Iphone X exploded in US

arabelagaje

The incident took place in Washington, US. The user has reported that his 10 month old iPhone X has exploded while updating to ios 12.1. The user of the phone has tweeted  about the incident with the pictures of exploded phone. 

Apple support has responded to the tweet by telling this is not an expected behaviour and apple will further look into the issue to make sure it won't repeats. 

Dr7zbpLU8AAqeyF.thumb.jpg.77de3c27b9bf961ed8e5c3194b36a76c.jpg

The gadgets.ndtv.com  has contacted the user and the following was his response 

"This year early January I bought the iPhone and have been using it normally.” he said. The iPhone X was in process of getting updated to iOS 12.1 when, Mohamad says, he put it on charging. At a later stage, he says, “Dark grey smoke started coming from the phone. The update was completed and as soon as the phone turned on it started to smoke and caught fire.”

Mohamad, who told Gadgets 360 the incident occurred in Federal Way, Washington, claims he was using the official bundled Apple Lightning cable and wall adapter to charge his iPhone. However, he says that he had stop charging the phone before the "explosion".

“When I held the phone it was very hot and I drop the phone immediately. Then it started to smoke.” he added.

Mohamad has also told that apple has asked him to ship the phone back so that they can investigate further on the issue. 

Dr7zbpKU8AA4kiG.thumb.jpg.8b4a37fae2f2ed41a6e0b0b9b697e4c3.jpg

This looks like a rare occurrence but still it is a serious issue that has to be resolved. 

7 minutes ago, arabelagaje said:

Apple support has responded to the tweet by telling this is not an expected behaviour

Oh it's not? That's good. I can't imagine how hard it would be to get the exploding feature past the board of investors.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It's news when it happens to Apple. Not even two weeks ago an S7 exploded, we did get no news. It can happen to every manufacturer, one isolated case is really not news worthy. The bomb note 7 and Apple bandgate were news. This is aimed at media. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Oh it's not? That's good. I can't imagine how hard it would be to get the exploding feature past the board of investors.

Probably as hard as it was to get a flexy phone past investors ;)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, arabelagaje said:

Apple support has responded to the tweet by telling this is not an expected behaviour

Imagine how funny it would have been if they had said it was expected behaviour...

Proper response:

If this were a widespread issue I think it would have started happening sooner - then again we already know that Apple likes to sell their phones with undersized batteries, so this might be a consequence of the battery's untimely degradation which is only starting to show up on heavily used devices. We'll have to wait and see.

Dank memes:

1) Apple did it again, copying Samsung 2 years later!

2) It's a featuretm

3) He was holding it wrong

4) They removed the jack so the smoke wouldn't have an exhaust... I knew it!

5) They wanted iOS 12.1 to sound a bit like macOS Mojave, so they called it "Molotov"

6) Yo, the new iPhones are LIT

7) iPhone batteries are designed to maintain the perfect temperature

7.1) It's useful when you want to Tim Cook

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

It's news when it happens to Apple. Not even two weeks ago an S7 exploded, we did get no news. It can happen to every manufacturer, one isolated case is really not news worthy. The bomb note 7 and Apple bandgate were news. This is aimed at media. 

Cue several dozen exploding iPhones

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

35 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Of course its news if it happens to Apple, they present themselves as having high quality control, when your as confident as Apple is in your own products you open yourself up to this. If nobody reported on the Note 7 issues after the first battery issues then it could have caused alot of problems, I'm sure somebody said "Its news when it happens to Samsung" after the first report.

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

11 minutes ago, Meag said:

If nobody reported on the Note 7 issues after the first battery issues then it could have caused alot of problems, I'm sure somebody said "Its news when it happens to Samsung" after the first report.

Except the first report was 8 days after the phone went live, with many reports following in the next few days. We're talking about a 10 months old device here. 

Yeah......I have a Megumin wallpaper on my Note. 

Ya'll know what's going to happen next 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

7 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Except the first report was 8 days after the phone went live, with many reports following in the next few days. We're talking about a 10 months old device here. 

Obviously I'm not trying to say that the Note 7 battery issues weren't a problem, they were, more so than this, just wanted to make that clear first. But a mobile device should not just catch fire like this, especially one from an organisation that prides itself in its quality control, even more so in a device that is only 10 months old. 10 months isn't old, this is still an issue that matters that should be reported on. It is a potential health and safety issue, it needs attention.

Edited by Meag
Forgot to finish the sentence :P

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

Yeah, I think in this case it was probably some kind of damage caused by the user. No way it just self combusted after 10 months while it wasn't even charging.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 minutes ago, Meag said:

Obviously I'm not trying to say that the Note 7 battery issues weren't a problem, they were, more so than this, just wanted to make that clear first. But a mobile device should not just catch fire like this, especially one from an organisation that prides itself in its quality control, even more so in a device that is only 10 months old. 10 months isn't old, this is still an issue that matters that should be reported on. It is a potential health and safety issue, it needs attention.

We don't know that it did, it's more than possible the user damaged the device by dropping it which caused stress on the battery casing but may not have shown any other signs of physical damage (maybe a tiny dent or bend on the outer casing), it really doesn't take much to make a Lithium based battery go pop.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It's an odd story, to be sure, but this definitely isn't a Note 7-level issue.  Now, if Apple had a rash of fires, issued a hasty exchange fuelled more by an urge to resume sales than a genuine concern for safety, and started a recall when it became clear the exchange didn't work, that would be a Note 7-level issue.

Total baloney all I’m saying. One person out of all iPhone X’s sold? Not buying it until more people come forward. Possible, but it doesn’t look like it exploded tbh, looks like the backs been smashed in. Obviously wait until the investigation, but not quite right here.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

The phone behaved as intended.

You mean to say the phone was intended to explode? 

iphone x battery: Dr.macintosh Dr.macintosh  gimmie me the news!
Dr.Mac: I'm afraid you've got a bad case of letting out the juice!

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, Meag said:

especially one from an organisation that prides itself in its quality control,

First off, this is more than likely user induced given that it's a singular report and after ten months. 

That aside, regardless of how good a company claims their quality control to be, perfection is literally impossible. So no, a single explosion, especially being that it's ten months after the fact (highly unlikely to be a defect), is certainly not news.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Well, considering the S7 isn't a recent flagship I can see why it wasn't really picked up. That said, I do agree with you in that this isn't really that big of news. Though if this turns out to be happening to a large amount of iPhones.... then we get into newsworthy territory.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

2 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Yeah......I have a Megumin wallpaper on my Note. 

Ya'll know what's going to happen next 

I read that as Meganium and was whaaaaaat...?

250px-154Meganium.png

9 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I read that as Meganium and was whaaaaaat...?

250px-154Meganium.png

Should have been Typhlosion @D13H4RD

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

This might just be a freak occurrence, but it once again reminds me of my hate of apple and desire for them to go out of business. I just hate how they try to have a monopoly on everything to do with their product. No 3rd party repairs, No 3rd party sales they don't approve of, making deals with different company's and government agencies to push that agenda.

Then there is the fact they think that they designed everything and sue anyone that is competitive with them. OMG your phone is rectangular with rounded corners!! Even though that was out LONG before the original Iphone. OMG you are using gestures on your device! Pinch to zoom was ours first!!!

Then there is their lack of innovation lately. They haven't really pushed the tech envelope in close to a decade. They release almost identical products like an Ipad or Macbook with an extra USB PORT!!!! WOW!! They charge more for their products, but you are getting less. They lock down their product so much that you are forced to use only what they allow which is the only reason they can claim better stability.

In the end I see no reason to ever purchase an apple product over the alternatives.