COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
7 minutes ago, DrJankenstein said:

I seen a stat recently something along the lines of "the average age of death for covid victims was 79 with 4 underlying health conditions unvaccinated and 84 with 5 underlying health conditions for vaccinated". Take that with a pinch of salt, but naturally older people are more vulnerable. I then think of child suicide increasing (I didn't even know children did that), and that's why I come to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it.

As I mentioned in my earlier reply, the death cases isn't the only thing to consider, many people that get COVID and survive still have to take up space in the healthcare system. Even just a few hundred cases a day, is still hundred of daily cases the healthcare system was NOT dealing with prior to this.

Focusing on "it's just old people dying from it anyway" is the wrong way to look at it.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

11 minutes ago, DrJankenstein said:

I've explored these points in depth and, bear in mind this is just my opinion, I think the lockdown blunted it by a very small %. 

It's difficult to assess the impacts in a fully comprehensive way, but it's always worth remembering that lockdowns are a reactive rather than proactive tool, and they have typically been implemented in response to high levels of infection or mortality. It you look at patterns of things like mortality, lockdowns are typically instituted part way along an upward curve, the curve tends to peak or plateau about 2-3 weeks after the instituting of lockdown and then rapidly falls off. I don't have a crystal ball to be able to predict exactly what would happen in the absence of a lockdown, but it wound stand to reason that things like mortality would continue to escalate without actions.

The point in lockdowns is generally to "flatten the curve" of infection or mortality, which by and large they do succeed in achieving.

However, they're a blunt instrument that only becomes essential because a number of countries catastrophically mismanaged the initial phases of the Covid-19 pandemic.They would have been totally unnecessary had rapid closing of borders, aggressive testing regiments and track-and-trace (which in the UK still doesn't work properly) been priority actions. in about January/February 2020.

32 minutes ago, DrJankenstein said:

I seen a stat recently something along the lines of "the average age of death for covid victims was 79 with 4 underlying health conditions unvaccinated and 84 with 5 underlying health conditions for vaccinated". Take that with a pinch of salt, but naturally older people are more vulnerable. I then think of child suicide increasing (I didn't even know children did that), and that's why I come to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it.

I strongly agree with @WkdPaul regarding the impacts above and beyond mortality, but I also think the approach of saying "it only really impacts the elderly and people with underlying health issues" is a bit callous. My wife is in her early thirties and is deemed high-risk because of existing respiratory conditions; I don't think having a long-term illness or being old should somehow devalue one's life relative to a healthy or young person.

Most studies suggest that despite the average age of a Covid-19 mortality victim being approximately 78 in the UK, these people would live on average approximately 7 years had they not become ill with the virus. And although there has been a slight uplift in things like suicides and familial homicides (the former especially amongst younger groups), excess mortality amongst most other groups has actually declined during the pandemic as less people in the younger groups (particularly under-40) have substantially decreased risk of death. The transition to working from home and the significant reduction in average mileages people are doing, for instance, have resulted in the biggest decline in mortality due to road accidents in recent history (one of the main killers of younger people).

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

Its weird.. Norway recently removed its ban on masks and we woo'd!

But now were seeing import covid and a big spike of 1400 or 1500 cases in just a few days.. As if people have been non-stop partying lately.. As we have 😄

Now their considering locking down certain regions totally..

Fun times, i barely party but our neighboors do it alot.. Even when covid was bad.

Fun times ahead i guess.. Masks or not, i really dont want to get it even if i have 2 shots 😛

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

1 hour ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Its weird.. Norway recently removed its ban on masks and we woo'd!

But now were seeing import covid and a big spike of 1400 or 1500 cases in just a few days.. As if people have been non-stop partying lately.. As we have 😄

Now their considering locking down certain regions totally..

Fun times, i barely party but our neighboors do it alot.. Even when covid was bad.

Fun times ahead i guess.. Masks or not, i really dont want to get it even if i have 2 shots 😛

This is a big part I think lol. We're seeing the same thing here and end up in a yoyo effect.  Restrictions put in place -> infections go down -> restrictions lifted -> people happy, people party, infections surge -> new restrictions etc. etc.

Honestly the worst thing about this is how political it has gotten. I just browsed through some comments on some other forums and people start justifying not taking the vaccine with their disagreement how the government handled it. I don't understand the reasoning. That's saying "the government has failed me, let's screw over everyone except the government ". Yet they still proclaim they'll do their part in sticking to countermeasures...

1 hour ago, HM-2 said:

but I also think the approach of saying "it only really impacts the elderly and people with underlying health issues" is a bit callous. My wife is in her early thirties and is deemed high-risk because of existing respiratory conditions; I don't think having a long-term illness or being old should somehow devalue one's life relative to a healthy or young person.

I think what is hard to grasp and communicate is how far beyond yourself this goes. Yes you (not you, literary you) are right that teens or young adults run very little risk, but they don't seem to (want to) understand that they put others that may be more susceptible at more risk as well.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 hours ago, WkdPaul said:

As I mentioned in my earlier reply, the death cases isn't the only thing to consider, many people that get COVID and survive still have to take up space in the healthcare system. Even just a few hundred cases a day, is still hundred of daily cases the healthcare system was NOT dealing with prior to this.

Focusing on "it's just old people dying from it anyway" is the wrong way to look at it.

2 hours ago, HM-2 said:

I strongly agree with @WkdPaul regarding the impacts above and beyond mortality, but I also think the approach of saying "it only really impacts the elderly and people with underlying health issues" is a bit callous. My wife is in her early thirties and is deemed high-risk because of existing respiratory conditions; I don't think having a long-term illness or being old should somehow devalue one's life relative to a healthy or young person.

Most studies suggest that despite the average age of a Covid-19 mortality victim being approximately 78 in the UK, these people would live on average approximately 7 years had they not become ill with the virus. And although there has been a slight uplift in things like suicides and familial homicides (the former especially amongst younger groups), excess mortality amongst most other groups has actually declined during the pandemic as less people in the younger groups (particularly under-40) have substantially decreased risk of death. The transition to working from home and the significant reduction in average mileages people are doing, for instance, have resulted in the biggest decline in mortality due to road accidents in recent history (one of the main killers of younger people).

Just to clarify - I'm not saying that I do not care for old people dying from it. I've heard that one before, I'm not a fan of it either...

I'm saying that the marked effects of this lockdowns and other control methods has an effect on the young that can't be ignored when thinking about that. Also; the non-lethal effects of the lockdowns has to be taken into account. 

4 hours ago, WkdPaul said:

Plus long haul COVID, long term disability, and triggering of other illnesses (such as impotence, cardiovascular disease, metabolic disease, hearing/taste sensory loss, etc)

Death isn't the only negative outcome of COVID infection.

Some new info regarding vaccines, boosters, and delay between shots.

Seems boosters might be useful for nations that did the 3 week delay between shots (Israel, USA)

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Going through the steps of getting an admin job in a hospital.

I need to be double vaccinated (I am), but the existing frontline people like nurses don't?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

8 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Going through the steps of getting an admin job in a hospital.

I need to be double vaccinated (I am), but the existing frontline people like nurses don't?

lol what? the nurses don't? or is it like they only need one?

4 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

They don't.

Gov was supposed to step in but they persisted and won.

Our nurse situation was pretty abysmal even before covid.

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

Nurses don't need to be vaccinated against COVID here, the government tried to make it mandatory but they backed off because of shortage ; they can't do without the few thousand nurses that don't want to be vaccinated.

It's honestly depressing that people in healthcare don't really care about it, really. I heard an interview with a nurse that doesn't want to get vaccinated (I think I linked to it a few weeks ago, it's in French though), she said she's not anti-vax, yet all her arguments were pretty much anti-vax misinformation and selfishness BS ("I don't like to be told what to do" ... as if that's not the basic definition of what work is !!!)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

6 hours ago, WkdPaul said:

Nurses don't need to be vaccinated against COVID here, the government tried to make it mandatory but they backed off because of shortage ; they can't do without the few thousand nurses that don't want to be vaccinated.

I guess it depends on what nurses we are talking about and ofc the country.

Here, hospitals you would need to and being in "more critical" areas. While nursing homes etc, are kind of being let behind and is less prioritized which isn't great.

Like the drugging of elders and also going to work without being vaccinated when they clearly shouldn't and seen in europe killed a lot of the elder population. Which kinda make me never trust elder homes and such. Unless there is a reason to trust them.

As you may know I'm very pro-vaccination, but some people need to chill.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-family-plans-to-cross-u-s-border-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-for-8-year-old-child-1.5665424

Just caught my second case… yay.

First time was March 2020 and that was seemingly less brutal than this time even though I’m vaccinated. Pretty sure it’s delta since it started with a runny nose and sore throat. Woke up the next day with a 101.5 fever and all sorts of pain and shivering.

Fever finally is chilling out a bit now after a few days… I can only imagine how bad this would have been without a vaccination.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

On 11/12/2021 at 5:11 PM, WkdPaul said:

I heard an interview with a nurse that doesn't want to get vaccinated (I think I linked to it a few weeks ago, it's in French though), she said she's not anti-vax, yet all her arguments were pretty much anti-vax misinformation and selfishness BS ("I don't like to be told what to do" ... as if that's not the basic definition of what work is !!!)

Sounds like a lot of the parents at the local school board in my area. 

2 hours ago, Roswell said:

Just caught my second case… yay.

First time was March 2020 and that was seemingly less brutal than this time even though I’m vaccinated. Pretty sure it’s delta since it started with a runny nose and sore throat. Woke up the next day with a 101.5 fever and all sorts of pain and shivering.

Fever finally is chilling out a bit now after a few days… I can only imagine how bad this would have been without a vaccination.

Feel better soon - I've heard how rough it can be for some people. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

seems like there has been some bad news, around herd immunity and spread.

hopefully not too bad, but it can mess up unprotected areas like in the medical field or care homes. To people that has not been vaccinated or other reasons.

Spoiler

As it might be due to some about covid, maybe from the mutations, in how it affects those who already got the vaccine and spreading it further. which didn't seem like much of an issue around the start of the pandemic, when people started vaccinating and open lockdowns. Although some new variants was moving around, just not as bad? until the increase from then and now?

while vaccines should prevent the likelyhood of severe illness, it might reduce a lot in it's way to stop being a host (mutations doing this?) to spread it further to others while still being somewhat impacted.

something about that of being down to 70% protected and lower as time goes on. not sure if that is the case, but just to be aware. also depends on so much else and why. not quite the 80% or 90%. While the boosters might help a bit, its a good thing we do have that pill as another option. I guess there is still more testing around such a pandemic to be done?

also more on vitamin D.

not a cure, again not a cure. but could reduce severity quite a bit for being so cheap.

being above 25 to a stable <50 ng/mL

if the theory behind vitamin D and death reduction, it might see that it could change the outcome before becoming sick and if the pfizer pills is not around for a good time, while the spread continues. German study

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/13/10/3596

Edited by Quackers101

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I got my third shot last Saturday. For anyone interested, Walmart makes the process very easy. No appointments needed. Had to fill out two pieces of paper and bing bang boom. I think Walmart had Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. I just walked in and they set me up, I did remember my vaccine card as well so I have a record. Had ZERO side effects.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Well, here we go again. Another new variant has popped up in South Africa first and seen in Israel as well:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/what-we-know-about-covid-19-variant-detected-south-africa-2021-11-26/

This one has drawn scrutiny because it has more than 30 mutations of the spike protein that viruses use to get into human cells, UK health officials say.

That is about double the number of Delta, and makes this variant substantially different from the original coronavirus that current COVID vaccines were designed to counteract.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/who-meeting-friday-designate-new-variant-b11529-2021-11-26/

"We don't know very much about this yet. What we do know is that this variant has a large number of mutations. And the concern is when you have so many mutations it can have an impact on how the virus behaves," said Maria van Kerkhove, an epidemiologist and WHO technical lead on COVID-19.

"This is one to watch, I would say we have concern. But I think you would want us to have concern," she told viewers of an event on social media on Thursday.

Van Kerkhove said that it was good that variants were being detected, adding: "It means that we have a system in place."

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

x% to maybe x% of some heart stuff, which may cause problems or might help against this by aspirating an vaccine?

while its unsure on many fronts, and there might be more reports on the issue. mRNA and heart problems, some about inflammation close or in the heart?

a video by dr john, on something that is not out yet? and just a quick look at. but could be additional info if real or not. just more that indicate some kind of heart issues and that certain people might be more careful around mRNA vaccines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEBGl8MVE-c

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

mRNA and heart problems, some about inflammation close or in the heart?

I only heard about this in kids. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

I only heard about this in kids. 

just got to get to know more about it in general 😛 *runs away quickly*

45 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

x% to maybe x% of some heart stuff, which may cause problems or might help against this by aspirating an vaccine?

while its unsure on many fronts, and there might be more reports on the issue. mRNA and heart problems, some about inflammation close or in the heart?

Your sentence is a bit hard to understand, what are you on about exactly? Yes, a known rare (much less than 1%) side-effect of the mRNA vaccines is myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) or pericarditis (inflamation of the stuff that lines the heart) and they now think that the cause is simply that (part of) the injection happens intravenous (in a vein) instead of the intended intramuscular (in a muscle). This is why they land on aspirating, so they check whether they hit a vein. This is nothing new by now. In some weird way it's reassuring that it seems to be due to human error and not the vaccine.

35 minutes ago, tikker said:

This is why they land on aspirating, so they check whether they hit a vein. This is nothing new by now. In some weird way it's reassuring that it seems to be due to human error and not the vaccine.

just didn't want to say anything outright. a bit wishy-washy.

its still not fully known about it, that it might still go into the blod even when you have been aspirating. also it seems that japan might do a lot more aspirating than others when it comes to this? And unsure about what this will mean now or in the future about this.

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

just didn't want to say anything outright. a bit wishy-washy.

its still not fully known about it, that it might still go into the blod even when you have been aspirating. also it seems that japan might do a lot more aspirating than others when it comes to this? And unsure about what this will mean now or in the future about this.

Of course it will enter the blood at some point. In fact, there are many blood vessels in your muscles, which is the reason for injecting there, so it will be absorbed and processed quickly, without the more invasive procedure of injecting directly into the veins. Just like your shower soap probably says "keep away from eyes", because it is irritating for those areas, vaccines can be irritating to veins potentially leading to these complications.

On 3/21/2020 at 8:47 AM, akio123008 said:

Pro tip:

- toilet paper

- paper towels

- tissues

- napkins

- and other papery products

Can be used interchangeably. 

Consider not being picky this time when the tissues you wanted aren't there but you're right next to a pile of toilet paper.

Use a rag.

or sock

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

On 11/16/2021 at 6:07 PM, Quackers101 said:

seems like there has been some bad news, around herd immunity and spread.

hopefully not too bad, but it can mess up unprotected areas like in the medical field or care homes. To people that has not been vaccinated or other reasons.

Reveal hidden contents

As it might be due to some about covid, maybe from the mutations, in how it affects those who already got the vaccine and spreading it further. which didn't seem like much of an issue around the start of the pandemic, when people started vaccinating and open lockdowns. Although some new variants was moving around, just not as bad? until the increase from then and now?

while vaccines should prevent the likelyhood of severe illness, it might reduce a lot in it's way to stop being a host (mutations doing this?) to spread it further to others while still being somewhat impacted.

something about that of being down to 70% protected and lower as time goes on. not sure if that is the case, but just to be aware. also depends on so much else and why. not quite the 80% or 90%. While the boosters might help a bit, its a good thing we do have that pill as another option. I guess there is still more testing around such a pandemic to be done?

also more on vitamin D.

not a cure, again not a cure. but could reduce severity quite a bit for being so cheap.

being above 25 to a stable <50 ng/mL

if the theory behind vitamin D and death reduction, it might see that it could change the outcome before becoming sick and if the pfizer pills is not around for a good time, while the spread continues. German study

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/13/10/3596

Yay! Someone else who doesn't run to the doctor first thing!

(don't get political please people.)

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