Playstation delays PS5 Event Indefinitely

gloop

Playstation has indefinitely delayed the PS5 announcement event due to the #BlackLivesMatter movement, citing 'that more important vioces need to be heard'.

official tweet: 

From Kitguru:

In a statement released to Twitter, PlayStation announced that “We have decided to postpone the PlayStation 5 event scheduled for June 4,” with the reason being that “[w]hile we understand gamers worldwide are excited to see PS5 games, we do not feel that right now is a time for celebration and for now, we want to stand back and allow more important voices to be heard.”

I wasn't really expecting this, as it is a tech company and is Japanese, a country where there aren't many protests as far as I know.

The “important voices” referenced by the company is of course related to those who have been participating in protests all around the world. These protests were first triggered due to the murder of George Floyd by US police officers on the 25th of May. Since then, the protests have ballooned into a much wider debate surrounding racial inequality as a whole.

Prior to PlayStation’s announcement of the delay, the console manufacturer released a statement in support of the Black Lives Matter movement, saying “We denounce systemic racism and violence against the Black community. We will continue to work towards a future marked by empathy and inclusion and stand with our Black creators, players, employees, families, and friends. #BlackLivesMatter.”

This was to be expected, as a lot of celebrities and companies have been putting out tweets similar to these.

There is currently no date for when the PlayStation 5 event might make its return.

I hope they do schedule this again, and hopefully not to long away. I was looking forward to this.

Just now, gloop said:

that more important vioces need to be heard'.

Good on them for seeing reason

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 minutes ago, gloop said:

I wasn't really expecting this, as it is a tech company and is Japanese, a country where there aren't many protests as far as I know.

A huge market of theirs is NA. They wouldn't make as big of headlines as they would want with everything going on.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

17 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Good on them for seeing reason

Unfortunately with all the looting and burning of stuff alot of it is going to fall on deaf ears. Granted they probably don't want to fight for publicity with the riots. 

I assume it also conveniently alleviates supply chain issues related to COVID-19. While BLM is certainly a very important movement, I reckon this was just a handy excuse to delay while 1. Supply chain is affected by a pandemic and 2. the presence of riots and looting severely dampens the excitement factor of a new console launch. I do get criticised for being too cynical, but I don't think this is just some act of good will.

On the other hand, this shows that the riots are effective and impactful. Disrupting major commercial operations means that they are going to have to be taken seriously and appeased. Hopefully this finally creates positive social change in America.

That's an F in the profile pic

Cool, I thought it would be postponed anyway because of the pandemic but I guess not.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

seems like using current events here in the US to cover for something going on behind the scenes

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

41 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I assume it also conveniently alleviates supply chain issues related to COVID-19. While BLM is certainly a very important movement, I reckon this was just a handy excuse to delay while 1. Supply chain is affected by a pandemic and 2. the presence of riots and looting severely dampens the excitement factor of a new console launch. I do get criticised for being too cynical, but I don't think this is just some act of good will.

On the other hand, this shows that the riots are effective and impactful. Disrupting major commercial operations means that they are going to have to be taken seriously and appeased. Hopefully this finally creates positive social change in America.

It's likely to focus on the games, and any hardware would be in very small batches or pre-production -- the supply chain isn't really an issue here.

Can we just accept that Sony doesn't want to overshadow a crucial moment for a good cause, and tht it won't hurt to wait a week or two?

1 hour ago, Froody129 said:

Not sure what supply chain would have to do with this. This stream on Thursday was just about games on PS5 not the console release or price. All other reports are that the console is still on tract to release this Holiday, though with increased cost they may not be producing as many units and the PS4 launch.  Good on them for postponing though.

Yet another marketing move about the protest. Seems almost like nobody actually cares about it except media, doesn't it?

This doesn’t surprise me overmuch.  The only groups on earth that disagree with the protestors are white supremicist  groups, and they’re pretty small, especially outside the US.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I saw a meme about this the other day lol,

Details separate people.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This doesn’t surprise me overmuch.  The only groups on earth that disagree with the protestors are white supremicist  groups, and they’re pretty small, especially outside the US.

Quite literally have not seen anyone publicly defend the officer's actions... That's why I am confused as to who the opponents are to these protests? Everyone seems to be on the same page.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

Quite literally have not seen anyone publicly defend the officer's actions... That's why I am confused as to who the opponents are to these protests? Everyone seems to be on the same page.

Nobody. This whole protest has no end goal. It's protesting, looting a burning for the sake of doing it not because protesters want something in the end. And let's not forget that the vast majority of it is peaceful, but there are idiots on both sides that keep getting TV time.

2 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

All I've seen is people opposing the rioting and looting, which...duh lol. Everyone where I am is for the peaceful protests.

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

The only people with an issue are the white supremicists and those supporting them, which in this case includes the current administration so there’s a lot of noise coming from that front even though there’s very little in the way of actual people.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

seems like using current events here in the US to cover for something going on behind the scenes

My thoughts 100% - this is money we are talking about and the PS5 sells itself.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, Bombastinator said:

The only people with an issue are the white supremicists and those supporting them, which in this case includes the current administration so there’s a lot of noise coming from that front even though there’s very little in the way of actual people.

Better call me a white supremicist then, because I do not support rioting and looting, especially when the targets are private companies and peoples livelyhoods. I don't give a flying fuck what started it, breaking in and stealing from businesses is not acceptable.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Your governament is against burning cities down. This is not Cyberpunk 2077. Nobody defended the policeman that killed the guy unarmed. Yet, nobody cares for all people that now have died thanks to these violent people that are storming the place instead of actually protesting. OR the number or places that have been destroyed.

9 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

Your governament is against burning cities down. This is not Cyberpunk 2077. Nobody defended the policeman that killed the guy unarmed. Yet, nobody cares for all people that now have died thanks to these violent people that are storming the place instead of actually protesting. OR the number or places that have been destroyed.

Im in Saint Paul, the town next to where this all started.  In minneapolis  There was one satellite police station and a scattering of small business up and down one street that got hit.  Mostly not by the actual protestors apparently.  So city not burning down.  Other cities I don’t know about. 

The “cities are burning all is chaos!!” Thing is being pushed by the administration and the media that supports him pretty hard.

Why delay an event days after the incident. Is there's some too soon counter on product releases? Or are we expecting that people will just stop using the black live matters protest suddenly and then we'll get the ps5 announcement?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

22 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I haven't seen any statement from the current administration supporting the officer? Only thing I have seen was him denouncing and pledging to put an end to the looting and burning of many cities. Could you send me a link to a video where he denounced peaceful protests and supported that evil officer?

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D