COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
27 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

?????

You talked about vitamin d, not vaccines...

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

21 minutes ago, EDKTech said:

and?

released 12h ago, although various reports stating different things about it, but here is a new positive one:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/study-shows-how-vitamin-d-could-halt-lung-inflammation-in-covid-19

"it does not justify its use as a protective measure against COVID-19 infection"

"The study suggests that vitamin D could be a therapeutic option for COVID-19 thanks to its role in hyper-inflammation."

"This study reveals a potentially unique role that vitamin D plays in the activation of T-cell functions that regulate inflammation in COVID-19, and understanding these regulatory pathways may provide information that will lead to the development of novel therapies for the treatment of acute COVID-19"

"After administering vitamin D in test-tube experiments, they observed reduced lung cell inflammation."

(older one)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7385774/

Low vitamin D levels have been associated with an increase in inflammatory cytokines and a significantly increased risk of pneumonia and viral upper respiratory tract infections. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with an increase in thrombotic episodes, which are frequently observed in COVID-19. Vitamin D deficiency has been found to occur more frequently in patients with obesity and diabetes (and color of skin EDITED by me). These conditions are reported to carry a higher mortality in COVID-19. If vitamin D does in fact reduce the severity of COVID-19 in regard to pneumonia/ARDS, inflammation, inflammatory cytokines and thrombosis, it is our opinion that supplements would offer a relatively easy option to decrease the impact of the pandemic.

Edited by Quackers101

7 hours ago, EDKTech said:

This isn't about not going to the doctor for every single thing. Vitamins contribute to overall health and can have a "boosting" effect to certain things, but a vaccine actually protects you and cannot be substituted with a bit of vitamins, as @Quackers101 and their source(s) say. Moreover vitamin D is a fat-soluble one, increasing the risk for an overdose and secondly those sources talk about either a vitamin D deficiency in these patients or a not-available-to-you form of it.

I had a scan through the Nature Immunology paper, and in the conclusion you find:

These data identified the VitD pathway as a potential mechanism to accelerate shutdown of TH1 cells in severe COVID-19. From experience in other diseases, it is likely that VitD will be ineffective as monotherapy. Combination therapy could potentially ameliorate significant adverse effects of other drugs, for example high-dose corticosteroids, including over-immunosuppression or metabolic side-effects. An important consideration of VitD therapy in COVID-19 is stimulation of IL-6 production from CD4+ T cells. Although autocrine/paracrine IL-6 induces IL-10 in these cells, IL-6 could potentially have pro-inflammatory properties on other cells. These possibilities may be mitigated by adding VitD as an adjunct to other immunomodulators, such as corticosteroids or JAK inhibitors13. Of note, two randomized clinical trials with calcifediol, a VitD analog with high bioavailability not requiring hepatic 25-hydroxylation, comprising >1,000 patients together, reported reductions in risk of intensive-care unit admission or death when used in addition to standard care (odds ratio of 0.13 and 0.22, respectively52,53). These findings are not necessarily specific to COVID-19, as VitD can protect against acute respiratory tract infections in general17.

In other words, vitamin D could potentially help you get through COVID-19. It is not an alternative to the vaccine.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

So we've had Alpha, Beta, Delta and now Omicron, when it hits Omega we're all screwed 😄

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, tikker said:

Vitamins contribute to overall health and can have a "boosting" effect to certain things,

🙂

but a vaccine actually protects you and cannot be substituted with a bit of vitamins, as @Quackers101 and their source(s) say.

never claimed that, although sure... maybe getting that thought from what I posted, not what "my sources would say" either.

