LTTStore.com soon to be ADA(AA) compliant? - US Supreme court allows blind people to sue online shops if their website is not accessible

rcmaehl

Source:

CNBC
LATimes

Summary:
The US Supreme Court has chosen to allow a lower court ruling that the Americans with Disabilities Act (As Amended), protects access to websites and apps, not just stores and restaurants

Quotes/Excerpts:

The Supreme Court cleared the way Monday for blind people to sue...retailers if their websites are not accessible to these people. The justices turned down an appeal from Domino’s and let stand a 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling holding that the Americans With Disabilities Act protects access not just to restaurants and stores, but also to the websites and apps of those businesses. Guillermo Robles, who is blind, filed suit in Los Angeles three years ago and complained he had been unable to order a pizza online because the Domino’s website lacked the software that would allow him to communicate. He cited the ADA, which guarantees to persons with a disability “full and equal enjoyment the goods and services ... of any place of public accommodations.” Last year, however, the 9th Circuit ruled for Robles and said the law applied to its online services as well as the stores. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce and business groups who said they represented 500,000 restaurants and 300,000 businesses joined in an appeal urging the high court to review the 9th Circuit’s decision. They complained of a “tsunami of litigation” and worried that judges nationwide would see the appeals court’s decision as “imposing a nationwide website-accessibility mandate.” But without comment or dissent on Monday, the high court said it would not hear the case of Domino’s Pizza vs. Robles. This is not a formal ruling upholding the 9th Circuit decision, and the justices could agree to take up the issue later if lower courts are divided. But for now, the court’s action strongly suggests that retailers will be required to make their websites accessible. Mark Whitley, president of Eastseals Southern California, praised the high court for “supporting the values by which the ADA was built upon.” Domino’s and the National Retail Federation issued statements saying they were disappointed in the court’s refusal to hear the case.

My Thoughts:
While I get where the ADA complaint is coming from, I am a terribly upset that additional groundwork wasn't set forth to prevent troll lawsuits. I've read horror stories of troll ADA complaints from newspapers to reddit's legaladvice sub and it's definitely not fun. This can easily be abused with automated detection of potentially infringing websites by detecting those using old, not screen-ready friendly content (looking at you Flash), and become mass troll lawsuits easily. Regardless, hopefully some good with come with this with the removal of more user-unfriendly site content (once again, looking at you Flash)

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 minute ago, Ruffleduffle said:

also flash is dead

That's what Flash wants you to think

1 minute ago, Ruffleduffle said:

arent there good tts tools out there for those ppl?

Some TTS is good but there can be a variety of site elements that can be images instead of text that some TTS software is very poor at (hopefully Machine Learning can improve this though)

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Some TTS is good but there can be a variety of site elements that can be images instead of text that some TTS software is very poor at (hopefully Machine Learning can improve this though)

i cant think it would be to difficult with pictures and stuff since there are really good ocr tools out there, just couple that with a tts and boom

Making websites accessible is a fundamental thing that should be followed by all.

But I guess some people do cut corners..

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Windows has a Narrator functions that works pretty well...

I can see why, and stand with the ability to have these profitable corporations cater to groups of people, but I really hope this isn't about filing lawsuit after lawsuit. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

But it's the ADA, this can't govern websites based in other countries can it? Isn't LTT Store a canadian website?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

But it's the ADA, this can't govern websites based in other countries can it? Isn't LTT Store a canadian website?

I'm sure a case could be made that by selling to US customers, and accepting US currency, they are operating within the US.

i can't imagine using sites while blind could ever be usable out side of things like wikipidia, a blind on ebay for example is a recipe for disaster, its already hard enough with both my eyes

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

LMG is a Canadian company, but whether this affects the store is dependent most likely on where the site is hosted - I know the forums are hosted in a US data centre. 

And although AODA (Canadian version of ADA) compliant websites aren’t mandatory for retail, it’s still good practice. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

How would this site change to accommodate?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Microsoft has an accessibility tool specifically for this use, no?

Working in the government contracting sector we have to ensure section 508 compliance on literally everything we develop. Even things that literally only 1 person in the world has access to and i have met in person and know for a fact they are not blind nor deaf nor colorblind, nor any of the other provisions. It is interesting that the ruling stopped short of mandating the same coverage as section 508.

508 compliance is a HUGE drain on resources not just in developing it but in testing and maintaining it. It doesnt help that every browser and every text reader works off a different non-standard system too.

While i agree that allowing easy access for disabled people is always great, forcing small companies or small projects to support that right out of the gate is a hell of a hurdle to jump through. Id be interested to see how they actually intend to enforce it as well. Just having the SC say something doesnt mean it magically means that the world changes.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

I can see where ADA is coming from and why it's important in US. I have also made an image in my head from US court system and this ruling really does fit in it because someone is going to make HUGE amounts of money from this and this ruling is also dumb as boot because of that.

Everyone can probably see that mom & pops shop, that made a web page back in the early 2000's as part of marketing campaign that was so cool and needful by the summer intern, getting sued by blind identifying scammer... person and loosing $50,000,000 because this kind of stupidy just is possible.

53 minutes ago, VanayadGaming said:

Do people really think that US legislation extends to other countries regardless? I mean seriously.

That has never stopped us.gov form sticking its nose into foreign affairs. That makes me wonder, whatever happened to kim dotcom and megaupload... I think the short version is, if you have any connection to the US whatsoever, however tenuous, they can use that to have a go at you if you upset them enough.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, VanayadGaming said:

Do people really think that US legislation extends to other countries regardless? I mean seriously.

I don’t think people think that. However, if you operate your business out of the US (eg, host a retail site off of American web servers or inside an American data centre), you are subject to US laws for that content. Full stop. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

This is honestly something I never thought about... how does one make a website accessible to blind people?

Im guessing formatting things with actual text so a narrator program to see and read it, rather then having that text in a image file or something. And I guess making your website able to be navigate with Tab? - Which has always been ridiculous way to do things if you ask me.

20 minutes ago, Sypran said:

This is honestly something I never thought about... how does one make a website accessible to blind people?

Im guessing formatting things with actual text so a narrator program to see and read it, rather then having that text in a image file or something. And I guess making your website able to be navigate with Tab? - Which has always been ridiculous way to do things if you ask me.

Things like having alternate text for images that explain to the blind person what image he's supposed to see, etc.

There's a shitload of different compliance levels. Here's the AODA compliance lists from Ontario:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-make-websites-accessible

ADA would be very similar.

3 hours ago, Sypran said:

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Things like having alternate text for images that explain to the blind person what image he's supposed to see, etc.

There's a shitload of different compliance levels. Here's the AODA compliance lists from Ontario:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-make-websites-accessible

ADA would be very similar.

You all also have to remember that legally blind is different from physically blind. You can still see but be blind in the eyes of the law.

But how are blind people supposed to know the website isn't 'accessible' when they can't see the website?

Spoiler

/s

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

On 10/7/2019 at 4:43 PM, Ruffleduffle said:

arent there good tts tools out there for those ppl? also flash is dead

noooo I still use flash for games on my chromebook

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu