COD MW3 constant stuttering with Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe SSD

Th3SmiL3y

Hello,

I've been trying to fix this problem for days now and didnt come to a fix. I hope someone can help me with this.

I recently built a new PC to play some of my games in higher fps:

• MSI B650M GAMING PLUS WIFI
  • AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
  • AMD Radeon Rx 6800 XT (Powercolor: Red Dragon)
  • Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) 5200MHz (CMK16GX5M2B5200C40)
  • Thermaltake Smart BM3 650W

The first few games I wanted to test out were already on my old hdd that I plugged in and everything was smooth. When I wanted to try out COD MW3 Multiplayer & Warzone too though, things went bad really quick. At first, the game was very smooth with no stutters at all, but I realized that the loading screens were really really slow and the game started crashing and completely freezing sometimes (when joining/finishing a match).

In Warzone though, it got worse. The map didnt load for a long time and when it did, it loaded really poorly, but the game even then was really smooth.

After I checked everything and did my research, I saw that the game doesn't really perform good when installed on a hdd. So what I did was, I reinstalled the game on my new NVMe (which only has windows on it) and launched the game again. This time, warzone loads really well and all the textures are instantly there, BUT when starting the game (and even while being in the menu), the game stutters every few seconds for a quick ms and sometimes for a whole second and it just gets unplayable. And well...after another 8hrs or so of research, I updated my BIOS. After that the game went from micro stutters every few seconds to heavy stuttering every 10-20seconds or so. Now I'm really lost and don't know what else I can do. Every other game on my hdd works flawlessly and I just had to reinstall COD MW3 on the M.2 SSD cause of the texture problems and now this...

What I also realized is, that when having CoD play in the background, I can't even download something on the M.2 SSD. When I try that, CoD completely starts stuttering nonstop and even the pc starts stuttering and lagging completely until I either pause the download or sometimes even have to restart the whole pc.

So far, these are some other things I also tested to solve this issue:

• Samsung Magician for firmware updates
  • GPU driver update
  • COD MW3 Settings changed: VRam usage, quality settings...etc.

I really don't know what to do or how to find out what exactly is causing this stuttering, since I haven't found anything yet. I would be really thankful for any tips or help. It's a really annoying problem and I hope someone can help me or know an easy solution for this.

If there are any questions or informations needed, I'll help and share everything.

Thanks.

On 4/27/2024 at 2:14 AM, Th3SmiL3y said:

Every other game on my hdd works flawlessly and I just had to reinstall COD MW3 on the M.2 SSD cause of the texture problems and now this...

Ya, there's a lot of games like this nowadays, more than you seem to imagine.
They constantly interact with the drive with micro randoms files interactions, and HDDs poorly perform random write. 

On 4/27/2024 at 2:14 AM, Th3SmiL3y said:

What I also realized is, that when having CoD play in the background, I can't even download something on the M.2 SSD. When I try that, CoD completely starts stuttering nonstop and even the pc starts stuttering and lagging completely until I either pause the download or sometimes even have to restart the whole pc.

Is the drive completly saturated, bandwidth wize, when you download things on it? 
If it is, then no wonder. You can't do much about that, it is the way it is at this point.
If the drive is saturated while having to exchange files constantly with the OS (which it have to do to just work at this point), then the whole OS will struggle. 

For the overall issue:
What other games are you playing?
Are you having any other issues in other games? 

Your PSU seems tight for a 6800XT. AMD recommand 750W for this GPU, and even that is not really what I would recommand, because of power spikes.