Moreover vitamin D is a fat-soluble one, increasing the risk for an overdose

It seems the body is good at regulating it and depending on what vitamin D you use. so overdosing would be hard, but it really depends on your level and how much you really take. As stated in one of them, megadosing of said vitamin could have more of a negative impact. Also that when around 50% in the US population or other places will have some deficiency like vitamin D, also when the winter time comes in reduced sunlight exposure. So "boosting" your vitamin D level if you are unsure, shouldn't cause any harm, unless you somehow take a bunch of it from else where.

also added note, it's not about just being that deficient as well, but to at least reach to the point where it's the healthiest level of such vitamin and boosting it a little more shouldn't do more harm than good.

Edited by Quackers101

22 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

never claimed that, although sure... maybe getting that thought from what I posted, not what "my sources would say" either.

I wasn't saying you or your sources claimed VitD could replace the vaccine. I said they don't.

26 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

It seems the body is good at regulating it and depending on what vitamin D you use. so overdosing would be hard, but it really depends on your level and how much you really take. As stated in one of them, megadosing of said vitamin could have more of a negative impact. Also that when around 50% in the US population or other places will have some deficiency like vitamin D, also when the winter time comes in reduced sunlight exposure. So "boosting" your vitamin D level if you are unsure, shouldn't cause any harm, unless you somehow take a bunch of it from else where.

Taking it from elsewhere is the point and problem. It's generally diffifcult to overdose them through food, except for things like VitA in livers. Megadosing means taking more than the daily recommended amount which in reality will mean people popping a pill or two. There's no real need for supplements if you have a balanced diet.

34 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

also added note, it's not about just being that deficient as well, but to at least reach to the point where it's the healthiest level of such vitamin and boosting it a little more shouldn't do more harm than good.

This is not always a safe line of reasoning when dealing with chemicals and pharmaceuticals. There's also a significant difference between boosting someone deficient to normal levels vs. boosting normal levels to even higher levels. People now thinking "oh I should add some extra VitD to my diet" (through pills, a few extra oranges won't hurt) is exactly what you don't want, in before it's Ivermectin all over again. It's why I pointed out that what they looked at comes in a form that you cannot get over the counter.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 hour ago, tikker said:

Taking it from elsewhere is the point and problem. It's generally diffifcult to overdose them through food, except for things like VitA in livers. Megadosing means taking more than the daily recommended amount which in reality will mean people popping a pill or two. There's no real need for supplements if you have a balanced diet.

only that we don't quite know the recommended part for vitamin D. and that one shouldn't at least go over 4000 units or 100mcg of vitamin D3. that it generally wouldn't harm in taking 12mcg which is around 500 units , daily in darker periods like this. Also if you consider daylight as an recommended "diet" for the body in the production of vitamin D?

Spoiler

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/vitamin-d-myths-debunked

But because we don’t consume large enough quantities of these foods, they can’t be our sole source of vitamin D. That’s why foods like milk, cereal and some orange juices are vitamin D2- and D3-fortified. (Since the 1930s, manufacturers have voluntarily enriched these foods with vitamin D to help reduce the incidence of nutritional rickets).

Another avenue to get vitamin D is by taking supplements. These come in both pill and liquid form. They are generally recommended for people with fat absorption issues, lactose intolerance, milk allergies, as well as for people with darker skin tones or with certain medical conditions that prevent them from going outdoors.

That’s a misconception. Vitamin D is stored in fat. So, if you’re a small person and getting large doses, you have less available storage, which means vitamin D goes into your blood and you may absorb too much calcium, creating a toxic situation. And it’s unclear how long you have until you exceed the upper limits of vitamin D intake before it becomes dangerous.

Just recently, I treated an infant whose blood vitamin D level was in the hundreds when it should have been between 20 and 50 nanograms/milliliter (ng/mL). The child, who developed high blood calcium (hypercalcemia), had to be hospitalized and treated with several types of medications to get the calcium levels down to normal levels.   

You can now get 50,000 IU (1,250mcg) tablets over the counter. ... , but for most people, that amount will raise your vitamin D level too high.

When shopping for supplements, always look for ones that offer the daily recommended allowance (RDA) you need for your age bracket: For most healthy people, it’s 600 IU per day, but for people over age 70 who need a little more—it’s about 800 IU (15 to 20mcg daily EDIT). That’s because, as people age (women after menopause, in particular), they less efficiently synthesize vitamin D and absorb calcium. Babies should be getting smaller amounts in their first year of life, between 200 and 400 IU.

-(Modest increases above the RDA are not likely to cause harm.)-

more rant and various stuff posted.

Spoiler

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3356951/

Vitamin D insufficiency affects almost 50% of the population worldwide. (some state it might be more in 1 out of 100, as in 1% or more and not 50% EDIT)

"Vitamin D insufficiency has been defined as a 25(OH)D of 21–29 ng/mL"

others want it more in the 30 to 50ng/mL, which is higher than what is the baseline of recommended levels. as some go with 20-40, while being in the upper 40-50ng/mL shouldn't be too bad.

from a google search not sure, also that this is more complex/regulated process than in a pill form and its content?

Another study found that 30 minutes of midday summer sun exposure in Oslo, Norway (lighter skin toned people and skin exposure to the sun EDITED) was equivalent to consuming 10,000–20,000 IU of vitamin D

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/how-to-get-vitamin-d-from-sunlight/

If you choose to take vitamin D supplements, 10μg (10mcg) a day will be enough for most people.

People who take supplements are advised not to take more than 100μg (100mcg) of vitamin D a day, as it could be harmful (100 micrograms is equal to 0.1 milligrams).

This applies to adults, including pregnant and breastfeeding women and the elderly, and children aged 11 to 17.

The Vitamin D debate with Professor Tim Spector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCAvvZXUW08

Edited by Quackers101

5 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

only that we don't quite know the recommended part for vitamin D. and that one shouldn't at least go over 4000 units or 100mcg of vitamin D3. that it generally wouldn't harm in taking 12mcg which is around 500 units , daily in darker periods like this. Also if you consider daylight as an recommended "diet" for the body in the production of vitamin D?

I don't go by sunlight, I simply mean the RDA values from health authorities. I am aware it's a quite common deficiency, but as indicated certain foods are also enriched and the quotes you provide give the explanations why supplements typically wouldn't really be necessary, unless you fall in the mentioned "risk" groups.

And it’s unclear how long you have until you exceed the upper limits of vitamin D intake before it becomes dangerous.

You left out the headline preceding that quote: "The more vitamin D you take, the better? Absolutely not." This sentence is intended as a warning and not an encouragement to just take it. Whatever you do, stick to the instructions of either the packaging or your doctor that correspond to your age group.

who makes up these variant names... like be creative people! 

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Media jumping to covering the new variant really quickly; it has now flooded my news feed. 😂

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

23 hours ago, adarw said:

who makes up these variant names... like be creative people! 

Location is apparently now politically incorrect.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 hour ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Location is apparently now politically incorrect.

it's not about political correctness, it's to avoid racist bigots to harass people from something they have no control over.

While my wife is Canadian, she's from Chinese origins, and there ARE people that yelled at her because of the "China virus".

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Kids finished their pfizer series yesterday morning. They were fine until tonight. My 10 year old son is reporting fatigue, just wants to go to sleep. Much earlier than normal. No other symptoms. My 8 year old daughter has no symptoms at all.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I take 1000iu Vitamin D every day. I have a pretty dark complexion and am an indoors hermit.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 hours ago, WkdPaul said:

it's not about political correctness, it's to avoid racist bigots to harass people from something they have no control over.

While my wife is Canadian, she's from Chinese origins, and there ARE people that yelled at her because of the "China virus".

Sorry to hear this about your wife. Yes it stupid thing for people to do.

15 hours ago, WkdPaul said:

while in that way it makes sense, but to me, it's not going to take away that people do remember where it came from. Also if one take away all the other names, wouldn't the chinese/asian population become more targeted or reduced, by making people only remember it came from china? I guess it can reduce targeted actions against a country and their population on new breakouts, from traveling or others that, that might not want their business with X kind of people due to the recent outbreak in X region and think that somehow that is in a way to protect their business from being shut down?

