Helping members who haven’t been watching cancel

AshRiver

ou know that sinking feeling when you realize you signed up for something but haven’t used it in ages? At Netflix, the last thing we want is people paying for something they’re not using.   

So we’re asking everyone who has not watched anything on Netflix for a year since they joined to confirm they want to keep their membership. And we’ll do the same for anyone who has stopped watching for more than two years. Members will start seeing these emails or in app notifications this week. If they don’t confirm that they want to keep subscribing, we’ll automatically cancel their subscription. If anyone changes their mind later, it’s really easy to restart Netflix. These inactive accounts represent less than half of one percent of our overall member base, only a few hundred thousand, and are already factored into our financial guidance. 

We’ve always thought it should be easy to sign up and to cancel. So, as always, anyone who cancels their account and then rejoins within 10 months will still have their favorites, profiles, viewing preferences and account details just as they left them. In the meantime, we hope this new approach saves people some hard earned cash.

-- Eddy Wu, Product Innovation

https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/helping-members-who-havent-been-watching-cancel

I mean saving $15 is not going to save me throughout the week so........This is also another great way for scammers to start another phishing campaign.

Yeah but some people it's nice. Especially if you keep forgetting to cancel, etc, it can add up. I see nothing wrong with this.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Who the fuck doesn't realise they've got an active subscription for $13 a month or w/e that they're not using? 

Do people not look at their finances?

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

This is actually how it should be, but the interval should be much lower, say 3 months, as Netflix seems to have new content on a regular basis. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, wANKER said:

Who the fuck doesn't realise they've got an active subscription for $13 a month or w/e that they're not using? 

Some people don't look at anything more than the current balance right now.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

13 hours ago, wANKER said:

I used to work in self storage. One day I had a woman come in and say she wanted to cancel her unit. I told her to let me know when she emptied it out so I could inspect it and do the paperwork. She said it was already empty. I came to find out that's because when she rented the unit two years prior she NEVER put anything in it. She was paying $190 a month for an empty unit. And she knew she had it, too, because she had 3 rate increases that we legally had to send notices for.

Short version of that answer... People are dumb.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

Lets think about this from netflix's perspective. I wonder how many people don't watch anything for months, realize this, and then contact support asking them for a refund since they didn't use it for those months. So by just automatically refunding/canceling memberships, they are reducing the help desk requests, and thus, possibly saving money. Thats my idea.

15 hours ago, wANKER said:

Nope. Its incredibly how bad so many people are with their finances. They will just spend money until their card is declined due to lack of funds. Some people are mentally incapable of saving money.

Though, there are good reasons too. Some people get sick, injured, go to jail or die. When you are bad situation like that, canceling your netflix subscription isn't on the top of your mind.

17 hours ago, wANKER said:

Out of a couple dozen bills one for $13 can go unnoticed... especialy if you have another account for whatever reason that you actually use. That's not going to be a lot of people, the post says it's less than 0.5% of subcribers, but still.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Out of a couple dozen bills one for $13 can go unnoticed... especialy if you have another account for whatever reason that you actually use. That's not going to be a lot of people, the post says it's less than 0.5% of subcribers, but still.

One of the things about managing your finances though, is knowing exactly what direct debits/subscriptions etc. you have though, surely? 

I guess it's just me being ignorant. 

Didn't think there's people who actually just wait for bills to find out what they're paying and when 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

18 hours ago, wANKER said:

You'd be surprised how many people don't notice such. I don't remember where, but there was even a study about this and the number was quite rather high.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

13 minutes ago, wANKER said:

One of the things about managing your finances though, is knowing exactly what direct debits/subscriptions etc. you have though, surely?

In theory sure - in practice it just gets charged to your credit card and when you look at your billing history you might miss it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

23 hours ago, AshRiver said:

https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/helping-members-who-havent-been-watching-cancel

I mean saving $15 is not going to save me throughout the week so........This is also another great way for scammers to start another phishing campaign.

That’s actually pretty cool of Netflix.  I respect that.

much cooler than cbs all access.  They had a 1 week free offer.  I figured out in four days that they didn’t have much I wanted to watch so I looked up how to cancel (it’s always difficult) and did it.  Got a reply saying I canceled but they’re still charging me.  I am very angry at them.  I’m going to have to close down a bank account to make them stop and I wholly blame them. I have complained and they agree that I did cancel but they do nothing. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, GilmourD said:

I used to work in self storage. One day I had a woman come in and say she wanted to cancel her unit. I told her to let me know when she emptied it out so I could inspect it and do the paperwork. She said it was already empty. I came to find out that's because when she rented the unit two years prior she NEVER put anything in it. She was paying $190 a month for an empty unit. And she knew she had it, too, because she had 3 rate increases that we legally had to send notices for.

