LTTStore.com soon to be ADA(AA) compliant? - US Supreme court allows blind people to sue online shops if their website is not accessible

rcmaehl
On 10/7/2019 at 10:25 PM, silberdrachi said:

Working in the government contracting sector we have to ensure section 508 compliance on literally everything we develop. Even things that literally only 1 person in the world has access to and i have met in person and know for a fact they are not blind nor deaf nor colorblind, nor any of the other provisions. It is interesting that the ruling stopped short of mandating the same coverage as section 508.

508 compliance is a HUGE drain on resources not just in developing it but in testing and maintaining it. It doesnt help that every browser and every text reader works off a different non-standard system too.

While i agree that allowing easy access for disabled people is always great, forcing small companies or small projects to support that right out of the gate is a hell of a hurdle to jump through. Id be interested to see how they actually intend to enforce it as well. Just having the SC say something doesnt mean it magically means that the world changes.

Yeah that was my immediate first thought. Yeah dominos probably wont have an issue adding the functionality required but the same can't be said about a huge amount of people with websites related to their business or store. For small businesses this is going to be a huge issue. 

I haven't read through every post at the moment... But given that many countries have their own versions of laws like this... how exactly does the US think it's going to enforce this law globally. US companies or US based companies sure... but for those that aren't and who follow the laws in their own countries.. it seems like a lot of hot air again.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

15 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

I haven't read through every post at the moment... But given that many countries have their own versions of laws like this... how exactly does the US think it's going to enforce this law globally. US companies or US based companies sure... but for those that aren't and who follow the laws in their own countries.. it seems like a lot of hot air again.

It can't and won't enforce it globally. But it doesn't need to.

It can enforce it for any site that services the US, for any company that is from or operates out of America - and that includes non American companies, such as LMG (since their servers are in the US).

Additionally, a lot of the rules are similar or exactly the same. The AODA, which is the Ontario version of the ADA, is very similar in a lot of the rules. Therefore if something is compliant with one, it's typically already compliant with the other.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 10/8/2019 at 3:01 AM, VanayadGaming said:

Do people really think that US legislation extends to other countries regardless? I mean seriously.

For most business is cheaper to comply with the US regulations than creating one product for the US and other for the rest of the world.

On 10/8/2019 at 12:44 AM, rcmaehl said:

That's what Flash wants you to think

Swear to god, when people at work complain about browser or battery issues, and flash is there running wild. 
It's still kicking, and being a pain in the hole.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I feel like this compliance would be a lot easier if so many sites didn't rely on absurd animated banners that follow your scrolling, custom built drop down menus that fuck with your back/forward commands, and any other pointless Web 2.0/3.0/whatever.0 crap. 

On 10/9/2019 at 9:44 AM, dalekphalm said:

since their servers are in the US

Are you sure? Last I checked, the IP hosting linustechtips.com was located in OVH's Beauharnois data center in Quebec. (Not that it matters, as OVH doesn't cave to any enforcement agency despite being the place to host questionably legal content for years and years.)

The lttstore.com site is a Shopify store, so the responsibility of ADA compliance is wholly on Shopify if they are using an unmodified default store theme provided by Shopify. Of course, if you customize a default theme, ADA compliance becomes your problem, but all default themes on any locked down platform are the responsibility of the platform owner, since they're being provided by the hosting service itself.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

35 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Are you sure? Last I checked, the IP hosting linustechtips.com was located in OVH's Beauharnois data center in Quebec. (Not that it matters, as OVH doesn't cave to any enforcement agency despite being the place to host questionably legal content for years and years.)

Not being a part of the company, no, I am not sure. The IP geotag isn’t particularly conclusive though. 

35 minutes ago, kirashi said:

The lttstore.com site is a Shopify store, so the responsibility of ADA compliance is wholly on Shopify if they are using an unmodified default store theme provided by Shopify. Of course, if you customize a default theme, ADA compliance becomes your problem, but all default themes on any locked down platform are the responsibility of the platform owner, since they're being provided by the hosting service itself.

Indeed. I don’t know if their store is default or customized. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

This ruling only applies to businesses with a physical presence (a store, hotel, restaurant etc). It just expands the requirement to accommodate disabled people to online aspects of those businesses.

It does not affect purely digital businesses like LMG.

The ADA might need some updating to more specifically tailor requirements for the modern internet, but I think it's fine that there are laws making it possible for disabled people to share in the progress being made in online business.

In this case there were also certain offers that were only available online. So if a blind person couldn't access Domino's online, they could go to the restaurant... but end up paying more because the offer wasn't available there. That's a potential loophole for discriminating disabled people, which the ruling prevents.

Oh, and as for the discussion about international enforcement; bear in mind many other countries have regulations in this area too.