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

while in that way it makes sense, but to me, it's not going to take away that people do remember where it came from. Also if one take away all the other names, wouldn't the chinese/asian population become more targeted or reduced, by making people only remember it came from china? I guess it can reduce targeted actions against a country and their population on new breakouts, from traveling or others that, that might not want their business with X kind of people due to the recent outbreak in X region and think that somehow that is in a way to protect their business from being shut down?

The issue is the location claims aren't where a new mutation originates, they're where it's discovered. The public perception of location of discovery and location of origin, as demonstrated here, is a very good reason for using more neutral terminology. 

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

the UK seems to warn more about covid being airborne. while we knew some of it, it seems like they want the WHO to make the virus to be considered as airborne... which can lead to even worse enforcement of rules and regulations. To hostility from some parts from the people, income and jobs, etc.

Could make the prices increase for a lot more products and global trade become even worse, if we start going harder on how we deal with covid or letting covid go out of control.

Ventilation of areas and some countries are very bad at that or doesn't have much space. like for example the small streets of italy, colder countries that lack ventilation but got decent/good wall isolation.

Could make the prices increase for a lot more products and global trade become even worse, if we start going harder on how we deal with covid or letting covid go out of control.

The problem is the response here in the US will widely vary. I heard New York declared an emergency. I haven't heard anything from Governor Whitmer, but I doubt Michigan will enforce any restrictions as no one will follow them anyway. We just gotta hope the hospitals dont get overwhelmed as bad. 

Now that being said, Ive seen mixed messages about the new strain. Ive seen articles pretty much saying its very bad. But Ive seen articles that suggest symptoms are minor and very much less severe than other strains of Covid. I really wish everyone could be on the same page. Mixed messages like that cause confusion and chaos.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 11/28/2021 at 5:32 PM, WkdPaul said:

As a Chinese American myself, it was definitely humiliating to have the leader of my own country put a racial face to the virus.

On 11/29/2021 at 1:44 PM, HM-2 said:

The issue is the location claims aren't where a new mutation originates, they're where it's discovered. The public perception of location of discovery and location of origin, as demonstrated here, is a very good reason for using more neutral terminology. 

Exactly, it's only now coming out that this new variant was already in Europe before it was reported by South-Africa ;

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/omicron-variant-covid-in-europe-netherlands-before-alert-raised/

With all the travel bans on South-Africa, all it's doing is punishing countries from reporting a new variant, this is NOT what we should be doing.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

18 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Now that being said, Ive seen mixed messages about the new strain. Ive seen articles pretty much saying its very bad. But Ive seen articles that suggest symptoms are minor and very much less severe than other strains of Covid. I really wish everyone could be on the same page. Mixed messages like that cause confusion and chaos.  

Journalism at its peak I guess. Even the simplest stuff gets misreported, so with all the subtlety involved with these variants (lots of "potentially"s) while the honest answer is we don't know, it'll just run rampant. Today we could say it doesn't look too bad while next week, after looking at the data in-depth, we may conclude it's the worst variant yet. That's hard to deal with.

I hope we get it under control soon. Two years of this is a bit much 😕

42 minutes ago, tikker said:

hope we get it under control soon. Two years of this is a bit much 😕

I’ve lost faith in that. Too many anti vaxxers. This is going to be the norm forever. Just like the goods and labor shortages, they are not going away either. Sadly we just have to come to terms with it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

26 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I’ve lost faith in that. Too many anti vaxxers. This is going to be the norm forever. Just like the goods and labor shortages, they are not going away either. Sadly we just have to come to terms with it. 

yeah, and the reduced efficincy, maybe it will be improved with updated vaccines and research? at least we have pills and others, to various vaccine updates.

Also the mutations, have it gone out of control to the point it will become seasonal? (something we hoped it would not become).