Short version of that answer... People are dumb.

She probably had murder plans and it didn't work out for her the past two years.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 5/24/2020 at 9:54 AM, wANKER said:

Well when you are a busy person with hundreds of transactions sometimes it just isn't worth the hassle unless there is something obvious like a big charge. Something as small as a Netflix subscription is likely not to get noticed. Now this is usually more for people who have alot of money and likely don't care as much to look through their finances throughly. 

On 5/24/2020 at 10:54 AM, wANKER said:

From what I'm seeing on the internet... A lot of people are not responsible with their finances. They need monthly reminder such as "Remember to check your credit card statement for any ongoing subscriptions you don't use and get them cancelled!".

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 hours ago, WereCatf said:

You'd be surprised how many people don't notice such. I don't remember where, but there was even a study about this and the number was quite rather high.

Apparently enough people to keep America online a going concern years after they stopped producing any product at all.  A search was done and most members did not know they had even signed up or were paying.

America Online was famous for doing exactly what CBS all access is doing which is making actual cancelation impossible or so very very fitfully as to allow someone to think they had successfully canceled when in fact it did not happen.  It’s possible they forgot that it was a failure, simply gave up an impossible task, or some other thing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 5/24/2020 at 10:54 AM, wANKER said:

You'd be surprised.

Financial literacy is low worldwide (and by "financial literacy" I don't mean understanding how to calculate the value of a put option, but knowing what "interest" means), and that only comes to play provided there's attention - which also varies widely from household to household. So, you have inattention, and among those attentive you have only a subset with at least a basic understanding of all the concepts related to their personal finances.

Then sometimes (I've found this varies from country to country or market to market) banks and other financial institutions make things unnecessarily obscure, especially when it comes to credit cards, what's due when, etc.

It is safe to say than more than 50% of the population has only a general sense of what they spend their money on, and the feeling of running out of money faster than expected ("I got my paycheck two weeks ago, how come there's only $X left?") is commonplace. 

On 5/24/2020 at 4:54 PM, wANKER said:

If it weren't for the fact that I hate subscription models and avoid them like the plague, I could totally see myself being one of those people.

I have automated my finances as much as I can. Whenever I get my salary, I automatically transfer money to several separate accounts (I have like 6-7 different accounts). Then I have as much as possible get paid automatically, so I pretty much never have to actually pay any bills. Everything just gets charged automatically. That, coupled with 13 dollars a month not being that much compared to the thousands of dollars in other expenses, spread out over multiple accounts (some of which are shared and aren't at the same bank as other accounts), it becomes confusing quite quickly and 13 dollars can easily go unnoticed.

And, like others have said, it can be long-term things which gets priority. Someone might fall really ill and be hospitalized. In that case "check if I canceled my various subscriptions" might not be that high on the list of things to do. Someone might die and the account just keeps sipping money from their account. Someone might travel abroad to study or work and leaves everything behind, not realizing that they had a subscription to some service like Netflix when they canceled everything else.

The more stuff you got going in your life, the less likely it is that you know 100% for certain where your money is going.

That's not to say that people who have their finances in check aren't busy people, or that busy people have an excuse for not keeping track of their finances. But what I am trying to say is that if you are so short on cash that you actually notices 13 dollars disappearing every month then chances are you aren't in a good financial situation.

I don't consider myself a big spender, and despite that I have made over 163 different transactions from one of my accounts during the last 3 months. I certainly do not check every one of them, and I most certainly wouldn't have noticed if there were 166 transactions instead during the same time period.

Anyway, good on Netflix. This is how every subscription service should work.

I know someone who had 2 concurrent netflix subs (one was a offer that came with a phone) and she couldn't work out how to cancel the other one and netflix only offered an email address that they never check.  In the end she got her bank to revoke the payments. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This just shows that a lot people have no idea how to properly manage their money and that is just sad. What's even more sad is that blog site, where they ran out of characters to fully type out their title.

Helping members who haven’t been watching cancel

Is Cancel the name of a show? 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list