A report that Apple has apparently secured 80% of TSMCs 5nm production throughout 2021 emerges

Master Disaster
1 minute ago, Doobeedoo said:

I've seen everywhere more people talk about it and are getting into it.

As I sated above, gaming is a niche market. yeah more people are getting in. Also people might be buying / building machines for work from home. Because of the pandemic. If the pandemic didnt hit, I doubt we would have seen this growth. We would still have seen the lack of GPU's due to A hole scalpers and coin miners, but the other parts wouldn't be having issue with stock. 

The fact of the matter is, you dont need new hardware to run newer games. Cyberpunk could run on my i5 3570K machine if I wanted to. Any Intel CPU from the last few generations would work fine as well as old Ryzen gear. I stick on the same hardware for at least 5 to 7 years. Generally doing very little upgrades to it. The only people upgrading on the yearly cycle are the ones who have more money that brains. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

15 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The reason people keep saying PC's are going away is because sales are in a slump. Sure, you cant find current gen GPU's or AMD CPU's but thats because of the gaming boom and work from home boom due to Covid. Lots of people keep their computers a lot longer. Some people only use mobile devices. Like my aunt has a iPad, and thats all she needs. My sister used to write college papers using Google Docs and her phone. PC's are no longer king like they once were. Gaming is niche. Most PC sales are probably enterprise users, thats where Microsoft makes its money. But the average Joe blow is not necessarily buying new PC's.  So now you have PC's (Windows, Linux and Macs), Phones, Tablets all competing in the market. 

I don't see people saying that though, more like more getting interested into it. You keep your PC, console, phone for years too. Sure those that check some email and basic docs can get by with just a phone, but still. Gaming is definitely not niche, by far. Sure MS enterprise side, but we're talking about general user PCs not enterprise even. Maybe average Joe may not need it, or get a laptop, still doesn't mean PCs going away just like that because you can do email and some basic docs on a phone.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

As I sated above, gaming is a niche market. yeah more people are getting in. Also people might be buying / building machines for work from home. Because of the pandemic. If the pandemic didnt hit, I doubt we would have seen this growth. We would still have seen the lack of GPU's due to A hole scalpers and coin miners, but the other parts wouldn't be having issue with stock. 

The fact of the matter is, you dont need new hardware to run newer games. Cyberpunk could run on my i5 3570K machine if I wanted to. Any Intel CPU from the last few generations would work fine as well as old Ryzen gear. I stick on the same hardware for at least 5 to 7 years. Generally doing very little upgrades to it. The only people upgrading on the yearly cycle are the ones who have more money that brains. 

It's not a niche market dude, that's not the definition of niche. Pandemic aside, many people like gaming and with streams and such people definitely want to jump on board too. It's been so over years with more livestreaming getting more and more popular. 

As for new hardware, well depends though, if it's quite old and you don't want to play 720p30 low or something yeah, time for new. Yeah you may launch the game on a 7y old PC you definitely won't play it on any decent framerate or visuals. Maybe you don't game so you don't care but yeah. Upgrading yearly is pointless, never mentioned that.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Maybe average Joe may not need it, or get a laptop, still doesn't mean PCs going away just like that because you can do email and some basic docs on a phone.

I didnt say they were going away. I said thats what every one keeps saying. PC's will be around longer sure. But the average Joe Blow isn't upgrading their PC for like 10 years. Id say a moderate gamer like me, maybe 5 to 7 years. A gaming addict is probably doing it yearly. But MS makes most of its money on the enterprise side, so do OEM's of PC's Id imagine. 

4 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Gaming is definitely not niche,

So your saying companies like Lenovo and HP, and DELL are selling shit loads of gaming PC's? Because thats not the case. And those are the companies that are probably selling SHIT loads of PC's compared to people like Cyber power, iBuypower, etc. PC gaming makes up a very small amount of PC sales.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I didnt say they were going away. I said thats what every one keeps saying. PC's will be around longer sure. But the average Joe Blow isn't upgrading their PC for like 10 years. Id say a moderate gamer like me, maybe 5 to 7 years. A gaming addict is probably doing it yearly. But MS makes most of its money on the enterprise side, so do OEM's of PC's Id imagine. 

