

I edit my posts more often than not