Yeah I know, just saying. But the so called average Joe if that person only did web browsing and email yeah I guess they don't really need a new machine. Though I meant primarily gamers, yeah. Still I had like 7y+ old PC year ago before I upgraded, I wanted to upgrade before, but priorities and such. Really glad I finally did. That machine simply became obsolete for me. 
I'm aware of MS on enterprise and OEMs PCs though, but really those are completely separate from components people buy in retail to build their system. Not like those will cease to be gone, that'd be ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

So your saying companies like Lenovo and HP, and DELL are selling shit loads of gaming PC's? Because thats not the case. And those are the companies that are probably selling SHIT loads of PC's compared to people like Cyber power, iBuypower, etc. PC gaming makes up a very small amount of PC sales.  

NO. I never said that, nor did I even mean or mentioned OEMs at all. When I say PC selling I mean people building them themselves, of course. Who buys pre builds...

I don't see people saying that though, more like more getting interested into it. You keep your PC, console, phone for years too. Sure those that check some email and basic docs can get by with just a phone, but still. Gaming is definitely not niche, by far. Sure MS enterprise side, but we're talking about general user PCs not enterprise even. Maybe average Joe may not need it, or get a laptop, still doesn't mean PCs going away just like that because you can do email and some basic docs on a phone.

I do think one thing that has changed is cpu capacity is advancing quickly again.  That had kinda of stagnated for a good while.  How much actual effect that has and how long it will continue for and what might come after SOI I do not know. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I do think one thing that has changed is cpu capacity is advancing quickly again.  That had kinda of stagnated for a good while.  How much actual effect that has and how long it will continue for and what might come after SOI I do not know. 

Well, it also depends what games you play and what performance you want. There are still some older games that are more single threaded by nature and old engine that can benefit, as well as esports shooters too that definitely can benefit.

19 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah I know, just saying. But the so called average Joe if that person only did web browsing and email yeah I guess they don't really need a new machine. Though I meant primarily gamers, yeah. Still I had like 7y+ old PC year ago before I upgraded, I wanted to upgrade before, but priorities and such. Really glad I finally did. That machine simply became obsolete for me. 
I'm aware of MS on enterprise and OEMs PCs though, but really those are completely separate from components people buy in retail to build their system. Not like those will cease to be gone, that'd be ridiculous.

NO. I never said that, nor did I even mean or mentioned OEMs at all. When I say PC selling I mean people building them themselves, of course. Who buys pre builds...

Who buys them?  Lots of entities.  Pretty much most places that aren’t single home users. Any single home user that doesn’t know how, (which is the majority) single home users who do know how but can’t get a hard to find part (such as a new gpu) unless they get it as part of a prebuilt, the list goes on..

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Who buys them?  Lots of entities.  Pretty much most places that aren’t single home users. Any single home user that doesn’t know how, (which is the majority) single home users who do know how but can’t get a hard to find part (such as a new gpu) unless they get it as part of a prebuilt, the list goes on..

I mean I know people buy them, be it some office business places or whatever and yeah users that are not comfortable building yet. But, many also do build them selves and also many shifted towards building one for the first time. It's easier than ever and when thinking about new PC it's more probably the person will build it these days.

I mean I know people buy them, be it some office business places or whatever and yeah users that are not comfortable building yet. But, many also do build them selves and also many shifted towards building one for the first time. It's easier than ever and when thinking about new PC it's more probably the person will build it these days.

It is possible whitebox is an expanding sector.

3 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Enterprises do regular refreshes of computers for life cycle management 

Its less expensive in terms of costs to replace machines than deal with lost productivity, sourcing parts, and support time for out of support machines.

Consumers are more likely to wait for something to fail before replacement